• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvie_3

Banned
Takeda Kenshi said:
Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but if you ever get a chance (and you have a lot of free time) check out the episodes of Bart's birthday and Homer:Bad Man. They both have very fast scrolling text that while slowed down has a few nice easter eggs in them.
Best 8 bucks I ever spent!

Cohsae

According to SNPP, the list from Homer Bad Man is:
- "Peoples' Choice Awards" _is_ America's greatest honor.
- Styrofoam is not made from kittens.
- The UFO was a paper plate.
- The nerds on the Internet are not geeks.
- The word "cheese" is not funny in and of itself.
- The older Flanders boy is Todd, not Rod.
- Lyndon Johnson did not provide the voice of Yosemite Sam.
- If you are reading this, you have no life.
- Roy Rogers was not buried in his horse.
- The other UFO was an upside down salad spinner.
- Our universities are not "hotbeds" of anything.
- Mr. Dershowitz did not literally have four eyes.
- Our viewers are not pathetic sexless food tubes.
- Audrey Hepburn never weighed 400 pounds.
- The "Cheers" gang is not a real gang.
- Salt water does not chase the thirsties away.
- Licking an electrical outlet will not turn you into a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger.
- Cats do not eventually turn into dogs.
- Bullets do not bounce off of fat guys.
- Recycling does not deplete the ozone.
- Everything is 10% fruit juice.
- The flesh eating virus does not hide in ice cream.
- Janet Reno is evil.
- V8 juice is not 1/8 gasoline.
- Ted Koppel is a robot.
- Women aren't from Venus and men aren't form Mars.
- Fleiss does floss.
- Quayle is familiar with common bathroom procedures.
- Bart is bad to the bone.
- Godfry Jones' wife is cheating on him.
- The Beatles haven't reunited to enter kick boxing competitions.
- The "Bug" on your TV screen can see into your home.
- Everyone on TV is better than you.
- The people who are writing this have no life.

Jazzem

I've been watching a lot of classics Simpsons lately, forgot how much I loved the show :) The scary thing is I have an episode guide going up to the end of season 8, and I'm sure I've seen every episode in the book! I was obsessed as a kid, nice to see it still holds up over the years.

I'm reluctant to say every post season 9 episode is bad, but the show definitely lacks the sense of inventiveness these days. Maybe developing the movie partially hurt it (Which I personally enjoyed, though much more on the first viewing than the second). On the other hand, I've gone through seasons 4 and 5 via DVD boxsets and am currently progressing through 3. Woot! The commentaries are great as well, funny and really informative. It's great to get a little insight into how my favorites were made.

Cohsae said:
According to SNPP, the list from Homer Bad Man is:
- "Peoples' Choice Awards" _is_ America's greatest honor.
- Styrofoam is not made from kittens.
- The UFO was a paper plate.
- The nerds on the Internet are not geeks.
- The word "cheese" is not funny in and of itself.
- The older Flanders boy is Todd, not Rod.
- Lyndon Johnson did not provide the voice of Yosemite Sam.
- If you are reading this, you have no life.
- Roy Rogers was not buried in his horse.
- The other UFO was an upside down salad spinner.
- Our universities are not "hotbeds" of anything.
- Mr. Dershowitz did not literally have four eyes.
- Our viewers are not pathetic sexless food tubes.
- Audrey Hepburn never weighed 400 pounds.
- The "Cheers" gang is not a real gang.
- Salt water does not chase the thirsties away.
- Licking an electrical outlet will not turn you into a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger.
- Cats do not eventually turn into dogs.
- Bullets do not bounce off of fat guys.
- Recycling does not deplete the ozone.
- Everything is 10% fruit juice.
- The flesh eating virus does not hide in ice cream.
- Janet Reno is evil.
- V8 juice is not 1/8 gasoline.
- Ted Koppel is a robot.
- Women aren't from Venus and men aren't form Mars.
- Fleiss does floss.
- Quayle is familiar with common bathroom procedures.
- Bart is bad to the bone.
- Godfry Jones' wife is cheating on him.
- The Beatles haven't reunited to enter kick boxing competitions.
- The "Bug" on your TV screen can see into your home.
- Everyone on TV is better than you.
- The people who are writing this have no life.
Wait, what is this exactly?

Edit: the credits from Kent Brockmans program or something?

Grug

Souldriver said:
Wait, what is this exactly?

Edit: the credits from Kent Brockmans program or something?

Its the list of retractions issued by the "Rock Bottom" investigative current affairs program.

The entire list scrolls up the screen in about one and a half seconds.

Jasoco

Banned
Hidden textual jokes like that are always the best. You don't see that anymore do you? I can't remember the last time they did that.

Guzim

Grug said:
Its the list of retractions issued by the "Rock Bottom" investigative current affairs channel.

The entire list scrolls up the screen in about one and a half seconds.
My favorite is from Bart's Comet when Kent Brockman says, "The following people are gay." And the list is just the writers' names :lol

RaAhBBk4TkzgnuglHLt5DCHMo1_500.jpg

Jasoco said:
Hidden textual jokes like that are always the best. You don't see that anymore do you? I can't remember the last time they did that.
They rarely even do regular old signs anymore, other than the church sign.

RaAhBBk4Tkeku1625iDdXymdo1_500.jpg

RaAhBBk4Tke5fvmbRnCHIOFMo1_500.jpg

RaAhBBk4Tkb952pds7yPSmboo1_500.png

RaAhBBk4Tk2pq0giSENgZSMao1_500.png

RaAhBBk4Tjvb2tu7BsILy50No1_500.png

RaAhBBk4Tjnrnzr6azQWg4Fko1_500.png

RaAhBBk4Tihgviyt5jsfhO10o1_500.jpg

RaAhBBk4Ti9ldhb1mqExxJjmo1_500.jpg

RaAhBBk4Ti9lfbf4tVkJEZqeo1_500.jpg

RaAhBBk4ThxtcuutWGZGi6LGo1_500.png

RaAhBBk4Thwdh4hpcyO6VKydo1_500.png

Grug

AniHawk said:
Sideshow Bob Roberts is great. One of my favorite episodes.

"You want the truth! You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! Bah! I deride your truth handling abilities!"

168.jpg

Sideshow Bob Roberts is totally underrated.

TV Commercial:

[scene shows prisoners going in a revolving door and coming out immediately, scene shows prisoners leaving on escalator and ski lift]

Voice: Mayor Quimby supports revolving door prisons. Mayor Quimby even released Sideshow Bob -- a man twice convicted of attempted murder. Can you trust a man like Mayor Quimby? Vote Sideshow Bob for mayor.

I would say that the first 5 or so Sideshow Bob episodes are guaranteed classics. It was when he lived with the Simpsons or some such that they ruined him (and Frank Grimes, by proxy).

In fact, any top ten list I would ever make would have Grimes' and a Sideshow Bob ep in there somewhere.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
my favorite sideshow bob episode is still "black widower."

"who used my chapstick?"
"oh, i did, here you go."

2qk4iok.jpg

"i don't want it.'

zladxc.jpg

"then i go and spoil it all by doing something stupid like exploooode youuu"

Darko

Souldriver said:
OMG!! How on earth did I miss this thread!!!!!?????!!!!!!! BEST.THREAD.EVER.

I'd like to contribute with a less famous scene that I just recently discovered as hilarious. It's from Summer of 4 ft 2. The slow way how Homer's face changes to a laugh when seeing Bart's "mystery date" is amazing. :lol :lol

2759Homer01.png

77188Homer02.png

64677Homer03.png

84807Homer04.png

10338Homer05.png

48893Homer06.png

:lol

OMG YES!, i used to rewind that shit and play it over and over :lol :lol :lol :lol

Loved this show right up to season 13. Yeah it lost some of its luster, but it remained better than most TV. There are still some more recent decent ones too - I liked the 24 one for instance.

In conclusion, Libya is a land of contrast.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I know we're supposed to post screencaps of OLD episodes to show somethign that the simpsons doesn't have anymore, but this scene for last sunday's episode brought back some memories:

You see, Homer and Grandpa were drunk dancing around on top of barrels, and they smashed together, resulting in... crazy body proportions!

grandpa.jpg

I know it's nowhere near the crazyness of the older episodes, but look at it! Homer's leg is longer than the rest of his body, Grandpa's face is all wrong... And the scene really jumped at me while i was watching, like "hey, something different happened there!".

It's nowhere near how it was, but it was nice to see it again.

drizzle said:
I know we're supposed to post screencaps of OLD episodes to show somethign that the simpsons doesn't have anymore, but this scene for last sunday's episode brought back some memories:

You see, Homer and Grandpa were drunk dancing around on top of barrels, and they smashed together, resulting in... crazy body proportions!

grandpa.jpg

I know it's nowhere near the crazyness of the older episodes, but look at it! Homer's leg is longer than the rest of his body, Grandpa's face is all wrong... And the scene really jumped at me while i was watching, like "hey, something different happened there!".

It's nowhere near how it was, but it was nice to see it again.
Thing is, if people started this thread just to show "how much the Simpsons suck nowadays", I personally think that, while I do prefer the older visuals of the Simpsons, the visuals are the least of the Simpsons problems.

If they somehow managed to get the quality up to the old seasons, but with the new HD widescreen 3D visuals, I wouldn't complain.

The scenario's really were a gazillion times better 10 years ago, but the longing back to the older visuals is for a great part just nostalgia, I think.

Crazy body proportions isn't what gives the Simpsons its charisma. That picture is so stale to me. It's so plainly computer generated with perfect lines and coloring on everything. It's missing the fun.

That picture of Homer telling Bart there's a boogeyman exemplifies the sort of visual humor we miss. That picture is funny and tells a story without any context.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I do agree that story-wise, it's been lacking for a while.

This season is not as bad as previous ones were, and obviously, old simpsons is still much, much better. But it's not completly devoided of crazyness. It's just much, much less apparent.

I do understand that the "dirty" look of hand made episodes is much, much better, and that you can see even before the transition to HD.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
no, the a.v. club isn't parody.

maybe i'm just jaded, but i think all the episodes on their list are still extremely mediocre.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
it's too bad DAILY RADAR shut down. they have a list of the top 50 simpsons moments that was just excellent; before there were complete dvd sets, it was a way to remind yourself of all the things you'd forgotten about past episodes.

Scum

Who Shot Mr. Burn's? [Part 1] is all kinds of awesome and one of my favs. Dialogue throughout the whole episode is just plain superb.

Barney: "These fumes aren't as fun as beer. Sure, I'm all dizzy and nauseous, but where's the inflated sense of self-esteem?" :lol

Burns: [chuckling] "Oh, those wheels are squeaking a bit. Perhaps I can sell him a little oil?"

Mr. Burns was on top form throughout! :lol

This is one of the great threads on gaf. So many great moments, and I lol'd just from looking at pictures n small quotes.

An episode popped into my head but the damn thing has gone again.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
racing stripes, mini vanity license plates, a delicacy among untrained family dogs. . . the assassins are the premier sport shoe for everyone from the fit. . .

wmmh08.jpg

. . . to the grossly corpulent.

29oqq7k.jpg
24v4ccy.jpg

m4msp.jpg
2dhfc74.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
beelzebozo said:
racing stripes, mini vanity license plates, a delicacy among untrained family dogs. . . the assassins are the premier sport shoe for everyone from the fit. . .

wmmh08.jpg

. . . to the grossly corpulent.

29oqq7k.jpg
24v4ccy.jpg

m4msp.jpg
2dhfc74.jpg
ASSASSINS!!!! :lol

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
"I'm a brick"

118j9yh.jpg

There's also a funny clip in one of the newer episodes where Lisa pretends to be a college student. She goes back to school and the kids are rolling down a hill and Ralph just looks forward for like 5-6 seconds then falls down the hill. Gets me every time.

ATF487

Just saw this quote on a forum...never let this thread die!

Burns: There you are...there you go, little fellow...and you. [one of the puppies stands on its hind legs] [gasps] Smithers, look: he's standing up. I've never seen anything so adorable! Do you know who it reminds me of?
Smithers: Benji?
Burns: No.
Smithers: Lassie?
Burns: No, no, no, a person. You know who I mean.
Smithers: Snoop Doggy Dogg? Bob Barker? David Brenner?
Burns: No, no! The person who's always standing and walking.
Smithers: Rory Calhoun?
Burns: That's it!

AniHawk

ATF487 said:
Just saw this quote on a forum...never let this thread die!

Burns: There you are...there you go, little fellow...and you. [one of the puppies stands on its hind legs] [gasps] Smithers, look: he's standing up. I've never seen anything so adorable! Do you know who it reminds me of?
Smithers: Benji?
Burns: No.
Smithers: Lassie?
Burns: No, no, no, a person. You know who I mean.
Smithers: Snoop Doggy Dogg? Bob Barker? David Brenner?
Burns: No, no! The person who's always standing and walking.
Smithers: Rory Calhoun?
Burns: That's it!

The best part is that he keeps going back to Rory Calhoun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom