• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Shard said:
I thought you meant Charles Foster Kane...

Anyways, RIP EGM, I suppose, although the highly questionable design choices Milkman made since taking over (The Watchmen cover? Seriously?) means I should have seen this coming. This makes it, what, two gaming magazines to go down in flames under Milkman's watch? Even Rick Wagoner thinks his leadership skills are whack.

As for the inevetable firings, I hope Giant Bomb is accepting applications. That's all I'm saying.

dfyb

Banned
as long as they keep the key players (shane, garnett, etc) and continue doing their podcasts, i'm optimistic.

DuckRacer

SuperPac said:
Really sad news, especially since EGM is just shy of its 20th anniversary (February issue). :'(
Well, their next (and supposedly final) issue is the February '09 issue... hopefully they go out with a bang.
Classic_Gs said:
This is the important question here.
1UP Yours won't be killed off. 1UP.com still exists; it's just that EGM (and some of its employees) are probably getting the axe. Who knows what's happening with Shane, though.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
dfyb said:
as long as they keep the key players (shane, garnett, etc) and continue doing their podcasts, i'm optimistic.
Shane will jump ship to Sony before this is all over. Count on it.

Oh, Luke, while you're here, can you explain to me why Game Informer got the Halo 3 Recon/ODST scoop while EGM wasted their cover on Watchmen? Were you not returning Milkman's calls, did Milkman actually think that Watchmen would be anything more than a cheap cash-in on a movie, or did GI just get to you first?

Um, the magazine improved under Mielke (sp?)

The last couple issues have been some of their best, imo. EGM is in trouble for other much bigger reasons. Perhaps you've noticed that the economy is in the shitter and people go online for most everything now?

Barakov

Gold Member
We all kind of knew this was coming but still this is pretty awful. Like others have said hopefully everyone lands on their feet.

Gazunta

God DAMN It. The mag has done nothing but get better and better each issue lately. Sorry to all the EGM crew, hope you guys land safely and Hearst treat you right.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You, "Shane is going to sony!!" people are pretty callous douches. Some people are going to lose their jobs here.

Kolgar

It pissed me off that in one recent issue, some editor seemed to have banned the word "is" in favor of mandatory contractions (man, that was annoying), but this is the only bad thing I can say about EGM.

I will miss the magazine.

suaveric

twinturbo2 said:
I thought you meant Charles Foster Kane...

Anyways, RIP EGM, I suppose, although the highly questionable design choices Milkman made since taking over (The Watchmen cover? Seriously?) means I should have seen this coming. This makes it, what, two gaming magazines to go down in flames under Milkman's watch? Even Rick Wagoner thinks his leadership skills are whack.

As for the inevetable firings, I hope Giant Bomb is accepting applications. That's all I'm saying.

This has been a long time coming and I'm don't think Milke could have done anything to stop this. I'm sure that part of the reason Shoe left was because he saw the writing on the wall.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Y2Kev said:
You, "Shane is going to sony!!" people are pretty callous douches. Some people are going to lose their jobs here.
Those people hopefully won't be unemployed for long... but Shane WILL end up at Sony. Destiny demands it.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
it's the end of the world as we know it. :D

If this is true there will be layoffs. They will take down some of the podcasts, etc. These days really do suck.

LukeSmith

twinturbo2 said:
Those people hopefully won't be unemployed for long... but Shane WILL end up at Sony. Destiny demands it.

Where he ends up someday? Who knows. Where he's going to go? Ask him, he's probably around here somewhere.

Rlan

If I recall Shane had been given a more broad title, the "Senior Exec. Editor, Videogames".

The ones in trouble are Greg Ford (EGM Managing Editor), Giancarlo Varanini (EGM Senior Editor, who tends to have a knack of finding his way into places before they collapse) and Michael Donahoe (EGM Senior Writer).

Just how MANY Editors are actually required when your output is cut in half (James Mielke
Editor-in-Chief, Matt Leone Sr. Executive Editor, Shane Bettenhausen Sr. Executive Editor) is up for debate, but considering just how much the 1UP Staff love the Hot shoe shuffle (I think Garnett went through six different titles last year) you'lll never know where they'll end up.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
LukeSmith said:
Where he ends up someday? Who knows. Where he's going to go? Ask him, he's probably around here somewhere.

gaf mod.

can you even imagine such a thing?

No more EGM?

That sucks. That magazine did much to foster my budding love for video games as a wee one. I remember reading Ed Semrad's editorials in the back page.

:(

Much love and respect to anyone that worked on the magazine. An end of an era.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
ghst said:
gaf mod.

can you even imagine such a thing?
I need that gif of Mangod facepalming...

And Milkman, say hi to your new boss for me.

Kane1.jpg

AppleBlade

Y2Kev said:
Most of the people saying stuff like that probably live with their parents or are still in college. In the real world, losing your job, particularly in today's economic situation really sucks, it's not like you can just laugh it off and say "oh, well." The bills don't stop coming in, and now you have to go through a bunch of nervous interviews to try and get a decent job.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
damn this sucks....it was a good 15+ years I had with them. Fuck now this means I have to pay 15 bucks a month for edge...sigh.

gray_fox224 said:
You are so fucking stupid. How could be happy for people's jobs being affected?

You represent the scum in which inhabit the Earth.

Fuck you.

Whoa chill. Yeah his view is delectable, but freaking out like that isn't going to do much. There are people who deserve to be called scum and he isn't one of them.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
IDK if it's been posted yet in this topic, but Paidcontent is a very reliable source, for those that aren't familiar with it.

Doesn't mean that they didn't get this one wrong (hence the pulling)... I'm just sayin.

gray_fox224

Zedsdeadbaby said:
Whoa chill. Yeah his view is delectable, but freaking out like that isn't going to do much. There are people who deserve to be called scum and he isn't one of them.

I don't like people who laugh at the troubles of others, especially when it has to do with financial circumstances.

Y2Kev said:

Oh please. I've been out out of College for 6 months and haven't found a job. Thousands are losing their jobs everyday. How is 1UP any more special other than the fact that gaffers follow them around on the Internet like celebrities all day? Some people will be let go and it sucks but let's not get too melodramatic.
Is Kojima-san currently hiring?
The writing on the wall for EGM has been there for years. Hence, the departure of so many editors over time.

In other news, hopefully 1up.com remains fully intact.

gray_fox224 said:
You are so fucking stupid. How could be happy for people's jobs being affected?

You represent the scum in which inhabit the Earth.

Fuck you.

Understand that most people here are either younger than 16 or still living at home in their 30s without ever having financial responsibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom