• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Nice cover but it doesn't contain the Christmas special in line with previous releases so the 'complete' is a bit cheeky. Someone at BBC Worldwide seems to have been trying to split the Christmas special away from the series boxset for years. Looks like they've finally got their way.

I mean either they try to spin out Twice Upon a Time into it's own 'Capaldi specials' set even though there's only one special (with associated trimmings such as Steelbook edition, etc.) or they just awkwardly leave it as an orphaned standalone Christmas special release, which they have literally never done before. I'll be pretty annoyed if the latter is the case.

tomtom94

If the rumour about moving to Sunday evenings is true then I guess the BBC are giving up on Saturday drama altogether, which is a shame.

Yowzer, this might be the best cover they've ever done.

DL4HoahWsAU2ZaV.jpg

Where did you get this from?
Which sites are selling the special edition? I try to make sure I get all of them and dont want to miss out.

Edit: got it!

Amazon has the special edition and its gorgeous like the series 9 one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Complete-Blu-ray-Steelbook/dp/B076CXZDLT/ref=sr_1_4?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1507827780&sr=1-4&keywords=doctor+who

816UHi%2BvxUL._SX522_.jpg

Jesus, £64.99, good fucking God thats expensive.

That can't be right, surely? It was still unavailable for purchase last night, perhaps it's a high placeholder price for the sake of the pre-order promise.

That can't be right, surely? It was still unavailable for purchase last night, perhaps it's a high placeholder price for the sake of the pre-order promise.

I hope it isn't, thats way, way too much compared to series 9.
I mean, I'll pay it as a im a mug, but I do hope it comes down.

I'll now sit in vein hope of a soundtrack announcement.

For what it's worth, I'm seeing the following prices.

DVD: £14.99 for each of the two parts. Full series preorder £49.99.

Blu-ray: £19.99 for each of the two parts. Full series preorder £54.99.

Amazon video HD: £1.99 per episode. Full series £13.99.

Blader

After taking a short break from classic Who, I'm diving back in with Hartnell.

The Daleks
The first appearance of the Daleks, and a surprisingly good introduction at that. This is a seven-part story that, like many classic serials, feels about two or so episodes too long. There's a lot of running around in circles to pad out the episodes. Still, despite the pace, I enjoyed it for the most part. I think I liked it even more than the later Dalek Invasion of Earth; while it doesn't have that story's epic scope or a single scene as affecting as the Doctor leaving Susan, what this story does have is much stronger character building. One of my big problems with DOIE was that the human rebel drama is front and center, and that's partly because the TARDIS crew is split up for so much of that story and the Doctor himself is out of commission. Here, the gang is all together nearly the whole time, so their teamwork together as well their individual personalities shine better. Ian and Barbara are especially proactive (well mostly Ian, but I feel like there's more Barbra action here relative to DOIE). Even Susan has a good idea or idea. It's just a good showcase for how these four work together and bounce off each other.

I also like the simpler characterization of the Daleks here. They're still the murderous creatures we see plenty of times later, but their goals are much smaller and more survivalist here than in every successive appearance, which are all kill the Doctor/take over the world/destroy the universe, etc. And the hallway designs of the city on Skaro are really nicely done, especially considering this was the production crew's first time designing anything alien! All in all, a sometimes slow and sluggish story, but a good character piece and an effective intro to one of the most iconic elements of Doctor Who.

EDIT: I forgot my favorite part of this story -- Ian pretending to be a Dalek! I laughed every time he spoke.

The Edge of Destruction
Really fucking weird. Basically a two-part, no-budget bottle episode made on the fly to fill out the show's original 13-episode order. But even by that criteria, this is a really odd story. For the first 1.5 episodes, everyone is acting bizarrely over the top and crazy, constantly trying to strangle or stab each other. Why? Who knows. It's almost like an experimental theater piece, where the actors (particularly Ian's) were suddenly told to stop playing their characters and act like someone else, which they do to hysterical degrees. It improves in the second half of the last episode, when everyone starts acting like themselves again and bond (sort of) in the face of imminent death. But the whole thing never really comes together for me, and no explanation is ever even given for why everyone went nuts in the first place. Almost worth watching for Barbara's most prominent role yet, and the scene of her and the Doctor reconciling at the end. But, even with that, still not really worth watching tbh.

Marco Polo
The famous Marco Polo, the show's first-ever historical and also its first-ever missing episode. All seven episodes are gone, survived only by their audio and a collection of still shots. For that reason, I was never really planning to watch this story. I know a lot of people will listen to the audio or watch the fanmade telesnap reconstructions, but I don't think I could really do that for about three hours' worth of old-school Doctor Who. Luckily, the BBC anticipated my poor attention span by editing down the story into a single 30-minute condensed version. Obviously not the ideal way to experience a story that was originally six times as long, but for getting the gist of the plot while still getting to hear the actors, it works well enough.

When I first heard about these types of stories, I thought what's the big deal, every season of Doctor Who has episodes where the Doctor, et al. travel into the past. But watching/listening to this, you realize how every one of those episodes all involve aliens or monsters or some sci-fi angle. Marco Polo is just a straight up trip into the past, where the Doctor and co. only ever deal with other human beings. It's a pretty interesting angle, and I'm looking forward to actually seeing it in action in some of the later stories.

tomtom94

Okay, gonna stick my neck out - I can believe they'd start filming ahead of schedule / in secret, but I can't for one second believe they'd start filming without announcing the companion - especially if it's someone who's famous already.

EDIT: Or at LEAST if they're going for a "Friend from the Future" type deal - you would do that sort of thing on a closed set, not fucking location filming.

Buckley keeps turning up in things - I haven't seen him in anything except those bloody GAME adverts and Inbetweeners; he was apparently alright in Rock and Chips?

A rumoured casting decision surely doesn't need to be treat like a spoiler. I'm not sure where we're drawing the line, but when there was speculation about a companion role for Bradley Walsh I don't recall those coy concealers being used on the thread.

Ceej

Hey GIFGAF anyone have a gif of the Doctor's final punch breaking through the wall? Only one I've found so far doesn't include the break

A rumoured casting decision surely doesn't need to be treat like a spoiler. I'm not sure where we're drawing the line, but when there was speculation about a companion role for Bradley Walsh I don't recall those coy concealers being used on the thread.

Some consider anything that hasn’t been released officially by the BBC to be spoilers so I dunno. We had the same discussions prior to Jodie being announced. It honestly doesn’t matter to me and these rumors are most likely false anyways.

Some consider anything that hasn’t been released officially by the BBC to be spoilers so I dunno.

If it's gossip, I don't see why we'd call it a spoiler. And that's before we even consider whether a casting decision says anything worth concealing. I mean, if John Barrowman hinted that he was in talks with BBC Wales, some of us might think it signals the return of Jack Harkness to Doctor Who. But so what?

Caitlin Blackwood (young Amy Pond) was at the Who North America store today. I met her and got an autograph. She was super nice and fun to talk to.

Also my first time going to the store, super cool, had tons of stuff! I got a mug with a bunch of different Who monsters on it.

The Peter Capaldi spotlight panel from NYCC is finally up to watch on collider

I'll pick on something he says early on because watching 50-minute interviews is just mad.

He says he wonders how they write the part. Do they, he wonders, have a pile of generic Doctor Who scripts and then pick one up and tweak it. And he's been playing the part for three years, four if you count the 2016 Christmas special. And even he doesn't know.

It's interesting because I'd like to know the answer to that, too. I know for instance that the Ten & Martha Human Nature/Family of Blood story was adapted from a Virgin New Adventures novel featuring Seven and Bernice Summerfield, but surely that's an exception. Most Doctor Who scripts must have originated with a particular main actor and companion actors in mind, but how much access to the actors does the lowly writer have unless they're also the show runner? If they're writing for the first series of that particular Doctor, they may only have a rather sparse set of facts to work on. All the rest has to come from the writer's imagination, and any other magic has to happen during read-throughs and rehearsals.

Bluth54

I'll pick on something he says early on because watching 50-minute interviews is just mad.

He says he wonders how they write the part. Do they, he wonders, have a pile of generic Doctor Who scripts and then pick one up and tweak it. And he's been playing the part for three years, four if you count the 2016 Christmas special. And even he doesn't know.

It's interesting because I'd like to know the answer to that, too. I know for instance that the Ten & Martha Human Nature/Family of Blood story was adapted from a Virgin New Adventures novel featuring Seven and Bernice Summerfield, but surely that's an exception. Most Doctor Who scripts must have originated with a particular main actor and companion actors in mind, but how much access to the actors does the lowly writer have unless they're also the show runner? If they're writing for the first series of that particular Doctor, they may only have a rather sparse set of facts to work on. All the rest has to come from the writer's imagination, and any other magic has to happen during read-throughs and rehearsals.

I sure both RTD and Moffat give out information on the new Doctor/companion to the writers (maybe even some examples of scenes their scripts to the writers). They both also did at least some rewrites on most Doctor Who scripts so I imagine they do a decent amount of rewriting for the first season of a new Doctor or companion to get their characters right.

Is this news? Billie Piper is recording audio episodes for Big Finish as Rose Tyler. Rose is partnered with David Tennant for the first time since the Russell T Davies era. I'm not counting Billie's appearance as The Moment in Day of the Doctor because she only plays a projection of Rose's image and her personality is quite different, and in any case only the War Doctor (John Hurt) is aware of her presence in that story. The article here features a quite lengthy trailer in which the voice of her mother Jackie Tyler (Camille Coduri) is also heard.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017...r-explain-why-theyre-returning-to-doctor-who/

Is this news? Billie Piper is recording audio episodes for Big Finish as Rose Tyler. Rose is partnered with David Tennant for the first time since the Russell T Davies era. I'm not counting Billie's appearance as The Moment in Day of the Doctor because she only plays a projection of Rose's image and her personality is quite different, and in any case only the War Doctor (John Hurt) is aware of her presence in that story. The article here features a quite lengthy trailer in which the voice of her mother Jackie Tyler (Camille Coduri) is also heard.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017...r-explain-why-theyre-returning-to-doctor-who/

Been known for a while. :)
got them preordered.

M.Bluth

Nah. Need proof.

BBC usually plays it smart and announces these things before shooting.

Yeah, this.
Every time they're shooting some place public where there's even the slightest chance someone might see the cast out and about, they announce it AT LEAST a day before.

mclem

Big Finish folks: 10% off sale on the entire catalogue right now (MROCT2017), plus production is stopping on physical releases of 51-100 of the Doctor Who Classic range, so they're all on sale; £6 for CDs, £2.99 for digital (Ordinarily £14.99 CD, £12.99 digital, I think? That's the price for #101, at least).

The £2.99 might be permanent? 1-50 (digital-only, those were stopped in 2013) seem to be all £2.99 currently as well.

There seems to be another 10% off if you spend £50+, although I assume that doesn't stack with MROCT2017.

Full details here. Ends midnight Saturday.

Since it's the whole catalogue, anyone got any recommendations for BF productions outside Who?

I like their Dorian Gray series although it has to be said their non-Doctor Who catalogue has sales about as regularly as anything else so 10% isn't necessarily an amazing saving. In the grand scheme of things it won't be long before their January sale.

Top Bottom