• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: The Xbox 3's Code Name Is "Durango" [Crytek: Durango Meeting In London]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something is so going down over the next week or so ... it's all coinciding too well!

A whole lot of nothing I suspect. The consoles nor aren't ready to be shown yet and outside of misleading tech demos running on target hardware, software probably doesn't exist yet in any presentable form.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Didn't think about that to be honest. But wouldn't it be a Cryengine conf then not a Durango conf? Unless they are doing an Xbox exclusive engine

Doubtful it is exclusive, Crytek seems pretty high on Wiiu, with rumours saying Crytek UK has something running on it.

I wonder if we'll see a Crysis 1 & 2 combo pack for next Box launch. Both games maxed out? That would be cool.

Yeah, i would buy that. I really liked Crysis 2 and would love a maxed out version with better textures. Even with the texure pack, Crysis 2 on pc still has a lot of weak textures.

Didn't think about that to be honest. But wouldn't it be a Cryengine conf then not a Durango conf? Unless they are doing an Xbox exclusive engine

I doubt Crytek is the only third party engine provider, Epic is certainly involved as well.

My assumption is that the specs aren't finished yet and Microsoft is using these events for two-way communication with developers.

TheOddOne

It's just a meeting for developers to get a grasp of what to expect. Don't read to much into it, Crytek is not making some uber exclusive engine for them.

MS has signed Cry-engine for a coupe of upcoming games, some XBLA (Class3) or stuff that has been hinted in joblistings.

DarkChild

Banned
It's just a meeting for developers to get a grasp of what to expect. Don't read to much into it, Crytek is not making some uber exclusive engine for them.

MS has signed Cry-engine for a coupe of upcoming games, some XBLA (Class3) or stuff that has been hinted in joblistings.
Where did you get that from?

Jonm1010

Banned
I doubt Crytek is the only third party engine provider, Epic is certainly involved as well.

My assumption is that the specs aren't finished yet and Microsoft is using these events for two-way communication with developers.

I haven't followed the rumors closely enough but as a reference point does anyone know how far out the final specs for the 360 were set in stone? I know fairly late in the game they upped the ram.

Curious because I would assume use that as my gauge in determining whether the specs are finalized yet or not.

Where did you get that from?

Class3-on-CryENGINE-3.jpg

This game (a zombie game codenamed "Class 3") is running on CryEngine.

StevieP

Banned
I said your posting style is dickish. And it is. At least a lot of times. Even when I agree with what you are saying. And don't get me wrong a decent amount of the stuff you say makes sense but your execution and style is often times grating, somewhat arrogant, borderline demeaning and rather antagonistic at times. I would suspect it is why almost all of your responses to posts(at least the ones I've read) lead to an argument of some sort when half the time they probably shouldn't.

As for the subjective vs objective tripe I allowed myself to be dragged into. My final response was in an above post. If the explaination and subsequent logic underlying it doesn't suit you, so be it.

If you have an issue with something I am saying, by all means point it out and refute it properly. I welcome discussion.

A whole lot of nothing I suspect. The consoles nor aren't ready to be shown yet and outside of misleading tech demos running on target hardware, software probably doesn't exist yet in any presentable form.

Even in some hypothetical scenario where the hardware is near-final, you're likely going to get "target renders" unfortunately. CGI sucks

Yeah, i would buy that. I really liked Crysis 2 and would love a maxed out version with better textures. Even with the texure pack, Crysis 2 on pc still has a lot of weak textures.

I think you may be expecting a bit too much, in my opinion. The current "maxed out" version on PC requires a lot of beefy hardware/multiple video cards to perform decently. One with better textures would take even more beefy hardware than what it takes to max out Crysis 2.

I haven't followed the rumors closely enough but as a reference point does anyone know how far out the final specs for the 360 were set in stone? I know fairly late in the game they upped the ram.

Curious because I would assume use that as my gauge in determining whether the specs are finalized yet or not.

They had an idea of what they wanted in 2004 (near-final, though the CPU change from original targers was major) but they didn't settle the final specs until about 6 months prior to launch.

TheOddOne

I thought they licensed CE3 for big games. I heard about XBLA one, thx anyway.
There are a couple of job listings that where at Microsoft (now filled, so I can't backtrack) that specifically focused on Cry-engine experience. Those job listing where specifically focused on helping first party published games from independent developers.

Satchel

Banned

Or they could be a console second party a la Insomniac with Sony?

To the others. Nexuiz is running on CE3

elcranky

Banned
I don't understand what you are saying. What are "those things" you are referring to? I assume Halo 4 since that's what I mentioned, but I don't see at all how Halo 4 coming to 360 this year = new Xbox this year.

Those things were obviously referencing price cut and halo in the quoted material. MS has a publicly stated strategy of forward compatability, and I fully expect that enhanced Halo 4 will be a launch title. MS also loves segmenting its customers. With a price cut, MS will no longer have a $399 SKU. I expect 720 to launch with 399 and 499 SKUs, while maintaining 149/199/249/299 360 SKUs. Halo 4 will ship in sept for 360 and likely as a launch title in Nov or next march. If supply/yield is good, then they should launch in Nov. Given the publicly available information that is the optimal launch window. Non-public information may alter that, but given what we know that is the time.

I don't know, but this whole discussion reminded me of this interview: http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Going+Deep/Nick-Baker-XBox-360-Architecture/

I remember it being well worth watching, and perhaps you'll even find an answer to your question there.

Apparently there's more here: http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Behind+The+Code/Nick-Baker-Xbox-Architecture/

Deleting the tweet and twitter just confirms things. As others have said, he should have just tried to muddy the waters and throw people off after that. Its too bad because he probably didn't realize people know the Durango name.

Who's to say Halo 4 won't exactly be playable on the nextbox? They can easily pull a TP, or push it much further in differences, but still allowing them to be compatible in MP with each version. Med vs Ultra in PC-speak.

I really don't think we will see the new xbox for sale this year, but if we do I imagine Halo 4 will either have enhanced features on it, or a separate enhanced SKU for the nextbox that looks better but has the same online as the 360 version.

Krilekk

Banned
There are a couple of job listings that where at Microsoft (now filled, so I can't backtrack) that specifically focused on Cry-engine experience. Those job listing where specifically focused on helping first party published games from independent developers.

There is no such thing. That would be a second party developer.

themadcowtipper

A 2nd party is a developer who is eclusive to a company who remain indpendent .I dont think making one game(Ryse) with a company does that. They are a third party making an exclusive. Was Team Ninja a second party for doing Metroid the other M

A 2nd party is an indpendent developer who is eclusive to a company.I dont think making one game(Ryse) with a company does that. They are a third party making an exclusive.

But it is so fucking worth the money to moneyhat epic and crytek just so they optimize the engine for your platform. Benefits you with 3rd party games too.

TheOddOne

A 2nd party is a developer who is eclusive to a company who remain indpendent .I dont think making one game(Ryse) with a company does that. They are a third party making an exclusive. Was Team Ninja a second party for doing Metroid the other M
If a company works close with another company on a project, then it's a second party developer. This is the same case with Insomniac games, they are a third party developer, but because they made Resistance and Rachet for Sony; they are also listed as second party developer.

This situation is the same as Gears and Epic.

Duraaaaango, Durango Doug!

First Wii U now XBOX3 news, man this year is going to be epic!! Cant wait for GDC

GDC will be great as it always is but if you are expecting anything durango you will be disappointed. There is a reason they are having a developers summit a week before GDC.

themadcowtipper

But it is so fucking worth the money to moneyhat epic and crytek just so they optimize the engine for your platform. Benefits you with 3rd party games too.

Why would they have to be a 2nd party for that? Trust me crytek, epic will have there engine running an all systems. Nintendo and Sony will not let Crytek near their system if they are an Ms 2nd party.

If a company works close with another company on a project, then it's a second party developer. This is the same case with Insomniac games, they are a third party developer, but because they made Resistance and Rachet for Sony; they are also listed as second party developer.

its a second party if they are affiliated for working exclusively with that console maker or they are owned partly by the console maker.

I wouldnt consider EPIC, Crytek, not even Insomniacs to be 2nd parties

On the other hand, RARE, Retro Studios would be considered second party

themadcowtipper

its a second party if they are affiliated for working exclusively with that console maker or they are owned partly by the console maker.

I thought I explained that pretty well, guess not.

TheOddOne

That is your definition of it though. Why would you leave out a developer who works exclusively with a console maker on one franchise? Why do they not fall under the moniker "second party"?

I thought I explained that pretty well, guess not.
I don't get why anybody would be so up and arms about them being labeled second party. What is the real discussion here?

There are assumptions being made, which are far from true. Being labled second party doesn't make the Cryengine exclusive to one console, case and point Gears of War.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
GDC will be great as it always is but if you are expecting anything durango you will be disappointed. There is a reason they are having a developers summit a week before GDC.
Considering the amount of sessions and meeting places Microsoft has at this event, there'll be talk about Xbox Durango, and questions will most certainly be asked: http://www.microsoft-careers.com/content/gdc/events/

I don't expect any greater Durango revelation, but the system will be there in one way or another.

That is your definition of it though. Why would you leave out a developer who works exclusively with a console maker on one franchise? Why do they not fall under the moniker "second party"?

Because they are not owned by a first party and can at any moment go multiplatform just like Insomniacs did.

Rösti;35568322 said:
Considering the amount of sessions and meeting places Microsoft has at this event, there'll be talk about Xbox Durango, and questions will most certainly be asked: http://www.microsoft-careers.com/content/gdc/events/

I don't expect any greater Durango revelation, but the system will be there in one way or another.

Maybe we wont see the console nor get details of release and such, but maybe annonce its existence officially and show of some tech demos and announce games....

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt it but my guess is as good as yours.
I perhaps should have solidified my claim; what I meant was that while the system may not be physically present at GDC, it will be discussed amongst developers, press etc., and people that have seen the system and have knowledge about it's capabilities and current configuration will be there. I doubt someone starts to shout details about clock frequencies and who is manufacturing the processor, but here and there I think we can expect a few hints. And I would be surprised if the system is not mentioned (perhaps not by name, but as a concept) at Epic Games' preview of Unreal Engine 4.

TheOddOne

Because they are not owned by a first party and can at any moment go multiplatform just like Insomniacs did.
That doesn't take away that during that time they where second party developers. Insomniac use to be second party developer, but is not anymore.

It's like saying Rare was never a second party developer for Nintendo. Yet, they did it for years and that doesn't mean it did not happen.

themadcowtipper

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_development_party
The term "second-party" developer is a common misnomer used (erroneously) in place of subsidiary. It is colloquially used in reference to a to a first or third-party developer that specializes in development for a particular platform. Some of these studios may have exclusive publishing agreements or other business relationships with a particular manufacturer while maintaining independence
Bungie and Silicon Knights used to be 2nd party, Rare wss owned by nintendo, now owned by MS

Green Yoshi

I wonder if Durango is the thing the internet will go bananas for (an Eurogamer journalist said last week, that he saw something very impressive, the internet will go bananas for).

elcranky

Banned
No, they really don't. Nothing in this year's software offerings even hints at a 360 followup launching this year, there are way too many big 360 games scheduled that will soak up revenue that would otherwise be spent on a $399 console.

What part of forward compatibility do you not get? All of those games are going look and run better on 720. Having that software line-up for at least a year ahead of PS4 will be a huge strategic advantag, especially since Sony probably won't have the financial capability to create a machine that meaningfully outperforms a 2012 launch 720 in 2013.

themadcowtipper

They only did Too Human for Microsoft, but they can be noted as second party while Epic and Crytek who are making exclusive games for Microsoft can't be? What, I'm lost now.

No Silicon Knights did an exclusive for MS they were a 2nd party because Nintendo own part of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom