• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - Valhalla reborn as Ragnarok

I don't recall piloting any mechs in prior Halo games, but then, I only played ODST and Reach once each and didn't touch Reach MP, so I may have repressed those memories. Unless I'm just an idiot and can't remember squat, no way those were in Halo 2 or 3, which I've played multiple times. (And Halo 1 is a given.) I'm just not a fan of vehicular combat, and I absolutely hate vehicles in multiplayer.

Oh well, such is life.

(But I too loved Valhalla. It's one of three maps in 3 I actually enjoyed, despite vehicles being there.)

Mechs were in Halo Wars, you didn't miss anything, they weren't in any of the shooters.

I was hoping the Mantis would be more agile, less powerful.
Oh well, still going to be fun!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
iXLdZ6in1ews1.gif

Yes.

Yes, it is.

The animation is just perfect. I could watch that GIF all day. Haha.

The others being The Pit and Avalanche?

Last Resort and Construct. I don't recall Avalanche, was that perhaps DLC or something big team? I pretty much stayed on Social Slayer with some very brief dabblings in ranked team matches.

Mechs were in Halo Wars, you didn't miss anything, they weren't in any of the shooters.

Ah, always meant to circle around and play that one, never got around to it.

EvB

Remember the DMR is in again and it has A LOT better range than the BR, Coag would be death in this game.

Also this

Wasn't Valhalla the replacement for Coagulation? I always thought Valhalla was a better map due to terrain

BLAZER

Ya, sadly not a fan of Mechs in Halo at all...

Map looks great though, i wonder how it will play out vs the original, with the all power ups and abilities you have in halo now (sigh).

Popeck

I really didn't like the new look of the water. Obviously tried shooting at it immediately and I dare say it didn't react like it used to react to the bullets. Frankie or someone else may correct me if I'm wrong, but that might have been one of the compromises they've made.

Highlaw

Banned
The Pit should come as DLC, it would be perfect (resize it if needed, I want that map)
I also liked Sandtrap.. oh well, perhaps we will see a remake in Halo5

Too early to rant but hey:
The Mantis is too powerful in every aspect...

-LoS. The cockpit is pretty high so you have a better shooting angle than every other (non-flying) vehicle. You can still move uphill and shoot anyone easily, unlike the scorpion/wraith
-Turning speed seems really adequate. At least better than any tank
-Same thing for movement
-Rocket pod + machine gun with only 1 driver
-Can't be flipped over
-Hardest vehicle on the game to assault. It has enough acceleration to run on a pinch and shoot you back, it can stomp you, and it has a really small deadzone (3 metre radius?)

Compare those defence mechanisms to a those of a scorpion. Not enough acceleration and canon turning speed to kill someone behind you without them crawling on you first. No stomp. Big dead zone around the tank where you can't shoot anyone.

It does look fun to pilot though

From the HaloGAF thread:
Frankie said:
Being in the Mantis makes you as powerful as a Titan on steroids, until anyone with a plasma pistol decides they have had enough of your crap. Or approaches from a massive cone to the rear of your area of effect, or runs away from you, or moves laterally out of the cone of your slowly rotating bulk. It's fun, it's dangerous, it is absolutely not OP.

Worth bearing in mind that you can put Plasma Pistols in your Loadouts, and the Mantis is going to be pretty hard to miss due to its size.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
map looks a little oversturated and washed out for my liking, but those rocks look amazing. i loved Valhalla, super excited to see it return. i'm a bit uneasy about the mech - sure its cool and bad ass, but definitely looks too bad ass.

of course then there is this

Being in the Mantis makes you as powerful as a Titan on steroids, until anyone with a plasma pistol decides they have had enough of your crap. Or approaches from a massive cone to the rear of your area of effect, or runs away from you, or moves laterally out of the cone of your slowly rotating bulk. It's fun, it's dangerous, it is absolutely not OP.

and

Haha. The Mantis is shown as a overpowered thing in the trailer. Believe me, it isn't.

Demon Ice

Banned
Map looks great, hoping the lighting is less bloomy during actual gameplay. Not that thrilled about Metal Gear being in Halo though. Looks OP as fuck. Not to mention out of place IMO.

KageMaru

Not completely sold on the mech, but will wait to play it before forming any opinions.

I really didn't like the new look of the water. Obviously tried shooting at it immediately and I dare say it didn't react like it used to react to the bullets. Frankie or someone else may correct me if I'm wrong, but that might have been one of the compromises they've made.

As long as it's as good as Reach, I'm good with that. I know a lot of people loved the water in Halo 3, as did I, but the physics were a bit....too exaggerated for realistic water properties. Sometimes it looked right, but other times it looked like jello. Wish I had access to my fileshare from Halo 3 so I could post some good examples of the physics not working in the game's favor.

From the HaloGAF thread:

Worth bearing in mind that you can put Plasma Pistols in your Loadouts, and the Mantis is going to be pretty hard to miss due to its size.

great, thanks for the quote, it being OP was one of my worries.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
As others have said, it wont be the same without Halo 3's excellent water physics.

I can pretty much guarantee that Halo 4 wont have them, as compromises had to be made somewhere to achieve the visuals. Even Reach did away with the great water to make room for other improvements. It's a real shame.

Maybe we will see awesome water again in Halo 5 on 720?

------

All that said, awesome trailer(aside from music), awesome map, awesome mech.

Monocle

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but the big Forerunner wall on the side of the map opposite the crashed Pelican almost looks like a gate.

Is it possible that Ragnarok is part of Forge World 2.0?

As others have said, it wont be the same without Halo 3's excellent water physics.

I can pretty much guarantee that Halo 4 wont have them, as compromises had to be made somewhere to achieve the visuals. Even Reach did away with the great water to make room for other improvements. It's a real shame.

Maybe we will see awesome water again in Halo 5 on 720?

------

All that said, awesome trailer(aside from music), awesome map, awesome mech.

I wonder because in the single player you can see the water act like HALO 3s. Maybe for mp its to keep fps high?

wwm0nkey

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but the big Forerunner wall on the side of the map opposite the crashed Pelican almost looks like a gate.

Is it possible that Ragnarok is part of Forge World 2.0?

No forge world in this game, it will be 3 separate maps.

This game looks fucking incredible, is it just me or is it a lot better looking than Reach? I haven't touched Reach in a long time so correct me if I'm wrong.

Really excited for this, the last Halo game I enjoyed a lot was 3.

Dreaver

Is it just me or is the map looking EXACTLY the same way except with a mech? I know it's a remake but most maps that were remade were re skinned or so as well.

Not saying it's a bad thing, I loved Valhalla.

I think that mech fits the halo universe rather well, long as we don't see tons of them or bigger gundamn styled ones, i'm cool with it.

I mean we have covenant tech like floating banshees and anti gravity sniper nests, nothing wrong with human mechanical tech being at mech level.

This game looks fucking incredible, is it just me or is it a lot better looking than Reach? I haven't touched Reach in a long time so correct me if I'm wrong.

Really excited for this, the last Halo game I enjoyed a lot was 3.

Reach looked good at release but since then something has happened, so many games are finding more polygons, it's like the leap we had visually back in 2009-ish where games suddenly took a turn and found that extra power.

Is it just me or is the map looking EXACTLY the same way except with a mech? I know it's a remake but most maps that were remade were re skinned or so as well.

Not saying it's a bad thing, I loved Valhalla.

There is some huge differences I can see from screenshot comparisons alone, the rocks are completely redone and look so much better, the bases are bigger too, if you change the layout you end up with a new map.

zlatko

Banned
Looks sharp. Worried the mech may be the new armor lock for this game though...

It's one thing on a big map to deal with a scorpion, but this thing looks far more deadly.

Monocle

They don't need to be anywhere near Forge World huge though.
Yeah, but still.

Actually, a greatly increased item budget would probably be better than a whole bunch of extra space. I hope 343 has optimized enough thingamajigs to make that happen. I used to hit the limit rather quickly in Forge World.

Khezu

I fucking hate giant robots.

That said, it could be interesting if only for what people do with it in custom games with forge.

Valhalla looks pretty boss, best map in Halo3 and WAY better then Blood Gulch.

Kibbles

I hope we can still hear the crack of snipers in the distance. They already downgraded the water and ground, please not the sound :s

Excellent, now for the next week instead of getting COD Halo comments, we'll get Metal Gear Halo comments. Excellent.

Looks awesome.

AlStrong

As long as it's as good as Reach, I'm good with that. I know a lot of people loved the water in Halo 3, as did I, but the physics were a bit....too exaggerated for realistic water properties. Sometimes it looked right, but other times it looked like jello. Wish I had access to my fileshare from Halo 3 so I could post some good examples of the physics not working in the game's favor.

You're nuts. When I walk through water, I want a 3 feet high wave that propagates 7 feet. When I shoot bullets, I want a giant splash. Armour needs to be buoyant instead of acting like a suit that's a metric ton with low surface area.

Then again, I also want to move as fast through water as I can in air.

ಠ_ಠ

MrDaravon

Seems like a weird choice, but hard to say without actually playing it.

I loved Valhalla and like it's inclusion here; looks fantastic, only thing that is bumming me out is that I really liked the lush greeness of the map. Here it looks like it's a lot of grass and sand patches, aesthetically it's just a bit of a bummer for me personally. Everything else looks great though.

Top Bottom