• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

kharma45

so im looking into getting irish passport, partly cause im worried about the UK leaving the EU and losing the right to travel freely. also im entitled to citizenship so i might as well take it up.

What, do you expect a non-EU UK passport to see you rejected from entering other European countries within Schengen?

Clegg

That was good times. They used to do every new release for between 40-45, and I remember how annoyed we all got when a DS game was more than 35 euro. Then Game went, then HMV got bad, and symths got bad as well.
Long live Electronic Boutique

Yeah, we're definitely getting ripped off. There's no cheaper alternative anymore if you want to go into a shop and buy a game, they all charge exorbitant prices so they can basically get away with it. Just means I have to shop online and generally buy less games now, so it's only hurting them really. It's fairly annoying though, I liked trading stuff in but there's no point when they're charging 15-20 euro more then online.

I suppose if you waited a few months after release you could go to CEX and get games relatively cheaply. Maybe it's just me but I find the place to be a bit scummy for some reason so I don't generally go there.

Catvoca

Banned

I suppose if you waited a few months after release you could go to CEX and get games relatively cheaply. Maybe it's just me but I find the place to be a bit scummy for some reason so I don't generally go there.

I have the same scummy feeling towards CEX and I'm not really sure why. Place just seems seedy to me.

I sell more than buy to cex, and its always full of scumbags trying to sell clearly stolen stuff, or Gardai, or just scumbags. I mean its super cheap, but its not a pleasurable place to shop in.

so im looking into getting irish passport, partly cause im worried about the UK leaving the EU and losing the right to travel freely. also im entitled to citizenship so i might as well take it up.
If you are entitled then do it. It's not outrageously expensive and could save yourself from the brexit ugliness should it come to pass.

Dazzler

There's a dodgy stink off CEX alright

I'm biased because I live in Canada but videogamesplus.ca ship to Ireland and I used them for years when I was living at home

Jamie OD

Using Parcel Motel to buy from British sites is how I get my games now. Added bonus is sometimes I get my game a day or two before it hits the shops.

So I'm a multiethnic American with a great-grandfather who was Irish. So there's not much "Irish" left in me, but I was wondering if anyone happened to have a cookbook of traditional Irish foods that they might recommend?

Clegg

So I'm a multiethnic American with a great-grandfather who was Irish. So there's not much "Irish" left in me, but I was wondering if anyone happened to have a cookbook of traditional Irish foods that they might recommend?
I don't have a link for any recipes or books.

But I can tell you to google "coddle"

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I sell more than buy to cex, and its always full of scumbags trying to sell clearly stolen stuff, or Gardai, or just scumbags. I mean its super cheap, but its not a pleasurable place to shop in.

I'm the same, we have one in Ennis now. I sold 4 old graphic cards in there and got €550 for the 4 of them. It was 2 AMD 8970's and 2 ATI's 5870's. I was thinking if I got €200 I would have been happy, used the money to pick up a GTX 970.

SuperHans

I'm the same, we have one in Ennis now. I sold 4 old graphic cards in there and got €550 for the 4 of them. It was 2 AMD 8970's and 2 ATI's 5870's. I was thinking if I got €200 I would have been happy, used the money to pick up a GTX 970.

Wow didn't know they bought gfx cards, I've an old AMD 6950 wonder if they would give me much for it.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I wish they did more BD's though. It feels especially lacking on that front, now that all the Xtra Visions have closed.

Though if they did more vintage console stuff beyond the 6 gen era, I'd probably never leave.

WolfeTone

This is actually something of interest to me too. Born and raised in Dublin and lived there for 25 years and I'm still not sure to tell people when they ask me about Irish cuisine. Honestly I draw a complete blank. When I think of Irish cooking my mind goes to carvery-style pub food, roast chicken, turkey or ham served with some mashed potatoes (maybe some boiled potatoes too), carrots, boiled cabbage, turnips and the whole thing drowned in gravy. Delicious.

PowerTaxi

Banned
If it's a game I'm really looking forward to then Amazon.

Does anyone else remember back to before HMV went bust the first time? Their games were usually €10-15 cheaper than GameStop. Now they've jacked the prices up to match.

Worst thing is we don't have an equivalent to Tesco in the UK who do stupidly good sales on cpgames and consoles from time to time. We're absolutely getting ripped off.

Wasn't planing on getting The Division at launch but my friend kept bugging me about it.The Argos in Stephens Green was selling it €20 cheaper than the Gamestop 2 minutes away.

WolfeTone

Speaking of things you don't understand, you'll never believe how many English families have Irish heritage. Liverpool and Merseyside can attribute their accent to the Irish and a lot of heritage through Irish immigration and trade in the ports.

I have Irish in my family tree even though I'm vastly Cornish in direct descendancy but first generation Lancastrian. You'll be surprised just how many English people have Irish family and heritage.

Well, having said that, I'll fuck right off as you want OP.

Likewise the vast majority of Irish people have some kind of 'English/British heritage'. Like or not the English have been in this country since at least the Saxon-era. Many of those fighting for Irish independence over the years were themselves English or had significant English roots. The Protestant Ascendancy played a huge role in Irish history. Honestly I feel like this aspect of Irish nationalism is somewhat downplayed in our history classes but that could just be my poor memory failing me.

Lucreto

Wasn't planing on getting The Division at launch but my friend kept bugging me about it.The Argos in Stephens Green was selling it €20 cheaper than the Gamestop 2 minutes away.

Gamestop are thieves and I am surprised they are not gone out of business. Fire Emblem fates was €90 on Amazon France. GameStop are apparently charging €120 according to the fire emblem thread.

I currently love the Brexit talk happening at the moment as it's hitting the pound hard. I see The Division on Amazon UK for €50. There are other factors in play as well but Brexit is not helping.

NateDog

Amen to that, have some great memories of there.

But Smyths and Argos aren't that bad guys. FIFA was €65 on release in Smyths I think (still overpriced, but was €80 in HMV and €75 in GS), SFV was €60 there and €75 everywhere else. I got FIFA in Argos on Black Friday for €30 (which was only like 1-2 months post release).

What really kills me is GAME still getting exclusives on certain editions. We then have to order it from their site, at their overpriced £ Sterling converted to Euros, plus shipping and it has never arrived anywhere close to on time. I'd take Gamestop over GAME any day. Gamestop have yet to let me down on release day delivery.

Valhelm

contribute something
Speaking of things you don't understand, you'll never believe how many English families have Irish heritage. Liverpool and Merseyside can attribute their accent to the Irish and a lot of heritage through Irish immigration and trade in the ports.

I have Irish in my family tree even though I'm vastly Cornish in direct descendancy but first generation Lancastrian. You'll be surprised just how many English people have Irish family and heritage.

Well, having said that, I'll fuck right off as you want OP.

I think it's funny how the Beatles, likely the most famous Englishmen of the 20th century, were mostly Irish by descent

I think im the worst Irishman going. Hate GAA, hate Hurling, hate Guinness, havent had a drink of anything alcoholic in 3 months, dont give a shite about the 1916 celebrations, have never watched a rugby match, and get heat from my relatives for not supporting Conor McGregor. And even tho i rarely to never venture outside the pale, i have zero love for Dublin as it is today. What a fucking kip. My great grandad fought in WW1 which i something im quite proud of tho, so i had more interest and connection with the centenary of the outbreak of WW1 than the Rising to be fair. The country is a damn rip off, the government is corrupt as fuck, ill never be able to afford a house, the weather is fucking shite and were responsible for Jedward. So yeah worst irishman ever here what up irishgaf

On the topic of games. I use the US store on my Xbox One. I buy the credit off amazon and only buy games on sale. Much better than dealing with gamestop and paying out the ass at retail.

I think im the worst Irishman going. Hate GAA, hate Hurling, hate Guinness, havent had a drink of anything alcoholic in 3 months, dont give a shite about the 1916 celebrations, have never watched a rugby match, and get heat from my relatives for not supporting Conor McGregor. And even tho i rarely to never venture outside the pale, i have zero love for Dublin as it is today. What a fucking kip. My great grandad fought in WW1 which i something im quite proud of tho, so i had more interest and connection with the centenary of the outbreak of WW1 than the Rising to be fair. The country is a damn rip off, the government is corrupt as fuck, ill never be able to afford a house, the weather is fucking shite and were responsible for Jedward. So yeah worst irishman ever here what up irishgaf
You're a moany cunt. You're as much an Irishman as anyone ;)

With that level of whining and self loathing, you quality as irish!

Lovely

4RH0zq7.jpg

Nerdkiller

Membeur
So...given the negative reactions BvS seems to be getting, does anyone else want to go and see it tomorrow just to see how bad it can be?

Seeing BvS tonight at 12. Excited to see it, but well aware it's going to be crap. Just hoping that Flash cameo is good

Gunna politely disagree with you Kharma btw

Clegg

Anyone who finds themselves in Dublin City needs to go to Aungier Dunger. Two sites, one on Aungier Street and the other in Arnotts although the Arnotts one is only a temp thing.

NateDog

So...given the negative reactions BvS seems to be getting, does anyone else want to go and see it tomorrow just to see how bad it can be?
My GF is going to see it with her fam instead of with me now. Considering what I've heard I think I prefer it that way.

Also Aungier Danger looks cool as fuck, haven't had the chance to go in yet but it looks so damn nice. When I first saw them putting up the signs I thought the name alone was stellar.

Catvoca

Banned
I'm pretty curious to see it myself. My dad somehow loved Man of Steel so he wants to see it with me, so I guess I'll go sometime next week. I expect I'll be entertained by it even if I don't like it.

Seeing this with my brother tomorrow. I'm trying to be optimistic. Honestly all I really want is to come out of the theatre being hyped for the Wonder Woman movie.

SpecX

Noce timing on this thread popping up. Tomorrow's my last day in Ireland for a business trip and holy shit did we time it wrong. Good Friday and everything is closed, no drinking :(. What's something good to do in Dublin by chance as we want to try and squeeze in something before heading back to the states.

RangerX

Banned
I'm going to see it wirth some mates in Dun Laoghaire on saturday. My expectations are rock bottom but its an event film so hopefully it'll be a bit of a laugh.

Yen

Noce timing on this thread popping up. Tomorrow's my last day in Ireland for a business trip and holy shit did we time it wrong. Good Friday and everything is closed, no drinking :(. What's something good to do in Dublin by chance as we want to try and squeeze in something before heading back to the states.

If you can buy a train ticket for a long enough journey you can drink on the train. Do that.

SpecX

If you can buy a train ticket for a long enough journey you can drink on the train. Do that.

We're planning on transferring to the Conrad hotel in Dublin which is supposed to be able to serve alcohol as long as it's with a meal according to the locals. I'm heading into town in the next 20 mins, so hoping this is true.

Top Bottom