• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Soar

Hi, due to pizzas i'm apparently going to be playing this game. I do have questions about the refer-a-friend(RAF) mechanism. I am currently on a trial account, with a retail(presumably) key for the complete edition. My questions if anyone can so kindly help:

1) According to what I read on square's website I will need to register the RAF code before I upgrade my account right to get the benefits, is this correct?
2) Does RAF work for trial accounts?
3) Do I just ask for a RAF code in this thread when I wish to upgrade? Is that the standard SOP?

Thanks!

Edit: One more question, should I go PC or PS4? Is it much easier to use skills and communicate via the PC?

mcw

Edit: One more question, should I go PC or PS4? Is it much easier to use skills and communicate via the PC?

That's just a matter of preference, really. The game plays wonderfully with a controller, but you could still get the PC version and use your favorite controller there. If you get the PS4 version, you can use a Bluetooth keyboard.

Omni

Hi, due to pizzas i'm apparently going to be playing this game. I do have questions about the refer-a-friend(RAF) mechanism. I am currently on a trial account, with a retail(presumably) key for the complete edition. My questions if anyone can so kindly help:

1) According to what I read on square's website I will need to register the RAF code before I upgrade my account right to get the benefits, is this correct?
3) Do I just ask for a RAF code in this thread when I wish to upgrade? Is that the standard SOP?

Thanks!
Haha, the pizza thing xD

Okay so yeah. I'm not sure if it works for trial accounts, but as long as you enter it before your first subscription, you should be okay. So you should be able to upgrade to the complete edition and then use the code. Feel free to use this one if you wish: WZ3UCUQX

aaaand as for platform. SE has done a good job with both PS4 and PC, honestly. Choose whatever you're most comfortable on. Just remember you can plug a keyboard in on PS4 and type, or even just use third party programs like discord etc for voice comms.

Soar

That's just a matter of preference, really. The game plays wonderfully with a controller, but you could still get the PC version and use your favorite controller there. If you get the PS4 version, you can use a Bluetooth keyboard.

Thank you, will probably get it on PC as I don't want to have extra keyboards lying around just for this.

Haha, the pizza thing xD

Okay so yeah. I'm not sure if it works for trial accounts, but as long as you enter it before your first subscription, you should be okay. So you should be able to upgrade to the complete edition and then use the code. Feel free to use this one if you wish: WZ3UCUQX

aaaand as for platform. SE has done a good job with both PS4 and PC, honestly. Choose whatever you're most comfortable on. Just remember you can plug a keyboard in on PS4 and type, or even just use third party programs like discord etc for voice comms.

Cheers, will use your code when I upgrade. I mean at this point i'll play on PS4 if it has extra features like trophies etc.

Thanks for the quick responses!

gryvan

DK is pretty awful on the way to 70, but I think it's alright at the level cap. It really depends on how much fun you get out of mashing dark arts.

Basically this for me and i dont worry too much about mp management(until TBN is needed for the extra bloodspiller)

There used to be a nice balance with the tanks in pre SB.

From Simple to Technical you had Paladin > Warrior > Dark Knight.

There was something for everyone. One job for people who want to watch netflix while getting tomes, one for people that want big dick numbers and then a job for those who want to play DPS without the shitty queue times.

SE decided to fuck it all up because it was too good though. Stuff like that makes it real easy to put the game down and do something else until the next big patch comes along.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I actually don't mind the simplified Dark Knight in Stormblood because pre 4.0 one of my gripes with the Job was having to manage my constantly draining MP and I'm glad I don't have to do that no more. Now I just have to manage MP when I actually use an action instead of worrying about MP running out on it's own.

Lv.50-60 Dark Knight Quests can suck it though they are a blight to the glorious Lv.30-50 and Lv.60-70 Quests.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
SCH-question

I'll have four 3.0 Datalogs after I clear tonight.

Should I spend those to upgrade my weapon from 330 to 340 or save it until I have 8 to buy the Legs? I currently have the 330 Legs, so either one would be a 10 ilvl update. Not sure how soon I'll be clearing O4S... theoretically, Creation weapon isn't BiS whereas raid legs are, but the immediate upgrade of the weapon may be worth it for higher chances of clearing o4s. Not sure.

iammeiam

SCH-question

I'll have four 3.0 Datalogs after I clear tonight.

Should I spend those to upgrade my weapon from 330 to 340 or save it until I have 8 to buy the Legs? I currently have the 330 Legs, so either one would be a 10 ilvl update. Not sure how soon I'll be clearing O4S... theoretically, Creation weapon isn't BiS whereas raid legs are, but the immediate upgrade of the weapon may be worth it for higher chances of clearing o4s. Not sure.

In a static, right? I'd heavily encourage saving your pages for either the pants or a twine to upgrade something else left-side, and just wait until you can get the weapon upgrade item as a drop. The weapon upgrade item and tomestones go from being super valuable to things nobody wants pretty quickly, as people generally aren't chomping at the bit to drop another 1000 creation on an alt weapon.

Basically you know after 8 clears you'll have seen enough roborant a for everyone in the group to have one; you may not have seen pants drop at that point (or they dropped and went to the other healer of something). If you hold on to your pages, by week eight you will be able to have i340 weapon and pants. If you spend pages on the upgrade item, at week eight you'll have the weapon but be at the mercy of RNG for the pants.

However if the creation book looks super-cool it might be worth for glamour purposes idk.

Thanks!

Hey if you're doing the pizza thing, could I please confirm with you if the code is region locked? I live in Sydney, but have a friend in the UK who would like the game

Apoptomon

Hey if you're doing the pizza thing, could I please confirm with you if the code is region locked? I live in Sydney, but have a friend in the UK who would like the game

Accounts-wise Australia is considered a PAL/EU region (we pay in €, after all), so I don't imagine there'd be any issues with an actual EUR account using the codes.

When I started the game I could pick any data centre, I don't think they'd be locked.

BTW, anyone can play on any server regardless of their location or account region.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
In a static, right? I'd heavily encourage saving your pages for either the pants or a twine to upgrade something else left-side, and just wait until you can get the weapon upgrade item as a drop. The weapon upgrade item and tomestones go from being super valuable to things nobody wants pretty quickly, as people generally aren't chomping at the bit to drop another 1000 creation on an alt weapon.

Basically you know after 8 clears you'll have seen enough roborant a for everyone in the group to have one; you may not have seen pants drop at that point (or they dropped and went to the other healer of something). If you hold on to your pages, by week eight you will be able to have i340 weapon and pants. If you spend pages on the upgrade item, at week eight you'll have the weapon but be at the mercy of RNG for the pants.

However if the creation book looks super-cool it might be worth for glamour purposes idk.

My thinking is that upgrading the weapon now will improve my odds of clearing o4s in the next 4 weeks. But not sure if that's worth risking delaying pants by 4.

Anyone have that cool Sam rotation guide image? Just hit level 68. Not sure how to fit Hagakure into my rotation
photo5082862850585765llsxx.jpg

Soar

The game plays the same either way. You can plug in a controller to your PC or a keyboard to your PS4 for the same controls. Roughly half my raid group plays on PS4.

The main difference is that you can get third party DPS parsers (officially banned but unofficially allowed as long as you don't talk about them) for the PC version, which is very useful when raiding because it helps you improve and identify what went wrong after a wipe. The PS4 has no equivalent. Having said that, you don't need to play with a parser. It's just a useful tool for hardcore endgame raiding if you want to get into that. It's overkill for any other content in the game.

Voice chat is fine either way. The people I play with on PS4 have a phone, tablet, or laptop running Discord for voice chat when we raid.

Thanks for the input. I'm not too concerned about raiding for now, I had a lot of fatigue from leading them during my WoW days. What I am doing now is to try both PC and PS4 Pro out and see which sticks in terms of comfort. My PC has lower horsepower than the console at the moment but input is more important to me at this point.

Yeah can confirm that you can choose any region/server if they aren't full. I couldn't get into Tonberry for example =/.

iammeiam

My thinking is that upgrading the weapon now will improve my odds of clearing o4s in the next 4 weeks. But not sure if that's worth risking delaying pants by 4.

It's an understandable concern, but the healing component isn't one where I think the 330->340 upgrade would make any meaningful difference to progression. Like, whatever you have to do at 340 weapon to heal it would also work at 330. So it just leaves the DPS component, and the fight doesn't really have anything in the way of phase pushes or mechanics skips that you could do to ease prog. So really it just comes down to the fight-long enrage timers, and if you hit a point where you're hitting Neo's hard enrage with sub-200k HP on him on a clean run, then upgrading the healer weapons from 330 starts making a difference. But it's super unlikely you'll see that, and if you save the pages and you're hitting a point where you can see specific need for the upgrade you can do it then. It won't make prog any harder to wait, so you shouldn't lose out and if it ends up a non-issue you're better positizoned gear-wise at the end.

I basically think prior tiers had fights where the upgrade might have been a make or break thing for specific DPS checks, but I don't think 4S is that kind of fight. It's more concerned with clean mechanics execution than minmaxing.

Astral

I keep dying during Lakshmi's Hand of Beauty as a healer. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm using vril but still die. Then someone told me to use it after the bubble hits but then I get inflicted with heavy.

Qvoth

I keep dying during Lakshmi's Hand of Beauty as a healer. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm using vril but still die. Then someone told me to use it after the bubble hits but then I get inflicted with heavy.

is that the one that drops a blue aoe on each healer?
afaik the healers should stand far away on opposite side of the arena, and then move inwards after the "drop" because the ground aoe becomes large afterwards

check out video guides by youtubers like mrhappy or mtqcapture, those are what most people use

Astral

is that the one that drops a blue aoe on each healer?
afaik the healers should stand far away on opposite side of the arena, and then move inwards after the "drop" because the ground aoe becomes large afterwards

check out video guides by youtubers like mrhappy or mtqcapture, those are what most people use

Yeah I figured it out. I just have to have it on before it falls. Then run. And now some weird lag goes on during it. Sigh I'll be here all night.

Anyone have that cool Sam rotation guide image? Just hit level 68. Not sure how to fit Hagakure into my rotation

I don't main SAM anymore, but Hagakure should be used on CD for as many Sen as possible unless 1) the target will jump befroe you can spend the bonus Kenki or 2) You are under raidbuffs that will expire before you can spend all the bonus Kenki. Obviously you should never cap Kenki when using it but that's a given.

As far as the opener goes it depends on fight length and composition but I would just use the 3 Sen opener to be safe until you're comfortable enough to change up your opener based on those factors. The difference isn't huge even if you always use 3 Sen. Using the 3 Sen opener on a dummy you will see that when played correctly Hagakure will line up with 3 Sen most of the time with no adjustments. This changed obviously anytime you have downtime in a fight.

Also as a side note, pre-release Hagakure confused me because if you do the math (which I don't have offhand) Midare Setsugekka actually beats it in most circumstances in pure potency. The reason Hagakure is good is because it saves you a GCD since you spend your Sen without casting Iaijustu. That saved GCD gets you on your way to your next Sen faster and lines you up much more easily for DoT reapplication and CDs.

Of course the image spells all that out but I was bored so figured I'd give a little insight. If you want to dig into the class the SAM channel on the Balance discord is where I picked up all the useful tidbits. Tbf though at this late stage most of the info is out there in guides or discussions and most of the discord is obvious questions or people talking about waifus...

Astral

Man I just got tried hard af on Lakshmi. Other healer died, tank sends that one attack in the direction of the whole party, I'm accused of not being able to heal and get kicked. I'm triggered.

Yeah I figured it out. I just have to have it on before it falls. Then run. And now some weird lag goes on during it. Sigh I'll be here all night.

Was gonna suggest it could be the blue aoe marker mechanic that hits 2nd on threat list that is right after the healers take their hits. I saw some OTs earlier on in Stormblood stand in bad spots and hit others with the aoe that was a one shot, and also when a DPS was 2nd on the aggro list and they aimed the aoe at others and got them killed. Vril lasts like 50 seconds so would make more sense if you're popping it too late than early.

Astral

Was gonna suggest it could be the blue aoe marker mechanic that hits 2nd on threat list that is right after the healers take their hits. I saw some OTs earlier on in Stormblood stand in bad spots and hit others with the aoe that was a one shot, and also when a DPS was 2nd on the aggro list and they aimed the aoe at others and got them killed. Vril lasts like 50 seconds so would make more sense if you're popping it too late than early.

Oh I finally beat it with this really awesome, albeit, annoying party. Was able to beat it 4 times in a row very quickly. I didn't realize it was only 4 so I had to do the 5th run with another party and yeah that sucked.

I'mma need an exp bump on some 51-59 dungeons , Yoshi....

They give pretty good xp, main issue is it's too common to have really bad DPS at this level range, either people undergeared or just shit at their classes. Not as much as potd though in terms of xp/hour, they still take longer and give same/less xp(depending on the lvl range, in the later half of 50s PotD slows down to like 3runs per level, which becomes worse than dungeons, but it's still 5-10mins faster per run). But I've leveled like half of my classes through dungeons instead of potd cause I couldn't do more potd and overall it wasn't all that bad.

Obviously more xp wouldn't be bad just I'm not sure it's super necessary. I would rather see more xp in the 1-50 part. Make it so dungeons give like almost a full level on their own(they're really bad in general), shorten them(they said they would already), give more xp for story. And then still need to fix castrum and cut a large amount of the shit filler quests in the 2.0-2.5 story. There's a lot of stuff that can be removed with minimal rewriting I think. Shitty fetch quests? Just cut the whole thing, add a line on how "some recruits just delivered the things", bam done. Still a lot of work overall but god does it need it.

Astral

No, you should pretty much never hardcast raise unless its an emergency and you have stuff like Presence of Mind up for it.

No.

They probably deserved to die.

Especially DRGs and RDMs.

Let them eat floor.

Yes. Just make sure the tank has enough shields and heals.

I'm with Froppy. Hard casting Raise takes like 5 years and sometimes other people die by the time it's cast. I got bitched at for not Raising another WHM who died to some easy to avoid mechanic. I had already spent my Swiftcast on something else and needed a few more seconds for it to be ready. I wasn't about to hard cast when we only had one tank left and at low health.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Am I a jerk if I only Raise if I have Swiftcast available?
Not really. The rule of thumb is to raise only when it's safe to do so.

If you can safely hardcast raise (like if the boss is currently doing nothing) then go ahead and do so, but if you're busy healing hardcasting raise will risk more people dying, then it's reasonable to wait until you get Swiftcast back. There are a lot of situations where a healer solo healing is better than one healer trying to res the other healer while everyone goes without heals for a few seconds.

Astral

New glamour time. You'll never see it coming.

CXzSsXp.jpg

I used this for most of Stormblood without the mask. I felt so awesome.

Is there a limit to the loot you can get in the Omega raids? I did normal O3 and it didn't let me get anything. It forced me to pass.

Top Bottom