• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate free version info

Monocle

Nice idea. I hope this practice becomes more common. I know I'd be likely to buy more games if most demos gave you such a generous slice of the full version.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They are though. Other characters will be free for a few days. The assumption being that once players find their favorites, they'll buy them to keep playing them.

Let's be honest. They won't. Because Ayane, Kasumi, Hayabusa are brain-dead-easy-damage characters that will steamroll the non-F2P characters like Hitomi unless TN finally nerfed the Ninja's into the ground to where people will actually play the other 90% of the cast.

synce

No DLC included in either free or paid version of this "ultimate" re-release... This could be good news if you like Tengu, it means none of the Asian girls will have bikinis in the base version so the 14th CE bikini may just be an alt for Momiji to help her catch up.

Jawmuncher

Woah Woah Woah Hold Up.
In probably late to the party on this but they're adding momiji to DOA?! That's news enough for me!

As for this system. Seems interesting enough.
So long as the complete price is still that of a normal game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
some more info from the interview:

-Ein is based on DOA2 but have new moves. Users from DOA2 will not have any problem using him from the beginning.
-Jacky and Momiji are both made to be easy to use.
-with free version, you will be able to fight against all the characters
-they are planning promotions where they will have a certain character unlock for free for few days for people to try out. If they like that character, they can go buy that character.
-the full package user will not be able to tell if you are playing from free version.
-there is no limitations for free version like "you can play XX number of games per day." sort of thing.
-the free version is for PS3 only at this moment. They are working hard to get it on Xbox360 as well, but they cannot promise it will come.
Wow, I'm liking the sound of this more & more. Really hoping they bring this to the US now.

New trend arising most likely.

Online for all games will be F2P while the single player will be locked behind a pay-wall.

makes sense honestly.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm guessing this also means they're getting rid of the Online Pass? It wouldn't make much sense for people with the trial version to have online play, but not people with the full game.

If so, that's more good news.

Malajax

I think the ideal f2p fighting game would have the base game as free, then offer an insane amount of customization for a price.

This seems like an ok step in that direction.

Mr_eX

Let's be honest. They won't. Because Ayane, Kasumi, Hayabusa are brain-dead-easy-damage characters that will steamroll the non-F2P characters like Hitomi unless TN finally nerfed the Ninja's into the ground to where people will actually play the other 90% of the cast.

That's really only kind of true for casual players. My Brad Wrong will destroy 99% of ninja users online.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That's really only kind of true for casual players. My Brad Wrong will destroy 99% of ninja users online.

And that's the problem. 99% of players online are the Ninja's. They're the "flowchart Ken" of DOA and it needs to be fixed for me to even consider the online again.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
So, like $100+ if you end up deciding to buy all the characters/story mode? I'll just buy the full version.

m0t0k1

It is pretty great to here you can take your DLC to the next game. And I like the idea of the free game. But i probably would buy the full package because i treat doa more like a party game then serious stuff and when friends come over we go through the whole character roster.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, like $100+ if you end up deciding to buy all the characters/story mode? I'll just buy the full version.

Well, that's the point. If you want it piecemeal, the option is there, but otherwise you'd just buy the whole game up front for cheaper. If you know you're never going to use certain characters or do the story mode, then I can see why some people might opt to go the Core Edition + DLC route.

BadWolf

Yeah but it is good to have a choice.

I will get the free version and maybe pick up a character or two down the line, that's more than enough for me.

Hope this works out well for them and more follow.

Elixist

it'd be cool to see them go full on Leagues with two currencies. Everybody has all the stages and a weekly pool of 4 to 8 characters available to all. Play and unlock characters or pay and unlock characters. Pay for skins.

Kincaido

Well, that's the point. If you want it piecemeal, the option is there, but otherwise you'd just buy the whole game up front for cheaper. If you know you're never going to use certain characters or do the story mode, then I can see why some people might opt to go the Core Edition + DLC route.

Yeah but it is good to have a choice.

I will get the free version and maybe pick up a character or two down the line, that's more than enough for me.

Yeah, I can see why it's good for the people that only play 1-3 characters. I'd probably end up buying only the girls if I did this since I like to play most of them, but buying just them all will be $52 ($56, assuming there's still one not revealed) still so I'll just stick with the disc. Interesting idea, just not for me in this case. It would be perfect for me if Street Fighter or KoF did it though lol.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah, I can see why it's good for the people that only play 1-3 characters. I'd probably end up buying only the girls if I did this since I like to play most of them, but buying just them all will be $52 ($56, assuming there's still one not revealed) still so I'll just stick with the disc. Interesting idea, just not for me in this case. It would be perfect for me if Street Fighter or KoF did it though lol.

Yeah, the model is very clearly angled towards a particular type of player. I'll be buying the disc as well.

What I actually find more interesting is that DOA5Core could potentially keep the online scene alive more for everyone. Free to play means more people are going to be willing to try it out, especially if they get to face off against a multitude of different characters online. It promotes a healthy online community, especially if they come through with certain "Free Weekends" with other characters.

RedSwirl

Yeah, the model is very clearly angled towards a particular type of player. I'll be buying the disc as well.

What I actually find more interesting is that DOA5Core could potentially keep the online scene alive more for everyone. Free to play means more people are going to be willing to try it out, especially if they get to face off against a multitude of different characters online. It promotes a healthy online community, especially if they come through with certain "Free Weekends" with other characters.

Personally I would've made all characters free along with standard online, standard local, and training with all other modes, stages, and cosmetics as microtransactions. That's more of an approach for recreational players though.

Hopefully this comes overseas. If so, I might check this out and just buy Jan Lee and Lei Fang.

I think F2P is really gonna make a big entrance onto consoles next gen. It's just a matter of actual good games being applied to the model.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So you can use locked characters in Tutorial Mode? Sounds like that might count as a "demo" in order to try out a character before unlocking them for all the other modes. Unless they mean they can be opponents in Tutorial.

Kincaido

Yeah, I'm hoping that's the case too. It was kinda hard finding games on the console version for a while. Finding games on the Vita were pretty good too for the first few weeks because of the demo being able to play against people with the full version. (matchmaking problems aside)

sleepykyo

Eh, I'll admit I haven't watched too many tourneys, but those 3 haven't shown up very often. Jann Lee, Helena, Alpha and even the VF characters (Sarah/Akira) have more wins. I guess it is possible there is the SF Ryu (easy as hell in low-mid level play while unbelievably difficult in highly competitive play).

i'm shallow and play charas based on looks.

i mean movesets and fighting style looks. i'm not -that- shallow.

Skilletor

Eh, I'll admit I haven't watched too many tourneys, but those 3 haven't shown up very often. Jann Lee, Helena, Alpha and even the VF characters (Sarah/Akira) have more wins. I guess it is possible there is the SF Ryu (easy as hell in low-mid level play while unbelievably difficult in highly competitive play).

According to FSD, the current tiers look something like this:

Based on the current in progress match-up chart, here are the current tiers:
May 26, 2013 12:36 PM (GMT - 5)
S: Ayane, Leifang, Kasumi, Christie, Sarah
A: Jann Lee, Akira, ALPHA-152
B: Brad Wong, Lisa, Pai, Hayabusa, Gen Fu, Mila, Helena, Hitomi, Kokoro, Bayman, Hayate, Tina
C: Zack, Rig, Bass, Eliot?

So not too bad, and Ayane and Kasumi at low/mid levels are more annoying than anything.

web01

Seems like an interesting test but I imagine lots of hardcore players would just buy their main character for on line and that is all maybe leading to even less sales.

Then again maybe those players will be willing to shell out money for DLC costumes for those characters since they got the game for so cheap.

shaowebb

Doesn't sound bad at all. Looks like more devs are trying out free to play.

This. Its a much more appealing setup than a normal demo would be and it lets folks who play the free version who were only really curious about one other character buy them without investing the rest of the bank on the whole game. Plus it insures online opponents for the "demo" is possible because technically its just a heavily locked down version of the full game.

Very nice.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Personally I would've made all characters free along with standard online, standard local, and training with all other modes, stages, and cosmetics as microtransactions. That's more of an approach for recreational players though.

Hopefully this comes overseas. If so, I might check this out and just buy Jan Lee and Lei Fang.

I think F2P is really gonna make a big entrance onto consoles next gen. It's just a matter of actual good games being applied to the model.

That is way waaay too much free stuff. There would be far too many people that would simply opt to not purchase the game or DLC. For a good portion of fighting game players, what you listed is literally all you need in a fighter, so why buy anything else? They're trying to incentivize purchases, not give stuff away.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Thought just occurred to me. Will be able to get trophies (& if 360 gets it, achievements) in this version? Obviously, there's some that couldn't be obtained without getting more characters & Story Mode, but I'm sure there's some that could be done with the modes and characters you're given.

Thought just occurred to me. Will be able to get trophies (& if 360 gets it, achievements) in this version? Obviously, there's some that couldn't be obtained without getting more characters & Story Mode, but I'm sure there's some that could be done with the modes and characters you're given.

I doubt you would be allowed to get trophies by playing the free version. It's a pretty bad comparison, but you can't get trophies in the free version of games like DC universe online so I doubt you could get trophies from something like this. It works as another incentive to buy the full version as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I doubt you would be allowed to get trophies by playing the free version. It's a pretty bad comparison, but you can't get trophies in the free version of games like DC universe online so I doubt you could get trophies from something like this. It works as another incentive to buy the full version as well.
So then would they be unlocked if you bought just a single character? I imagine they'd be part of the same list, then after getting a few from trying the game, it could convince people to either get the retail version or buy more DLC. Granted, the list could be different from DoA5 & 5+, but at the very least, getting the XX online matches ones could still be earned. Guess we'll have to wait & see.

Loona

I wonder if they'll add more team throws - regular DoA5 only let Mila do those with Tina and Bass, while more established characters got to have them with most of the cast.

This sort of thing might affect whom or which version I buy.

androvsky

Wouldn't this mean they'll have a serious financial incentive to balance the characters as much as possible?

Espada

Wow, this execution of the F2P concept is perfect for the fighting game genre. Typically the only things that matter in a fighting game are online and offline versus, training mode, and the roster itself. Story/Arcade mode is worthless filler in this genre, and most people stick to just one or two characters. Locking the unimportant aspects of the game behind a paywall and adopting an a la carte approach makes sense. I can see them tracking which characters are more popular this way, too.

Ultimately, fighting games will probably become F2P online-only affairs due to the nature of the gameplay experience. Nice to see Team Ninja at the forefront here.

Mesharey

I wonder if they'll add more team throws - regular DoA5 only let Mila do those with Tina and Bass, while more established characters got to have them with most of the cast.

This sort of thing might affect whom or which version I buy.
They added tag throws for more characters, in the last trailer Christie and Rig were givin a tag throw.

Skilletor

Wouldn't this mean they'll have a serious financial incentive to balance the characters as much as possible?

I'm pretty sure the game is very balanced. People like ninjas. DoA has a lot of ninjas. They're not overpowered or anything. It's like complaining about people using shotos in SF. Yeah, they're good, but aside from top tier Akuma or top tier Ken in SF3, they're not amazing characters. People just bitch because they see the character a lot.

Bring on the easy wins, I say.

Sulik2

Interesting decision, basically turning it into a free-2-play fighting game. I bet this does well for them. Nice to see that saves will transfer. I still want a PC release for this. The aliasing and image quality are so bad for a game with such amazing character models and animations.

I hope the free version comes out on the 360 also, I want that community to thrive as well =/ I have a PS3 also, but everyone I know that plays DOA only has a 360.

Top Bottom