• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

kharma45

Yeah, I'm pretty sick of it. I feel like with all this over saturation, the actual details of the event are becoming less and less important and it's more about it being a symbol for Ireland or whatever. Which is fine I guess, it just feels like people romanticise it an awful lot.

It makes sense people put such stock in it, It was a huge event, but it more importantly was the biggest event that people can latch onto in getting Ireland its independence and putting us where we are now, and every country needs that landmark in history they use to celebrate where they are now, like for the U.S it's independence day. It's even sort of like how the North has The Apprentice Boys of Derry to celebrate a fairly random historical event, it's more just to celebrate the fact that we have a history and heritage then it is to actually celebrate the history itself. And this bothers me a little bit with 1916, probably because I study history and I'm sick of hearing people talk about it like it's only a Liam Neeson film.

Sorry for going on a tangent, there's nothing worse the that lad that won't stop going on about old Irish cultural shite. I mean this 1916 stuff is also just something the tourism board can milk for everything they've got.

On another note, it's great to have a proper Irishgaf thread. I thought it was crazy gaf didn't have one before! We're no longer confined to Britgaf now!

I wouldn't call the Siege of Derry a random historical event. Set in the context of the glorious revolution it and the battle of the boyne do have significance on the outcome of power within Europe.

Lucreto

I am just ignoring all the 1916 stuff. I bought a Tshirt and a hat with 1916 on it but that is as far as I will go. It's good practice when the football championship and the Olympics are on.

Apprentice Boys of Derry is about celebrating the victory of Protestant over Catholic, not just a random event, it was used to remind the native Catholic Irish of who their "superiors" where.

And the spark that led to the War of Independence (partial independence) is extremely important and one of the cornerstones of Irish history.

1916 is pivotal, the fact it is tied to Irish Republicans is what makes many in the South uneasy. The creation of the state and it's independence is built on the backs of Irish Republicans, and this does not sit easy with many in the establishment, who have spent decades attacking and demonising the Republican movement.

As part of the community in the North that suffered due to being Irish and being of a Catholic background, events like these are important as it cost many their lives to be Irish and it is a privilege to be able to celebrate a pivotal point in our history.

Catvoca

Banned
I wouldn't call the Siege of Derry a random historical event. Set in the context of the glorious revolution it and the battle of the boyne do have significance on the outcome of power within Europe.

Yeah, you're right, I totally underplayed it's importance. Not to make a big point of it but what I meant to say was that the North used that event,to be like "look, we have our own culture and heritage that got us here and make us a unique state and we'll celebrate that". I don't believe people truly cared much about the siege of Derry so much as they wanted an historical event to use as a jumping off point to celebrate what makes NI great. Which, in my opinion, is what Ireland does with 1916.

I did not mean to undermine the importance of either event, apologies if I did so.

Yeah, you're right, I totally underplayed it's importance. Not to make a big point of it but what I meant to say was that the North used that event,to be like "look, we have our own culture and heritage that got us here and make us a unique state and we'll celebrate that". I don't believe people truly cared much about the siege of Derry so much as they wanted an historical event to use as a jumping off point to celebrate what makes NI great. Which, in my opinion, is what Ireland does with 1916.

I did not mean to undermine the importance of either event, apologies if I did so.

The Apprentice Boys Parade is only significant and worth celebrating to a section of the community, the North is as much a part of the history of the island as the South.

Where are you from exactly?

Catvoca

Banned
The Apprentice Boys Parade is only significant and worth celebrating to a section of the community, the North is as much a part of the history of the island as the South.

Where are you from exactly?

Yeah, I was generalizing a bit when I said North. I'm from Wicklow mate.

Yeah, I was generalizing a bit when I said North. I'm from Wicklow mate.

It's only great to those who wish to celebrate triumphalism over Catholics and the native Irish, during a period that led to the penal laws and the stealing of land from the native people.

Catvoca

Banned
It's only great to those who wish to celebrate triumphalism over Catholics and the native Irish, during a period that led to the penal laws and the stealing of land from the native people.

Yeah, I agree with you. I probably should have said unionists? I meant that when NI separated from the North, some people used the siege to show how NI had it's own culture, distinct from the south but still tied to Britain, and celebrate the country. I was just using using that as an off hand example, I wasn't expecting this discussion lol. Again, apologies if I've been insensitive, really didn't intend to be, I was mostly just posting some rambley thoughts I had about how 1916's been celebrated this year.

Finally an Irish thread. Hon the wesht
Crazy it's taken this long!

Yeah, I agree with you. I probably should have said unionists? I meant that when NI separated from the North, some people used the siege to show how NI had it's own culture, distinct from the south but still tied to Britain, and celebrate the country. I was just using using that as an off hand example, I wasn't expecting this discussion lol. Again, apologies if I've been insensitive, really didn't intend to be, I was mostly just posting some rambley thoughts I had about how 1916's been celebrated this year.

Crazy it's taken this long!

Not a problem and apologies, history is mixed with the present in the North for both communities to this day (nowhere near where it used to be of course) and causes some sensitivity.

It is crazy it has taken this long, we are a fair number on GAF.

Catvoca

Banned
Not a problem and apologies, history is mixed with the present in the North for both communities to this day (nowhere near where it used to be of course) and causes some sensitivity.

It is crazy it has taken this long, we are a fair number on GAF.

Yeah, to be honest it's pretty easy to forget some of the tensions that still exist from down here in the south, especially as a young person who missed most of the troubles. Sometimes I don't realise that there's still a whole lot of hurt and sensitivity surrounding NI and the south.

Liamario

Banned
Born and raised in Westmeath. I love this country. When it's warm and sunny, there's no place I'd rather be. There really is a sense of community amongst the Irish that you don't see anywhere else (in my limited experience). Everyone generally looks out for everyone like it's one giant village.

Clegg

Swear to God the sun only came out an hour ago for the first time in weeks and the sun dresses and sandals are already out.

We're a gas country altogether.

Heartfyre

Best place in Ireland when the sun is out is UCD.

Has to be seen to be believed.

Maynooth University's South Campus wants some words with you.

It seems every time I have an interview in Dublin, the sun comes out. Every time meaning twice, of course. Even the quays look pleasant in the sunshine.

chadskin

Hello IrishGAF,

I like your music a lot (Glen Hansard, Damien Rice, Lisa Hannigan - just to name a few) and you have the most awesome football fans in the world. Guiness is okay.

I'll come visit you one day.

Love,
DeutschGAF (of whom I'm not the ambassador but still)

Finally sent off the paperwork for my son to get his Irish citizenship on Monday. Very excited! Debating whether to get him a passport straight away or wait until he is a little older.

My family is all from County Cork but I've never been to meet them. Once in high school they had a family trip there, but I skipped it to have parties at home. It was fun at the time but of course now I wish I had gone.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Clare man myself, mum was born in Laois and my old fella is from Galway. Moved to England when I was around 6 due to work related shite, one day i'll return home! Hope you guys are all well!

What part of Clare?

Yeah, I'm pretty sick of it. I feel like with all this over saturation, the actual details of the event are becoming less and less important and it's more about it being a symbol for Ireland or whatever. Which is fine I guess, it just feels like people romanticise it an awful lot.

It makes sense people put such stock in it, It was a huge event, but it more importantly was the biggest event that people can latch onto in getting Ireland its independence and putting us where we are now, and every country needs that landmark in history they use to celebrate where they are now, like for the U.S it's independence day. It's even sort of like how the North has The Apprentice Boys of Derry to celebrate a fairly random historical event, it's more just to celebrate the fact that we have a history and heritage then it is to actually celebrate the history itself. And this bothers me a little bit with 1916, probably because I study history and I'm sick of hearing people talk about it like it's only a Liam Neeson film.

Sorry for going on a tangent, there's nothing worse the that lad that won't stop going on about old Irish cultural shite. I mean this 1916 stuff is also just something the tourism board can milk for everything they've got.

On another note, it's great to have a proper Irishgaf thread. I thought it was crazy gaf didn't have one before! We're no longer confined to Britgaf now!

Totally agree, it's got to the point now where the numbers 1916 have no meaning anymore. Though I did enjoy the documentary the other night by Michael Portillo on RTÉ One about the British view of The Rising, felt so refreshing to see the event from a different point of view and not through the green glasses of patriotism that we are normally made see it through here.

NateDog

So was just another normal day in Tallaght today:
This ended up being worse than I thought. Just read a few stories and seen a few pictures of the scum running the circus in Tallaght and some of those going to it, people hit with baseball bats, legs being slashed, attacked in groups. Fucking hell. My GF wanted to go to it and all and I told her it's the last place I'd go to a circus too, and I'd never go to one with animals regardless. Even then I didn't expect this.

kharma45

Yeah get what you mean and totally agree, it's not the sort of thing worth commemorating year after year.

Catvoca

Banned
Where do people in Eiregaf buy their videogames? Amazon? Seems like most shops are trying to get away with charging €70-75 for a new game which is fecken mental.

DrSlek

My family is mostly Irish/German/English. I always say my name is Irish as fuck. Our family name is Irish, and my parents gave me Irish first and middle names too.

Caode

Where do people in Eiregaf buy their videogames? Amazon? Seems like most shops are trying to get away with charging €70-75 for a new game which is fecken mental.

Amazon, or The Game Collection. There isn't any retailers within a decent distance of me, maybe a 45 minute, to an hour drive, and then they're selling new games at those ridiculous prices. I could just head over the border into Derry but then you're dealing with GAME and their insane prices.

Clegg

If it's a game I'm really looking forward to then Amazon.

Does anyone else remember back to before HMV went bust the first time? Their games were usually €10-15 cheaper than GameStop. Now they've jacked the prices up to match.

Worst thing is we don't have an equivalent to Tesco in the UK who do stupidly good sales on cpgames and consoles from time to time. We're absolutely getting ripped off.

kavanf1

I'm from Galway, born and raised. Have lived in Scotland for almost 15 years, but home is always home.

A good rule of thumb to follow when it comes to "Irishness" is if Americans think it's a big deal, Irish people generally don't give a fuck about it.

Oh, except drink. Drink is a big deal.

Does anyone else remember back to before HMV went bust the first time? Their games were usually €10-15 cheaper than GameStop. Now they've jacked the prices up to match.

Worst thing is we don't have an equivalent to Tesco in the UK who do stupidly good sales on cpgames and consoles from time to time. We're absolutely getting ripped off.

That was good times. They used to do every new release for between 40-45, and I remember how annoyed we all got when a DS game was more than 35 euro. Then Game went, then HMV got bad, and symths got bad as well.

sphinx

the piano man
I am Mexican but my mother's grandmother was irish, born and raised

does that make me like ... 5% irish?

deadman69

so im looking into getting irish passport, partly cause im worried about the UK leaving the EU and losing the right to travel freely. also im entitled to citizenship so i might as well take it up.

Catvoca

Banned

Yeah, we're definitely getting ripped off. There's no cheaper alternative anymore if you want to go into a shop and buy a game, they all charge exorbitant prices so they can basically get away with it. Just means I have to shop online and generally buy less games now, so it's only hurting them really. It's fairly annoying though, I liked trading stuff in but there's no point when they're charging 15-20 euro more then online.

Top Bottom