• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

EVOL 100%

He's solid, but he's hardly over powered.

Wut? He's fine.

If anybody needs nerfing it's Viola. I prefer buffs over nerfs, though.

Also, please fix movement. Sidesteps should be a CH because 8wr is so powerful, but forward and backdashes? No. Remove CH on those, please.

Oh, I know. I was venting, I just hate that fucking CE of his.

Here's some matches that I had today. I'm playing as Alpha Pat in every video.

Not exactly my best matches, lots of botched 1AAAs, bAs, 8A+Bs and twisters and what not, and some plain bad playing. I won all of them but some I won on pure luck. Meh.

vs. Natsu

http://youtu.be/RYMb8ljz1yk

vs. Natsu(rematch)

http://youtu.be/woSNBKAMXU8

vs. Alpha Pat (mirror match)

http://youtu.be/zNSQbjsYUWw

vs. Viola

http://youtu.be/k2ryrddL9Dw

vs. Nightmare

http://youtu.be/6B7sVZnQy-U

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Correct me if I'm wrong. He is pressing 66 twice while backdashing to be able to jg the hits? I like the JG system, but I'm not a fan of safe movement.

Hates explained what was going on a bit later in the day. You can cancel movement into movement. You're at a -20 penalty while backstepping or side stepping. You can G cancel forward movement however without penalty.

This works because the CE flash gives you enough time to buffer in a forward dash cancel so that you can guard cancel the forward dash. So the video itself only really demonstrates how to avoid getting hit by a YOLO CE.

It's somewhat impractical as a safe step method since by canceling the backdash into forward you null the whole point of trying to backdash in the first place. You get to block, but you also get an ass backdash.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Hi CaliburGAF. I've been noodling with SCV lately and I think it is an interesting game, I would like to learn it. I'm coming from a very deep understanding of Virtua Fighter, so I am hoping to hit the ground running with SCV and make the transition without much frustration. I've just ordered the guide from Future Press after watching Aris' video about the book. Obviously, there have been some changes to the game since that book's publishing - are there patch notes available? Anything seriously huge that I should just footnote into the text?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
8wayrun.com's wiki has more accurate frame data. The overall character strategies still apply. Some combos have changed etc too.

oneida

8wayrun.com's wiki has more accurate frame data. The overall character strategies still apply. Some combos have changed etc too.

If possible I'd prefer having the hard copy in front of me so that I don't have to switch between my PC and my 360 since they're tied to the same monitor. Has frame data changed across the board, or is it something I can easily amend?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
If possible I'd prefer having the hard copy in front of me so that I don't have to switch between my PC and my 360 since they're tied to the same monitor. Has frame data changed across the board, or is it something I can easily amend?

The frame data's kinda complex. First, the guide's frame data wasn't 100% correct at the time of publication. Some are wrong, some are the result of typos etc. Namco changed some stuff in the patches to compound that issue. The guide's good for a general sense of how the moves will work, what beats what in general etc it's just not super precise.

If you have an android device, you can download a Soulcalibur V app off the Play store for free that is basically just the 8wr Wiki in app form. I've found that to be highly useful.

oneida

The frame data's kinda complex. First, the guide's frame data wasn't 100% correct at the time of publication. Some are wrong, some are the result of typos etc. Namco changed some stuff in the patches to compound that issue. The guide's good for a general sense of how the moves will work, what beats what in general etc it's just not super precise.

If you have an android device, you can download a Soulcalibur V app off the Play store for free that is basically just the 8wr Wiki in app form. I've found that to be highly useful.

Will do, thanks. Hopefully the guide has a good walkthrough of the system mechanics because I have only ever played SC very casually.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Big things to keep in mind coming from VF.

Throws come out at a certain speed for the most part. (i17 I think?) They beat *anything* slower. Throws also kill JG and GI attempts as well as step.

In general, staying down in a wake up situation is safest. (A lot of stuff whiffs. Teching is usually only a good idea if you know which way to tech to avoid damage. You end up at disadvantage to the point you're unable to guard if you guess wrong.) Second best option is to rise guarding.

You have no canned wakeup attack. You just have while rising attacks or you can cancel the wr state with a 4,8, or 6 directional press.

Twitch ducking is not a form of fuzzy guard. If they mid, you will eat it in full.

oneida

Big things to keep in mind coming from VF.

Throws come out at a certain speed for the most part. (i17 I think?) They beat *anything* slower. Throws also kill JG and GI attempts as well as step.

In general, staying down in a wake up situation is safest. (A lot of stuff whiffs. Teching is usually only a good idea if you know which way to tech to avoid damage. You end up at disadvantage to the point you're unable to guard if you guess wrong.) Second best option is to rise guarding.

You have no canned wakeup attack. You just have while rising attacks or you can cancel the wr state with a 4,8, or 6 directional press.

Twitch ducking is not a form of fuzzy guard. If they mid, you will eat it in full.
This is helpful, thanks. Trying to wrap my brain around what the throw game must be like if you can actually throw people out of start-up; -7 or so is forced nitaku in VF, what about SCV?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
This is helpful, thanks. Trying to wrap my brain around what the throw game must be like if you can actually throw people out of start-up; -7 or so is forced nitaku in VF, what about SCV?
Fastest basic attacks tend to be A's which range from -10 to i13 or so. B's are also good, but they are usually a bit slower.

So -7 is safe. (Excepting aPat's CE which is stupid fast.)

You can tap g right after a move in the -6-10 range to get an option select just guard going if you expect immediate retaliation.

It tends to come down to either try to press with an attack or throw since throw will kill JG sidestep step or guard. Possibly attempt positioning etc.

Just received this game last evening, the last SC game I played was 4.

A question: in 4 I could push forward or backward and block and if timed right I could stagger the other player back or knock them to the side. I've tried doing it in this game but it seems to be removed.....am I doing it wrong? Has it been removed or is there something new and similar?

Do you have meter? If you mean guard impact you need meter. Also it changed to direction+ABK instead of G.

I'm not sure, the Kilik clone seems to be able to do some little green shiny move that repels some hits like the old system, not sure if it's related to having energy stored up.

I'm also a little disappointed that there is no seung Mina or clone :( is the Kilik clone the only alternative?

Roto13

I'm not sure, the Kilik clone seems to be able to do some little green shiny move that repels some hits like the old system, not sure if it's related to having energy stored up.

I'm also a little disappointed that there is no seung Mina or clone :( is the Kilik clone the only alternative?

Some characters have guard impact moves but they're done done the old fashioned way. Those moves don't cost meter.

Erigu

I don't know why Namco would go the effort. Unless SC:LS or something needed those changes official.
I imagine it's probably that...
And as far as efforts go, this one isn't particularly impressive.(removed profiles, new inconsistencies). Then again, they've routinely failed to properly translate all those profiles over the years, so that's nothing new, I guess...

Roto13

Anyone happen to look at SCV's official site close to the game's release?

http://soulcalibur.com/en_US.html#/characters/soulcalibur5/all

A poster on GameFAQs mentioned that multiple profiles for characters got rewritten/revised recently which is a bit.... Odd? I don't know why Namco would go the effort. Unless SC:LS or something needed those changes official.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/630214-soulcalibur-v/68294887

"Oh, bee tee dubs, Xiba is Kilik and Xianghua's illegitimate child now, just pretend it was always like that, ok?"

"Oh, bee tee dubs, Xiba is Kilik and Xianghua's illegitimate child now, just pretend it was always like that, ok?"

I know that profile of Xiba's is actually as old as the game, but I just can't remember where it was from.

Is it too much too hope that the fact that they're doing this actually means something?

Yeah, there's always been two profiles. The one in the game's SE artbook/game's site, and another one with more details in I think it was the facebook page like Xiba's family stuff and Alpha Pat's style being because he was taught by Setsuka.

Erigu

Yeah, there's always been two profiles. The one in the game's SE artbook/game's site, and another one with more details in I think it was the facebook page like Xiba's family stuff and Alpha Pat's style being because he was taught by Setsuka.
There's a lot more stuff than that even, but as usual, they never bothered to translate it.

Erigu

You're talking about all that stuff in the actual art book right?
Yup.
Guess there would be the novels, too. I don't know that I'd necessarily consider them entirely canonical, but I imagine some of that stuff did come from the game's staff.

I would've love to have all of that translated.
I won't translate the entire thing, but if you have specific questions, maybe I can help?

I've not owned or played a soul calibur game since SC2 on the OG Xbox

Which is the better SC game to get on PS3? SC4 or 5? Which has the better SP story modes

AAK

Maybe revealed after Namco's fighting game division finishes its other products (Smash4/TR/SCLS/Pokken/T7/TxSF/etc.)

I just got Soul Calibur V recently and I'm really liking the game so far. Two characters caught my attention: Aeon and Natsu. I know Aeon's low-tier but I like him so far. Any advice on how to play these two? My only Soul Calibur before this was Soul Calibur Broken Destiny on the PSP, and it's been a while.

Top Bottom