• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

They updated Smash for the new Amiibos. I think they just decided to update the system to break an exploit while they were at it.

It was a really half assed fix too. They just updated the hilariously outdated WebKit version used by the browser and didn't even try to stop the more advanced stuff.

TunaLover

It was a really half assed fix too. They just updated the hilariously outdated WebKit version used by the browser and didn't even try to stop the more advanced stuff.
I wonder if they are even aware of haxchi, probably yes, but they won't bother to patch every DS game since only a small fraction of the users know this method, different to browserhax that was laughably easy to set up.

I wonder if they are even aware of haxchi, probably yes, but they won't bother to patch every DS game since only a small fraction of the users know this method, different to browserhax that was laughably easy to set up.

From my understanding they can't really patch it easily because it's an injection exploit, it's not like they can shrink the internal ROM further and they'd need to rewrite the way the launch security works entirely to block it at that end and thats probably way too much work for a dead system.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Did I miss something? Why would Nintendo release an update now? The hack's been around forever and the WiiU is long dead

They need to protect their IPs so they have to go after fan projects like... no, wait.
The product lines are shared with Apple, so that's why there's shortag... no, wait.
The Wii U is a limited product for the holidays, not meant to replace the Swit... no, wait.

Beats me. Nobody knows, really. They just patched the browser entrypoint and didn't even touch Haxchi. Maybe they feared that going after Coldboot Haxchi could result in bricks, and that would have been a worse remedy than the disease. Dunno, really.

Here's the thing. For some reason, Wii U verifies non-executable files only on installation, just like Wii did with most on-console titles. With DS VC, a non-executable file becomes effectively executable, but there are loads of other types of exploits possible due to above (like game crashing while loading a huge level file). This doesn't sound like something they can afford to start checking now, as #1: Wii U is dead barring Zelda DLC and some VC, perhaps, and its user base is small, #2: Wii U is already slow and verifying files on reading would slow it down further, #3: it could require additional verification helper files for each individual game which would have to be downloaded with the update, somehow.

Updating WebKit is way simpler than that.

Luckily my Wii U didn't update and it's still on 5.5.1. I set both DNS addresses so the console definitely won't update, but now I have an incomplete system update sitting in download management that I can't get rid of.

No big deal, as long as my homebrew continues to work. Spoofed the eshop and I was able to download Smash 4 patch 1.1.7 and play online with no issues.

Mendrox

I don't have Haxchi installed, but I think I saw Brain Age on my home screen (even though I never bought it?) which I could use to install Haxchi forever, correct? My Wii U currently doesn't have any power so it isn't able to download the update and I think I also set up the DNS to block it.

I don't have Haxchi installed, but I think I saw Brain Age on my home screen (even though I never bought it?) which I could use to install Haxchi forever, correct? My Wii U currently doesn't have any power so it isn't able to download the update and I think I also set up the DNS to block it.
Yes, I had that. I think it was a free demo and most people seem to have downloaded it.

Yup, you can use the Browser Exploit to inject Haxchi into Brain Age if you have it. You should be careful to make sure your Wii U can't connect to the internet when turned on though until you can check that the correct DNSs are set to block connecting to the update servers, the DNS block IP address changed relatively recently so if its been a long time since you blocked it, you may find the update happens when it gets power due to the blocking DNSes falling through.

Robin64

Unplug your router from the internet, then you can still connect to it with the Wii U, but it won't update and you will have time to set the new blocked DNS.

Xbro

They need to protect their IPs so they have to go after fan projects like... no, wait.
The product lines are shared with Apple, so that's why there's shortag... no, wait.
The Wii U is a limited product for the holidays, not meant to replace the Swit... no, wait.

Beats me. Nobody knows, really. They just patched the browser entrypoint and didn't even touch Haxchi. Maybe they feared that going after Coldboot Haxchi could result in bricks, and that would have been a worse remedy than the disease. Dunno, really.

It doesn't take as many resources to update webkit. Takes resources to patch Haxchi.

easyheimer

Neo Member
I think this may be the correct place to reach out for some help. We have a Wii U that we use for our clients to play games on. We recently got the system back due to the fact that it wasn't letting them play games because it stated the system needed to be updated. I tried to go through the update process using a couple different wifi connections and keep getting the error 105-4207 stating that the wifi connection was too weak or something along those lines, when each time the system was right next to the router or modem. I also tried my personal hotspot on my cellphone as well and that did not work either. It does however allow me to access the web through the internet browser so I know there's an active connection.

To see if I could get around the wifi issue, we purchased the belkin ethernet adapter so we could hardwire the connection. This also did not work and it's not even recognizing that it has an internet connection.

I have also tried to factory reset the Wii U multiple times and I am getting the same result / error each time.

I'm starting to have reason to believe that someone hacked this Wii U for homebrew and I would like to find out if there is any way to side load factory reset or something to that matter to get this Wii U back to working order and with the latest update. I read this is somehow related to the eShop as well not being able to connect to Nintendo servers or something to that matter.

I would like to thank everyone in advance for any help you can provide me to get this unit back up and working properly.

The unit is running software version 5.1.2U

Thank you!

This is going to sound ludicrous, but the easiest way to check if Wii U got really messed up by someone's hacking (which is apparently possible, especially with hacks on vWii side) is to hack it yourself, then run some sort of system check program (there is definitely one for vWii, not sure what's the status of the actual Wii U - less people screwed these up, so there was less need for such a program).

The simplest thing that could happen is someone deliberately disabling eShop with custom DNS settings. However if you created your own Wi-Fi connection I don't think this should copy, but who knows?

Tyrael

I would like to thank everyone in advance for any help you can provide me to get this unit back up and working properly.

The unit is running software version 5.1.2U

Thank you!

Maybe its your router that's blocking the Wii U to acess the Nintendo servers.

Try to go into the router settings and make a DMZ IP for you to use with the Wii U, then just go to the network settings of the Wii U, manual settings and give the Wii U that IP for it to connect to the internet.

If it still don't work, it may be a hardware problem.

easyheimer

Neo Member
Maybe its your router that's blocking the Wii U to acess the Nintendo servers.

Try to go into the router settings and make a DMZ IP for you to use with the Wii U, then just go to the network settings of the Wii U, manual settings and give the Wii U that IP for it to connect to the internet.

If it still don't work, it may be a hardware problem.

I was thinking this as well but I've tried this on several different internet connections / hardware in different locations along with a personal hotspot from my cellphone as well. I don't think think every one of these connections is blocking connection to the nintendo servers. I appreciate the suggestion though. I'm really just trying anything I can to get this working.

iavi

Mine auto updated to 5.5.2. FUCK :(

Guess I gotta wait until another exploit is found.

I did at least get BOTW ripped for Cemu

Tyrael

I was thinking this as well but I've tried this on several different internet connections / hardware in different locations along with a personal hotspot from my cellphone as well. I don't think think every one of these connections is blocking connection to the nintendo servers. I appreciate the suggestion though. I'm really just trying anything I can to get this working.

I searched a bit and looks like this may be a problem with the regional settings of the Wii U.

Go to settings and try to put the console information region to USA.

If this doesn't work, try also to make a new USA account on the console.

easyheimer

Neo Member
I searched a bit and looks like this may be a problem with the regional settings of the Wii U.

Go to settings and try to put the console information region to USA.

If this doesn't work, try also to make a new USA account on the console.

Thank you for this. The region is already set to USA. I got pretty excited about this possibly being the fix too.

Thank you again though!

Joey Ravn

Banned
I wonder if Crunchyroll will end up being a distraction meme or not. On one hand, it sounds like a ridiculous app to contain a vulnerability, but on another, we've seen weirder things happen.

It's an app that loads MP4 videos... it's the prime type of app to find a vulnerability in! Remember the YouTube app on 3DS? Anything that handles videos is ripe for exploiting.

Lots of stuff that connects to the Internet and displays stuff from it on consoles will use WebKit to do it. WebKit isn't exactly known for its security in the first place and the console are worse because they are usually not updated anywhere near frequently enough.

That makes Streaming apps a pretty good target, if you can manage to redirect where they are looking via eg DNS or proxy trickery.

It might all come to nothing or some one might find another exploit in the Browser which will be more convenient since DNS trickery is then unnecessary.

easyheimer

Neo Member
Ok, so we brought a copy of BOTW in from home and the game has the software update built into it which is thankfully installing now. This should do the trick for anyone else having this strange issue.

Thank you for all of your suggestions! It's much appreciated.

Platy

Ok, so we brought a copy of BOTW in from home and the game has the software update built into it which is thankfully installing now. This should do the trick for anyone else having this strange issue.

Thank you for all of your suggestions! It's much appreciated.

BoTW actually install part of the game for faster loads, it does not update the system

Guys, I'm still on the previous firmware and have a DNS setting in place to avoid connection to Nintendo's servers. This was back from when this DNS trick was originally released last year or something. I haven't switched my Wii U on in ages, and would like to:

A) Download some VC eShop games

...and

B) Install the more more permanent hack or the one that doesn't require a browser exploit

What's the best route for me, and how do I go about it?

Thanks.

Guys, I'm still on the previous firmware and have a DNS setting in place to avoid connection to Nintendo's servers. This was back from when this DNS trick was originally released last year or something. I haven't switched my Wii U on in ages, and would like to:

A) Download some VC eShop games

...and

B) Install the more more permanent hack or the one that doesn't require a browser exploit

What's the best route for me, and how do I go about it?

Thanks.

wiiu.guide

Anyone have any idea why my updated genesis_plus_gx on retroarch wont load the correct core for .bin files? I click the file like normal to load it and it's just recommending me to use cores for PCE or PSX or something and not the Mega Drive one. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

It's only been doing it since updating to a newer ver, my old one from earlier in the year still loads them just fine.

Anyone have any idea why my updated genesis_plus_gx on retroarch wont load the correct core for .bin files? I click the file like normal to load it and it's just recommending me to use cores for PCE or PSX or something and not the Mega Drive one. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

It's only been doing it since updating to a newer ver, my old one from earlier in the year still loads them just fine.

Try to avoid using bin formats where possible , it just means the file contains binary data, so it's used for a lot of stuff including for raw CD dumps which means its associated with most emulators from the CD/DVD era. If you're going to use bin files you should go the other way around and select the core then specify the file to load.

Kilau

Is there any reason to install Mocha? It hasn't been updated since Dec. 2016, and even then it wasn't really necessary if you were using regular Haxchi.

There is a Mocha mod to enable SD access, make possible patch stuff from SD, it's only needed if you are into game moding. Aside that there's no reason to use Mocha, Haxchi built in CFW is enough.

Thanks for the input :)

Thinking of buying a second wii u to softmod.
Want to use it as a hdmi Gamecube mainly.

I've read some guides online, but I am unclear about a few things.
Seems I won't be able to use haxchi so wii have to use mocha, as I don't have the ds games.

I gather it's a browser exploit that has to be run every time you power up the wii u. Does that mean the wii u needs to be connected to the internet every time to access a website or can you use it without an internet connection (after the initial setup) ?

Also, does the wii u need to have an account set up on it to install the softmod?

Madao

if you want to play GC games, you don't need almost anything on the Wii U side. all you need is one exploit to hack the vWii. there's a few like SSBB that let you do that without touching the Wii U side at all.
a Wii U exploit to do the vWii hack would be more useful since you wouldn't need an extra game. i have never tried this method since i hacked the vWii waay back in 2013 using SSBB.
if you get a machine without the latest system, you'd need to use the browser exploit to load the homebrew channel and then load the appropiate homebrew tool to inject the homebrew channel on the vWii. no need to make an account iirc. also, installing the homebrew channel on vWii is a one time thing. you wouldn't need to run any of these exploits again.

inner-G

Banned
I picked up a used system but it's on 5.5.2 :/

What are my options as far as vWii? (I know I'm boned on Wii U)

I have my Wii and GC games already ripped to HDDs from the OG Wii days, so it'd be cool to have them playable easily on the U.

Robin64

I picked up a used system but it's on 5.5.2 :/

What are my options as far as vWii? (I know I'm boned on Wii U)

I have my Wii and GC games already ripped to HDDs from the OG Wii days, so it'd be cool to have them playable easily on the U.

You're going to need a retail copy of either:

LEGO Star Wars
LEGO Indiana Jones
LEGO Batman
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Yu-Gi-Oh 5D’s Wheelie Breakers

As you'll be doing this from within vWii itself. There is a method to do it from Wii U mode, but not on the firmware you now have.

inner-G

Banned
You're going to need a retail copy of either:

LEGO Star Wars
LEGO Indiana Jones
LEGO Batman
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Yu-Gi-Oh 5D’s Wheelie Breakers

As you'll be doing this from within vWii itself. There is a method to do it from Wii U mode, but not on the firmware you now have.
Awesome, thanks. Basically it's like old school Wii exploiting pre-bannerbomb?

bryanee

OK I think I have everything I need t play Gamecube games on my Wii U now. Can I just buy the official Gamecube adapter and use my GC pads? Is there anything else I need to install for this to work?

Question: I was thinking about picking up a Wii for homebrew - originally - but being as clueless about the scene as I am (I've always gamed on PS, last Nintendo gaming was explicitly Gamecube), I'm wondering if this is established and dummy proof enough that I'd be better off picking up a Wii U at this point?

linkboy

OK I think I have everything I need t play Gamecube games on my Wii U now. Can I just buy the official Gamecube adapter and use my GC pads? Is there anything else I need to install for this to work?

The official GC adapter works perfectly fine. I use mine with my Wavebirds and they work great.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Question: I was thinking about picking up a Wii for homebrew - originally - but being as clueless about the scene as I am (I've always gamed on PS, last Nintendo gaming was explicitly Gamecube), I'm wondering if this is established and dummy proof enough that I'd be better off picking up a Wii U at this point?
Wii is far easier a solution and a permanent one.

Top Bottom