• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albert Penello puts dGPU Xbox One rumor to rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypah

Have you been in this thread long? There's been VERY little gifs/meme pics in this thread...nor were "why is your product shitty". The vast majority of responses in this thread have been on point and dealt directly with Albert's tech posts. And the only people that were banned were snarky Xbone dudes acting like douches.

Sorry, what? I said if the posts were well thought out then they had a right to be posted. I also gave examples of things that a "hater" (delusional fanboy) would say. The former is what he should be interested in reading and the latter is what he should be avoiding. Considering the post that I quoted was questioning why Albert shouldn't avoid "haters" I thought my post was rather clear. You seem kind of turnt-up in this thread so I'm not trying to start shit with you.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
Sure you can but, as was pointed out a few pages back, using launch titles as the bar historically works against you as developers become more accustomed to each of the co soles architecture. The information Albert has now is coming from devs who have only been working with these dev kits for a short period of time.

Maybe you can explain what Albert's trying to say, since he's apparently tapped out for the night. Albert has stated that multiplats are running at near parity. Is that because

1. The Xbox One and PS4 are essentially equal in power?
or
2. Developers haven't had enough time/experience to exploit the power advantages one has over the other?

And Driveclub runs at 30fps. What's your point?
The point is that Albert said two games looked great. The PS4 game he saw was running 50% faster than the One game. This does not at all fit in with his narrative that you can't tell any difference right now.

Driveclub being 30fps isn't relevant because he didn't think it looked great. Killzone singleplayer being 30fps isn't relevant because that's not what Albert saw.

Finalizer

Someone was actually trying to argue for DRM? I can't even.

Sadly, eastmen has to come in and have his DRM defense piece in every major Xbone thread. And he brings the same tired Steam comparisons every time. It's getting really old, and I feel sorry for the folks who've been putting up with that kind of nonsense since the rumors started coming out of the wood-works.

B.O.O.M

I don't know what Driveclub is. I know what #Driveclub is though. And the game looks fun!

Just making fun of the stupid product decision on Driveclub by Sony

But that # isn't part of the name..it was just marketing stuff as far as I know to promote the social aspect of it

FPS comparisons will only get you so far.
As an easy example: Counter-Strike: Source has hundreds of FPS on 640x480 and with everything turned off but looks like shit. Pump it up to 1920x1080, turn everything on and you'll have much less FPS but the game looks miles better.
Of course. But Albert specifically said both are "great-looking games", presumably establishing rough parity for the onscreen visuals. That leaves just the framerate difference.

Sorry, what? I said if the posts were well thought out then they had a right to be posted. I also gave examples of things that a "hater" (delusional fanboy) would say. The former is what he should be interested in reading and the latter is what he should be avoiding. Considering the post that I quoted was questioning why Albert shouldn't avoid "haters" I thought my post was rather clear. You seem kind of turnt-up in this thread so I'm not trying to start shit with you.
Oh god lmao, on gaf.. never thought I see the day. Well maybe in OT.

i don;t why you lads think, his even going to say anything negative in regard to his company or positive towards ps4 being more powers.

just let it go, if your not interested in the system don't matter what he says.

GREATNESS AWAITS

Dragon

Banned
But that # isn't part of the name..it was just marketing stuff as far as I know to promote the social aspect of it

It's just weird because they definitely make a distinction with THIS particular game about using the hash. As if Killzone multiplayer won't be any more social?

FINALBOSS

Banned

Sorry man it's late and the medication I take before going to bed...usually kicks in when I'm sleeping. It's been a long night and I'm playing Binding of Isaac and watching Workaholics and reading this thread all at the same time.

My bad for reading your post wrong. My eyes are going crosseyed from being in here so long, lol.

The way he doesn't respond to direct arguments is making me think that Albert Penello is actually TheKayle... (and the similar misinformated posts to boot)

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
Hey, thats an excellent idea--and with all the money has Kaz must've been sending you for all those less than stellar 3rd party PS3 multiplats over the last 6-7 years, you should have enough money for a couple dozen Xbones by now, right? ;)

I kid.

Well, I bought mine as a Blu-Ray player, the fact that it played downgraded ports was just an added bonus. :)

Joking aside, i think he's making a statement based on the engineering, tools, and support Microsoft is providing. I would say that the ball is in the court of the developers now, not him. We've seen what happens when a platform is truly unable to perform to Devs needs or expectations (the Wii U, which simply is left out in the cold when it comes to new engine development).

I have little doubt that the PS4 is going to produce better looking first party games in the long run ( I am, in fact, counting on it). But those that utilize the common denominator of engines optimized to run on two machines with similar architectures, it would be fallacious to assume the One is going to be simply left in the dust. It would also be erroneous to assume that it's not going to have impressive looking games in its own right because, as we all know, power is only one factor in the equation.

Art, design, gameplay concept, execution, these are all elements which will utilize each console's strengths and limitations in varied and clever ways, so the continued argument that fill-rates and pixel counts represent some kind of objective magic bullet that supercedes any potential not illustrated by numbers on paper is, simply, wrong. One only has to look back at the last few hardware generations to realize that having the best specifications is never really the deciding factor in your console's success, yet the same argument resurfaces every time we start a new cycle. It is one reason why such threads are continually locked (because it becomes, it its heart, a fairly pointless endeavor based on emotions fueled by erroneous assumptions.) In my opinion, games are multidisciplinary effort created by programmers, artists, designers, play testers, writers, and not just hardware engineers.

That's my question. Albert has stated that the comments about PS4 versions of games looking better are false. So, if there are games that look better on PS4, what's the reason? Lazy devs?

FINALBOSS

Banned
I am shocked that there is, once again, no secret sauce.

There you are. I missed you in this thread. It was good fun.

And once again, maybe Albert all along has just been making the argument that games at LAUNCH won't show the huge leap in specs. Would be a wonderful way to get out of his claims--an argument of semantics.

The infinite power of the imagination.
inJ15AV98ar4G.jpg

An elegant system, for a more civilized age

I'm surprised he had to put anything to rest. I mean who believed that nonsense anyway? The fundamental system architecture isn't going to have some surprise secret processor that no one knows about all the way up to 2-3 months before launch. Sillyness.

The point is that Albert said two games looked great. The PS4 game he saw was running 50% faster than the One game. This does not at all fit in with his narrative that you can't tell any difference right now.

Driveclub being 30fps isn't relevant because he didn't think it looked great. Killzone singleplayer being 30fps isn't relevant because that's not what Albert saw.

And don't you think that perhaps your comparison would make just a liiiiiittle bit more sense if you waited to see a AAA first party fps like, say, Halo 5, on the One before you make such a statement?

Oh and btw, Halo 5 has been announced to run at 60 fps. And it won't be a corridor shooter :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom