• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "We've got no plans for PS Vita Monster Hunter at the moment"

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'm pretty confident that there is absolutely no way that there will ever be a Monster Hunter on Vita. I don't really understand why the issue hasn't been completely put to bed.

You should buy a Vita. Your vicarious investment in the platform is palpable.

If Capcom just came out and said they had a partnership with Nintendo, then it would stifle all talks of a Vita MH. It doesn't help them that whatever deal they had was back alley and now MH is Nintendo exclusive.

Ty4on

This is similar to how people keep spreading the myth that there's no place for consoles in Japan. The Vita and 3DS are in very different places, sales-wise, in any region. The 3DS is not selling anything close to DS/GBA in the west atm BUT it is selling well enough to justify continued support and existence in those markets.

Ah, didn't notice how low res the graph was. Hiding a lot of trends, but it will be interesting to see the difference Pokemon, Zelda and Yoshi does.
nintendo_handheld_sof4uqzc.png

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The back alley deal is that MH4 is going to double up the PS Vita sales on the first or second week after launch. 3DS is a much healthier platform.

SmokyDave

If Capcom just came out and said they had a partnership with Nintendo, then it would stifle all talks of a Vita MH. It doesn't help them that whatever deal they had was back alley and now MH is Nintendo exclusive.
It'd be easier still if Capcom just came out and said 'Fuck the Vita'. For one reason or another, they wouldn't shag the platform with a stolen cock.

I'm pretty confident that there is absolutely no way that there will ever be a Monster Hunter on Vita. I don't really understand why the issue hasn't been completely put to bed.
Well technically the mainline series is what has moved to the 3DS, we don't know what has happened with the Portable series. Last gen there was a clear differentiation with the branding where the mainline titles were on consoles and the portable series were on the PSP. This gen everything is now muddled up with even a Portable game going to the PS3 and the mainline series being established on a Portable (which one could argue completely negates the Portable branding). So I guess the branding holds no value anymore, but you never know. Capcom can still find a way to bring a MH with the 'Portable' moniker to the Vita, especially if the "MH-clones" do reasonably well. You can never say never with Capcom.

DaBoss

How does that affect Capcom? It would make no difference to Capcom if they disclosed their partnership.

It'd be easier still if Capcom just came out and said 'Fuck the Vita'. For one reason or another, they wouldn't shag the platform with a stolen cock.

Well it's not like Capcom really makes anything good outside of their fighters, Ace Attorney, and Monster Hunter.

SmokyDave

Well technically the mainline series is what has moved to the 3DS, we don't know what has happened with the Portable series. Last gen there was a clear differentiation with the branding where the mainline titles were on consoles and the portable series were on the PSP. This gen everything is now muddled up with even a Portable game going to the PS3 and the mainline series being established on a Portable (which one could argue completely negates the Portable branding). So I guess the branding holds no value anymore, but you never know. Capcom can still find a way to bring a MH with the 'Portable' moniker to the Vita, especially if the "MH-clones" do reasonably well. You can never say never with Capcom.
Eh, I guess. I'm still gonna say never though.

Well it's not like Capcom really makes anything good outside of their fighters, Ace Attorney, and Monster Hunter.
I would single-handedly fund Auto Modellista Vita and Powerstone Vita if I could.

But they did? Did you miss the Revelations HD announcement?
The message is loud 'n' clear, no doubt.

Azull

But they did? Did you miss the Revelations HD announcement?

That was definitely felt like a kick to the groins. Especially when they came out and tried to explain their reasoning that it would be out on everything but the vita. Capcom, I am so disappoint.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Looking at Capcom and the PSP you can tell they were eyeing the DS and going, "Nope, MH can't run on this, sigh."

Besides a couple of early attempts (and the largest releases on the system by far with MH) Capcom was basically all in on the DS after the first year or so of competition. Never even bothered with RE:pSP, pretty much only released MHP versions after MHX and Powered Up and a few other early ports bombed, though UGnG was a nice surprise (Even that was what, a 2006 game?)

I've just kind of assumed that the second version of MH 4 would be a Vita release. I just can't imagine them not releasing on any other platforms in the future.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Not seeing what this has anything to do with?

3DS was a clear anointed generation champion in Japan ala the PS2 and since this platform is :

a: Portable
b: Powerful enough to run MH.
c: Going to have a huge install base by the time MH4 was going to come out.

it was clear that Capcom was going to go to the 3DS.

Why be a big fish in a small pond when you can be a bigger fish in an ocean.

Oh PS2-era Capcom, how I miss thee.

It was the peak for them (their home console output has never been more diversified since then) and many other Japanese 3rd parties.

It was also the era of countless A and B JRPGs series (FF, DQ, Shadow Hearts, Front Mission, KH, Rogue Galaxy, Suikoden, Wild Arms, Xenosaga, Dark Cloud, Dot Hack etc), 3rd person action games (DMC, Onimusha, Yakuza, Zone of the Enders), classic survival horror games (Fatal Frame, classic Silent Hill 2,3,4) and hack and slash games. Life was good in the 3rd person perspective.

Western pubs were only known for generic yearly sports franchises (FIFA, Madden etc), platformers (Insomniac) and shooters (Medal of Honor etc) back then. They were thankfully less influential back then in determining the general gaming trends.

Unfotunately, they hold all the cards in this gen leading up to the next gen (COD 4 led the charge for better or worse), and lead the homogenization of every fucking genre into the 1st person perspective or a shooter.

Wynnebeck

Banned
3DS was a clear anointed generation champion in Japan ala the PS2 and since this platform is :

a: Portable
b: Powerful enough to run MH.
c: Going to have a huge install base by the time MH4 was going to come out.

it was clear that Capcom was going to go to the 3DS.

Why be a big fish in a small pond when you can be a bigger fish in an ocean.

The only thing is that none of this was in stone when the 3DS was first released and had poor sales leading up into Xmas of 2011 when the Trinity hit. So none of those points really have any basis anyway seeing as how a MH was already planned for the 3DS beforehand and then MH4 was announced that same year at TGS.

saichi

They also outsell about every game on every platform. A MH on Vita would do great numbers. Look at games that have releases on hugely popular platforms and also on Vita and its not like you'll see an insane difference like Muramasa and P4G.

MH4 3DS would sell at least 3 mil in Japan (being very conservative)... VITA has 1.5 mil user base in Japan right now and won't reach 3 mil by the end of this year. A MH on VITA wouldn't do "great numbers" and there will be an insane difference.

I wonder if anyone has ever said, you know, we have a bunch of FPSes, we don't really need Call of Duty.

All the other FPSes are better than COD too.

I wonder about this too. According to wikipedia's source it was 2.2 million summer last year and sales dropped, but it did outsell the 3DS when Soul Sacrifice came with the price drop. Japan really is the only market for handhelds nowadays. Even the 3DS numbers are depressing with a big drop in the west that is only slightly helped by an increase in Japan.

we'll know when Sony reports earning next month. It's likely between 4-5 mil. For comparison, 3DS is over 30 mil.

Cipherr

I dont see why Capcom would ever come out and just plainly say "Yeah, we aren't fucking with the Vita". There is no upside to that for them.

Right now they get to do their exclusive handheld strategy with the 3DS, and their actions tell their intentions loud and clear. May as well not verbally sever the ties though. You never know what could happen. The gen we just came out of had the 360 catch the Wii in the U.S., (That seemed like it would be impossible earlier in the gen) it also had the Wii be incredibly successful despite by far having the least attractive software lineup.

We saw a 2 screened handheld that was thought to be a horrible idea sell 150m units and Halo dethroned as the most popular FPS. I mean, I didn't see any of that shit coming, so who knows whats in store for the Vita. I would say that it coming back is unlikely, but not impossible.

I have seen weirder, and recently.

I dont see why Capcom would ever come out and just plainly say "Yeah, we aren't fucking with the Vita". There is no upside to that for them.

Right now they get to do their exclusive handheld strategy with the 3DS, and their actions tell their intentions loud and clear. May as well not verbally sever the ties though. You never know what could happen. The gen we just came out of had the 360 catch the Wii in the U.S., (That seemed like it would be impossible earlier in the gen) it also had the Wii be incredibly successful despite by far having the least attractive software lineup.

We saw a 2 screened handheld that was thought to be a horrible idea sell 150m units and Halo dethroned as the most popular FPS. I mean, I didn't see any of that shit coming, so who knows whats in store for the Vita. I would say that it coming back is unlikely, but not impossible.

I have seen weirder, and recently.

Last gen was pretty crazy. Don't know if we'll ever have a gen like that again.

VanWinkle

MH4 3DS would sell at least 3 mil in Japan (being very conservative)... VITA has 1.5 mil user base in Japan right now and won't reach 3 mil by the end of this year. A MH on VITA wouldn't do "great numbers" and there will be an insane difference.

Why does it have to sell that much? Would a potential MH4 Vita version need to sell 3 million for them to justify it? Would a number under 3 million not be considered "great numbers"?

Cerity

Why does it have to sell that much? Would a potential MH4 Vita version need to sell 3 million for them to justify it? Would a number under 3 million not be considered "great numbers"?

They set themselves targets, "great numbers" to capcom would be going over that target. I wouldn't be surprised if capcom expect it to go 4.5-5M

I mean, that's not 100% fair.

The really strange deal they made with Sony on Street Fighter x Tekken probably did a lot to harm that game's console versions in the long run. That was to give the platform a push up from underneath from all appearances.

Erethian

They set themselves targets, "great numbers" to capcom would be going over that target. I wouldn't be surprised if capcom expect it to go 4.5-5M

After budget releases and whatnot, that sounds about right. Tri G is still trucking along and is close to clearing 2 million copies sold, and they'd expect MH4 to do a lot better than that.

But the main reason they don't release a Vita version is because it's detrimental to the franchise to split the userbase. MH, and its clones, grew out of local multiplayer and it's a huge part of their marketing campaigns. Anything that dilutes that wouldn't make any sense, hence why games that were put on Vita and PSP were quickly made to be cross-platform compatible in local wireless play.

Capcom are in the business of doing whatever will make them the most profit for the littlest effort.

There's no point for Capcom to make a Monster Hunter on the Vita considering they will have to develop it more than the 3DS games, and do lots of advertisements, regardless of how much better it would be than the 3DS games.

ie. fuck Capcom.

Capcom are in the business of doing whatever will make them the most profit for the littlest effort.

There's no point for Capcom to make a Monster Hunter on the Vita considering they will have to develop it more than the 3DS games, and do lots of advertisements, regardless of how much better it would be than the 3DS games.

ie. fuck Capcom.

Hahaha

jeremy1456

Nintendo threw money at Capcom for that. You're crazy to believe otherwise.

I bet that Capcom wanted to port it to a home console but Nintendo wouldn't allow it to cross play with anything other than their console.

I highly doubt any money was involved at all.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

ie. fuck Capcom.
They wouldn't "have to develop it more" as there are plenty Vita games that look like they could be done on PSP, including MonHun clones like Toukiden and God Eater 2 (which in fact also are on PSP) and especially considering Capcom hasn't shied away from not fully utilizing systems before what with MonHun P3rd HD ver. on PS3, MonHun 3U HD ver. on Wii U, E.X. Troopers on PS3, Revelations Unveiled on every system except Vita, Sengoku Basara 3 on PS3, etc, all with minor improvements over the original versions. Plus, they obviously do lots of advertisements for 3DS MonHuns. So clearly there are more reasons than you want to believe.

They wouldn't have to "develop it more" as there are plenty Vita games that look like they could be done on PSP, including MonHun clones like Toukiden and God Eater 2 (which in fact also are on PSP) and especially considering Capcom hasn't shied away from not fully utilizing systems before what with P3rd HD on PS3, 3U HD on Wii U, E.X Troopers on PS3, Revelations Unveiled on every system except Vita, Sengoku Basara 3 on PS3, etc. Plus, they obviously do lots of advertisements for 3DS MonHuns.

I meant if they did a Vita version of Monster Hunter 4 or a Vita exclusive, they would have to make higher resolution textures and models than what they would for the 3DS. Would they not have to do extra advertising for a Vita Monster Hunter to sell more systems?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I meant if they did a Vita version of Monster Hunter 4 or a Vita exclusive, they would have to make higher resolution textures and models than what they would for the 3DS. Would they not have to do extra advertising for a Vita Monster Hunter to sell more systems?
I know what you meant, hence what I said. Ie, what you meant isn't true.

Nothing would force them to do that as nothing forced them and other companies to do that in my examples where they released low end graphics games on higher end platforms.

They could CHOOSE to do that, not HAVE to do that. They will choose to develop Monster Hunter in that way on another platform when it seems that it will be possible for it to pay off, not just to please you.

What makes you think they have a partnership with Nintendo? All they need to do is to look at the sales figures of current Vita games to know that it's a waste of time and money to make a MH for the Vita. Do you seriously think Capcom will be impressed by the 160K that Soul Sacrifice sold?

Top Bottom