• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Super Friends - August 18th on Netflix

LotusHD

Banned
You guys are tripping. That ending fight with Protect ya Neck was great. Like get out of here with that terrible opinion. I just wish Defenders was more hip hop.

Danny gets better service in this than his own damn series (even if he's being a dumb kid). I'm hoping the death of Matt (at least to him) actually makes him grow as a character. That ending shot with him on the rooftop was pretty great.

It was hard to believe Matt had died when you already know Daredevil S3 is a thing. But for a second, I nearly believed that was a cover up.

Sigourney Weaver is wasted in this. But it wasn't all for nothing, because we get to hear her say "baka"

Lmao that line got me

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Danny needs to start listening to music when he fights, I thought they were gonna do that in Iron Fist but didn't, and after seeing Baby Driver, I want it even more.

I've not finished yet so I'm avoiding reading posts. 6 episodes wasted on another boring business person, only this one literally does nothing interesting throughout the series? Then at the end of the day she means nothing?

Fuck, what are they doing?

It's like they saw Kingpin be a great villain but then forgot that was because he was physically intimidating as seen in the limo door scene. The dude was a master manipulator, could tear you apart and was could become unhinged at the smallest complication. Outside of Kilgrave who was a great villain due to his nefarious use of superpowers it seems like every villain in the Netflix series have just been business folks/arms dealers/ninjas who lack any of the things that made Kingpin terrifying. Even Elektra was beat clean early on and it was never established that she gained anything post-death. It also doesn't help that Daredevil's the guy with the least super powers.

Things started promising with Daredevil and I liked Jessica Jones more than most, but this is all such a shit-show for obvious reasons.

SRG01

So... I don't get the ending. How was Shao Lao underneath New York? Do the bones transport somewhere on earth every time a new Iron Fist appears? Or are they doing the whole plot line of a portal to K'un-Lun underneath New York City?

The007JiM

Just Finished. It was Ok. I know these shows have some problems but i'm not mad at all. Actually some wrong stuff were really funny.

-Stick cutted arm looks longer than before. lol
-That music in the final fight.. ughh
-I Like the idea of the five fingers of the hand, but only Madame Gao has some backstory developed in previous shows. Bakuto worked better for me when he was supposed to lead a small rebel faction of the Hand in IF.
-Also i don't know How to feel about this Bakuto. I was expecting to see commanding young ninja teenagers but instead he was chasing Wing all the time.
-Why the Hand women looks older and the man bosses looks younger if they uses the reincarnation stuff.
-Sowande and Murakami were interesting but we learned almost nothing about them. Murakami intro was badass cutting that bear but Nobu feeled more dangerous.
-Why is so important to them to go back to Kun Lun anyway? Cannot they wait 10 years when the enteance is open or they need IF to do that?
- I'm ok with Elektra and actually like how she betrays Alexandra but she looks boring. I know the comic costume can be ridiculous but that coat and that hair man... She is a very cute and beautiful actress but in this show she looked like a hobo. The best scene was when she visit Matt's home, at that moment i cared about that character.
- The mystic stuff at the end was very interesting but poorly executed. I want to know more about those bones and creatures. Are these creatures dinasours? are they also the reason of Pompeya or Chernobyl falls?
- Why Elektra was so important as the vessel? I missed something? Why she and not another person? Why not to use Nobu for example?
-The way the building falls straight into the hole was hilarious. LMAO
-I was expecting all the season the Hand attacking the police where all the friends are protected. I assume the Hand were really short of resources.
-So at the end Fogy says: "The NYPD didn't file any report, so the city can't file any charges". According to the DA, it's over" butwhy.gif Easy way to let the heroes free huh?

I hope ninjas are gone now. It's time to Fisk takes control back.

EctoPrime

A big problem with the Hand is that Gao is the only character that is believable to have been one of the original five that left K'un-L'un. Nobu perhaps aswell if he wasn't revealed as some underling. Plus with Gao her characterisation is inconsistent. She is not the type to enter battle before all of her soldiers are defeated.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Okay. Nitpick. What the fuck train are they on in episode 7? I live in New York, and while my life is pretty much stuck on the same lines...I've never seen one with those cars.

kunonabi

they didn't kill claire off.
:( :(

Her writing just gets worse and worse too. At least they did better with Karen this time.

Overall, eh.

I still don't give a damn about Elektra.
Looked really cheap at times.
Jessica and Iron Fist seemed mostly useless for long stretches.
Dialogue was pretty damn corny.
Alexandra getting dumpstered didn't work for me.
Action sequences were poor.

I like the core 4 and how they played off each other but everything surrounding them was weak.

RS4-

Anything Hand related that doesn't involve Gao is straight up IF tier garbage.

Why the fuck does the NYPD have the c4 and not Homeland or the FBI.

Fuck the Hand.

JJ too good.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
hip hop tracks are extremely unnecessary during the middle of the last episode..so random and kills off hyped fighting scenes : /

Where the fuck is Matt? K'un-Lun?

How could nuns get him before the people digging through that shit?

Japanese dude was such a huge disappointment, Nobu was so, so much better.

Pkaz01

Where the fuck is Matt? K'un-Lun?

How could nuns get him before the people digging through that shit?

Japanese dude was such a huge disappointment, Nobu was so, so much better.

His death was really stupid too, she just threw him off the elevator like he was one of the red shirt stooges

Volimar

The show isn't perfect but I really do think people are just piling on at this point.

I enjoyed it a lot. Aside from some corny lines and overruse of cuts during some of the fight scenes, I thought it was good.

Luke and Claire had great chemistry
Luke and Danny had nice back and forth
Jessica and DD worked well together.

SRG01

I enjoyed it a lot. Aside from some corny lines and overruse of cuts during some of the fight scenes, I thought it was good.

Luke and Claire had great chemistry
Luke and Danny had nice back and forth
Jessica and DD worked well together.

JJ was easily the best part about the Defenders. Everyone else just doesn't have the screen presence.

Oh my God, she really used the "We're not so different you and I" line. Facepalm.

They used that twice.

Twice.

His death was really stupid too, she just threw him off the elevator like he was one of the red shirt stooges

Don't get me started on that, I was waiting for the Wilhelm scream.

---

By the way, why did Bokuto did not get even hurt by a lot of bullets? I mean, he wasn't wearing a vest.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Here are some of my nitpicks:

- Claire and Matt never interact besides one quick dialog exchange.
- No Hand Ninjas at all, only generic thugs.
- All the Chaste is dead, does that mean Stone is dead too? After that tease in DD S1 i was hoping to see him in a more substancial role.
- The big secret behind the huge hole is just some dragon bones, i was hoping it was the place The Beast was sealed.

Panzon

Where was that Punisher cameo people were talking about? Did I completely miss it or are they just trolling?

The show was ok (certainly a lot less than what I expected) and all but it's flaws were very glaring. I'd love to list every single gripe I had with the show but I'm honestly just too tired and many posts have already listed them.

Not gonna watch again but I enjoyed it for what it was and can't wait for my next Marvel, Netflix street level fix

Volimar

Where was that Punisher cameo people were talking about?

FUCK!

Here are some of my nitpicks:

- Claire and Matt never interact besides one quick dialog exchange.
- No Hand Ninjas at all, only generic thugs.
- All the Chaste is dead, does that mean Stone is dead too? After that tease in DD S1 i was hoping to see him in a more substancial role.
- The big secret behind the huge hole is just some dragon bones, i was hoping it was the place The Beast was sealed.

Exes man...

There were ninjas that jobbed to Elektra in the dark.

I unno

Yeah, kind of a letdown. Plus you know there are still lieutenants and underlings in the Hand that will be trying to dig to those bones. Hope Gao lives somehow.

JCHandsom

Just finished it and...I liked it! I can tell this is already going to be a no-go for a lot of people, and to be honest I can't really say I'd blame them; the show expects an unreasonable amount of background knowledge to be understood by the viewer, even after spending 1.5 episodes catching everyone up and getting the pieces in place, and even then there's confusing shit like "Is K'un Lun destroyed or not?" I'd place this right in the middle of the Netflix shows, between DDS2 and LC. The show was short enough to not drag along like most of the other Marvel Netflix shows and the character interactions elevated the material.

Notable takeaways:
-Luke Cage lecturing Danny on his privilege (michaelscottthankyou.gif)
-DD>IF (like not even a contest, dude just walks over him)
-Hip Hop follows Luke like a stink cloud
-Jessica Jones can't fight anyone but mooks and basically just gets tossed around by everyone else.
-Sigourney's character is literally less interesting than every other finger of the Hand (except Bakuto. Fuck him and his daytime inspirational speaker ass.)
-DD looks like a jackass wearing his costume while everyone just wears comfy street clothes
-Bionic arm Misty incoming (but no sign of Danny/Misty anytime soon)
-Ditto Jessica/Luke
-Seriously though, Danny's the worst: gets constantly beaten up, captured, never gets dual glowy fists, and even when they do a hero pose on top of a building with him he doesn't have a costume. Worst. Iron. Fist. Ever. Which means it's great when everyone dumps on him, so good job!

Just finished.

Decidedly average. Nonsensical plot. And the grand ending is that they bury the dragon bones? What? What stops the Hand from just digging it up again? Was it some mystical seal that hid the bones, or encased them? Why not use his dumb glowing hand to reseal it perhaps?

Jessica Jones and Daredevil carry the show.

Everything Iron Fist is still terrible. The actors are bad and carry their stink into all the scenes they're in. And that's probably what drags down this entire show - how central all the Iron Fist crap is.

Sigourney was really wasted.
Gao was the only finger sufficiently developed.

JCHandsom

I found that funny, she's the weakest but always the one doing the finishing blow or something similar.

Pretty much. She did get a few good hits in the final fight. I did like her comments about how "Everyone knows kung fu but me?"

I'm surprised they didn't start a Danny/misty romance in this.

I think he only spoke once towards her, and it was something along the lines of "She's hurt, she need help!" Not exactly building any foundations with that kind of foresight.

So many things about this pissed me off.

The Hand's motivations seemed really worthless at the end of the season. "The Substance" still was unexplained.

Why the fuck did they have to blow up the building? To stop ????????? from escaping? I'm still completely baffled.

Elektra's motivations and character arc in this made no sense. Like... she remembers being herself but just doesn't give a damn? And why on earth would she still want to get past the wall?

I was really furious when Matt "died" but it looks like they're not committed to it, thank god. So much unresolved shit with his story and he is STILL the most interesting of the Defenders with the most history to draw on.

I'm not one for cliches but this really feels like a case of being so caught up in the fact that they could make the show that they didn't stop to think if they should.

Like... she remembers being herself but just doesn't give a damn?

Thing is, they could even justify that by using the same logic the Meechum father had, every time you die you lose part of your mind / soul, so she's even crazier.

But nah, they managed to forget that.

They had it right there, just had to use it.

Volimar

The Hand's motivations seemed really worthless at the end of the season. "The Substance" still was unexplained.

Why the fuck did they have to blow up the building? To stop ????????? from escaping? I'm still completely baffled.

Elektra's motivations and character arc in this made no sense. Like... she remembers being herself but just doesn't give a damn? And why on earth would she still want to get past the wall?

I was really furious when Matt "died" but it looks like they're not committed to it, thank god. So much unresolved shit with his story and he is STILL the most interesting of the Defenders with the most history to draw on.

I'm not one for cliches but this really feels like a case of being so caught up in the fact that they could make the show that they didn't stop to think if they should.

Did you not pay attention at all? The substance was ground up dragon bone that lets the Hand resurrect. Alexandra used the last of their supply to raise Elektra so they had to find more. Elektra remembers her past life, but her true self was a selfish asshole, so that's who she is.

PsychBat!

Banned
Jessica Jones > Agent Carter > Agents of Shield > the rest of the Netflix shows. lol
lol nope

Just gonna copy and paste what I said in the other thread.

So that was pretty good. No bad episodes, few great.

1. Bare bones plot (Big bads get the attention of every street level hero)
  2. Main characters held up everything and yes even Finn Jones/IF got progressively better (it's not a significant improvement, but it's noticeable)
  3. Sigourney Weaver is wasted
  4. Jessica Henwick is the worst actress here
  5. Larger than life characters interacting
  6. Good dialogue and better delivery (I missed this so much, 98% of the Iron Fist show dialogue was poop)
  7. Set up was calculated and somewhat natural, not forced and rushed
  8. While side characters did not take away too much screen time from main 4, I felt there needed to be more interaction between themselves.
I'll need to see this again (which I will soon) to talk about it more in length.

I wasn't expecting Misty to lose an arm here after they kinda teased it in Luke Cage. I hope they make her bionic arm look high tech as hell. Would've been cool if these were actually more connected to the movies as maybe they could've found a way to have Stark provide her with one.

Since Matt unsurprisingly survived, I assume Elektra did as well. I wonder how they're gonna go about that in DD S3.

JCHandsom

Basically it was immortality juice derived from dragon blood. The black stuff they used to bring Elektra back to life and the same stuff IF gets his glowy fist powers from.

To "cut the head off the snake" and permanently neutralize the leaders of the Hand to keep them from starting something somewhere else.

The Resurrection process is apparently supposed to make you more unstable/crazier the more times you use it, kinda like the Lazarus Pit in DC, as shown with Harold Meachum in IF. That's not really a justification for her change in character because it's not explained in the show, but it's what came to mind for me. Also she wants to get past the wall to get the substance (that Alexandra told her was there) so she can remain immortal.

I was really furious when Matt "died" but it looks like they're not committed to it, thank god. So much unresolved shit with his story and he is STILL the most interesting of the Defenders with the most history to draw on

True

I think there were enough good character interaction moments that made the show worth it for me. It was short enough that it didn't wear out its welcome the same way the other shows did. It's probably the one I'd be most willing to rewatch for that reason.

The substance was dragon bones.

Elektra is basically a soulless zombie, mostly.

No - I get what the substance is and does. It just doesn't make sense when you compare it with what they kept talking about the whole show. "Going home" and all that. And it doesn't match at all with Stick's story about the hand learning about Chi and then getting booted.

The Elektra thing to me is frankly just a waste of time. That whole episode of her wandering off and sleeping in Matt's bed had no impact on the outcome and didn't explain her betrayal of Alexandra. I mean sure "She's crazy" is probably accurate but it's a weak excuse for spending all that time on her exposition.

So does Danny only have one glowing fist in the comics? And can he use it for more than a minute or two? Like goddamn bruh, you're a fucking useless Iron Fist.

JCHandsom

The Elektra thing to me is frankly just a waste of time. That whole episode of her wandering off and sleeping in Matt's bed had no impact on the outcome and didn't explain her betrayal of Alexandra. I mean sure "She's crazy" is probably accurate but it's a weak excuse for spending all that time on her exposition.

The thing is, it was clear that she loved Matt at the end, and that was the reason she never killed him even when he left himself wide open to her. The moments in the bed were her remembering her past love, and that love was what led to them having their weird beat-em-up makeout session at the very end.

I mean her last words to Alexandra were "His name is Matthew," and I took that as her past love for Matt trumping Alexandra's conditioning and orders, so she decided to end the charade then and take over.

Top Bottom