• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

Then it does a pretty shit job at it.

The aliasing is unreal, even when there are zero alpha effects on screen.

That's just what it look like, nothing to do with how it downsamples. Looks jagged on a 4K TV too. I've said it before, it's definitely the most jagged and least attractive looking game I've played at 4K. Still a major improvement over 1080p, though!

Destiyn 2 earth looks really good on a pro but the next enviorment (titan) looks pretty rough

I think Titan looks good once you're indoors. Maybe it's the dreary greenish blue look that does it? I've noticed the improvement most on nessus believe it or not. It's super sharp and the reds and greens really contrast each other well. Overall I'm quite impressed with the res bump. The hdr patch isn't live yet is it? Or was it with the 1.03 patch?

robotrock

Banned
I think Titan looks good once you're indoors. Maybe it's the dreary greenish blue look that does it? I've noticed the improvement most on nessus believe it or not. It's super sharp and the reds and greens really contrast each other well. Overall I'm quite impressed with the res bump. The hdr patch isn't live yet is it? Or was it with the 1.03 patch?

I have spent the last few days realizing that my TV has been calibrated to shit my entire life. I didn't even know you could calibrate a TV.

Been messing with a ton of settings trying to get that perfect calibration and I think Titan looks pretty alright now.Think my color settings before were saturating the hell out of that greenish blue look.

I don't even own a Pro but I like staying up to date with all this stuff (hoping Pro enhancements will carry over to PS5) so mostly just read but can't contribute shucks
Not a problem. I don't have a Pro either (which is why so much depends on others), I just saw what I thought was a need for the community and figured I could help supply it.

Wordstar

Neo Member
Electronic Arts - NBA Live 18 - Screenshots

Here are 3 Screenshots I captured in uncompressed PNG from NBA Live 18 for analysis.
Its running on PS4 Pro in 4k on Samsung 4k HDR TV.

The Game does not support HDR at release and I dont know if EA plans to add it later on.

https://picload.org/view/dgdgwglw/nbalive18_20170915172535.png.html

https://picload.org/view/dgdgwgcl/nbalive18_20170915172606.png.html

https://picload.org/view/dgdgwgcw/nbalive18_20170915172641.png.html

If you need more Screenshots feel free to ask.

pottuvoi

Banned

Here are 3 Screenshots I captured in uncompressed PNG from NBA Live 18 for analysis.

The Game does not support HDR at release and I dont know if EA plans to add it later on.

https://picload.org/view/dgdgwglw/nbalive18_20170915172535.png.html

https://picload.org/view/dgdgwgcl/nbalive18_20170915172606.png.html

https://picload.org/view/dgdgwgcw/nbalive18_20170915172641.png.html

Seems to be checkerboarded.

Huge news for The Last of Us fans, downsampling is back!!

https://community.playstation.com/c...ral.topic.html/the_last_of_us_remas-ynl8.html

I checked it out, and here are all the options available now:

https://imgur.com/a/yT0cK

I can't understand why this 1080p 30 FPS mode stil exists. They should remove it just like they removed the 50 hz mode in Jak And Daxter PS2 Classics so the unaware people won't be stuck playing in this inferior mode. I expect many PS4 Pro owners who may be careless and play in this 1080p 30 FPS horrendous useless mode.
Please Naughty Dog remove it to avoid confusion.

Vashetti

Banned
I can't understand why this 1080p 30 FPS mode stil exists. They should remove it just like they removed the 50 hz mode in Jak And Daxter PS2 Classics so the unaware people won't be stuck playing in this inferior mode. I expect many PS4 Pro owners who may be careless and play in this 1080p 30 FPS horrendous useless mode.

The game defaults to the 60fps mode.

They included the 30fps mode to appease people who might prefer 30fps. There's nothing wrong with options.

These are fine, thanks so much! A slight correction to my pixel count from the demo: the game appears to by 1620p, not 1660p. This isn't necessarily a change, I may have just been mistaken before. I had only a couple shots to work with, and as you might imagine the visual difference between these two values is low. These new shots have good, very long edges in uncompressed detail, so I'm more confident about the new count. (Though see below for more.)

Seems to be checkerboarded.
Do you think? Frankly, the artifacting is so extreme that I would think something else is at play. Yes. there are edging lines and sawtooth stippling in certain parts that look akin to CBR problems. But in other areas, there's heavily distorted rippling behind moving objects. Here's a zoom of one of the shots to show what I mean:

liveartifactslyj6a.png

That doesn't look like typical CBR problems to me. For one, there's a continuous halo of distortion around the moving object, not just separate stray pixels. Second, there appear to be four frames of ghosting, and I've not previously heard of any CBR motion vectors calculated more than two frames back. To me, this all rather suggests a very poor TAA implementation.

That said, my technical knowledge is far from expert, and perhaps even this level of errors is possible with checkerboard. Thus, while currently leaving the resolution analysis as standard rendering, I've left open CBR problems as one possibility in the added note about artifacts.

I am really surprised Dead By Daylight was just recently released but doesn't pack PS4 Pro support but just the boost mode fixes it.
Your expectations are unrealistically high. No progressive console release in history has run every new game with better settings. It didn't happen in the past with generational jumps (e.g. plenty of old-gen-only titles continue to come out), and it's not happening now with the incremental Pro. It won't happen in the future with Xbox One X, either.

I fully endorse asking for perfection in all things. But it's crucial to understand that expecting perfection in all things is unsupportable and a slope toward wonted bitterness.

RedAndromeda

Neo Member
@Liabe Brave The Last of Us is listed as "Better shadows (but with errors)".

Do you know where these errors occur so i can see if they're still there in the new patch?

Do you know where these errors occur so i can see if they're still there in the new patch?
Here's a Digital Foundry video with examples (timestamp 6:13 if the direct link doesn't work). I can't tell you what area it is in the game, though.

Please note I had a minor error in my list, which I've now corrected. The higher-quality shadows are not present in the 1800p60 mode, only the 2160p30 and 1080p modes.

Is the Last of Us Remastered's 1800p mode checkerboard rendering or full 3200x1800?
In the OP lists, games using CBR are listed as, say, 1800c, as opposed to 1800p. There are other abbreviations used as well, for other techniques. Feel free to ask questions if anything isn't obvious.

LegendX48

Full 1800p

I can confirm that unfortunately the shadow errors are still there.
ah, okay, thanks.

In the OP lists, games using CBR are listed as, say, 1800c, as opposed to 1800p. There are other abbreviations used as well, for other techniques. Feel free to ask questions if anything isn't obvious.
alrighty. I just wasn't sure is all. Now that I've got my pro and a 4k tv it's time to replay TLOU :3

Melchiah

It's beyond me how it can bother you so much, that you'd want the option removed from others. I played it on supersampled 1080p/30fps mode before the downgrade, and that's how I'm going to continue where I left off. Image quality wins over performance every time for me.

Toe-Knee

It's beyond me how it can bother you so much, that you'd want the option removed from others. I played it on supersampled 1080p/30fps mode before the downgrade, and that's how I'm going to continue where I left off. Image quality wins over performance every time for me.

I played through the game in 30fps too. 60 didn't really add anything for me but the improved picture and shadows were a massive upgrade.

Melchiah

I played through the game in 30fps too. 60 didn't really add anything for me but the improved picture and shadows were a massive upgrade.

Yeah, I switched between the modes on a regular PS4 when I took screenshots, and I really couldn't tell the difference. I'm glad the option is back, since it's not only the performance crowd that should be served.

Toe-Knee

Yeah, I switched between the modes on a regular PS4 when I took screenshots, and I really couldn't tell the difference. I'm glad the option is back, since it's not only the performance crowd that should be served.

Exactly everyone should have an option. Nioh did a great job of having options for each preference.

It seems you aren't aware that the 1080p 60 FPS mode has the imoproved shadows now and there is no need to keep the 1080p 30 FPS mode since it has nothing to offer compared to all the other modes, so no one could fall by mistake and play with this mode. It is beyond me who wants to play this most inferior mode tbh.

Edit: I am not talking about the supersampled 1080p mode in 30 FPS with the highest shadows, this is the Native 2160p 30 FPS high res shadows mode supersampled for those with 1080p TVs.

I am talking about the normal one kept from base PS4, that should have been deleted for PS4 Pro owners

I am talking about this 4th useless mode on PS4 Pro. I keep saying on PS4 Pro and not on PS4 since on the latter this mode is still needed for the high res shadows and taking photos.

Huge news for The Last of Us fans, downsampling is back!!

https://community.playstation.com/c...ral.topic.html/the_last_of_us_remas-ynl8.html

I checked it out, and here are all the options available now:

https://imgur.com/a/yT0cK

svHErWt.jpg

Here's a Digital Foundry video with examples (timestamp 6:13 if the direct link doesn't work). I can't tell you what area it is in the game, though.

Please note I had a minor error in my list, which I've now corrected. The higher-quality shadows are not present in the 1800p60 mode, only the 2160p30 and 1080p modes.

It seems the missing shadows glitch is fixed with this new patch:

FotoJet-93.jpg

I've yet to play it, but all changes for the better are most welcome.

Accordingly, I really hope they will patch Uncharted 4 and The Lost legacy to improve the motion blur, enable SSS all time and bring the missing and higher shadows of the reveal of The Lost Legacy.

BigEmil

Accordingly, I really hope they will patch Uncharted 4 and The Lost legacy to improve the motion blur, enable SSS all time and bring the missing and higher shadows of the reveal of The Lost Legacy.
I doubt that will happen at this point they are now full on working on TLOU2 and their updated engine for it

Your expectations are unrealistically high. No progressive console release in history has run every new game with better settings. It didn't happen in the past with generational jumps (e.g. plenty of old-gen-only titles continue to come out), and it's not happening now with the incremental Pro. It won't happen in the future with Xbox One X, either.

I fully endorse asking for perfection in all things. But it's crucial to understand that expecting perfection in all things is unsupportable and a slope toward wonted bitterness.

This is not a matter of unrealistically high expectations or longing for perfection but rather logical consequences of more powerful hardware like the PS4 Pro and the XBox One X platforms. It is like getting a newer more powerful PC or upgrading it: anynoe who does this awaits "automatically" to witness improvements in the results of the game graphic settings and resolutions he can enable, or at least little improvements in FPS. "Unless", the game itself has fixed settings and resolution that devs locked and you can't improve the graphics regardless of how good your PC is. I can't fathom why would any dev do this. In this case of Dead By Daylight for example, this wouldn't take many devs, time or ressources to do it especially if the game has already scalable assets from the PC version and they can tweak them accordingly without so much efforts without needing to rework the assets from scratch for it (unlike exclusive PS4 games for example).

I know Sony isn't very strict when it was supposed to mandate PS4 Pro support for every game releasing since last November, but at first they made it seem as if they were. They even overlooked the obligatory minimum 1080p resolution on PS4 Pro for some games.

I don't think this is a question of high expectations or skills or efforts or budget but rather either of studio will and interest (like Trine devs said their game could already run in Native 4K on base PS4 but due to PS4 limited HDMI 1.4 can't allow this but when asked about PS4 Pro, they weren't interested to support it) or lack of PS4 Pro dev kit (VizionEck devs clealry confirmed their game could be Native 4K@60 FPS but they lacked their PS4 Pro devkit yet) or unknown reasons leading to inferior final results and support after false promises for higher support for the PS4 Pro in some games (Fortnite, Lawbreakers, Redout...), and some even not having support at all while having "Enhanced for PS4 Pro" label on the box.

Do you have a regular PS4?
I bought one at launch, but my account won't show any recent activity because the console's been broken for months. I don't think that disqualifies me from discussion, though. There's still enough source material on the web that I can see what games look and run like.

It seems you aren't aware that the 1080p 60 FPS mode has the imoproved shadows now and there is no need to keep the 1080p 30 FPS mode since it has nothing to offer compared to all the other modes, so no one could fall by mistake and play with this mode. It is beyond me who wants to play this most inferior mode tbh.
I don't see why anyone would want to use it either, but they definitely won't do it by mistake. You have to specifically select it, and when you do the results are listed onscreen. No one will be going into it unaware.

I am talking about this 4th useless mode on PS4 Pro. I keep saying on PS4 Pro and not on PS4 since on the latter this mode is still needed for the high res shadows and taking photos.
So here's your reason. Standard PS4 and Pro are the same executable. If the mode is needed in one version, it'll be there in the other.

It seems the missing shadows glitch is fixed with this enw patch:
Apparently not fully fixed. Earlier there was confirmation that the error is still present sometimes.

This is not a matter of unrealistically high expectations or longing for perfection but rather logical consequences of more powerful hardware like the PS4 Pro and the XBox One X platforms. It is like getting a newer more powerful PC or upgrading it: anynoe who does this awaits "automatically" to witness improvements in the results of the game graphic settings and resolutions he can enable, or at least little improvements in FPS.
It is not like PC upgrades. You're going from fixed hardware to fixed hardware, not changing your location on a pre-existing continuum of performance.

That said, you do get performance increases essentially across the board...just most of them are limited in extent unless the dev unties operation from the original hardware spec.

The point is, you have no idea what the logistical and financial realities are at the studios you talk about. You repeatedly assert that particular studios are apathetic or incompetent, and this is knowledge that you do not have. The part where you allow "unknown reasons" is the only rational part of your position. Yes, sometimes support falls short of what everyone would want. Yes, there are reasons, even if we don't know them.

This is no different from releases on a single hardware spec, which also vary in their technical prowess. It's perfectly fine to wish they all hit the highs of the best examples. It's unreasonable, going againat all precedent, to expect them all to do so.

I know Sony isn't very strict when it was supposed to mandate PS4 Pro support for every game releasing since last November, but at first they made it seem as if they were.
This is simply false. From the very first reveal of the Pro, Sony clearly said they were "asking" or "encouraging" their partners to all take advantage of the Pro.

You're wrong about universal 1080p on Pro, too. Every enhanced game can run at that resolution (though some may be dynamic).

I don't see why anyone would want to use it either, but they definitely won't do it by mistake. You have to specifically select it, and when you do the results are listed onscreen. No one will be going into it unaware.
So here's your reason. Standard PS4 and Pro are the same executable. If the mode is needed in one version, it'll be there in the other.

Not true at all. If they are the same thing then the PS4 too would get those PS4 Pro options displayed but when enabling them nothing would happen if this is like you said or at least they would be greyed out like on PCs with weak hardwares. But instead the game detects that you are on PS4 Pro and only displays them to PS4 Pro owners so they can disable that useless option for PS4 Pro owners.It is not that hard. They deemed one of display options is not suited in jak and Daxter, a PS2 game and they removed it in the previous patch.

The point is, you have no idea what the logistical and financial realities are at the studios you talk about.

Again not true at all.Sony said, supporting PS4 Pro won't require more than 1 or 2 devs and few days or weeks at max. Quantum Break XB O X support was done by one dev at his free time. Supporting multiplatform games on the PS4 Pro is even easier than supporting first party ones since they have higher assets ready from the PC version and don't need to rework and create new higher assets for the PS4 Pro.

You repeatedly assert that particular studios are apathetic or incompetent, and this is knowledge that you do not have. The part where you allow "unknown reasons" is the only rational part of your position. Yes, sometimes support falls short of what everyone would want. Yes, there are reasons, even if we don't know them.

Again why do you still insist on perverting my posts claiming that I say devs are incompetent? I said there must be reasons why they aren't doing support, some range from not receiving PS4 Pro devkit yet, or some aren't interested in doing and they explicitely say this is not one of their current projects since they are focusing on others, or for other unknown reasons.
First CDProjekt said they won't support PS4 Pro for no reason then a mysterious XB O X support appeared at E3. Then PS4 Pro owners asked for support on their console and the devs replied positively. The devs may change their minds if they want. It doesn't mean they are incompetent or apathetic like you accused me of saying each time. So chill bro.

You're wrong about universal 1080p on Pro, too. Every enhanced game can run at that resolution (though some may be dynamic).

The higher FPS mode in Ark is 720p, Ni-Oh Action Mode is dynamic 1080p so the fact from that is it drops below 1080p sometimes and the 60 FPS mode in Hellblade drops in 900p most of the time and is not 1440p like you said in your OP, Maybe other games drop below 1080p too but we aren't aware of them.
The fact some games like this exist means Sony isn't mandating any of their supposed rules. Even Sony said there won't be increased FPS in MP games on PS4 Pro to not give advantage for PS4 Pro owners but we got some MP games like Battleborn adding a 60 FPS mode on PS4 Pro or some other MP games got their FPS vastly increased thanks to Boost Mode.

I can understand that Sony can't make sure every company can follow the "rules" or to be more precise the suggestions for PS4 Pro support and devs aren't forced to follow them either. It is like when Sony brought new features with DualShock 4 and the PS Camera but not all the games are supporting such features fully even the first party studios.

Not true at all. If they are the same thing then the PS4 too would get those PS4 Pro options displayed but when enabling them nothing would happen if this is like you said or at least they would be greyed out like on PCs with weak hardwares. But instead the game detects that you are on PS4 Pro and only displays them to PS4 Pro owners so they can disable that useless option for PS4 Pro owners.It is not that hard.
I stand corrected about this title; other games do show the options to all players but grey some out. But even so, there seems little advantage in removing the mode. Just because you and I wouldn't ever choose it, why remove the option? Most missing downsampling modes in Pro-enhanced games are because the developer thought other improvements were superior and removed player choice. Yet I'm pretty sure you don't side with the devs on that topic.

They deemed one of display options is not suited in jak and Daxter, a PS2 game and they removed it in the previous patch.
Someone earlier in the thread told you this isn't true. You even acknowledged it. Why are you repeating your old claim?

Again not true at all.Sony said, supporting PS4 Pro won't require more than 1 or 2 devs and few days or weeks at max.
No, they didn't say precisely these things. This is another issue with your arguments, you base them partially on things you've misunderstood or mixed with unjustified assumptions.

In this example, Sony haven't given both a headcount and a time period simultaneously. Yes, Mark Cerny said that a Days Gone demo at the Pro reveal event only took one programmer...but no mention of how long. (And this was not necessarily for the whole game.) Yes, on a later date he said that in general it takes a few weeks--or in rare cases, a few days--to "get up to speed" on Pro. But in that interview no number of developers was specified.

And what does "get up to speed" exactly mean? I doubt highly it means all necessary Pro work a game will ever need is done in that timeframe. Rather, it strongly sounds like this is the work required to create a Pro branch during development. As production continues, more work would be needed to keep it in sync with the standard settings, make sure it efficiently uses the extra hardware, etc. Alternately, Mr. Cerny might mean that's how long it takes to understand the Pro hardware and development environment, before any work on the specific title begins.

In any case, he didn't give explicit numbers of "x people for y days" either time. The closest he came was saying the intent was targeting Pro enhancement to take "a fraction of a percent of the overall effort". For a AAA game with 150 developers working for 3 years, a half-percent would be over 2 man-years. This is almost twenty times longer than your suggestion of 1.5 man-months max, and over 150 times longer than your low estimate. (Even for a tiny indie with 3 devs for 18 months, a half-percent still would represent more effort than the bottom of your range. A mere 3% would be above your supposed maximum.)

Again why do you still insist on perverting my posts claiming that I say devs are incompetent?
You don't use that word. But as I've explained before, when you say we should be expecting more, that it doesn't make sense that we aren't getting more, incompetence is one of the few possible explanations why we aren't. You specifically have said that existing work is "horrendous", that many Pro enhancements are "barely noticeable", and that you don't expect some devs to support Pro unless forced to. What other implication is supposed to be drawn from these statements?

But let's allow that you've never believed, or meant to suggest, that skill has ever been a factor in how disappointing you find Pro support. In that case, the only remaining options are a lack of dev desire, or inability for non-technical reasons. If you're aware of that, and you don't think they're apathetic, then the only remaining conclusion is that there are good reasons some games will not have Pro enhancements, or will have minor ones.

And if that's the scenario, then expecting all games to have great enhancements is unreasonable. Do you see the logic now?

The higher FPS mode in Ark is 720p, Ni-Oh Action Mode is dynamic 1080p so the fact from that is it drops below 1080p sometimes and the 60 FPS mode in Hellblade drops in 900p most of the time and is not 1440p like you said in your OP,
The higher-resolution mode in ARK is 1080p. I did mention that some 1080p modes are dynamic. Hellblade is exactly like I said; that it stays below its target a lot of the time is mentioned in the list. It also doesn't change the fact that every single game can hit 1080p on Pro at least some of the time. But in the end it probably doesn't matter, because I don't think Sony ever promised that anyway. See below.

The fact some games like this exist means Sony isn't mandating any of their supposed rules. Even Sony said there won't be increased FPS in MP games on PS4 Pro to not give advantage for PS4 Pro owners....
The only source I know of for either of these mandates is the leaked presentation to developers from last March. So you're basing your expectations on material from before any PS4 Pro devkits existed, and that was never meant to be seen by the public. This is like complaining that you were promised a hero named C.J. Thorpe in The Star Wars.

I can understand that Sony can't make sure every company can follow the "rules" or to be more precise the suggestions for PS4 Pro support and devs aren't forced to follow them either.
All I'm suggesting is that you apply that knowledge, and you'll see clearly why it's unreasonable to expect every game to have the best tech possible on the hardware.

Again, I must point out that I have no issue with you wanting the absolute best from every game, or being disappointed when it doesn't occur. I'm simply adamant that making this an expectation is unreasonable. That's exacerbated by the fact that you seem to partially base your expectations on false premises.

Melchiah

Edit: I am not talking about the supersampled 1080p mode in 30 FPS with the highest shadows, this is the Native 2160p 30 FPS high res shadows mode supersampled for those with 1080p TVs.

I am talking about the normal one kept from base PS4, that should have been deleted for PS4 Pro owners

Ah, my bad. That mode does seem redundant.

i-Lo

Want to confirm a few things:

1. To run games that have intrinsic pro support at 1080p resolution on 4K screen, I'd need to change the output of the console itself to said resolution via settings.

2. Games with Pro support but only output 1080p do not require aforementioned tweaking.

3. Game running on boost mode alone also require no tweaking of the console's output resolution on 4K tv.

Want to confirm a few things:

1. To run games that have intrinsic pro support at 1080p resolution on 4K screen, I'd need to change the output of the console itself to said resolution via settings.

2. Games with Pro support but only output 1080p so not require aforementioned tweaking.

3. Game running on boost mode alone also require no tweaking of the console's output resolution on 4K tv.
The last two points are correct, but the first is not. Most games with multiple modes have them selectable within the game. Either you choose when starting up the game each session, or else there's an options menu somewhere in the game itself. This is true even if your Pro is hooked up to a 4K display and you're selecting a 1080p mode.

The only games where you need to change anything at a system level are ones that automatically select modes based on the display you're hooked to. If they detect a 4K display, they'll choose a mode for it; you have to force them to work at 1080p instead.

These games are shown in the list by icons next to the modes. A red X means the mode only works on 4K displays (1080p display users can't ever select these). An orange dot means the system will default to this mode if hooked to a 1080p display. If hooked to a 4K display, the mode can only be forced by OS setting. If there's no icons, all modes are user-selectable from the game, and the OS setting doesn't need to be changed.

Top Bottom