• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |OT3| "That sounds like the GameTrailers guy!"

Servbot24

Banned
Did any Allies start from DeS or did they jump in at DaS (or even later) and then play DeS later? I think if you started with DeS then that's absolutely the game that should go in because while it may not be as good as the others, that's the game that started everything and it came out at a time where every game was moving in the opposite direction. But if you started later than that, it's a lot easier to ignore how much of a game changer DeS was.

I disagree that DeS isn't as good, I rank it with BB at the top of the Soulsborne games (DaS close behind). I also give no points for being the first, it's all about being the best. :)

For the podcast activity

Lock - Mario Odyssey (I mean duh)
Sleeper - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (I think the bad character designs plus doubting the 2017 release are causing people to ignore this)
Bust - Anthem (Riskiest choice, but I have no trust in Bioware to make a good game, and the gameplay looks like some mumbo-jumbo to me. And the setting just looks exactly like what you would imagine if I told you to "imagine a generic hyped-up AAA game")
Keeper - Horizon (Seems like a shoe-in)

I wanted to put Shadow of War as the bust, but that's one I know for a fact I won't like. For it to be a bust I think there at least has to be some intrigue to begin with.

I disagree that DeS isn't as good, I rank it with BB at the top of the Soulsborne games (DaS close behind). I also give no points for being the first, it's all about being the best. :)

Sorry, I should've said "it may not be as good as the others according to some." I still haven't played any of the Dark Souls games, so I wouldn't know how good they are. I played the Asian release of Demon's Souls before it even came out in the west, put it down and then didn't pick it back up until shortly before Bloodborne came out. Dark Souls 1 is in my backlog, so I'll get to it eventually and then move onto 2 and 3.

And I disagree that games shouldn't get points for being first. It's not the be-all-end-all (I prefer RE2 to RE1, after all) but you'd never get those refined games if you hadn't had that first innovative step beforehand.

Edit: Lock, sleeper, bust and keeper was for 2018. So unless you think Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 are going to be delayed and Anthem will actually make it out next year, you might want to take another look at your picks.

Servbot24

Banned
Edit: Lock, sleeper, bust and keeper was for 2018. So unless you think Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 are going to be delayed and Anthem will actually make it out next year, you might want to take another look at your picks.

Ah, whoops. In that case I'd say Lock for Dragon Ball FighterZ, and Sleeper for Pikmin 4 (yep I predict it will be announced and released same year and be great!)

Servbot24

Banned
Demon's Souls is fantastic. Never played any of the successors though, lol.

The time will come.

Dark Souls is practically as good. I remember having a slight "this isn't quite as good" feeling as I was playing it the week it came out, but it's really a small margin of difference. And it's easy to see why it would be the favorite for many with the connected areas.

Bloodborne is another animal altogether. I'm not sure what my all time top 10 games are but I think BB has a shot. What a game.

I'd play those two and save DS2 and DS3 for if you feel like it. They are both GREAT games, but they're also basically just more Souls.

MrMette

I was somewhat surprised by the score as well. That said, it's not a bad score, just that I expected it a little bit higher (because it is Yakuza and because the review text).
I did like the review, it was well written, it's just on the lower scale of scores around the internet.

I can't wait to play it. My copy will probably be sent tomorrow (they send me an email they were preparing the package today).
Unfortunately I still have to finish Yakuza 0 (just finished chapter 9 today, although I am almost 100 hours in at the moment). I will probably play something in between 0 and Kiwami however as I am somewhat afraid of starting an other Yakuza game right after 0. I think it's best that I play something else first as a palate cleanser.

Liking a game is a betrayal? Weird.
I am sure it was meant as a joke. It must suck to see people complain about a review on which you worked so hard on, but I don't think this was meant as an attack.
Like I said before, I was surprised by the score as well, but I get where you are coming from. An other great review.

I was also surprised by Yakuza 0's score after the way Ben and Huber hyped it up.
Kiwami being less good than 0 is not that surprising tho.

MrMette

I was also surprised by Yakuza 0's score after the way Ben and Huber hyped it up.
Kiwami being less good than 0 is not that surprising tho.

I didn't remember Yakuza 0's score. Now I understand the score for Kiwami even better.
Should have checked that first. Again, nothing wrong with it, I was just surprised.

Btw, I didn't mean to complain about the review itself. I don't see anything wrong with it.
I also think reviews shouldn't be influenced by what people want to hear and only show what the reviewer thinks of the game. Also, the score less important in the end, it's just a number. The review text itself is and it was quite positive .

Liking a game is a betrayal? Weird.

I was joking, dude. It was a bit of a surprise, since it's one of the lowest scores it's gotten so far but I still enjoyed the review. I was just expecting 4 stars.

My copy should arrive sometime next week and while I was originally planning on leaving it in my backlog for a while, since I only recently finished 0, I think I might jump straight back into the action straight away. 0 really didn't burn me out like 5 did.

I was joking, dude. It was a bit of a surprise, since it's one of the lowest scores it's gotten so far but I still enjoyed the review. I was just expecting 4 stars.

My copy should arrive sometime next week and while I was originally planning on leaving it in my backlog for a while, since I only recently finished 0, I think I might jump straight back into the action straight away. 0 really didn't burn me out like 5 did.

Ha, I should have known. Too many YouTube comments have warped my judgement.

I was worried I'd be burned out, but I ended up having a really good time with it. If I didn't have to go through again on EX-Hard I might even go for the platinum.

Podcast was a lot of fun. I wish there was more content in the style of the podcast at EZA (with Kyle hosting/moderating preferably).

Dmax3901

Hey Ben I'm playing through Kiwami now and finding it a really strange experience because Yakuza 0 was my first ever Yakuza game.

Right now (I'm probably 2-3 hours in), it's kinda feeling like a DLC for 0, if that makes sense? "Set 10 years later play as Kiryu in the new millenium!" - that kind of vibe.

Having no frame of reference for what the remake is actually accomplishing is really bizarre, because even they look visually similar, in a lot of ways Yakuza 0 feels like a far more modern game... which it is.. but... yeah.

I dunno how the hell I'm gonna review this lol.

Ha, I should have known. Too many YouTube comments have warped my judgement.

I was worried I'd be burned out, but I ended up having a really good time with it. If I didn't have to go through again on EX-Hard I might even go for the platinum.

I mean, I did say it was a Bentrayal :p

I can completely disagree with a review but I'm still not going to go on a crazy tirade about it like review threads almost always do. In this case, I can imagine you're a bit more critical than most of a series you're a big fan of, kinda like Damiani with BotW.

And yeah, I can understand why EX-Hard might hold you back from going for the plat. That part was really easy in 3-5 because you could carry over your upgrades and unlocked weapons over to EX-Hard but since 0 (and Kiwami) makes you start from scratch, it's so much harder.

Anyway, Yakuza Kiwami 2 apparently just leaked!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Supposedly,with the yakuza 6 engine? Sooo gooood

Yeah. Expected it though cause it's par for course that they're going to leverage a ton of work done for kiwami 2 for yakuza 7 which will likely mark a new journey.
So it's smart to have your new thing start on a strong note. It might end up being a similar deal to the progression of things from Y3 to Y5. Kiwami 2 was just too smart of a project to not do it as foundation.

Also young daigo hype!

I mean, I did say it was a Bentrayal :p

I can completely disagree with a review but I'm still not going to go on a crazy tirade about it like review threads almost always do. In this case, I can imagine you're a bit more critical than most of a series you're a big fan of, kinda like Damiani with BotW.

And yeah, I can understand why EX-Hard might hold you back from going for the plat. That part was really easy in 3-5 because you could carry over your upgrades and unlocked weapons over to EX-Hard but since 0 (and Kiwami) makes you start from scratch, it's so much harder.

Have you played Kiwami?

Quonny

I love Gitaroo Man so much. I originally bought the game after The GIA called it "the pinnacle of man's evolution as a species".

Holy crap, at one point he looked like he was crying during the Legendary Theme. I have to admit I had a tear in my eye too.

Hasney

Hey Ben I'm playing through Kiwami now and finding it a really strange experience because Yakuza 0 was my first ever Yakuza game.

Right now (I'm probably 2-3 hours in), it's kinda feeling like a DLC for 0, if that makes sense? "Set 10 years later play as Kiryu in the new millenium!" - that kind of vibe.

Having no frame of reference for what the remake is actually accomplishing is really bizarre, because even they look visually similar, in a lot of ways Yakuza 0 feels like a far more modern game... which it is.. but... yeah.

I dunno how the hell I'm gonna review this lol.

Yeah, it's going to be strange for people who just jumped in. Kiwami is 0 in terms of engine with very few tweaks, but they've put the story of 1 in there. It's fantastic for efficiency, especially since the popularity of the series has grown so more people can catch up, but I can see how it would be DLC.

I

Oh shit.

2921100-thatsrad.gif

ZeoVGM

Banned
I kind of wish the podcast was filmed and released on Fridays. Maybe Patreon on Friday, YouTube on Sunday.

It just feels like they often miss out on announcements (Yakuza 2, for example) or Nintendo Directs or whatever.

Hasney

I kind of wish the podcast was filmed and released on Fridays. Maybe Patreon on Friday, YouTube on Sunday.

It just feels like they often miss out on announcements (Yakuza 2, for example) or Nintendo Directs or whatever.

They missed out on a lot on GT Time being Friday too. There is no winning, you just pick a day of the week.

MrMette

Doesn't really matter which day you release a podcast, you will miss announcements.
They will probably talk about it next week, no big deal.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Honestly I disagree with the "it doesn't matter what day" thing. I think it would allow them to cover more announcements sooner on Fridays.

Not a huge deal, just a personal want.

MrMette

Honestly I disagree with the "it doesn't matter what day" thing. I think it would allow them to cover more announcements sooner on Fridays.

Not a huge deal, just a personal want.

Yakuza 2 Kiwami is leaked as far as I know, not really announced.
It will probably be announced this Saturday (got that info from the Kiwami Review thread btw, I would not have known otherwise):
http://yakuzafan.com/rgg-studio-announce-new-titles-saturday-august-26-2017-udx-akihabara/

So they would miss that announcement (and the other announcements) if they did their podcast on Fridays.

Btw, I do understand where you are coming from, but I am not sure if the day of the week matters that much for a gaming podcast.
For a Formula 1 podcast, you would probably do it after the weekend and not on Thursdays or something, but there is new gaming news every day.

You also need to take into account that they record the podcast after the group stream. They can release it on Fridays, but the news they will be talking about will be the same as it is right now, you will just get it later.
It will probably be a lot easier to change it when they get their studio goal.

These RE streams are really freaking fantastic.

Watching Ben get shut down by Marcus Beer was kind of funny. Man, he's really grown since then.

Also, great Bloodworth quote and the true birth of EZA, "Patreon's weird because, like, can I just set up an account and say 'Give me money.' and that's it?"..."You can just put a page and say, 'Give me money if you like me.'."

MrMette

Watching Kiwami's review while I'm less than half way through 0 was a mistake :(

It was fine for me, but I do agree that there was some stuff in there that I didn't want to see playing Yakuza 0 at the moment (btw, I don't blame EZA for this, I should have known that there was a possibility of seeing stuff I maybe shouldn't have seen). That said, I also played Yakuza 4 (years ago), so I already know and recognize stuff I shouldn't know and recognize in 0 anyway (although I am somewhat hazy on what happened in Yakuza 4 after all those years).

All in all, I don't think there are big spoilers in there. I think EZA usually does a great job in keeping them to a minimum.
A lot of people played Yakuza 1 (and all the others) first (years ago) and 0 just recently, so it should be fine.

Mista Koo

It was fine for me, but I do agree that there was some stuff in there that I didn't want to see playing Yakuza 0 at the moment (btw, I don't blame EZA for this, I should have known that there was a possibility of seeing stuff I maybe shouldn't have seen). That said, I also played Yakuza 4 (years ago), so I already know and recognize stuff I shouldn't know and recognize in 0 anyway (although I am somewhat hazy on what happened in Yakuza 4 after all those years).

All in all, I don't think there are big spoilers in there. I think EZA usually does a great job in keeping them to a minimum.
A lot of people played Yakuza 1 (and all the others) first (years ago) and 0 just recently, so it should be fine.
I agree that it was on me, should've known better. But for people who played previous Yakuzas they are playing this as a prequel with characters and most likely epilogue they are familiar with. For a newcomer like me it's the first entry and the actual first entry is a sequel.

WarRock

Hahaha, I got surprised when I noticed the Gitaroo Man playthrough had one hour left when Kyle had only three musics left, but then he kept failing the next one and after finishing he kept delaying the end of the stream to play more in the master difficulty =)

That said, I wish I had half of his skill to play rhythm games. Only played the PSP version of Gitaroo Man (that is way easier from what I see, since they overcompensated for the analog nub) and the whale, skeleton trio and "beauty is a sin~" scenarios took me days to complete.

MrMette

I agree that it was on me, should've known better. But for people who played previous Yakuzas they are playing this as a prequel with characters and most likely epilogue they are familiar with. For a newcomer like me it's the first entry and the actual first entry is a sequel.

Sure, I can see that. There was a one thing somewhat "spoiled" for me as I forgot most about Yakuza 4. I am at a point in the story where I can see how it happened, but I didn't made the link myself while playing yet (only after the review).

It doesn't ruin the game for me at all, but it's something that would have been a surprise during the game otherwise. That said, I have seen Yakuza fans who have played all the games say that it still is cool to see. Instead of "what" happens it's "how" it happens for them and I am sure that's still cool to see as well.

I still would wish I didn't see it, but I am sure when I play the game this weekend I will see it happening and the more I think back to 4, the more I should have known it already.

I hope you still have a great time with Yakuza 0, it's a fantastic game.

The Zenoblade part in the Hall of Greats was jokes when Blood asked about the side quests. Ben did a good job on making a case for the game. Really enjoyed the Hall of Greats EP.

El-Suave

Watching Kiwami's review while I'm less than half way through 0 was a mistake :(

I thought the review gave away a bit too much of Yakuza 1 itself, too. Having played it back in the day I didn't mind but I thought what was said about
prison and the time jump
would have been something I would have liked to be surprised by while playing it if I was a newbie. I thought it was a pretty unique plot device back in the day.

Top Bottom