• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Ship [OT]: Sundays 9:00pm on TNT: Russian BF4 Heli Pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Since it's Greece, you have to hope that somehow the Greek Navy is working with the terrorists which basically connects the two plotlines conveniently together.

strafer

Well that was an explosive premiere. Real good to have the show back.

Also lol at Jasper from Twilight is playing the bad guy.

And it makes sense for Burk to be absent for a while since he's on Designated Survivor now.

Joni

I'm not feeling it this year. Story feels to disconnected and the threat seems a bit undercooked because we didn't have a chance to really see it.

I really wish the main cast had more international crew in it.
They do try often but i'd really like to see more.

I so wanted Takehaya to get a ship and be part of a fleet commanded by Chandler.

Catdaddy

Wife and I watched the two episode premier and also not feeling it, will still give a couple more episodes to see how it goes. I don’t think I’ve cringed so many times at a single show, basically almost every scene Eric Dane was in, which is sad I really like the dude. This show has always been a guilty pleasure but seems to be going off the rails. Is there a post-pandemic razor shortage? Seems most guys have a beard now.

I liked it.. for the most part.

I rolled my eyes at the beginning of the first episode as they transitioned from a Huey to a Seahawk and I thought it was just really stupid.. then in the 2nd episode I realized the Seahawk scene is just the standard intro.. the way it was edited though it made it look like they were going for one shot.

The special effects this season feel like a step down from previous seasons, for whatever reason.

I actually like the basis for the story, finally feels apocalyptic again, and the premise that the virus spread back to plants (why only food plants?) seems plausible enough.

I could probably do without the Chandler side-missions though. Did he just leave his kids with the Greek girl? If her Father is dead, and he was bringing in their food.. do they all just starve now?

Is it really only 10 episodes this season? Crazy.. oh well, I am sure I'll enjoy it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I dunno, I'm not saying I love it, but I don't really hate it either. The Greeks are pretty boring villains though.

Sober

I've been reviewing this season on my personal blog and yeah this is not the best season. I think the setting and premise are good but execution is lacking. Especially since last season where they really blew their load and I think for the worse. That could've been two seasons with the Chinese threat and the threat at home being so well developed but kinda sizzled out at the end. This kinda just exists without any real good hooks yet.

Hopefully Peter Weller can deliver.

Season is garbage, holy shit.
Nearly halfway over already and it feels like maybe 1 episode worth of actual progression.
If it was 13 episodes it could be okay but we're at the halfway point now too. Wonder what exactly is in store. But yeah this season isn't that great after last season. At least they had 13 episodes so they could afford to have people stranded, kidnapped or whatever for a while.

I dunno, I'm not saying I love it, but I don't really hate it either. The Greeks are pretty boring villains though.
Well Omar is still technically alive but he doesn't have a destroyer or anything so I wonder why they kept him alive to be honest. Unless he has another rocket launcher at the Gibraltar lol.

Only play Giorgio has left is to kidnap Tom's children. At this point, why not?

I've been reviewing this season on my personal blog and yeah this is not the best season. I think the setting and premise are good but execution is lacking. Especially since last season where they really blew their load and I think for the worse. That could've been two seasons with the Chinese threat and the threat at home being so well developed but kinda sizzled out at the end. This kinda just exists without any real good hooks yet.

Hopefully Peter Weller can deliver.

If it was 13 episodes it could be okay but we're at the halfway point now too. Wonder what exactly is in store. But yeah this season isn't that great after last season. At least they had 13 episodes so they could afford to have people stranded, kidnapped or whatever for a while.

Well Omar is still technically alive but he doesn't have a destroyer or anything so I wonder why they kept him alive to be honest. Unless he has another rocket launcher at the Gibraltar lol.

Only play Giorgio has left is to kidnap Tom's children. At this point, why not?

The predictability of the show really kills it this season. I especially like how they artificially prolong the storyline by characters making really dumb choices.

The predictability of the show really kills it this season. I especially like how they artificially prolong the storyline by characters making really dumb choices.

Yup, previously dumb stuff either didn't catch up with them or they had time to play with.
Now the show doesn't have time to play with and every little thing is slowing them up.

And why didn't they even fire on the Greek ship... because it will play a role later.

Also did they mention where the engineer chick is or am I somehow completely missing her?

Kaizer

Banned
Gotta say, I've been enjoying the season so far but I can definitely see why others might dislike the storytelling this season. I think they're doing a good job for a show that really should've only had like two seasons to tell its core story. I enjoy that they try to mix it up each year with new locations & situations for the characters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gotta say, I've been enjoying the season so far but I can definitely see why others might dislike the storytelling this season. I think they're doing a good job for a show that really should've only had like two seasons to tell its core story. I enjoy that they try to mix it up each year with new locations & situations for the characters.
Given that they were going to film two seasons back to back, I wonder if they planned a longer arc or if they'll just solve the problem by episode 10.

Nice getting everyone back together at least.

I still am not sure where exactly this season is going, but for an hour a week I get to watch a show where they shoot stuff and sometimes blow things up. I'm OK with that.

Nice that we had a more NAVAL slant to this weeks episode.

Joni

So, so, so many stupid decisions. Take down the Greek ships when you are right in the middle. Chase the bad guy holding the future of humanity instead of trying to save the dead kid. Shoot the traitor on your boat on sight!
And where in heaven's name did Garnett ( Fay Masterson ) disappear to?

strafer

So, so, so many stupid decisions. Take down the Greek ships when you are right in the middle. Chase the bad guy holding the future of humanity instead of trying to save the dead kid. Shoot the traitor on your boat on sight!

I wonder what Trump feels when the show makes the Navy look stupid. :p

Nice getting everyone back together at least.

I still am not sure where exactly this season is going, but for an hour a week I get to watch a show where they shoot stuff and sometimes blow things up. I'm OK with that.

Nice that we had a more NAVAL slant to this weeks episode.

As much as I dump on this season I still love the show and literally start each episode within 30 minutes.

There is just nothing similar to it on tv anywhere (Last Resort kinda but got cancelled in S1)
It is serial and just feels way bigger than tv series feel outside of Netflix or HBO.

Though im American I think the only major change i'd like is for more international presence with the Americans.
The ones we have and have had are great but i'd like to see more than a handful.

I even watched Whale Wars for the unique naval/nautical theme but thats gone as well

And where in heaven's name did Garnett ( Fay Masterson ) disappear to?

LOL yup,
Not shooting the Greek ships is made more stupid when they for some reason didn't destroy the flagship in a previous episode(even after it fired on Americans).

And I was meaning her when I asked earlier on this page, I couldn't remember her name.

Joni

The Last Ship Season 5 has finished filming, and Travis celebrated by spreading the 'Series Wrap' picture confirming that this fifth season is the final season.

last-ship-travis-ig.jpg

TNT on the other hand disagrees. Which is going to be interesting.
http://tvline.com/2017/09/22/last-ship-season-5-cancelled-rumor-tnt-statement/

Sober

Had a few thoughts about the last two episodes.

The action is great and all in comparison but the world building is really weak. To me it feels like season 1 again despite last season having the best, what with like 3 POVs to the world. Here it just feels like Nathan James vs. mad scientist. Also yeah, I kinda hate that the show basically decided Paul Vellek is just gonna be a mad scientist supervillain.

Tamanon

Banned
The "Oh shit" from Omar was funny, but so damn cheesy and out of place. It was an oddly written episode, especially how cocky Chandler was when they had Giorgio.

Sober

So I watched the episode late but here are my thoughts on it.

To be honest, that twist was kinda silly - if not stupid - and Fletcher is either the worst spy ever or Giorgio is some tactical genius for fooling him or blood is thicker than water or whatever.

At least we got to see Wolf throw down. Forgot how much of a beast Bren Foster is.

2 episodes to go this season but it's been rather meh to be honest.

Joni

What a pointless twist. We haven't learned to give a shit about this villain, so why would we give a shit about him being crazy. Just makes it look like his kids are going to become heroes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What a pointless twist. We haven't learned to give a shit about this villain, so why would we give a shit about him being crazy. Just makes it look like his kids are going to become heroes.

I think the idea is that Robocop is just like the Chandler in that they had something happen that made them give up on humanity. They both decided to withdraw from the world, which is why Chandler tried to talk him back - the same way he came back. I mean, a dead son isn't really that great a motivator compared to murdering a woman who tried to take over the United States, but you know, not everyone can stop a civil war. lol

I guess at this point we can just expect the finales to be action-packed. Assuming S5 is the end, I wonder what they could possibly do next. I still would be fine if they just decided to have aliens ship up and make the Nathan James a spaceship like in Yamato 2199. lol

I'm glad the finale wrapped it all up for the most part.

Next season looks fine. I like the premise in general.

This show is just fun mostly mindless entertainment over the summer and I'm OK with more.

Did like that we got more actual Ship action in the last couple of episodes!

And did everyone forget about his girlfriend and kids in Greece?

Am I the only one that gets bothered by Wolf and Danny wearing camo combat uniforms on the ship, switching to all black combat uniforms on missions and then back to their regular combat uniforms after returning to the ship?
bugged me all season.

Is there a preview for Season 5? What is it supposed to be about?
US has a fleet again, a cyber attack happens during the celebration and predator drones are hijacked to attack the party.
Villain is a Latin American leading a revolution.

That was a big damn tease, it honestly was like a next episode preview but ended with "Returns next summer"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
US has a fleet again, a cyber attack happens during the celebration and predator drones are hijacked to attack the party.
Villain is a Latin American leading a revolution.

That was a big damn tease, it honestly was like a next episode preview but ended with "Returns next summer"
I guess trying to prevent the rise of American imperial power again might make some sense? They're running out of reasons for people to keep trying to attack the Navy though. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess they could be more interesting than Robocop. lol

It's funny that I still think the sub brothers from season 2 are the best villains after all this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom