• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IX Release Date: July 11, 2010

wrowa

Lafiel said:
This sucks, i made a challenge for myself that i'd finish DQ1-3 DQ4 5 7 8 before DQ9 released in the US. However with that release date i'm unlikely to come close to that goal.;_;

Still hyped!
And so far you finished...?

Rpgmonkey

Doesn't seem like they're changing anything to make certain features of the game more suitable for the west. There was a good amount of extra stuff I couldn't access with the import for obvious reasons, so that's what I wanted most from the English version...

But if it turns out they'll just make it so you just go somewhere or whatever for certain things instead of the original method, they'll regain my full attention.

Kuraudo

Banned
Lafiel said:
This sucks, i made a challenge for myself that i'd finish DQ1-3 DQ4 5 7 8 before DQ9 released in the US. However with that release date i'm unlikely to come close to that goal.;_;

Still hyped!

Then wait until you beat those games before playing it?

I really can't see how this sucks.

Aeana

pancakesandsex said:
Do we know who is handling the localization yet?
Based on the text in the screenshots, I would say it's either Plus Alpha, or someone who's really good at emulating their style.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
wrowa said:
And so far you finished...?
DQ 1 2 3 4 5.

I'm like 30 hours into DQVII.:lol

Then wait until you beat those games before playing it?

I really can't see how this sucks.
It was a challenge i made for myself, and i did not live up to it.:lol

Kuraudo

Banned
Lafiel said:
DQ 1 2 3 4 5.

I'm like 30 hours into DQVII.:lol

It was a challenge i made for myself, and i did not live up to it.:lol

Well you still have nearly two months. You should blow through DQVII in half that
if you give up sleeping and all social interactions.

What I don't understand is DQ8 was developed on a console and did really well but when they had the opportunity to make the next installment on a next-gen system (which I think everyone would prefer, unless yous crazy) they decided meh lets put it on a handheld instead. That sucks

Fisticuffs said:
What I don't understand is DQ8 was developed on a console and did really well but when they had the opportunity to make the next installment on a next-gen system (which I think everyone would prefer, unless yous crazy) they decided meh lets put it on a handheld instead. That sucks

Dragon Quest X is for the Wii.

Teknoman

Man I havent started on DQ V or VII...so I guess i'll continue my trend of playing em out of order. IX, back to V, and then VII.

Aeana

Fisticuffs said:
The DS is the most successful platform this generation. It's that simple.

But yes, 10 has been announced for Wii.

firex

Fisticuffs said:
It's almost like you don't know how Horii decides which system a DQ game goes to.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I may pick it up, The only Dragon Quest game I ever played was VIII and got bored of that quickly, but it being on handhelds may fix my problem with it.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This is the one with no real characters, no real story, and no real grinding right?

I'll have ta think about getting this one. If that $40 price is right it'll give me some extra time to think... >_>

Bring on VI!

I played DQV remake on the DS & LOVED it, definetely one of the best RPG's I've ever played & my 2nd favorite RPg this gen.

Anyway so why have there only been 1 DQ titles per gen for the last 2 generation? Did they plan it to be like that?

Aeana

Lindsay said:
This is the one with no real characters, no real story, and no real grinding right?

I'll have ta think about getting this one. If that $40 price is right it'll give me some extra time to think... >_>

Bring on VI!
There certainly is a story, and there's more to it than many earlier games in the series. And there are plenty of characters, they just aren't in your party (except for Sandy, who follows the hero around and talks plenty).

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Fisticuffs said:
Goddamn! I is crazy! That sucks!
And I had to learn it from Fisticuffs on GAF. :(
Lindsay said:

Bring on VI!
Metal Slime hunting with 3 friends may be some of the most excellent gaming ever.

The game is pretty much a lot of the great things of 3 and 7 mashed together. It's quite a trip.

And I enjoy it much more than VI, although that is my least favorite DQ.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
What I don't understand is DQ8 was developed on a console and did really well but when they had the opportunity to make the next installment on a next-gen system (which I think everyone would prefer, unless yous crazy) they decided meh lets put it on a handheld instead
and it still did really well

funny, that.

Hobbun

Fisticuffs said:

And just when I thought all of you were gone. :lol

wrowa

Kuraudo said:
Well you still have nearly two months. You should blow through DQVII in half that
if you give up sleeping and all social interactions.
If he gives up on sleeping, eating, drinking and everything else that isn't directly related to sitting in front of the TV playing DQVII, he should be able to finish the game in 3 days from now.

If he's lucky, he even will be still alive after that.

justchris

donny2112 said:
Yeah. The only time Bark Mode worked in Nintendogs was that intentional gathering shortly after the game released in malls and the GameStop giveaways. Maybe there'll be GameStop surechigai stands setup for this?

It also works at gaming/sci-fi conventions. Those were the only places I was ever able to get an Friend Points or whatever they were called in The World Ends With You.

I've done my part. Just pre-ordered at game stop for $27.43!

---------------------
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels Starry Sky 1 Pre-order Ships 7/1/2010
$34.99

Shipping Method: USA Value - $0.00

Subtotal:$24.99 (after $10 coupon)

Free Value Shipping on your order.$2.99 (saved)

Estimated Tax:$2.44

Handling:$2.99 (saved)

Total:$27.43

-------------
1. https://www.gamestopufc2010.com/ <<<< Enter this contest for a $10 off coupon code.
2. Use the coupon code + coupon code "saver" for free shipping.
3. Get the game for only $24.99 + tax!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Edit - Oooh, that stormy castle scene screen from that batch that Stump posted is really purty!

Oxx said:
Like the alliteration in the item names and descriptions.

Half of the fun of playing a DQ in English is looking for all of the puns, alliterations, and various other examples of unusual localization cleverness! :D

Fisticuffs said:

It's the best selling DQ of all time in Japan. What's to understand?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
justchris said:
It also works at gaming/sci-fi conventions. Those were the only places I was ever able to get an Friend Points or whatever they were called in The World Ends With You.
Yeah, the DQ9 thing probably won't be to big in the states, but I still notice people playing it when I go to Den-Den town. Or did a month ago at least. Just different countries.

Mafro

Fisticuffs said:
Jesus Christ, it's like the announcement thread all over again.

Johnas

It's about time.

I'm ambivalent on the boxart, I prefer the colorful artsier look of the JP version but I kind of like the poses of the characters on this one, reminds me a little of Dragon Warrior III GBC. I see no good reason to omit the sword from the T. That really gave it a lot of character.

Anyway, this game plus Super Mario Galaxy 2 guarantees a great summer for gaming.

Fisticuffs said:

Do you work for IGN?

Good that it is finally coming, though I worry about having a way to be able to get any DLC stuff as my Wii's pathway to the internet was taken out by a storm and I've no wireless. :(

I was kinda hoping all the DLC of the past many months would just already be in the game when it came stateside...

Hopefully some clever ideas emerge after release and people figure out exactly what the deal is with it all!

Aeana

ElectricThunder said:
Good that it is finally coming, though I worry about having a way to be able to get any DLC stuff as my Wii's pathway to the internet was taken out by a storm and I've no wireless. :(

I was kinda hoping all the DLC of the past many months would just already be in the game when it came stateside...

Hopefully some clever ideas emerge after release and people figure out exactly what the deal is with it all!
The DLC is already on the cart. It just gets unlocked by SE via wifi each time (it's free). An Action Replay code exists for the Japanese version to unlock it all from the start, I believe.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yep, something similar was done for at least the first Layton game.
Cheats CAN be used to unlock them all from the get-go.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'll be in NY during the launch. Hopefully there'll be an event.

Already have the money for the two copies I'll buy.

Josh7289

vagabondarts said:
Finally! Can't wait to play this. I'm looking forward to the translation that NOA did :D
They didn't; Square-Enix is doing the localization. Nintendo is just publishing and marketing it.

Edit: Yeah, I was late with this...

Loto

Im so excited and cannot wait. I was getting a little worried when the BBS release date was announced and nothing from DQIX.

alf717

Never heard of Plus Alpha until today. I have to admit certain points of DQIV's and DQV's translation gave me a headache but they still do a good job. I guess they do a more "pure" (is that the right word?) translation to the original Japanese version.

Shouta

Hobbun said:
And just when I thought all of you were gone. :lol

I'm still here too. Though my problem wasn't that it was a handheld but that there wouldn't be as much effort put into it because of the platform. That ended up being true, to me at least.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I like the Japanese art much better. Whatever, at least were getting this.

Stumpokapow said:
I don't know how many of these are new so I'll just post them all

I had kinda forgot about the customisation element to the game. Looking forward to that part :)

Very much expecting this to be near the top of my GOTY list too.

Top Bottom