• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Triple H |OT| February Wrasslin

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

I'll agree with you on those points. Except for Batista being on par with Cena but not Jericho and Orton. C'mon man, you've got to be kidding.

I know I'm reaching. But according to people here the next Hulk Hogan is on the roster but HHH/CENA is holding him down.

MVP was buried by the front office telling him to tone it down (his offense is good, check his NJPW stuff), and by his love of joints. Not Cena/HHH.

I don't think Swagger sucks, he's just a WCW guy 20 years too late. Given the right promotion he could have been a Dr.Death-lite.

CM Punk was made by Cena into a main eventer.

Also, Cena is a product of his environment. Put Cena in early-90's WCW or Attitude Era he'd come off a lot stronger/better. I'd pay for a time machine Vader/Cena match- it would be awesome.

There was nobody more over in the entire company then Punk when Punk beat Cena. Creative (Vince) taking the leash off of Punk almost instantly made him a main eventer. Cena had VERY little to do with it.

When I started dating my wife it was around 2006. She thought it was silly of me to watch wrestling but she like one guy. John Cena. And it wasn't because anyone told her she had to look him...she just did. He had the it factor. The Charisma.
My wife hates him. When we met in 2000, she had one wrestling t-shirt. Mick Foley's Cactus Jack shirt. She has read all his books.

But she is genuinely a fan of the wrasslin and not someone who has to be lured in by the "charisma" of a glorified male stripper.

jmdajr

My wife hates him. When we met in 2000, she had one wrestling t-shirt. Mick Foley's Cactus Jack shirt. She has read all his books.

But she is genuinely a fan of the wrasslin and not someone who has to be lured in by the "charisma" of a glorified male stripper.

Well that's great. Congratulations. I will remind my wife of what a wrestling noob she is.

lololol.

Have you ever (or your wife) liked Cena?

jmdajr

There was nobody more over in the entire company then Punk when Punk beat Cena. Creative (Vince) taking the leash off of Punk almost instantly made him a main eventer. Cena had VERY little to do with it.

I remember hearing stories about Cena imploring Vince to give Punk a chance. And I don't mean on TV, I mean behind the scenes.

I think HHH hates Cena. I think if HHH ran the whole show, he would bury Cena.

Sorry I don't know what this has to do with anything, it was just a thought.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Thanks for the reply. I'm still waiting for the list of wrestlers who could have been at Cena's level by now. And maybe there are people I have not thought of, but just name them. And be realistic.

thats the way the chips fall, some guys passed away, others left like lesnar and brotista, others got hurt like Edge who could've been the top guy. I dont agree that Cena is the ONLY choice, but he is the last one left from his early days.

alstein

Punk held up his end well, but Cena was a great foil against Punk, and more then did his part to build Punk up. Just because we all hate his character, doesn't mean that Cena wasn't professional, and he busted ass out there to help make things work. Ultimately, you can only be made so much without being able to carry the ball yourself. Look at Lex Luger.

jmdajr

That was only in Chicago. Cena was still and is still more over.

john_cena_boo_map.jpg

CM Punk did a hell of a lot more for Jeffy than vice versa

Punk held up his end well, but Cena was a great foil against Punk, and more then did his part to build Punk up. Just because we all hate his character, doesn't mean that Cena wasn't professional, and he busted ass out there to help make things work. Ultimately, you can only be made so much without being able to carry the ball yourself. Look at Lex Luger.

Cena's role in all of that was handled all wrong, hate that they made it more about Cena's job than the WWE title. But yeah, Punk's storyline would never have worked quite so well against any other wrestler

That was only in Chicago. Cena was still and is still more over.

[Citation needed]

sajj316

It takes two to tango unless your Hogan. There was no better opponent for Punk than Cena @ MITB. They headlined two solid PPVs over the summer. I credit them both for getting Punk into upper tier status. I credit Ultimate H for defusing it a bit.

Shelton and Christian are the only legit picks

Shelton was lazy and only ever did just enough work to keep himself employed.

I'm gonna sound like Frankman here, but MVP could've been a legit main eventer. He certainly had the charisma and the talent, but good ol' Vince just had to get him to "dumb it down" after all.

Shelton is a star who suffers from being born into an era with few/no managers, Youmanga had the wrestling chops to be bigger than he was but had a shit finisher and shittier gimmick, MVP probably could have been handled better but he was too green when he was still a heel and his gimmick doesn't work for a face.

Why does no one here care about the Rock blu ray?

I bought it on my lunch break. If it is 70% as good as B. VS S. or SCSA......I don't see what the problem is.

hertog

So.. How many people did Stone Cold put over? I know he didn't always win, and got screwed over a lot.

But once he was champion, I don't remember him losing cleany. Maybe he didn't have too.

Maybe during 98 - 99

Cena's been invincible from 2004 until now

Live Smackdown is always a bunch of gonzo skit stuff that Vince thinks is funny, so show probably won't be very good. Atleast we get Punk vs Bryan again though.

Now I am thinking HHH vs taker is gonna end the show.

after Raw now I think the HIAC match is HHH trying to overshadow the rock.

I mean its takers last match probably and with HIAC I guess they plan on doing a cage bump ala Foley vs HHH in 2000 then it will have to be the last match because the ring will be broken and they dont want to have the main event of mania on a broken ring.

I can see the old cell being brought back just for this. its smaller so its easier to hide up under the big screen roof thing they have for outdoor shows. plus its the only way they could do a fall from the roof.

Brinbe

Wow, completely forgot about the live Smackdown, glad I checked in here or I'd have missed it. Will definitely have get my lamp on while the Leafs game's on.

At the very least, Punk-Bryan should be good.

I mean its takers last match probably and with HIAC I guess they plan on doing a cage bump ala Foley vs HHH in 2000 then it will have to be the last match because the ring will be broken and they dont want to have the main event of mania on a broken ring.

I can see the old cell being brought back just for this. its smaller so its easier to hide up under the big screen roof thing they have for outdoor shows. plus its the only way they could do a fall from the roof.
Definitely a tough call. A potential spot like that is hard to comeback from and in almost any year would end things (Taker does deserve that much) but would they really do that with a damn match they've been building for a year? Would be really hard to see Rock-Cena not MEing.

Bowser

I doubt it - it would be pretty dumb to not end the show with the match you've been promoting for a year with two of the biggest talents from different eras. Plus, even if HHH/Taker is Taker's last match and it's HIAC, it's still a match we've largely seen twice before.

Kaladin

We've been discussing that for awhile but no one has an answer. It's apparently all of HHH fault though. He's holding back all the future John Cenas.

CM Punk is there, but he's more Randy Savage or HBK than a face of the company. Orton is there but he doesn't have the charisma to carry the company. Jericho maybe? There is no telling how long this run will last though. The rest aren't really there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom