• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

Oppo

I actually still think the best name is PSP Dual.

Dual = duel, competitive multiplayer, dual analog... its the 2nd PSP... works.

Oppo

Hazelhurst said:
That might be too familiar to the Nintendo DS (Dual Screen).

Maybe, but I suspect a lot of people (maybe the majority) don't actually know that DS stands for Dual Screen. They just say "a dee-ess". It sounds different than Dual. Point taken though.

Slime

Banned
glaringradio said:
I'm expecting them to call it the P2P, or something equally as stupid (like PS Vita... smh)

PiracyStation?

Yeah, that'd definitely instill confidence in those disgruntled third-party publishers!

Vita is one of the codenames that was used internally to discuss it. Its also what Sony and 3rd parties would use to talk to each other about it. Well, that was before NGP was announced. Now they just say NGP probably.

Just like how Move was codenamed 'Gem' and Kinect had a public 'Project Natal' moniker.

It'll likely be PSP2. Adding a 2 onto it implies improvement.

3DS on the other hand makes the 3DS sound like an incremental upgrade to the DS.

DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 3DS

For the casuals/mums/dads etc, they don't actually know its had a big increase in horsepower and does a lot more stuff.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
legacyzero said:
why not just call it..........PSP2.
Because the PSP name is tarnished in the west, and Sony might want to rebrand for a fresh start this time around.

JWong

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
Vita is one of the codenames that was used internally to discuss it. Its also what Sony and 3rd parties would use to talk to each other about it. Well, that was before NGP was announced. Now they just say NGP probably.
Quoting for emphasis.

Grisby

Elixist said:
Tell me of this imgur, is this an easy way to find postable images off of Google?

Nah, its just a pic hosting site. Well, you can see other peoples images on there. I wouldn't say its easier then google.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
onQ123 said:
no it's not
Yes it is. After PSP Go and software sales falling off a cliff years ago, it doesn't make sense to sell this as the successor to that platform.

The PSP name might not be tarnished on sites like this with a lot of dedicated JRPG fans, but to the general game buying public, of course it is.

Apath

Krev said:
Yes it is. After PSP Go and software sales falling off a cliff years ago, it doesn't make sense to sell this as the successor to that platform.

The PSP name might not be tarnished on sites like this with a lot of dedicated JRPG fans, but to the general game buying public, of course it is.
Believe it or not the PSP was actually a successful system. It only falls flat on its face when you compare it to the monstrously successful Nintendo DS, but then again, which systems don't?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Kenak said:
Believe it or not the PSP was actually a successful system. It only falls flat on its face when you compare it to the monstrously successful Nintendo DS, but then again, which systems don't?
I realize it was, but in recent years a huge portion of that success has come from Japan. It died in America a long time ago.

Kafel

Banned
onQ123 said:
no it's not

043a504d9b-marcus-psp37607.jpg

onQ123

Krev said:
Okay, you've got me convinced. The system is thriving in the US and it's name is bulletproof. Gotcha.

no but it's not dead & it sold about 100K last month how is that dead? it's sales wasn't that far behind a new handheld from Nintendo last month so how is it dead?

Well, it's better than NGP. Makes me think of a sparkling water beverage. Crisp, cool, and refreshing. And expensive.

That said, I'm not digging the names of most consoles released these days. What, with the complete random insanity of Wii and the lack of creativity in the PS3 and 360. 3DS is pretty clever though.

Zutroy

I know they wouldn't do this because it would be a marketing headache, but I think it would be really good if they just called it the 'PlayStation'.

rdrr gnr

The name isn't really going to matter if Sony pulls their usual advertising nonsense. You could name it the PlayStation Babykiller and it would sell if it was advertised enough.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
onQ123 said:
no but it's not dead & it sold about 100K last month how is that dead? it's sales wasn't that far behind a new handheld from Nintendo last month so how is it dead?
It sold about 45% of the 3DS in April, and that was an exceptional month for it, since it was coming off a price-drop.
I stand by what I said. PSP is pretty dead in America and has been for some time.

sajj316

Krev said:
It sold about 45% of the 3DS in April, and that was an exceptional month for it, since it was coming off a price-drop.
I stand by what I said. PSP is pretty dead in America and has been for some time.
It's still alive for me damnit!

At this point, might as well stick with NGP. All the cool kids took the cool names.

Massa

Krev said:

100k is not dead. 50k is not dead.

5 units is dead. That's what the Xbox and Gamecube show up every month on NPD's, and they're dead; the PSP and PS2 are not dead.

Slime

Banned
They should just ignore their little VMU rip-off and call it the PocketStation. Sure, it might be a little big to fit in the average pocket, but you'll probably need deep ones to even afford it, so at least they'd be marketing it to the right crowd.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Massa said:
100k is not dead. 50k is not dead.

5 units is dead. That's what the Xbox and Gamecube show up every month on NPD's, and they're dead; the PSP and PS2 are not dead.
Semantics. In the NPD threads, PSP is regularly referred to as 'dead' without anyone batting an eyelid. It's an exaggeration, but it makes the point that there is no longer really a viable market for the system in America.

Krev said:
Semantics. In the NPD threads, PSP is regularly referred to as 'dead' without anyone batting an eyelid. It's an exaggeration, but it makes the point that there is no longer really a viable market for the system in America.

I think that is largely due to a lack of continual (popular) western franchises coming out for the system. If NGP gets GTA, COD, FIFA, Madden, more shooters, Batman etc. It would do a lot better. Western support dropped off for the NGP besides sports titles and Sony's own games. It also didn't cater very well to the casual gamer market like the DS did. Now the NGP has touch interfaces and PlayStation Suite, it can do that. Demo that in ads and through word of mouth and a PSP2 would sell.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Galvanise_ said:
I think that is largely due to a lack of continual (popular) western franchises coming out for the system. If NGP gets GTA, COD, FIFA, Madden, more shooters, Batman etc. It would do a lot better. Western support dropped off for the NGP besides sports titles and Sony's own games.
PSP had GTA, COD, FIFA, Madden, etc, too. Western support dropped off due to a lack of sales.
Obviously those games should play a hell of a lot better this time around, but Sony are going to have to hit hard with advertising to make sure people know this and they sell well from the get go, or else western publishers will be very quick to drop significant support.

Krev said:
PSP had GTA, COD, FIFA, Madden, etc, too. Western support dropped off due to a lack of sales.
Obviously those games should play a hell of a lot better this time around, but Sony are going to have to hit hard with advertising to make sure people know this and they sell well from the get go, or else western publishers will be very quick to drop significant support.

My point is that the NGP can tap more easily into different target markets than the PSP could. If it gets the touch games, smaller mobile games etc, sales should be consistent (ish). I think the fact that the NGP is a machine that is incredibly port/developer friendly will bode well for Western support. When John Carmack chipped in and praised the machine, Sony have achieved something very good indeed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see games (or games similar in style) like R.A.G.E, Bulletstorm, Burnout, Assassins Creed, Batman, Brain Training, Art Academy etc on the system. All achievable, wouldn't cost a bomb to do etc. The NGP would be an excellent (and cheap) way to make a lot more money off of a project than simply relying on PS3/360 and soon, Cafe.

let's be honest...we'll hate the name whatever it is. Everyone hated NGP then got used to it. Everyone will probably initially hate whatever name is selected that is not PSP2

Isn't the v sound in latin spoken like a w? Maybe it's wiita.

Yes, actually it is. Latin in this case being ancient Latin, not modern Romance languages like Italian, French, or Spanish.

But I doubt Sony would want the name of the new PSP pronounced that way. Especially since it's probably not the real name.

Top Bottom