• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-screen footage of DOOM running on the Switch handheld

The early visuals had looked suspiciously impressive if it had kept the 60fps. Seems like it's 30 then. Mostly expected, but for Doom the lightning slick 60fps was part of the appeal.

Still, cool for a handheld.

Doom on A10X/A11 would be something!

That would be incredible. Digital Foundry speculated that CPU was a bottleneck for 30fps DOOM, and the A11 Bionic's individual high power cores have the same per-core performance of an i5-6600U, which is leagues ahead of the Jaguar cores in PS4/One and the Cortex-A57 in Switch. The four low power cores in the A11 are still more powerful than Switch's cores too, and all six cores can be used simultaneously...

It's a crying shame that Apple designs the best ARM CPUs, because they'd be such a great fit for the Switch.

Aurongel

I'll take 30fps DOOM over 0fps DOOM. I never thought I'd see a game like that scale down so well to what is essentially a tablet.

OCD Guy

Despite my disappointment with the frame rate, I can't deny how impressive it looks in handheld mode.

Hopefully there'll be a demo, like there was on PS4 etc, so I can try it for myself. If it feels ok I'll buy it.

Yeah we can all compare it to PS4 and PC but in isolation seeing a first person shooter that looks like that on a damn handheld console is fucking impressive.

dugdug

Banned
I guess that's good?

Not sure why I'd pay $60 for the worst version of DOOM, but, it's cool that it exists for people who only have a Switch.

For me, personally, so long as it never dips below 30, I can probably deal with that.

I played the game at 60 on my PC, but framerate has never been a huge deal breaker for me (especially in single player stuff) so long as it's consistent.

I'm also still blown away at the notion of DOOM running on a handheld device. The footage looks incredible to me given the handheld nature.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They wanna hit the Holiday release date.... I would assume that notion controls or in general more updates are something that would happen if this game performs well... Just like Konami still releasing Bomberman updates because of its performance.

Whatever they learn from this release will be helpful for Wolfenstein 2 on Switch.

Meanwhile Capcom is still figuring out if the Mega Man Legacy Collection would run on Switch lol.

nikatapi

It's incredible to have such a game on a handheld. We come from the 3DS and Vita to this? Mindblowing, i'm SO getting this game.

ViolentP

Looks surprisingly good. Though my hands hurt just looking at it being played in handheld mode which kinda defeats the purpose of a buy for me.

This really does look so impressive given that it's on a handheld. I'm excited for it. I just hope they add in motion controls before final release. That would seal the deal for me.

Puts it into perspective.

3199076-img_8820.jpg

Visually it looks way way better than I was expecting, I hope they offer an option when docked for either increased resolution or increased fps like Fire Emblem Warriors though, will probably get it either way but the option would be nice.

I wonder what the actual controller latency is and if the latency is directly tied to the framerate or if it's a separate thread. I'm impressed on how good it looks. However, I hope it "feels" smooth and responsive. It looks fast on the video though.

Seriously if someone would have told me in january that the Switch could run Doom (2016) I wouldn't believe that person.

This is nearly unbelievable and the future looks bright for this small device. Now I am sure it can play (almost) every other PS4 game with a few downgrades here and there. Look at the size of that thing and then tell me you are not impressed with, the performance.

iavi

Gyro aiming with joycons when docked and I’d double dip

Otherwise, as good as it looks, it’s just a basic cut down port from the impeccable pc version. We need some switch extras

This is nearly unbelievable and the future looks bright for this small device. Now I am sure it can play (almost) every other PS4 game with a few downgrades here and there. Look at the size of that thing and then tell me you are not impressed with, the performance.

Not so sure about that one. Doom with IDtech6 was a technical marvel for what it did visually while requiring so little relative horsepower. We may not be so lucky with other games

Looks really great!
I haven't bought DOOM yet and I'm really torn on which version to get. I like the idea of having it portable on Switch but I also have a really powerful gaming PC so it would run amazingly on it. Maybe I'll flip a coin.

Nice to see all this positivity. Huh!

Anyways, I'm going to play Doom tonight at 30 fps with a pad on my PC. If it plays well enough, I'll be buying this port to have Doom (best game released last year) on hand no matter where I go.

OCD Guy

Looks really great!
I haven't bought DOOM yet and I'm really torn on which version to get. I like the idea of having it portable on Switch but I also have a really powerful gaming PC so it would run amazingly on it. Maybe I'll flip a coin.

It's cheap as chips right now on CD Keys for the pc version so maybe go down that route https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/doom-pc-cd-key-steam

I'm all digital on Switch but if I get this game it'll be Physical so I can burn through the campaign and then sell it...

Top Bottom