• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

IIRC, the entire SP campaign in Squadron 42 is playable from beginning to end. At what level of fidelity and polish that is at is a whole other question though.

I don't believe this only because this information about the campaign being entirely in white/grey box came out around the same time that CR said 3.0 by December 2016. I WANT to believe it, but after years of following this closely, I don't.

I don't believe this only because this information about the campaign being entirely in white/grey box came out around the same time that CR said 3.0 by December 2016. I WANT to believe it, but after years of following this closely, I don't.

S42 is a scripted experience. Comparing it to the PU isn't the greatest of ideas. Not to mention they elaborated on the cause of delay and S42 is not outsourced, so again, not a valid comparison.

S42 is a scripted experience. Comparing it to the PU isn't the greatest of ideas. Not to mention they elaborated on the cause of delay and S42 is not outsourced, so again, not a valid comparison.

I'm not comparing them at all, i understand they are two completely different components or games that have different needs. For example the subsumption system isnt nearly as important for Sq42 as it is for the PU, obviously. Im simply saying that the information came from the same source, and CR has proven time and time again to be a horrid source of information/timelines. When he says that the entire Sq42 campaign is in white box I immediately assume that it's not true.

Zalusithix

Behold, the CLAW.
y4e2W8Z.png

To feed the grinder.
CkYGRkz.png

I'm not comparing them at all, i understand they are two completely different components or games that have different needs. For example the subsumption system isnt nearly as important for Sq42 as it is for the PU, obviously. Im simply saying that the information came from the same source, and CR has proven time and time again to be a horrid source of information/timelines. When he says that the entire Sq42 campaign is in white box I immediately assume that it's not true.

I understand not taking it at face value when talking about timelines but stating the S42 is playable or certain elements are finished is a totally different thing than stating a timeline. You make it seem as if CIG is lying for the hell of it. Timelines shift, that is a given because of the work they do, stating something is in a playable form when it isn't would be a blatant lie and that is something that they haven't done.

Behold, the CLAW.

tumblr_m8h9rs4O8H1qlh1s6o1_500.gif

Zalusithix

Son-of-a-bitch, that is amazing.

I wonder how long the elevator / lift platform ride takes to get from the ground up into the beast. I think the belly of that thing is higher up than the second floor of the R&Y hangar lol.

There was also what looked to be a glimpse at the F8 cockpit in an interaction prototype demonstration, but I think it is outdated. Looks less modern than the F7A teases, and the F8 is supposed to be newer.

And speaking of interaction, the new system is looking like it's shaping up really nice. Doesn't make for particularly impressive screenshots, but the improvement from the dark USE days is remarkable.

AWWWW YIS
SMAA integration is finally happening (you could even see the improper text ghosting due to RTT not being fully integrated for inner thought), let's hope they update it beyond the base SDK implementation and move toward a more modern TAA like that found in Ryse, Lumberyard or otherwise. Also it means that they will finally have to fix the motion blur errors because temporal AA does not work on the objects that have broken mb anyway. YIS. Check out that r_displayinfo:

Also I loved this studio update :)
vlcsnap-2017-05-12-17k5ufg.png

vlcsnap-2017-05-12-170cuo0.png

vlcsnap-2017-05-12-1776uc1.png

Daedardus

AWWWW YIS
SMAA integration is finally happening (you could even see the improper text ghosting due to RTT not being fully integrated for inner thought), let's hope they update it beyond the base SDK implementation and move toward a more modern TAA like that found in Ryse, Lumberyard or otherwise. Also it means that they will finally have to fix the motion blur errors because temporal AA does not work on the objects that have broken mb anyway. YIS. Check out that r_displayinfo:]

7drHiqr.gif

Yes, best news of the last two years. Now only those female models...

I understand not taking it at face value when talking about timelines but stating the S42 is playable or certain elements are finished is a totally different thing than stating a timeline. You make it seem as if CIG is lying for the hell of it. Timelines shift, that is a given because of the work they do, stating something is in a playable form when it isn't would be a blatant lie and that is something that they haven't done.

I'm sorry, but yes I do think that sometimes they lie for the hell of it, because they have to. They wouldn't have hit their fiscal goal if Chris hadn't said 3.0 by December and made no changes to "Answer the Call 2016" before mid December. I understand timelines shift, but there is no way on this earth Chris thought 3.0 or Sq42 were hitting the end of year date in October with as much work as they obviously had left to do.

Great update from the UK team

That input revamp seriously impressed me. Star Citizen is becoming more like a real Adventure game with this. That it has this, integrated in this manner, creates a lot of possibilities moving forward. I'm very passionate by UI and UX so it's good to see.

The old input system looked like something you'd see in Elder Scrolls / Fallout 3-4. I feel Elder Scrolls is the closest but much more limited, and it's certainly true that those Bethesda games make it annoying and a lot of work to pick up things.
I loved what Bethesda tried to do with the sandbox elements in Fallout 4 with building your own sanctuary. But the hassle and manner of how you did it, felt counter intuitive and I lost interest in the process because of all the extra steps and trial and error.

You have to walk directly up to an item, look at it specifically and then hope you can pick it up, and then move it and put it down somewhere else- if you can put it down correctly. Which is often hard, because virtually all FPS are a floating camera.

These are the things that excite me about Star Citizen. A lot of other people are into the Sim aspects of flight or shooting or exploration, but for me, these are the narrow details that have never been done in gaming before, and I personally see SC as a benchmark to move other games forward.

I'm sick of shooters being a floating camera with fake animations during 1-3 person transitions. I'm sick of all the bullshit context sensistive bullshit we still see in all games, where you interact with something with one button ("press X to Awesome") and that being the depth and breathe of the gameplay.
The fact that you can micro manage things at such a level- the way you flip on and off controls, buttons, hinges, hangars, switches, locks- This is what immerses you in the world and makes you feel like you have a visceral control.
People should be up in arms over this, but I think (unfortunately) for a lot of gamers, they do not think about these subtilties, but are more easily responding to flashy graphics or upsetting drama news. Which is a shame.
We all know that graphics and presentation is not the problem; It's the stagnation in interface design, AI, input and navigation that has held gaming back, but these elements are not easily visible or explained to the masses, and as a result, you end up with hordes of gamers who complain about games being more of the same with flashier graphics, but who still only click and watch things activated by pretty graphics and slick presentation.

Daedardus

Lighting on ship, mainly the bounce light from ground to the ship.
Subtle, but needed for ship to fit in the environment.

I think it also is more noticeable in motion, static images of lighting are always hard to compare.

Yeah man this is the thread for low-key buzz marketing hundred-plus-dollar microtransactions for an unreleased game, take your negativity somewhere else

I mean, how does drive-by posting solve anything regarding that post. :p

Pomerlaw

Since you guys explained it I see it clearly now. ;P

What has been seen cannot be unseen. First pic looks like the ship is over a background.

tuxfool

Banned
Can't see a difference beside the first pic has more contrast.

Not to single you out here but this is kind of the issue with a lot of effects, when people say they don't see them, they mischaracterize what is happening visually.

You'll note that the ship is picking up reflected colour/light off from the ground. If you were to average the colour on the bottom of the ship in each of the images, you'd see that the second one would be more brown and the first one more grey.

pottuvoi

Banned
I think it also is more noticeable in motion, static images of lighting are always hard to compare.
Yes.
A lot also depends on details of the technique they are using.

As they have night and day cycle, probes must be periodically updated..
If they take account of static lighting from outposts and self illuminating objects, we might see some quite nice light bounce during night. (Flying above rivers of lava etc})

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
That input revamp seriously impressed me. Star Citizen is becoming more like a real Adventure game with this. That it has this, integrated in this manner, creates a lot of possibilities moving forward. I'm very passionate by UI and UX so it's good to see.

The old input system looked like something you'd see in Elder Scrolls / Fallout 3-4. I feel Elder Scrolls is the closest but much more limited, and it's certainly true that those Bethesda games make it annoying and a lot of work to pick up things.
I loved what Bethesda tried to do with the sandbox elements in Fallout 4 with building your own sanctuary. But the hassle and manner of how you did it, felt counter intuitive and I lost interest in the process because of all the extra steps and trial and error.

You have to walk directly up to an item, look at it specifically and then hope you can pick it up, and then move it and put it down somewhere else- if you can put it down correctly. Which is often hard, because virtually all FPS are a floating camera.

These are the things that excite me about Star Citizen. A lot of other people are into the Sim aspects of flight or shooting or exploration, but for me, these are the narrow details that have never been done in gaming before, and I personally see SC as a benchmark to move other games forward.

I'm sick of shooters being a floating camera with fake animations during 1-3 person transitions. I'm sick of all the bullshit context sensistive bullshit we still see in all games, where you interact with something with one button ("press X to Awesome") and that being the depth and breathe of the gameplay.
The fact that you can micro manage things at such a level- the way you flip on and off controls, buttons, hinges, hangars, switches, locks- This is what immerses you in the world and makes you feel like you have a visceral control.
People should be up in arms over this, but I think (unfortunately) for a lot of gamers, they do not think about these subtilties, but are more easily responding to flashy graphics or upsetting drama news. Which is a shame.
We all know that graphics and presentation is not the problem; It's the stagnation in interface design, AI, input and navigation that has held gaming back, but these elements are not easily visible or explained to the masses, and as a result, you end up with hordes of gamers who complain about games being more of the same with flashier graphics, but who still only click and watch things activated by pretty graphics and slick presentation.

Yeah, the UI stuff in the latest Around the Verse looked really cool to me, too. I hope it's coming to the public release very soon if they're showing it off as much as they are. It'll be one of the many things that sets Star Citizen apart from other games.

KKRT00

Yeah, the UI stuff in the latest Around the Verse looked really cool to me, too. I hope it's coming to the public release very soon if they're showing it off as much as they are. It'll be one of the many things that sets Star Citizen apart from other games.

It will be in 3.0.

Zalusithix

Going to be many eyes on them on how they handle the retroactive removal of existing $0 CCUs.

In the end they waited way too long to address this issue. If this was a problem for them, it would have been immediately obvious long ago. That they've let it continue for so long unabated and only now want to do something about it (in broad strokes no less)...

Zabojnik

C_-1-7jVwAA0sSN.jpg:large

LA office voting on the collector's edition box. If this isn't a sign we're getting SQ42
demo
this year, I don't know what is.

For better context, could you guys enlighten me as to what a CCU is?

Cross Chasis upgrade. If you bought a $100 ship, didn't like it, and wanted another $100 ship you could buy a "CCU" for $0. This way you could switch between ships without making another purchase. People were abusing this system and buying hundreds (or thousands) of CCU's because if you bought one you don't have to use it right away. They would hold onto it until the second ship in the example had gone up in price by a significant amount, then getting to upgrade it for free. Thry could then melt it and essentially make free money. CIG realized this was a flaw so they thought they would instead charge people to do this with a minimum $5 fee. People freaked out, such as myself, because it added $5 more to all upgrades and punished those who didn't abuse the system with what felt like a money grab from a company that already has $150million in funding. Seeing the backlash CIG now has made a compromise where $0 CCU's will cease to exist, and those already purchased will expire. Basically all this does it remove the option to abuse the system without tacking on a $5 fee.

Velorath

Cross Chasis upgrade. If you bought a $100 ship, didn't like it, and wanted another $100 ship you could buy a "CCU" for $0. This way you could switch between ships without making another purchase. People were abusing this system and buying hundreds (or thousands) of CCU's because if you bought one you don't have to use it right away. They would hold onto it until the second ship in the example had gone up in price by a significant amount, then getting to upgrade it for free. Thry could then melt it and essentially make free money. CIG realized this was a flaw so they thought they would instead charge people to do this with a minimum $5 fee. People freaked out, such as myself, because it added $5 more to all upgrades and punished those who didn't abuse the system with what felt like a money grab from a company that already has $150million in funding. Seeing the backlash CIG now has made a compromise where $0 CCU's will cease to exist, and those already purchased will expire. Basically all this does it remove the option to abuse the system without tacking on a $5 fee.

If ever there was a system that deserved to get abused, it's when a company makes the bulk of their money selling digital spaceships, some of which still only exist on paper, and all of which are subject to change, and that company wants to make sure that when they jack up the price on one of those ships that nobody can get around paying the difference if they want to switch.

I'm being a bit snarky here, but this is a problem that only exists because CIG's business plan is almost entirely selling in-game items for a game that's not remotely close to being finished and people didn't want to feel locked-in to a ship that could end up wildly different from what they thought they were buying. Really CIG could just make every ship available to players up until the point the game leaves Beta and then require people to finalize what ships their "donations" go to as the game goes live, but that of course would hurt ship sales even though people are ostensibly supposed to be donating to support development rather than actually buying ships.

If ever there was a system that deserved to get abused, it's when a company makes the bulk of their money selling digital spaceships, some of which still only exist on paper, and all of which are subject to change, and that company wants to make sure that when they jack up the price on one of those ships that nobody can get around paying the difference if they want to switch.

I'm being a bit snarky here, but this is a problem that only exists because CIG's business plan is almost entirely selling in-game items for a game that's not remotely close to being finished and people didn't want to feel locked-in to a ship that could end up wildly different from what they thought they were buying. Really CIG could just make every ship available to players up until the point the game leaves Beta and then require people to finalize what ships their "donations" go to as the game goes live, but that of course would hurt ship sales even though people are ostensibly supposed to be donating to support development rather than actually buying ships.

It is not snarky, just silly. The reason they are doing this is because it affects the content creation going forward. Most ships are available. And lastly, no one has to buy any of the ships at all. They can be earned in game. Hence, like the disclaimer they have put on every ship sale, it is to support development but not needed for players to enjoy game. And as far as making every ship available, the amount of free flights and ship availability is very often, not to mention the ability to rent ship with Rec. Added to this, is the sheer fact that most in the community is willing to share. I and many others I have seen on the PU, have answered requests to allow people to fly a particular ship if it is what we own. The desire to own every ship is not something that is needed, that should be promoted, or is a feasible idea during game.

Edit: To be honest, this is something they and other posters have pointed out for years now and given your previous posts this just seems like a continuation of a slant you have put out before. If you were really interested in following the game I wouldn't have had to explain this to you though, would I?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Is that handwriting from a 3 year old?

It's hard to write by hand when you do nothing but type all day. (Not sarcastic; it feels harder for me to handwrite anymore and it's probably because I type all the time in my life now.)

B is totally better, by the way. The ship pops off the box more and it doesn't look washed out.

I'm hyped that they're getting boxes ready — metal ones, no less! — but why did they put the ugliest ship in the game on them? Ugh! Put anything else on there.

Zalusithix

It's hard to write by hand when you do nothing but type all day. (Not sarcastic; it feels harder for me to handwrite anymore and it's probably because I type all the time in my life now.)

B is totally better, by the way. The ship pops off the box more and it doesn't look washed out.

I'm hyped that they're getting boxes ready — metal ones, no less! — but why did they put the ugliest ship in the game on them? Ugh! Put anything else on there.

Unless they've changed their minds, it's one of four different boxes that when put together form a whole.

e6b4e_Star_Citizen_Box_large.jpg

The metal box without color was showed off quite some time ago too, so this is just yet another small step. Honestly I've stopped caring. Sacrificed my physical goods package for better digital content. I've got a number of special edition boxes from crowdfunded games now, and every last one of them is just taking up room in a closet. Fancy boxes take up too much room for what little use they serve.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Unless they've changed their minds, it's one of four different boxes that when put together form a whole.

e6b4e_Star_Citizen_Box_large.jpg

The metal box without color was showed off quite some time ago too, so this is just yet another small step. Honestly I've stopped caring. Sacrificed my physical goods package for better digital content. I've got a number of special edition boxes from crowdfunded games now, and every last one of them is just taking up room in a closet. Fancy boxes take up too much room for what little use they serve.

Oh, right, I forgot about that. Thank God. Give me any of those other designs, LoL.

I still have my physical Hornet package from the Kickstarter and, damnit, I want my tchotchkes.

Top Bottom