• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension Has A Secret Code, But What Does It Mean?

Seems like if there was a puzzle-like sequence where you could hit various objects like that in the game, people who already played it would remember. And I don't think SUN would indicate any enemy in the game.

but you know there can be items in the world you can hit, like the original statues in the end of GOW1 that are not a part of a "puzzle" but just items in the environment that register hits. Or as someone suggested, enemies.

Would have preferrd a Norse mythos for the God of war series to continue, bit Persia would great as well. Plus there is some overlap with ancient Greek there. Question then becomes does it star kratos or a new hero? I personally would prefer a new hero, but perhaps for the first game there was a split of kratos and the new hero.

If it's a sequel to GOW3, I expect Kratos to be brought back to life. As stated here:

"Mitra, the god of friendship, was associated with the sun and served as one of the judges of the dead. He was supposed to bring worthy people back to life after the universe ended. Some of Mitra's functions lingered in the developing mythology of Mithras."

Remember, a very important/recurring theme of God of War is being worthy or proving your worth, and usually granted another chance.

Varth

new ip for ps4? new ip for ps4.

Seeing the similarities in setting and references, it seems more likely to me that my vision of "kratos" as a role more than a character could be right.

As in "the" kratos in each mythological setting is the individual chosen to challenge the gods for some motivation. Would give more potential for expansion of the brand while retaining some character features that "make" the character (IE: lead character is different, but still pale skinned and red tattooed) and core identity of the series.

but you know there can be items in the world you can hit, like the original statues in the end of GOW1 that are not a part of a "puzzle" but just items in the environment that register hits. Or as someone suggested, enemies.

I don't remember those original statues in GoW1, and I just played through it recently. So true, I'm sure if I missed that, I could miss other similar objects in Ascension.

mclem

...other possibilities? I think it's pretty darn safe to say with 100% certainty that the code we have now is correct.

I'm a little bothered by the fact that Portuguese seems to use a different cipher to the other languages; I'd be okay with it if *all* languages used different ciphers (heck, I suggested as much in an earlier post!), but it being just Portuguese seems like an odd decision - unless, possibly, they were worried that the similarities between Portuguese and Spanish could perhaps give too much away.

ekim

I'm a little bothered by the fact that Portuguese seems to use a different cipher to the other languages; I'd be okay with it if *all* languages used different ciphers (heck, I suggested as much in an earlier post!), but it being just Portuguese seems like an odd decision - unless, possibly, they were worried that the similarities between Portuguese and Spanish could perhaps give too much away.

They do...

Sid

If it's a sequel to GOW3, I expect Kratos to be brought back to life. As stated here:

"Mitra, the god of friendship, was associated with the sun and served as one of the judges of the dead. He was supposed to bring worthy people back to life after the universe ended. Some of Mitra's functions lingered in the developing mythology of Mithras."

Remember, a very important/recurring theme of God of War is being worthy or proving your worth, and usually granted another chance.
But Kratos achieved what he wanted to,there's no motivating factor left for him.

Batman

Banned
They can always pick up one what Jaffe always wanted to do, they can have gods from other mythologies notice that earth is in shambles and have them want to invade and Kratos says " oh hell no " and decides to take them all down. There are also plenty of other greek gods and figures still around so they don't have to ditch the greek mythology entirely.

ferr

Pulling Kratos out of the greek god setting and putting him into the egyptian god setting would be a super idea.

Good job, detective-GAF! I stared at the letters for what seemed like an eternity, but came up with nothing.

Rumors of the next game being set in Egypt? It will probably be
18th century America
then. :p

Sid

To you maybe, but it is good way (only way?) to get him out of the greek mythos and setting and into another. Once we are fighting in Persia and/or Egypt no one will care about how they got there.
The reason I say it's lame is because I've had enough of Kratos' past,we did this kinda thing in CoO already but if it allows for a complete change of setting then sure it can be cool.

Endo Punk

Yeah it wont happen and I don't want it to happen simply because it would be incredibly boring. The setting needs to be equally if not more so fantastical as Greek mythology.

God of War Vita?

THIS.

Hasn't "tease the portable game in the console game" been a god of war staple since 2?

Zero interest in more Kratos backstory though. Its getting into Metal Gear levels of fiction wanking now. They have filled every gap in the backstory already. GOW:A already felt forced.

That seems pretty lame.

here's how I see it, Kratos never got his redemption at the end of GoW3, he had his chance with Pandora but he blew that one also in the end, although through his action, apparently he give Athena's power (hope) to human. although from his last conversation with Athena you can see Kratos show regret.

I think it's feasible that if he got resurrected and given chance for redemption, he may go for it.

also, while Kratos family is vital to Kratos as character, we never really got to know them until Ascension. now I haven't played Ascension, but maybe one of the goal for Ascension is to make us the player care more about Kratos family as well as a more human Kratos

it could lead nicely to GoW4 where we the player can reunite Kratos with his family again.

DasMarcos

Banned
Interesting. I'd like to see how they plan to work in Kratos to this new mythology or if they introduce a new protagonist from scratch. I'm thinking they stick with Kratos though since he's already so recognizable.

dummydecoy

well the humans are basically all dead by the end of gow3, all you see is their souls. so 2 scenarios could happen

1. mitras resurrect worthy humans, athena not wanting mitras to control humanity grab Kratos and somehow resurrect him to battle Mitras

2. Mitras saw Kratos as worthy and bring him back to life, ask Kratos to do something for him for the reward of resurrecting his family. something like that

Where was Mitras then when Zeus and his brothers ruled the world? Hiding in fear?
Please SSM, no connection with greek mythology on your next God of War game.
New hero, new characters, new mythos.
Just die already Kratos.

Where was Mitras then when Zeus and his brothers ruled the world? Hiding in fear?
Please SSM, no connection with greek mythology on your next God of War game.
New hero, new characters, new mythos.
Just die already Kratos.

they left that fucking teaser at the end of gow 3, they better follow through on that or I'll be pissed. I need my closure.

JDoe2014

Neo Member
well the humans are basically all dead by the end of gow3, all you see is their souls. so 2 scenarios could happen

1. mitras resurrect worthy humans, athena not wanting mitras to control humanity grab Kratos and somehow resurrect him to battle Mitras

2. Mitras saw Kratos as worthy and bring him back to life, ask Kratos to do something for him for the reward of resurrecting his family. something like that

I thought all the souls were just those released from Hades. I assumed there were still a lot of people alive... maybe not so much on or around Olympus. But someone was going to use the hope released from Kratos, and Athena said they won't know what to do with it. Who was she going to rule over if errbody died

Top Bottom