• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Timu

Finally!

t6BSZkz.jpg
You lucky son of a...
congrats!

Last call guys. Selling Elevator Action Returns to a shop soon. PM me if you're interested before Tuesday afternoon (CST).

I can't spend a lot of money right now because I'm going to Japan in a month but I never get this. Why not sell it on eBay? The game store is going to rip you off. Someone sold Keio Flying Squadron to ours recently. It makes no sense.

I can't spend a lot of money right now because I'm going to Japan in a month but I never get this. Why not sell it on eBay? The game store is going to rip you off. Someone sold Keio Flying Squadron to ours recently. It makes no sense.

I'm assuming his game store is willing to give him a comparatively good deal including a fair amount of store credit. Surely stores aren't going to give you as much cash, but if you're ok with store credit, it could end up being a favourable deal to both parties.

jerry1594

The game sells high, but it takes a long time to sell. Been wanting to sell it for a few months and no dice. I won't get a great amount but it'll sell at least.

CO_Andy

Anybody know how to fix a Sega Saturn 3D controller dpad that gets stuck in place (the up direction to be specific)?

Bought it new a month ago and its already got problems.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Unfortunately there aren't a ton of Saturn collectors out there. Like I've never had a problem selling my high dollar Nintendo items. I've sold several chrono triggers and earthbound with no problem but like I have an extra complete Daytona net link I can't get rid of to save my life.

That's a $200 game now right? At $100 I might be tempted to bite (despite knowing, like, nothing about EAR), but then I just spent a ton of money on a computer upgrade (that I'm still building atm), and the Switch comes out on Friday so I've got that pre-order to pay off...

Teknoman

Im still ticked I waited on Elevator Action Returns. It was like 70 bucks or so when I first heard about it here.

I think the only Saturn games I still need / want are:

Burning Rangers
Hyperduel
Blast Wind
Battle Garrega (unless that PS4 version hits soon)
Batsugun
Three Dirty Dwarves
Elevator Action Returns

I've got all the big RPGs (english wise) over time and the majority of everything else, barring things I may not have heard of yet.

Im still ticked I waited on Elevator Action Returns. It was like 70 bucks or so when I first heard about it here.

I think the only Saturn games I still need / want are:

Burning Rangers
Hyperduel
Blast Wind
Battle Garrega (unless that PS4 version hits soon)
Batsugun
Three Dirty Dwarves
Elevator Action Returns

I've got all the big RPGs (english wise) over time and the majority of everything else, barring things I may not have heard of yet.

Tekno, on Battle Garegga, if you want the limited edition it's going for half its price on Amazon.jp...

Leynos

Anyone here have any experience with the optical drive emulator, the Rhea/Phoebe? I am keen on buying one, but availability seems to be quite limited, as the maker seems to only make very small batches at a time which sell out almost immediately.

Anyone here have any experience with the optical drive emulator, the Rhea/Phoebe? I am keen on buying one, but availability seems to be quite limited, as the maker seems to only make very small batches at a time which sell out almost immediately.

I got one from the last batch but haven't installed it yet. I'll get it set up in the next few days and report back.

Leynos

Every time I see something like this, I am reminded of how I bought this game at EB on release day, played through it and sold it for like 40 bucks :(

I really don't see the fascination with this game, other than being a rarity. I played it, and didn't care for it at all. Funny thing, I played the personal copy of one of the two Sega guys who localized it for the Western market.

piggychan

I really don't see the fascination with this game, other than being a rarity. I played it, and didn't care for it at all. Funny thing, I played the personal copy of one of the two Sega guys who localized it for the Western market.

I guess why I cared for it was that I really enjoyed Team Andromeda's previous panzer games for the saturn and it Saga just had the continuation of that world, the music,art and folklore. I played it long before things like rarity and collect ability was a thing

Leynos

I really like Panzer Dragoon, Zwei, and Orta, but Saga just bored me. I like the on-rail gameplay, but never liked the aesthetics, music, or story of the series.

I love this game!! This music, atmosphere, story, length, about 12-14 hours. lite in the RPG area. I feel this game respects my time, its not a grind fest like some other games on the Saturn. I still enjoy running through to this day.

Agreed!!

The environment and gameplay of PDS is phenomenal. I paid a little more than $300 for my copy and I consider it worth every penny.

I installed my Rhea today. Installation was quick and painless. So far, I'm unable to play any of my games though. I don't have any machines that run Windows and it seems to be designed for proprietary formats so as of now I'm out of luck. WINE doesn't want to recognize my CD drive so I can't get DiscJuggler or ImgBurn to work properly.

I did get the Rhea Menu ISO to work though but as of now it's pointless. Device seems really cool though. I can't wait until I figure out how to get CDI files.

UPDATE:

I got WINE working properly and was able to make a couple images. This thing is a life-saver. Just before I ordered this, I started to have disc reading errors on Shining the Holy Ark, after a few minutes of playing around with it, it works exactly as I hoped it would. I wasn't expecting a convenient menu system either. I know the Switch comes out on Friday but I'll probably end up wasting my weekend ripping all my games instead.

I really like Panzer Dragoon, Zwei, and Orta, but Saga just bored me. I like the on-rail gameplay, but never liked the aesthetics, music, or story of the series.
See, I'm the exact opposite. I absolutely adore the setting, aesthetic and music of the series, but royally suck at rail shooters and thus find the mainline games more aggravating than enticing, making Saga's choice of genre right up my alley.

KC-Slater

I installed my Rhea today. Installation was quick and painless. So far, I'm unable to play any of my games though. I don't have any machines that run Windows and it seems to be designed for proprietary formats so as of now I'm out of luck. WINE doesn't want to recognize my CD drive so I can't get DiscJuggler or ImgBurn to work properly.

I did get the Rhea Menu ISO to work though but as of now it's pointless. Device seems really cool though. I can't wait until I figure out how to get CDI files.

UPDATE:

I got WINE working properly and was able to make a couple images. This thing is a life-saver. Just before I ordered this, I started to have disc reading errors on Shining the Holy Ark, after a few minutes of playing around with it, it works exactly as I hoped it would. I wasn't expecting a convenient menu system either. I know the Switch comes out on Friday but I'll probably end up wasting my weekend ripping all my games instead.

Can you inbox me or post your WINE settings so for DiscJuggler or ImgBrn for OS X? I went through hell getting it to work, and inevitably ended up using an old XP virtual box to rip most of my games. I no longer have access to that machine, and have a bunch of new Saturn games I want to try. The struggle is real.

ProTip: in the RHEA menu, one of the buttons loads the game directly from the browser (A maybe?) and the other hard-reboots the system but loads the selected image (Start? I may have them reversed..) This can be important for troubleshooting when certain games won't boot, especially those that require the RAM cart.

Can you inbox me or post your WINE settings so for DiscJuggler or ImgBrn for OS X? I went through hell getting it to work, and inevitably ended up using an old XP virtual box to rip most of my games. I don't have access to that machine, and have a bunch of new Saturn games I want to try. The struggle is real.

ProTip: in the RHEA menu, one of the buttons loads the game directly from the browser (A maybe?) and the other hard-reboots the system but loads the selected image (Start? I may have them reversed..) This can be important for troubleshooting when certain games won't boot, especially those that require the RAM cart.

My WINE settings for OS X ended up being reboot into Linux!

I could get them recognized in winecfg and wine explorer as CD-ROMs but there's some sort of driver issue that prevented both DiscJuggler and ImgBurn from working. I'm not sure if it's an inherent WINE issue or if it was because I used homebrew to install it. Apple probably changed the way their drivers work and WINE hasn't caught up to that.

KC-Slater

My WINE settings for OS X ended up being reboot into Linux!

I could get them recognized in winecfg and wine explorer as CD-ROMs but there's some sort of driver issue that prevented both DiscJuggler and ImgBurn from working. I'm not sure if it's an inherent WINE issue or if it was because I used homebrew to install it. Apple probably changed the way their drivers work and WINE hasn't caught up to that.

Fair enough. My "solution" was to rip an image on my Mac, (it has an optical drive) copy the image on to a Windows 8(?) netbook which had an XP virtual machine on it, mount the image using Daemon Tools, then "rip" the pseudo-image file using DiscJuggler in the XP sandbox to get the final .cdi format. It was all such a pain, but a necessary evil. Definitely not an elegant solution, haha.

Glad to see you got yours up and running though!

eXistor

Ooh, Sexy Parodius? Please let me know how you like the game, I really want to get a copy.

Oh it's good alright. I only played a bit yesterday (Vic Viper's voice is annoying!), but throughout the years I've only played Parodius (double pack) on Saturn and SNES. I've only gotten myself a JP Saturn recently so I'm now getting all the shooters I never played. If you've liked any Parodius in the past, this is a no-brainer. Graphics are great, controls are perfect, no slowdown etc. Great stuff all around.

Galdelico

Sweet pick-up!
Incidentally, I've also bought Sexy Parodius
' registration card
, yesterday.

Yeah, I'm totally going down that rabbit hole, lol.

IrishNinja

i thought udon's art was fine, the frames worked weird though

and SF the movie feels like MK style SF, but it plays like the latter. just a heads-up though: the last fight in single player is ridiculous

Aren't they still using the UDON art for Ultra SF2 on the Switch? I mean, there's the optional "use the CPS2 graphics" mode, fortunately, but still, they seem pretty confident in it after all this time.

D.Lo

Aren't they still using the UDON art for Ultra SF2 on the Switch? I mean, there's the optional "use the CPS2 graphics" mode, fortunately, but still, they seem pretty confident in it after all this time.
Yep, that whole package seems like a dogs breakfast of leftover crap.

The only reason I can see to make sense of its existence is this malstrom article:

https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2017/01/14/was-the-switch-designed-for-the-malstrom-gamer/

Aka the idea that it looks like Nintendo has actively courted old franchise items (Street Fighter II, Bomberman etc) to sell the console to lapsed gamers.

Top Bottom