• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

Drifters

getting-annihilated-sun-Sunshine-somehow-lends-him-angelic-glow.gif

Drifters

Good time for a reminder that the US government sold 144,336 bitcoins at an average price of $334 after the Silk Road incident.

If only they knew the virtues of hloding.
To be fair, the most probable reason for that was to not have to deal with profits / interest. Although, if it didn't matter, yeah, dumb move.

Hi guys I'm very new to cryptocurrency. I'm already at the point of looking into using wallets and considering the paper wallet from bitaddress.org or go straight to using Mycelium on my phone. Any guys here have experience in using either of the two?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Could you explain to a noob your analysis?
Not sure why those figures considered good?

Btw anyone into Metaverse? sounds like an interesting coin from china. Supposed to be the next Neo.

A lot of my learning has come from DataDash on YouTube in addition to just doing my own research.

Basically low market cap means huge room for growth. High volume means that investors are interested and actively trading the coin, and a reasonable total supply means there's actual value that can be gained per coin (think US govt pumping too much new cash flow into the economy thus increasing inflation and lowering per dollar value).

As for the website you can use more common sense on there to see if it's a legit coin/team: is their site set up appropriately? Do you know what the point of the coin is on the front page? Can you find the team easily? Does the team have enough people to justify their ambitions (aka not just one engineer and 5 marketing leads)? Do they have a roadmap of what they plan to do for the next couple years?

I bought into Centra (CTR) last night at 56 cents. Even though it is evident the guys behind it do not have the best history and most likely only heard about crypto this summer and just got freelancers to design the website and build the platform for them. But I only put in $200.

They got DJ Khaled and Mayweather to endorse the coin. lol

source.gif

Cipherr

Glad I waited until this morning. Got some low satoshi level ARK on the morning dip and low satoshi STEEM too. Though, BTC is so high my buy point for ARK is 2.80 and for STEEM its 1.00. Typically their prices would be 2.60 and .96 cents at the satoshi levels I bought, but with this 6k BTC,
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
even the low prices are high.

I hope these have a mini bounce before the 25th and I get to sell off again for more profit and rebuy some alts yet again before the full alt recovery post Bitcoin gold fork.

Lol its not stopping, burst through 6k to 6085.

protonion

Ok, I'm joining the club!

I'll make a coinbase account soon.

I don't want to be the "I should have bought when it was 6000" person when it reaches 1 million.

I will deposit a sum that I do not care about and play the long term game.
How would you divide the money between bitcoin, ethereum and litecoin? I'm thinking 50-25-25.

Cipherr

Ok, I'm joining the club!

I'll make a coinbase account soon.

I don't want to be the "I should have bought when it was 6000" person when it reaches 1 million.

I will deposit a sum that I do not care about and play the long term game.
How would you divide the money between bitcoin, ethereum and litecoin? I'm thinking 50-25-25.

Perfect split IMO. And welcome.

Edit: There will probably be a pullback in late November after the S2x fork. I hope that doesnt scare you off. Lol, it'll recover and rise; but because of the timing you might be buying closer to a top than a bottom right now. But you have to start somewhere. Hopefully the BTC pullback after the fork causes LTC and ETH to rise evening out your portfolio during that time anyway.

Brohan

Glad I sold my OMG yesterday. Just keeps dropping.

Really thinking about selling my IOTA at like a 60% loss because it just keeps dropping. Was pretty unlucky with this coin as it dropped like 50% while i was on vacation.

It really baffles me though, There's a ton of good news surrounding IOTA but none of it seems to have any influence on the price.

Cipherr

Glad I sold my OMG yesterday. Just keeps dropping.

I still have 50 coins of it. Its fucking killing me man. I've made up for everything else, then this goes and drops another 30 cents per coin today. Im stuck holding it at this point. I have to believe it will recover after the splits but JESUS christ. No other alt (except maybe IOTA) has dipped this low during this month without recovering. Its ridiculous.

Brohan

I still have 50 coins of it. Its fucking killing me man. I've made up for everything else, then this goes and drops another 30 cents per coin today. Im stuck holding it at this point. I have to believe it will recover after the splits but JESUS christ. No other alt (except maybe IOTA) has dipped this low during this month without recovering. Its ridiculous.

IOTA went from a new ATH of 24k satoshi to 6.5k satoshi at the moment. It's insane.

The only reason my portfolio is still in the green is because i bought ARK at a good time.

I'm down so much on IOTA that it's really making it hard for me to decide what to do with it.

Do I just sell and deal with the huge losses or do I keep waiting in the hope that it has bottomed out or that perhaps some good news will actually have an impact next time.

Partnership with Bosch anounced and nothing, not even the slightest bump. Just continues to dip instead.

Shit is killing me.

Drifters

IOTA went from a new ATH of 24k satoshi to 6.5k satoshi at the moment. It's insane.

The only reason my portfolio is still in the green is because i bought ARK at a good time.

I'm down so much on IOTA that it's really making it hard for me to decide what to do with it.

Do I just sell and deal with the huge losses or do I keep waiting in the hope that it has bottomed out or that perhaps some good news will actually have an impact next time.

Partnership with Bosch anounced and nothing, not even the slightest bump. Just continues to dip instead.

Shit is killing me.

You sound like a fellow BAT owner.... ;)

Brohan

You sound like a fellow BAT owner.... ;)

I was actually planning to buy some BAT a while ago, glad i didnt though. :p

Thing is id be fine with dumping the coin and dealing with the losses. But what i absolutely would not be able to deal with is a scenario where IOTA suddenly starts mooning shortly after i decided to cut my losses.

This fear is really the only reason that i'm still holding.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Just my two cents, but if you guys are expecting positive returns after a few weeks/months, you're going to be continually disappointed in 99% of coins. Keep in mind that we are so early, none of these coins are in use yet. They all have far to go with their development

hwateber

I don't know, sia holders probably feel extra pain. The low today was 59 satoshis. Ridiculous for a coin with an actual working product

Really thinking about selling my IOTA at like a 60% loss because it just keeps dropping. Was pretty unlucky with this coin as it dropped like 50% while i was on vacation.

It really baffles me though, There's a ton of good news surrounding IOTA but none of it seems to have any influence on the price.

I would wait until the end of the month and see. I have no idea where the floor is for OMG. I honestly think it can't be much lower than it is now. I got super lucky selling last night. Jesus it is 50 cents lower.

Also glad I didn't fall into the Stellar Lumens hype a few days ago. That has dropped like a rock. A lot of bag holders out there (I was an LTC bag holder for years - it made me a lot of money in the end. Just hold I guess?)

Drifters

I was actually planning to buy some BAT a while ago, glad i didnt though. :p

Thing is id be fine with dumping the coin and dealing with the losses. But what i absolutely would not be able to deal with is a scenario where IOTA suddenly starts mooning shortly after i decided to cut my losses.

This fear is really the only reason that i'm still holding.

Just my two cents, but if you guys are expecting positive returns after a few weeks/months, you're going to be continually disappointed in 99% of coins. Keep in mind that we are so early, none of these coins are in use yet. They all have far to go with their development

I don't know, sia holders probably feel extra pain. The low today was 59 satoshis. Ridiculous for a coin with an actual working product

My personal opinion have less than $1k into Crypto right now is that there are only 3 categories: The Big 3, Utility Coins and Risky as shit coins. BTC, ETH and LTC are fairly safe bets to increase your portfolio. Utility coins (such as ARK, NEO, ANT, etc.) don't have terribly wild swings so if you want to dip your toe in the alt coin world, those coins (along with others) are again, fairly stable due to the technology actually in motion by said companies/teams. The last, are your ICO's, conference coins, things people on reddit say (sounds like a jeopardy category), twiter/social media, moon coins etc. generally stay away from again, unless you are 100% ok with losing all of the money you invest. You can get lucky and make $5-100 bucks here and there but honestly, unless you end up HODL for the long haul (which is 24-48 months in this climate), don't risk your money.

Cipherr

This looks like the final gather before the forks. Alts bleeding pretty bad now that BTC is settled above 6k. Wish I had waited until this evening to come out of tether and buy, but I did alright. Plus I have some more fiat clearing tomorrow. I'll wait until Monday evening to buy with that. Make sure Im buying alts at the bottom.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
My God Vertcoin....so beautiful 😪

Tell me about it.... Could have made 1k + today was going to buy at 1.83 kicking myself now...

Edit: Damn.. Still climbing lol..

Notice the V pattern with Vert.

Will buy tomorrow if it dips like it has been doing. Expecting a repeat pattern.

ah_hia

Why didn't I get some vertcoin when it was in the 0.50s :p
I heard about the potential rising after lightning implementation but damn. Who would've thought it would rise to 1.78 already

ah_hia

I think XBL could hit at least $2 sometime next year
I am tempted to buy some but no cash to infuse lol.
link has been a disappointment after sibos and I don't know whether to just stay with LTC and neo instead.
Hopefully after fork things will be improve but the btc fork in November is going to bring down all alt prices again.the crypto market sure is stressful for all holders.

DonMigs85

This insanely strong bitcoin is killing my portfolio XD. Four more days... Hope alts het a little boost then before 2x madness starts.

I guess it's 99% likely that the alts will suffer again come November eh? Good time to practice buy low, sell high

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Even ETH got sliced

and yeah, november will be an absolute bloodbath

best thing to do if you do not have any fiat for buying lows - turn off exchanges and wallets :)

Brohan

I guess it's 99% likely that the alts will suffer again come November eh? Good time to practice buy low, sell high

Yeah it guess just holding isn't gonna work when the market is like this with all these forks.. But the question i would like an answer to is: how much will BTC drop after the 25th if it drops at all and how much higher can it go due to 2x?

I think XBL could hit at least $2 sometime next year

XBL is a good shout, they have the raffle and burner available to test, have just put out a test GUI for it. Once they are complete the new website will go up and the Coinexchange listing will go live.

It's so cheap right now too so some big easy gains to be had there very soon.

Bonus Xtrabytes gif as I know how much GAF loves it's gifs

jDNOvWM.gif

vehn

I just ran the numbers, for those who got in at 100 sats about $1,200 for 2 Million coins, you’re sitting at almost $5.17 Million in profit. That’s the kind of cheddar people want.

You’d also have around 3x as much when it hit its initial high.... three years ago

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Tell me about it.... Could have made 1k + today was going to buy at 1.83 kicking myself now...

Edit: Damn.. Still climbing lol..

Notice the V pattern with Vert.

Will buy tomorrow if it dips like it has been doing. Expecting a repeat pattern.

At this point I'd actually hold off on getting into vertcoin. Bull runs like these always precede a pull back. I just made a post a couple days ago about being +$350 and now I'm +$820 already. It's awesome but also a warning sign.

I just ran the numbers, for those who got in at 100 sats about $1,200 for 2 Million coins, you’re sitting at almost $5.17 Million in profit. That’s the kind of cheddar people want.

Damn that would've been the bees knees. Right now, though, it seems like it's the perfect buy time for Ark at $2.50.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Yeah def not getting on, expected another pullback.. Regret not getting in yesterday.. Oh well, they'll be other opportunities with other stuff. All good

Drifters

Apparently EvilLore (who runs this site) has been accused of sexual harassment and several mods have left the site. Sounds like the site is going to implode and/or go away at any second. (Bittrex anyone?) . Anyways, I would suggest PM'ing people our contact info asap if we want to keep in touch.

Cipherr

Been looking over the altcoin drops in general since the 1st of October when it started and bitcoin started surging as people bled out their alts weeks in advance to get into BTC for the fork:

9/30/2017

ARK: .00074198 satoshi: $3.09
STEEM: .00038020 satoshi: $1.58
TenX: .00061870 satoshi: $2.58
LISK: .00146205 satoshi: $6.09
OMG: .00235319 satoshi: $9.80
IOTA: .00014557 satoshi: $0.61

Today:

ARK: .00042099 satoshi: $2.55
STEEM: .00015610 satoshi: $0.95
TenX: .00028673 satoshi: $1.75
LISK: .00077199 satoshi: $4.71
OMG: .00119000 satoshi: $7.23
IOTA: .00006160 satoshi: $0.37

I look at that and I don't expect post fork recovery to get all of those (let alone the countless other alts) back to where they were before the bigass dip on the first. Im seriously wondering how much of a recovery the alts will really have in the end, especially with the recovery being cut short by a second fuckign fork just a couple weeks later. This might seriously push alts so far down that they end up fighting to rise above previous supports they had already surpassed.

We will see I guess.

gaming_noob

Apparently EvilLore (who runs this site) has been accused of sexual harassment and several mods have left the site. Sounds like the site is going to implode and/or go away at any second. (Bittrex anyone?) . Anyways, I would suggest PM'ing people our contact info asap if we want to keep in touch.

What other forums can get go to? I need my game fix. Reddit sux.

This might seriously push alts so far down that they end up fighting to rise above previous supports they had already surpassed.

We will see I guess.

I think you're right about that. What this will do is filter the alts people believe will have something to show for in the future. Right now we have around 1000 different coins...it's too much.

Maybe people will stop investing blindly in shitcoins. I just hope I picked the right horse.

Maybe a crypto GAF Discord? Would anyone be interested?

Top Bottom