• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor 3: Ragnarok Review Thread

?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Slayven

f there’s a weak link in the line-up it’s Blanchett’s Hela. While undeniably striking as Alice Cooper’s stroppy sister, she’s one-note and outshone by Ragnarok’s other major new character, Tessa Thompson’s surly Valkyrie, at every turn. Hela’s scenes, while essential to the plot, feel an unwelcome distraction, leaving us, like Mjolnir, aching for a return to the Thunder God’s side.
Not even mad

NotLiquid

The showpiece scrums here are as stylish as any in the Marvel canon, and come turbo-charged by Mark Mothersbaugh’s score of Megadrive-ish crunches and bleeps

👀

I need to hear this movie's soundtrack

Chopper

I'm disappointed that that one review states that any MCU cameos are narratively inconsequential. I was hoping there would be a sizable Guardians tie-in.

Otherwise, sounds great. Can't wait.

Slayven

Can we get Got Butcher/God Bomb Thor next?
No, we have to do it in stages
8.thorcostume-5.jpg

Still on the fence on this movie, though I may be dragged to see it since the family loves Hulk. Which I admit is my fav too. I guess the only concerning thing is that, it seems it's too funny? Like it interferes with the more emotional scenes?

I'm disappointed that that one review states that any MCU cameos are narratively inconsequential. I was hoping there would be a sizable Guardians tie-in.

Otherwise, sounds great. Can't wait.

That was never gonna be a thing. They would've marketed it as such.

This doesn't mean we don't see a cool meetup during the credits, though.

No I think he means "silly" as if we didn't realize that a story about a Norse god flying around the cosmos is kinda preposterous. Like, we KNOW. We paid $12 to see Dark World levels of know.

He’s saying the writing now seems more “in on the joke” or less self-serious than the previous entries. In other words he’s saying the film is embracing how preposterous it is and having fun with it

I can’t comment on whether that’s the case, but it doesn’t seem to be an unreasonable claim.

Yup, this sounds amazing. Will easily be the best of the Thor movies. Glad to see so much of the style and humor once again is getting praised, it sounds GOTG lite sure, but that's not a bad thing. Also now I'm a bit more interested in listening to the soundtrack.

��

I need to hear this movie's soundtrack

Honestly critics are a terrible parameter when it comes to what makes a great score anyway, since any music they actually notice is automatically "great", even when personally I don't think it is.

Certinty

Marvel Studios on their way to their last 6 movies all having a RT score of 80+.

Quite possibly 4 of their last 5 being 90+. Insane.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
He’s saying the writing now seems more “in on the joke” or less self-serious than the previous entries. In other words he’s saying the film is embracing how preposterous it is and having fun with it

I can’t comment on whether that’s the case, but it doesn’t seem to be an unreasonable claim.

He's definitely saying that, but I think the folks on Dark World 2 knew it too, but didn't have the wherewithal to write around that, and Kenneth Branagh is on the record knowing that.

Not even mad

No lies detected.

Marvel Studios on their way to their last 6 movies all having a RT score of 80+.

Quite possibly 4 of their last 5 being 90+. Insane.

See, the Marvel movies are the epitome of the popcorn flick.

Good fun, charismatic actors, lush visuals, and not bound by too many laws of realism that seem to make films like Snakes on a Plane fall flat.

I'm not surprised they review well, hell even Suicide Squad did well enough because people like the characters.

Ecotic

I feel like reviewers have been put on a spell when it comes to the Marvel movies. Homecoming was such a vacuous, middling movie and reviewers fawned all over it. Iron Man 2 would be hailed today for its fun, comedic take.

balohna

No I think he means "silly" as if we didn't realize that a story about a Norse god flying around the cosmos is kinda preposterous. Like, we KNOW. We paid $12 to see Dark World levels of know.
I think the writer meant that the screenwriters are finally fully embracing that. Moviegoers weren't even mentioned, unless you wrote a Thor movie?

mjc

I feel like reviewers have been put on a spell when it comes to the Marvel movies. Homecoming was such a vacuous, middling movie and reviewers fawned all over it. Iron Man 2 would be hailed today for its fun, comedic take.

People like to have fun at the movies, and that's what Marvel still delivers. Reviewers don't give them complete free passes, either.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!

Or maybe they actually enjoy them.

It's okay to not like something. It doesn't mean that people who do like it are brainwashed.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think the writer meant that the screenwriters are finally fully embracing that. Moviegoers weren't even mentioned, unless you wrote a Thor movie?

He's definitely saying that, but I think the folks on Dark World 2 knew it too, but didn't have the wherewithal to write around that, and Kenneth Branagh is on the record knowing that

L00P

One of the reviews mentioned that it's around 2 hours long. I guess the reports from a while back that this will have a run time of only over an hour were all hogwash? Not that I'm complaining

Top Bottom