• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer is Dead (Grasshopper, 360/PS3) screens

Hiltz

Suda 51 comments on Killer is Dead development:

Development has already been ongoing for an extended period of time.It's the first game in the 'assassin' series that Grasshopper Manufacture has worked on in a while, a title that picks up where Killer7 and No More Heroes left off. It's [Killer is Dead] not trying to regress into the past.We're trying to make a game that we'd only be able to make right now, at this point in time. The result is seen in our unique high-contrast shading seen in the graphics, as well as the high speed wrestling-like action.It's the story of a man who doesn't show himself much in the public world, but still worms his way into society and mercilessly eliminates the evil dispersed in it. It's a personal story, not one that's conscious of the chaos going on in the real world at the moment, but you might get more than a taste of that in the end anyway.

Polygon details game story:

Set in a near-future where lunar tourism and cyber-enhancements have become commonplace, Killer is Dead stars Mondo Zappa, a 35-year-old man who suddenly receives a job offer from the Brian Execution Firm. An undercover national organization run by the half-cyborg Brian Roses, the group sends Mondo around the world in order to execute a variety of assassins, from cunningly evil geniuses to people who seem to actually seek out death at Mondo's hands.

If this sounds a bit like the plot of No More Heroes, then at least Mondo's no Travis Touchdown. A sort of cybernetic James Bond in terms of looks, the newbie executioner (whose sense of fashion would serve him well in the TV series Mad Men) has two weapons at hand: a sword in his right hand for close-quarters combat, and a weapon embedded in his left arm Mega Man-style that can be converted into guns, drills, and other objects as you go through the game. This cybernetic weapon can also absorb the blood of Mondo's enemies, letting him unleash a special "Adrenalin Burst" sword strike to one-hit kill his foes.

Game is scheduled for a Summer release in Japan. New Famitsu interview planned for it next week.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/16/38...ives-first-full-details-on-killer-is-dead-his

Dascu

Maybe?

They make all their games on UE3, so this is compatible, but someone would have to be interested in funding more versions.

I could see Kadokawa and Warner Bros. being willing to fund a WiiU version, maybe. Would personally love a PC release.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
which plattform are Suda51 games normally better on?

iavi

This about destroys the 'UE3 look' argument. Honestly might be one of the best looking Games this gen if it looks as good in motion.

Hiltz

I've not played NMH yet. Does he mean development wise, or series wise? Is NMH in the same universe as Killer 7?

Yes, just development-wise. All of Suda's games are in different universes. However, he's included some cameo appearances like the hotel manager in Flower,Sun, and Rain appearing in Killer7, but he didn't have any meaningful role in Killer7's plot.

It just means Suda is going back to focusing on original IPs that share similar themes in terms of assassin-based stories and some similar gameplay ideas. For example, the graphics in Killer is Dead sort of look like a hybrid of Killer7 meets No More Heroes while gameplay elements - like being able to absorb blood of your enemies - is something that was also featured in Killer7. Then you've got the wrestling similarity which of course, was introduced in No More Heroes. However, Killer7 also had a Mexican luchadore wrestler as one of the main characters. Suda likes mexican wrestling so it's a common thing he's put into some of his games, also Fire Pro Wrestling was the first game Suda 51 worked on.

EVA.jpg

Uncanny.

Dantis

Looks superb.

As a side-note, I'd love Persona 5 to use this shading style. It would fit Soejima's at perfectly.

SerRodrik

Alright, I'm interested. Love the artstyle. I actually still haven't played a Suda game, although I've always admired what I've seen of their madness.

Oemenia

Banned
Not only does it look awesome but its great to hear that Grasshopper havent abandoned the PS3/360. Maybe the decent sales of Lollipop Chainsaw despite being a mediocre game was the reason since its safe to assume it got the push it did after the quality of SotD.

iavi

They usually use UE3 these days, which almost always performs better on 360.

This isn't true for the NMH port though, but that was before they switched to being an Unreal company.

It being UE3 means an easy mode PC port if the publisher wants/allows. Who's publishing?

Tain

I really like the look. I hope it's as good as Killer7. It would be a bummer for a game that looks like this to be anything but Suda's best game.

joe2187

Banned
If you have a Move, yes. If you don't, you might as well just play the Wii version. Dual Shock controls are terrible for it, and the game is littered with more bugs and fps issue than the Wii original.

I have a move, but not the Navigation controller, since it was a gift and I've never used Move for any game besides Dead Space

Is it good with just the Move wand?

Persona86

Banned
Looks superb.

As a side-note, I'd love Persona 5 to use this shading style. It would fit Soejima's at perfectly.

Hmm I don't know, this one looks a bit too greasy. I would prefer the clearer Catherine style more, or maybe a blend between the two would be perfect. :)

I have a feeling they will do it right, no matter what they choose.

Dosn't sound like the plot is like Killer 7 but more like NMH.

Do not want.

As long as Suda at least touches on the surreal mood Killer 7 and his earlier works were full of, I'll be happy. That tone has really been missing from his latest games. No More Heroes reached it a few times, but it was close to gone in No More Heroes 2. I really want him to move back to that style, at least for one or two games.

daakusedo

It looked more killer7 with the low quality scans and I was already thinking no more heroes style was prominent. It's probably over for something so minimal. Now I'm ok for a more complex nmh gameplay, but not too sure they will do it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
They usually use UE3 these days, which almost always performs better on 360.

This isn't true for the NMH port though, but that was before they switched to being an Unreal company.

Ok, thanks.

Lotto

I'd like to call myself a Suda51 fan but Killer7 was really the only game from him I tried and enjoyed a hell of a lot. Game is looking nice though, although it isn't as futuristic as I thought it would be judging from early concept art, probably just not seeing the whole picture just yet but I hope we see some of the concept art architecture in the game. Can't wait to see it in motion!

killerisdead44.jpg

Top Bottom