• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale [Up: Sony registers domain]

Well if the Long Live Play video is any indication of what characters are going to be in the rooster we should add.
- Lightning
- Paul from Tekken.
- The girl from Mirror's Edge.

That's an odd selection. FFVII was probably the most important game for the Playstation, so Cloud or Sephiroth would make much more sense than Lightning.
Jin Kazama would be a better choice than Paul and Mirror's Edge was pretty much a flop.

Edit: beaten.

That's an odd selection. FFVII was probably the most important game for the Playstation, so Cloud or Sephiroth would make much more sense than Lightning.
Jin Kazama would be a better choice than Paul and Mirror's Edge was pretty much a flop.

Edit: beaten.

And? Cloud is more of a pull for fans. Squall is a bigger pull than Lightning. Its all about 'legends'.

In Lightning's case, you should think: ¿What characters would Square want me to put in a fanservice game?. Cloud? Squall? No, obviously Lightning. The reasons are clear.
In Paul's case, I don't know, maybe it was what Namco would gave them for free. Same case in the Mirror's Edge girl.

SykoTech

It's been a while, but I don't remember Faith from Mirror's Edge being in the commerical. Chell from Portal was there though. Along with Ezio.

And Old Snake, of course

I'd go with PlayStation Crossover Chaos

Just so it could be spelled like this
bhOBs.jpg

Quoting because this is much better than the other stuff so far.

In Lightning's case, you should think: ¿What characters would Square want me to put in a fanservice game?. Cloud? Squall? No, obviously Lightning. The reasons are clear.
In Paul's case, I don't know, maybe it was what Namco would gave them for free. Same case in the Mirror's Edge girl.

3rd parties are numpties if they don't want their characters in a game for free. Its promotion.

For the first game in the series, you'd obviously want the 'big ones' to set the series rolling. Then DLC, unlocks and sequels are for the 'please put this in' characters. For example, Noctis would be a good one to add to the game to promote Versus XIII before it launches.

ascii42

Outside of the Fire Emblem characters, they are all pretty iconic if you had any NES 80's culture and were around the SNES era.

But making a roster for an all-star brawler does not mean you need 20 iconic characters. It works best with a mix of icons, sleepers, and straight up niche.
And characters from the Playstation are iconic if you were around during the Playstation era. I don't see how pulling stuff from 10 years ago is somehow different when it's Playstation stuff vs Nintendo stuff.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
And characters from the Playstation are iconic if you were around during the Playstation era. I don't see how pulling stuff from 10 years ago is somehow different when it's Playstation stuff vs Nintendo stuff.

Those would all be third party characters though. Sony didn't really have any iconic first party characters during the PS1 era (no, Crash and Spyro were not first party), maybe besides Parappa and Sir Daniel Fortesque, and to a lesser degree Gabe Logan (but he'd just fall under the 'generic white guy with a gun' label anyway).

Endo Punk

Playstation Battle Royale and Sony Battle Opera are SO good titles. I want to see this game so it can resurrect characters that I loved in Playstations past like Ape Escape ones and Parappa, Bushido Blade etc.

Don't get me wrong I love Nintendo but Playstation came out when I was in my awakening stage as a gamer and have fond memories with a lot of their IP's, after SEGA. Such a title would be made for me, my only concern is if it's half-arsed.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Those would all be third party characters though. Sony didn't really have any iconic first party characters during the PS1 era (no, Crash and Spyro were not first party), maybe besides Parappa and Sir Daniel Fortesque, and to a lesser degree Gabe Logan (but he'd just fall under the 'generic white guy with a gun' label anyway).

Spike I think, I remember that Sony official dealer/seller in my country used him as it's official mascot after Ape Escape release was so popular during that time, also Alundra.

you might not like Sony's characters and think they are crap, but I believe for the die hard PlayStation fans ( target audience for this game I think) there are many great first party characters from many first party games they released during PSone and PS2 era.

Don't get me wrong I love Nintendo but Playstation came out when I was in my awakening stage as a gamer and have fond memories with a lot of their IP's, after SEGA. Such a title would be made for me, my only concern is if it's half-arsed.

I was a SEGA boy in the 90s, so between Nintendo and Sony I really prefer Sony's characters.

Combichristoffersen

Spike I think, I remember that Sony official dealer/seller in my country used him as it's official mascot after Ape Escape release was so popular during that time, also Alundra.

That's a good suggestion, although personally I wouldn't really call Spike 'iconic'. I'd forgotten about the Ape Escape series, actually. How big were those games outside Japan?

you might not like Sony's characters and think they are crap, but I believe if someone a die hard PlayStation fans ( target audience for this game I think) then there are many great first party characters from many first party games they released during PSone and PS2 era.

I like Sony's characters (far moreso than Nintendo's characters) and have been a card-carrying Sony fan since the PS1, but I don't really think Sony has characters that are anywhere near Nintendo in terms of mainstream recognition and icon status.

But at least they're better off than Microsoft who have basically have none but Master Chief, Fable dude, Banjo/Kazooie, Conker, Joanna Dark and Blinx, and out of those only Master Chief and Banjo/Kazooie are really iconic.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
That's a good suggestion, although personally I wouldn't really call Spike 'iconic'. I'd forgotten about the Ape Escape series, actually. How big were those games outside Japan?

I really don't know, but if it was about sales then Mother/Earthbound boys will never hit Super Smash.

There are other characters that were -let say- very known during the PSone ( since with "iconic" you want Mario/Mickey Mouse/Sonic level of popularity) like Toro and Kruo (official PS pocket mascots for PSone) Alundra (used to be called Link of Playstation back then),Sir Daniel Fortsque,Parappa the Rapper also Arc (Arc the Lad) and Rosco McQueen and other..they can bring them back in this game for nostalgia.

Anyway I really believe this game first and foremost is for PlayStation die hard fans and the people how grow up or start gaming with PSone and PS2 during the past 15 years, if someone don't know Sony games and characters and not attached to them then simply it's really not for him (same with Naruto games for an example).

Combichristoffersen

I really don't know, but if it was about sales then Mother/Earthbound boys will never hit Super Smash.

There are other characters that were -let say- very known during the PSone ( since with "iconic" you want Mario/Mickey Mouse/Sonic level of popularity) like Toro and Kruo (official PS pocket mascots for PSone) Alundra (used to be called Link of Playstation back then),Sir Daniel Fortsque,Parappa the Rapper also Arc (Arc the Lad)..then can be bring back in this game for nostalgia.

Anyway I really believe this game first and foremost is for PlayStation die hard fans and the people how grow up or start gaming with PSone and PS2 during the past 15 years, if someone don't know Sony games and characters and not attached to them then simply it's really not for him (same with Naruto games for an example).

Toro and Kuro have never been used extensively outside Japan for some reason (fuck you SCEE and SCEA, I want mah goddam Sonycats), so they might be a tad too obscure, but it would be nice to have them in the game, sure. Do Sony own Alundra and Arc the Lad?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Toro and Kuro have never been used extensively outside Japan for some reason (fuck you SCEE and SCEA, I want mah goddam Sonycats), so they might be a tad too obscure, but it would be nice to have them in the game, sure. Do Sony own Alundra and Arc the Lad?

They own them.

To be honest with you here, it's mostly SCE strategy fault for this lack of popularity, Sony kill their IPs when they jump to a new Playstation and start with new set of IPs ( PSone famous titles didn't go to PS2, most of PS2 IPs didn't go to PS3) so with this they cut the relationship between the fans and their characters pretty quickly and with that it's not possible to have any "iconic" or classic characters that everyone know.

Combichristoffersen

They own them.

To be honest with you here, it's mostly SCE strategy fault for this lack of popularity, Sony kill their IPs when they jump to new Playstation and start with new set of IPs ( PSone famous titles didn't go to PS2, most of PS2 IPs didn't go to PS3) so with this they cut the relationship between the fans and their characters pretty quickly and with that it's not possible to have any "iconic" or classic characters that everyone know.

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier in the thread. Sony has had a tendency to kill off their IPs when transitioning between consoles, for some reason.

Radius

I really hope they will use this as a possibility to assess how popular their older franchises still are - another appearance of Sir Dan, the Tomba guy, the Mark of Kri guy and some others are overdue.

And a stage based on Flower would be brilliant.

Comet

They own them.

To be honest with you here, it's mostly SCE strategy fault for this lack of popularity, Sony kill their IPs when they jump to a new Playstation and start with new set of IPs ( PSone famous titles didn't go to PS2, most of PS2 IPs didn't go to PS3) so with this they cut the relationship between the fans and their characters pretty quickly and with that it's not possible to have any "iconic" or classic characters that everyone know.

I kind of find this refreshing to tell you the truth.

I don't know man. That Olly Moss cover for R3 was pretty defined. If you left out the title I'm sure most gamers would know it was Resistance.

Resistance honestly has like zero name or brand recognition outside pretty dedicated gamer circles.

Sony has goofy enough characters. Parappa, Vib Ribbon, you name it. The library stretches further than 2006.

I absolutely agree. I've actually been pretty enthusiastic about this thing in concept because I enjoy ironic fanservice brawling games. Just about the only thing that could ruin it for me is if there's some kind of foolish edict to use only PS3 characters (no matter how boring) rather than dip back into all the great PS2 and PS1 options.

SmithnCo

They are using PaRappa apparently, so I don't think they're afraid to not keep it PS3-only.

They also need an Ape Escape character.

KevinCow

Banned
Resistance honestly has like zero name or brand recognition outside pretty dedicated gamer circles.

I absolutely agree. I've actually been pretty enthusiastic about this thing in concept because I enjoy ironic fanservice brawling games. Just about the only thing that could ruin it for me is if there's some kind of foolish edict to use only PS3 characters (no matter how boring) rather than dip back into all the great PS2 and PS1 options.

I really think you're underselling Resistance. The first was a headlining launch title made by one of their top tier second-party (at the time, anyway) studios, and it was popular and successful enough to get two sequels, a PSP game, and an upcoming Vita game. It may not be character you plaster on the front of the box real big like Drake and Kratos, but I think it's still plenty worthy of a character.

I agree that they shouldn't neglect pre-PS3 era characters, but I don't think that's mutually exclusive with having a Resistance character.

sn00zer

The issue isnt what Sony has to pull from creatively, its going to be how the fuck is this going to play? Hoping for Smash, but Power Stone style might be fun

WillyFive

Focus on the gameplay first. If it's a good game and can be different enough from Smash Bros. so that people don't scoff at it and first glance and pick up Smash Bros. instead, then they could have real hit.

Gameplay is important.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Focus on the gameplay first. If it's a good game and can be different enough from Smash Bros. so that people don't scoff at it and first glance and pick up Smash Bros. instead, then they could have real hit.

Gameplay is important.

Yep. Make it fun, then make sure it runs solid. Then worry about the rest.

The issue isnt what Sony has to pull from creatively, its going to be how the fuck is this going to play? Hoping for Smash, but Power Stone style might be fun

Whatever the fuck they do, they need it to be possible to have several characters fighting at once. Bugger this game if it turns out to be Mortal Kombat Sony.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Whatever the fuck they do, they need it to be possible to have several characters fighting at once. Bugger this game if it turns out to be Mortal Kombat Sony.

I wonder if this is going to have a story mode, and how it would work.

I guess they could do it Fat Princess style. Teams of characters work together or against each other to reach goals. And the story is loosely used as a guide for the missions.

Has a non-Nintendo Smash Brothers genre (Smasher? Brawler? Competitive platformer?) game really ever caught on?

That Ubisoft TMNT game didn't make a splash.

A traditional fighting game would potentially have a built in audience in the FGC for the gameplay if it's decent, disregarding the arguments of Sony character brand recognition.

What does everyone have against a SF/MK game?

Is it that Smash Bros and that TMNT thing are the only ones in the genre?

Penguin

Has a non-Nintendo Smash Brothers genre (Smasher? Brawler? Competitive platformer?) game really ever caught on?

A traditional fighting game would potentially have a built in audience in the FGC for the gameplay if it's decent, disregarding the arguments of Sony character brand recognition.

There are others

I think Cartoon Network has one.. Cartoon Network Explosion XL or something
And I think Jump Superstars is also close to it?

SSReborn

I remember playing a Digimon equivalent for PS2 back in the day and I also remember a Shrek one a while back as well though I don't believe either were very popular

Drencrom

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2012/04/01/title-fight-will-be-presented-and-playable-at-e3-in-a-nearly-completed-form/ said:
- Nearly two dozen characters and stages are locked in.
- Something ambitious is being planned with Trophies in mind.
- Title Fight does have a story mode.

Sounds promising, wonder if they have added any third-party characters?
None have been confirmed yet.

- The stage “Bridge of Asylia from Lair” is no more

Good, why would they want to remind us of that game?

Seems like the devs (SuperBot) have updated their website, pretty: http://www.superbotentertainment.com/

KevinCow

Banned

There have been a bunch. Jump Super Stars, that TMNT one, a Cartoon Network one, an Onimusha one, a Viewtiful Joe one, a Japan-only one with Solid Snake, Optimus Prime, and Bomberman (which sounds way more awesome than it actually was).

The only one that ever caught on in any way was Jump Super Stars, which was successful enough to get a sequel, but never got out of Japan thanks to the mess it would've been to license all the Jump characters in other countries.

The rest didn't catch on because they were bad games. They were made by people who saw the success of Smash Bros. and copied it without understanding why Smash was popular and fun in the first place. They copied the superficial flashy and chaotic nature of Smash without capturing the underlying reason the flashy chaos in Smash is actually fun.

As far as Sony goes, though, I don't think they should just straight up copy Smash. If I were doing it, I'd probably take something like God of War's gameplay and adapt it into a multiplayer brawler. Same button layout: jump, weak and strong attacks, and grab on the face buttons; evade with the right stick; L1 to block, and hold L1 and press a face button to do power attacks; and hold R1 and press a face button to do special attacks. Relatively simple, but open enough to provide each character with a good variety of different attacks.

It would basically be a 3D multiplayer brawler like Power Stone, except with some semblance of complexity and depth.

Yes most definitely like the above poster said Jump and what not ect.

For some reason your post made me think of Onimusha blade warriors. Then I started to wonder if this game would go more in that direction.

Also didn't the unofficial website where we first heard about this game directly say that all of those rumored characters were already in the game.

Get Cloud in this game and I will buy it.

Actually, I'm not sure why Nintendo never tried for Cloud in SSBB. They got Snake. Imagine a Cloud announcement during those dojo days. Internet would have exploded.

Top Bottom