• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Super Mario Galaxy Famitsu scans (AUG 9)

SantaC

omg it looks like this might be the best Mario game ever afterall!

I wonder if the japanese version hits before US one. I might have to import like I did with SMS.

kman3000

As always the game looks fantastic graphically,artisticly,and gameplay wise.:D

But I do have one thing to say.....

**** YOU 3RD PARTY DEVELOPERS.:(

jett

D-Member
dark10x said:
Was the water pack really that bad? I really enjoyed the play mechanics of the game even with the pack. All of the games weaknesses (for me) stem entirely from poor level design for some of the stages.

Everything else about the game was great.

Quote for the truth. The gameplay mechanics in SMS are not only awesome, but also awesomely wasted in garbage level design. :|

traveler

Not Wario
CoolS said:
Seriously, I don't know much about Bioshock, but FPS all look the same to me these days. And I loved that genre ...

600$ said:
Seconded.

There's your problem. And I assume by "all FPSes look the same to you," you guys mean they all are in first person? I dunno how anyone could say this:

team_fortress_2_multi.jpg

and this:

126628-1-1.jpg

and this:

killer-7-1.jpg

and this:

bioshock_fairground_thumb.jpg

look the same.

Jirotrom said:
hmm... I actually hate the art style of bioshock, the art design is incredible though. They really nail a good feel, but I can't stand how the characters look.

Ah, I think I see what you mean. The actual grittyness and weird realism of the characters aren't attractive but the set design and overall aesthetic they're going for is phenomenal. Judging it from that perspective, I could see Galaxy topping it.

Enough of my derailing however, let's get back to Mario Galaxy. I mentioned it earlier but I haven't seen anyone else comment on it; are we looking at a battlefield-esque level in the middle of the third scan? (Mario is surrounded by cannons in the pic) The Battlefield levels in SMB3 were simply amazing and a throwback to those would OMFGZ levels of awesomeness.

Now like the N64 and its pad i start to think that Wii and wiimote was entierly made for this game.
It'll be a full moment of joy and awesomeness. I want this game so much. I think with the very little deception that sunshine was for me i'm less hyped that i should be but i'm sure i'll have my eyes O_O during weeks after i play the final game for the first time.

Innotech

Banned
ethelred said:
This is what NiGHTS 2 should look like.
I disagree. While it would be great if it lookedl ike this, a game like niGHTS is VERY dependent on a good framerate. Id much rather simpler graphics if it would make the gameplay lag-free and have an excellent fluid framerate.

jett

D-Member
Innotech said:
I disagree. While it would be great if it lookedl ike this, a game like niGHTS is VERY dependent on a good framerate. Id much rather simpler graphics if it would make the gameplay lag-free and have an excellent fluid framerate.

Mario Sunshine runs at 60fps I think. Nights 2 is a failure on just about every level.

Akai

Innotech said:
But I could have sworn that Mario Galaxy is running at 60 FPS...

Edit: Beaten...

Jirotrom

traveler said:
Ah, I think I see what you mean. The actual grittyness and weird realism of the characters aren't attractive but the set design and overall aesthetic they're going for is phenomenal. Judging it from that perspective, I could see Galaxy topping it.

You know... now that you posted that team fortress pic and reminded me about the game. That has to be my favorite artstyle of the year, next to persona 3 and mario galaxy. I still think Galaxy takes the crown "so far" in relation to the actual design.

Everything just seems so imaginative, and everytime we get new pics they just further confirm this. I really am uber excited to play through the game and see what the different worlds look like and how it will be playing them in 360 degree movement.

Akai said:
But I could have sworn that Mario Galaxy is running at 60 FPS...

Edit: Beaten...
I thought they stated it would be locked at 30, same with sunshine. Though I havent played sunshine in a long time so I can't remember if it was 60fps or not. I'm not saying I'm right btw, just wondering also.

1-D_FTW

Innotech said:

But it manages neither. It neither looks like Mario nor has Mario's framerate. Night's is a complete mess.

That said, Mario looks orgasmic.

traveler said:
There's your problem. And I assume by "all FPSes look the same to you," you guys mean they all are in first person? I dunno how anyone could say this:

team_fortress_2_multi.jpg

and this:

killzone-2-ss1.jpg

and this:

126628-1-1.jpg

and this:

bioshock_fairground_thumb.jpg

look the same.

Well those are the best that the genre has to offer... but if you look at the dozens of the other FPS that are out there to make a quick buck, they are all somewhat similiar.

loosus

Banned
Enduin said:
It kinda makes you wonder, does Nintendo give a lot of, or enough aid, to 3rd parties; or do 3rd parties really just not give a shit? Cause looking at SMG and 3rd party games(even most 1st party games) is like the epitome of night and day.
Probably just don't care. But there really isn't much reason for them to.

traveler

Not Wario
FlashbladeGAF said:
Well those are the best that the genre has to offer... but if you look at the dozens of the other FPS that are out there to make a quick buck, they are all somewhat similiar.

Every genre has tons of derivative crap that outways the good stuff. It's not exclusive to FPSes. And the point is that FPSes have varied appearances, not that there all great looking. Regardless of what I choose, the fact that there a 4 distinct looks right there is enough to prove my point.

traveler said:
Every genre has tons of derivative crap that outways the good stuff. It's not exclusive to FPSes. And the point is that FPSes have varied appearances, not that there all great looking. Regardless of what I choose, the fact that there a 4 distinct looks right there is enough to prove my point.

I agree. Didnt mean to single out FPS.

joesmokey

Can't wait for this game, it's nice to have something on the Wii to get excited about.

Boo Mario!

This is going to be hella fun to play.

bluemax

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Wait till you play it.

I'm guessing this means it controls nicely? Honestly the only thing I'm remotely concerned about at this point are the controls. Everything else looks ace.

traveler

Not Wario
joesmokey said:
Can't wait for this game, it's nice to have something on the Wii to get excited about.

Boo Mario!

This is going to be hella fun to play.

Did anyone ever translate everything it said under that picture, or was it just "You can turn into Boo Mario?" I'm more excited about that suit that the bee one. (Suits are back! YAY!)

The haunted world looks more than just a mansion, great.

I'm getting a Super Mario Bros 3 vibe from the variety of worlds.

I hope that there's a world smilar to World 5 in smb3.

ziran

Looks stunning! And I don't mean the graphics, which are awesome, I mean the range of levels and potential gamplay variety. It already looks like the most fun you could possible have in a videogame!! :D

Thanks for the scans Neo.

traveler said:
BORING FPS PICS AT AN OMG LEVEL!
This is a SMG thread of awesomeness, so please stop posting pics of FPS games.

Thank you.

Innotech

Banned
jett said:
Mario Sunshine runs at 60fps I think. Nights 2 is a failure on just about every level.
its built of many small areas in a large open void. NiGHTS is built on a constantly moving set of levels filled with all sorts of enemies and things on a large scale moving at the same time. I do think Sega could have upped the graphics a bit given more time but Im pretty sure it would take a framerate hit. However from what Ive seen Im honestly satisfied with the art direction and quality. I just want the game to play and sound like the original.

cvxfreak

dark10x said:
I've never said a shitty game with great graphics is good either. I do believe that a great game with terrible visuals suffers greatly as a result, however. It may still be worth playing, but much of the experience is sacrified. "Raw Danger" is a great example of this. The concept is great and the game itself has many quality elements, but the visuals and performance are SO POOR that it completely detracts from the experience.

What I've observed ever since we found out about the Wii's last-gen graphical technology is that Nintendo fans and others are willing to forgo PS3/360 level visuals, but would still like for the Wii's extra boost over the GC to be utilized. In other words, Nintendo fans would love to see games on par or better than last gen's efforts as far as the Wii is willing to take it.

Anyway, still no Japan release date. :( I don't mind having to import this from the US, but I'd really like it on day 1!

Innotech

Banned
cvxfreak said:
What I've observed ever since we found out about the Wii's last-gen graphical technology is that Nintendo fans and others are willing to forgo PS3/360 level visuals, but would still like for the Wii's extra boost over the GC to be utilized. In other words, Nintendo fans would love to see games on par or better than last gen's efforts as far as the Wii is willing to take it.

Anyway, still no Japan release date. :( I don't mind having to import this from the US, but I'd really like it on day 1!
yeah but in NiGHTS2 case Im not being too picky because, Ive waited 11 fucking years to play this game. Im not about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Emotions

This looks absolutely beautiful with a top-notch are direction the most important of all IMO.
I have no worries of how it'll play i am confident in Nintendo when it comes to controls.

traveler said:
Every genre has tons of derivative crap that outways the good stuff. It's not exclusive to FPSes. And the point is that FPSs have varied appearances, not that there all great looking. Regardless of what I choose, the fact that there a 4 distinct looks right there is enough to prove my point.

All FPS shooters dont look alike! But alot of them do look similiar.
3 of the games you showed are all coming out this year and one of them was on another system that had a totally different idea behind it than your typical FPS. Those games look great and shows the wide variety that the genre can have but almost everything else before it, that wasnt done by the best of the best wasnt trying so hard to be visually unique.

Alot of the other FPS seem to use the same engines or the same realistic look so you end up getting alot of games that look similiar as opposed to games in other genres.
FPS-2.jpg

Alot of this is the fault of the perspective, both from the player and the developer. The player only sees the game world through the eyes of the character so if all the game's worlds are set on Earth with highly detailed realistic weapons they are obviously going to look similiar. Its the best way to make a quick buck. Shoot shit up instead of trying something different, like the other games you mentioned do. Which of course sets them apart from the rest, making them the exception and a breath of fresh air.

Other genres (Action, Platform, Fighting, Adventure) seem to look the same from a gameplay standpoint instead of a graphic one. Hellboy and Conan have different styles, but both play like they want to be God of War or Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden.

PS. True Next Gen is Mario with waggle.
BELIEVE!
super-mario-galaxy-20070711110616131.jpg

:p

dark10x said:
How so?

It's an honest to god great looking Wii game and the first thing most comment are its visuals. You'll often find Wii fans claiming that visuals don't matter while I've always maintained that it is the entire package that matters most. When something on the Wii shows up with quality visuals (and this most certainly meets that criteria) everyone praises that aspect. If it truly didn't matter to them, why would they even comment on it? That's all.

Not to get all argumentative and such, but people who are not utter ninthings said that the Wii's hardware was "fine" in terms of graphics: not that graphics "didn't matter". Please see the constant bitching by even ninthings whenever a shitty looking game comes out. The point people had with "graphics don't matter" was really to THEM that GC++ Xbox+ graphics are A-OK. NOT excusing shoddy devs and their games...

If every game looked like Mario Galaxy (and judging by your reaction to this game) then even you would say "Wii graphics are OK" even if they're not ZOMG Xbox360 or PS3 calibre.

I'm saying absolutely nothing negative about Mario. It looks incredible and sounds like it will be a truly fantastic game. I can't wait. I detest Nintendo for what they are doing to the industry, but I LOVE Mario. The Mario platformers remain some of my favorite games of all time and it's one series I could never ever ignore.

I'm just glad that you're not moaning what "could have been" for Mario on a machine powered similar to 360 and PS3 for once. :p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
ho shit. if anything makes me go wii60, this'll be it. that sky world screen on the lower right of the first page brings tears to my eyes - tears of gratitude and joy. :lol

Innotech

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Not to get all argumentative and such, but people who are not utter ninthings said that the Wii's hardware was "fine" in terms of graphics: not that graphics "didn't matter". Please see the constant bitching by even ninthings whenever a shitty looking game comes out. The point people had with "graphics don't matter" was really to THEM that GC++ Xbox+ graphics are A-OK. NOT excusing shoddy devs and their games...

If every game looked like Mario Galaxy (and judging by your reaction to this game) then even you would say "Wii graphics are OK" even if they're not ZOMG Xbox360 or PS3 calibre.

I'm just glad that you're not moaning what "could have been" for Mario on a machine powered similar to 360 and PS3 for once. :p
Im pretty much satisfied with GCN/XBOX level graphics, but I agree with you. If every Wii game looked as good as MArio Galaxy and a few other Wii games, nobody would complain.
I just find it ironic that people used to think the Ps2 was hot shit a couple years ago and suddenly its unplayable garbage visually. but whatever.

traveler said:

and this:

and this:

and this:

look the same.

Enough of my derailing however, let's get back to Mario Galaxy. I mentioned it earlier but I haven't seen anyone else comment on it; are we looking at a battlefield-esque level in the middle of the third scan? (Mario is surrounded by cannons in the pic) The Battlefield levels in SMB3 were simply amazing and a throwback to those would OMFGZ levels of awesomeness.
They're all guys...holding guns...

Krowley

Wow.. Just beautiful.

I think this has a great chance to be one of the best games of this generation.. Greatness just pours off it in waves. If there is a better wii game released in the next two years, I'll be shocked (and I'm a huge metroid fan with a lot of anticipation for that game) This is just pure magic.

Neo C.

Linkhero1 said:
That looks amazing. I can't wait for this game. WTF can't third parties get their games to look this good.
There surely are a lot of third parties which haven't done their job well. We shouldn't forget though, the SMG-team is quite big (about 50 persons) and the devs have perhaps 2 years or more for the development. I can imagine to see in 2008 some competitive 3rd-party stuff.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Innotech said:
Im pretty much satisfied with GCN/XBOX level graphics, but I agree with you. If every Wii game looked as good as MArio Galaxy and a few other Wii games, nobody would complain.
I just find it ironic that people used to think the Ps2 was hot shit a couple years ago and suddenly its unplayable garbage visually. but whatever.
It's not unplayable, but many PS2 games have aged pretty badly and lose something as a result. Of course, I also believe that there are loads of great PS2 games that look better than most of the junk on Wii (not the hardwares fault, obviously).

fernoca

:O!!! (at the Galaxy pics/scans)...

And... >:| !! remove those freaking non-Mario/first person shooter -pictures from here!!
If I went to a Halo 3 thread and started posting pictures of Brawl..that would be trolling..even if you're just replying to someone...in any case make a new thread for that or send that thorugh Private Messages...

Geeze!! >X|

Top Bottom