• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

theultimo

BigNastyCurve said:
The youtube "evidence" you're touting is pretty fucking worthless. What the fuck does "Old Xbox 360" mean, anyway? The one in that video sounds like my launch 360. I got news for you, neither my Falcon or my Jasper are as loud as that. The slim sounds a lot like my Jasper. Of course, if you're 12 years old then maybe you can hear more of the high-pitched whine that you're complaining about.
From his other video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgts5V_0yG4

About 28 secs in, you can read the manufacturing date and which HDD it has...it is a launch unit, not a Jasper. No HDMI. I know the Jasper is quieter then this.

My Jasper (that I just traded in) whines like a motherfucker and I'm 42 years old. It is definitely a Jasper because it has the lower spec power supply that only works with Jasper systems.

I'm 99.9% sure that some Jaspers use shittier fans (cheap bearings) than others.

Beer Monkey said:
My Jasper (that I just traded in) whines like a motherfucker and I'm 42 years old. It is definitely a Jasper because it has the lower spec power supply that only works with Jasper systems.

I'm 99.9% sure that some Jaspers use shittier fans (cheap bearings) than others.

Yeah, those Jaspers are still pretty noisy (due to cheap ass fans Microsoft used), I have a recent Jasper (Final Fantasy edition) and they are as noisy as my old launch Elite unit that I traded in. It really is depend on the unit you get, my brother in law got a 360 last year and his is as quiet as the 360S I got last week.

But yeah, I really enjoy the new model. It's a joy to watch movies espeically on Netflix and not hearing the constant whining of the fans.

see5harp

Seriously watching Netflix and listening to Last.fm has never been more relaxing. After using my launch 360 until recently, hearing absolutely nothing from my console is so awesome. Not sure if it's much better than the Jasper, but I'm pretty happy with the new system.

see5harp

Olivero said:
So, any word on how to transfer old HD info to the new one? Search offered me nothing.

You need the cable if you wanna go directly from the hard drive, which costs $15. Otherwise, you can just use a usb drive to get most of the stuff off.

Olivero

see5harp said:
You need the cable if you wanna go directly from the hard drive, which costs $15. Otherwise, you can just use a usb drive to get most of the stuff off.

I have the transfer cable from Microsoft for upgrading to an Elite. Good to know it will work again.

mintylurb

Here's how my falcon, jasper and jasper units I tested sounded like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXgpxksMso4

Not much different from the video linked by agent and that ever-present whine noise was the reason why I got a 360s.
Beer Monkey said:

Haha. I'm not quite as old as you are but yeah that 12 years old comment was rather unnecessary.

see5harp

Olivero said:
I have the transfer cable from Microsoft for upgrading to an Elite. Good to know it will work again.

Yup. My dumb ass threw that away for some reason and I had to do like 3 separate transfers via flash drive.

Olivero

see5harp said:
Yup. My dumb ass threw that away for some reason and I had to do like 3 separate transfers via flash drive.

I hold onto every cable I get . Also twist ties, those things are wonderful.

SonComet

CIMG1878-1.jpg

CIMG1880.jpg

Sending it back to amazon for a refund. My old 2007 360 is still going strong, but it's my brother's now and was formatted. I just lost all of my save files, sigh. I was almost through dragon age and bioshock 2. Annoying to say the least... My first 360 death, I made sure to get pictures, lmao. The hdd started making horrible grinding noises and then kaput.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Damn... MS hasn't learn from their mistake. =/

*hugs white 360* Thanks god I don't use you a lot, so I know that when I do, you will not die on me. :D

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Somewhat of a worry seeing pictures like that on the day I convince myself to get one. So close to launch also.

Anyhow, anyone know if wireless adds a noticeable amount of latency?

SonComet said:
I just lost all of my save files, sigh. I was almost through dragon age and bioshock 2. Annoying to say the least... My first 360 death, I made sure to get pictures, lmao. The hdd started making horrible grinding noises and then kaput.
Wait, the harddrive crapped out? Over the years I've heard of tons of 360s having overheating issues, broken DVD drives, etc, but this is the first time I've ever seen an Xbox 360 harddrive failure.

theultimo

a Master Ninja said:
Wait, the harddrive crapped out? Over the years I've heard of tons of 360s having overheating issues, broken DVD drives, etc, but this is the first time I've ever seen an Xbox 360 harddrive failure.
the smaller formfactor combined with the heat could give it a major problem. THe org. HD was bolted on on the top with enough cooling, maybe the HD is melting in the 360? Makes me worry a little.

SonComet

Lighting Gels said:
It's HDD what is broken.
Maybe there is a way to recover your data.

Console itself is not broken though.
Good luck :)
ups is picking it up tomorrow and I'll buy a new one at frys after work. I forgot to mention the fans were randomly going into psychotic turbine mode yesterday and the console froze a few times. Fans were fine today, but hdd was making the worst scratching and grinding noises. Incredibly loud grinding and the console was vibrating really bad. Now when it turns on the hdd doesn't even start, I think the hdd is dead permanently.

Vormund

Actually I'm not kidding, it can work in certain situations.

Basically, if the drive is not spinning properly, then freezing it causes the metal platter to shrink ever so slightly to get it moving. You only have a limited time to recover the data before it warms up again.

Beer Monkey said:

Mine is also pretty loud, not as loud as some of the xboxs ive had but i can hear it. Ill be trading it in for a slim in a few weeks when they come out over here.

tirant

theultimo said:
the smaller formfactor combined with the heat could give it a major problem. THe org. HD was bolted on on the top with enough cooling, maybe the HD is melting in the 360? Makes me worry a little.

That would be a long-term problem. This happened just after purchase, so It could be just a problem with a bad HD or careless transportation.

JambiBum

tirant said:
That would be a long-term problem. This happened just after purchase, so It could be just a problem with a bad HD or careless transportation.

The way I see some packages thrown around from trailers to delivery trucks and what not at my job I wouldn't be surprised if it was careless handling with some hardware failures on any console.

I traded in my 360 on the 21st, and my GameStop still claims they haven't gotten any Slims in stock. I've supposedly been the first one on the list to get one when they arrive the whole time, so have they really not gotten any in or are they selling them without letting me know?

expy said:
What? :lol

It works, but you gotta use the freezer and make sure to put the drive into a ziplock bag obviously. It only works when the HDD issue is unrelated to the electronics themselves and has to do with the platter and head.

Google "freezer trick"

Dosia

UltimateIke said:
I traded in my 360 on the 21st, and my GameStop still claims they haven't gotten any Slims in stock. I've supposedly been the first one on the list to get one when they arrive the whole time, so have they really not gotten any in or are they selling them without letting me know?
I traded in and paid for the new slim on the 17th and game stop is still telling me next week is when they get the 2nd batch. First batch was only 4 consoles.

th3dude

UltimateIke said:

You aren't alone. I reserved one on the 17th (first reserve) and they are telling me the 9th of July.

Pre-orderded my S today (PAL), what's this about saves getting deleted when transferring? Is there a clear guide to succesfully moving stuff across by usb?

Forbiden

BigNastyCurve said:
Why are you all preordering these things? Get to your local Walmarts, peoples!

Or Best Buy. Last time I went to a Best Buy to grab some games they had a bunch of them(probably like 20) just sitting there for people to take. It's amazing how these retailers have so many yet apparently some gamestops still can't get decent stock on them.

BigNastyCurve said:
Why are you all preordering these things? Get to your local Walmarts, peoples!
Those of us that preordered took advantage of GameStop's trade in deal to get rid of our old, loud, multi-refurb units.

JesseZao

Forbiden said:
Or Best Buy. Last time I went to a Best Buy to grab some games they had a bunch of them(probably like 20) just sitting there for people to take. It's amazing how these retailers have so many yet apparently some gamestops still can't get decent stock on them.

Trade-in Offers.

For being the default videogame specialty store, Gamestop has never had anything to write home about in terms of supply presence. Probably on account of dividing it's stock through 10x the amount of stores retail warehouses have to.

leng jai

Picked up mine yesterday. Only ended up paying about $40 AUD after trading in my old Elite and 5 PS3 games.

Looks quite nice in person but I still wish it was a matte finish. Wifi works flawlessly but I'm only using G at the moment since I've got an older router. The ding on the disc drive is highly addictive too since I've been hearing it a lot while installing every game under the sun on the 250GB HDD.

The only problem I have is that I kind of screwed myself over with achievements. With my Elite I hadn't used Xbox Live for about a year since my setup changed to wifi only. Of course my achievements hadn't updated for ages because of this. Anyway I did transfer my profile/saves onto USB beforehand and the saves transferred over fine. However when I tried to transfer my profile over it said something had failed and that I need to recover my Gamer Tag again. I did this and it only recovered my old one again (which hadn't been logged on to Live for a year) and overwrote the profile I had moved over form USB. Stupidly I chose "move" instead of "copy" so of course now I have lost it forever. Oh well, its only achievements I guess, but still annoying.

sammy

looks like I just RROD just in time for one of these badboys...... time to save up ... *sigh*

time to play through IL 2 Sturmovik one mo time! heeeaaallll yeaaww boy!

Son of Godzilla said:
For being the default videogame specialty store, Gamestop has never had anything to write home about in terms of supply presence. Probably on account of dividing it's stock through 10x the amount of stores retail warehouses have to.

This. When I worked for a larger employer, our system shipments would be at least 10-20 at a time. At smaller shops like Gamestop, we see six at most. When we sell those, six more might come in, depending on how quickly we sold them. If it took a while to sell out, they'll send us less because what's the point of us hoarding hundreds of dollars worth of electronics?

Gav

Quick question for when i go get mine when its out here.
If im transferring my data over via usb storage, am I gonna need something big or will 2GB suffice? Itd just be my profiles and game saves i transfer. All my games and DLC would be downloaded again on the new console.

Im not sure how big the save files are, and i'll be trading in one XBox for the other, so wont have both consoles at once. (ie data to mem stick > wipe HDD > new XB > transfer data).

Denzar

Pre ordered mine, but June 16th is still so far away... :(

I hope Europe gets it way sooner.... I need to play those games I missed NAO.

Top Bottom