• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Wunder

Can anyone explain 'counter-attacking'? Mr. Drippy gave me a run down in
Golden Grove
but I have no idea how to put that into practice.

When what turns blue? The attack command? It doesn't seem to do it when I tried to wait and see. :[

edit: nevermind I think I've got it, window seems really short though

Good, because I actually hadn't tried to do it myself.

This game is in my head. I was thinking to myself that it would be nice to have a jump button just to hop around and the first merit award is a pointless jump button!

Part of me really wants a version of Ni no Kuni where it takes a dark turn and the entire adventure is the result of Oliver's guilt induced psychological trauma. He already has imaginary friends two layers deep.

Peagles

Don't know if this has been talked about yet, but I got this in an email from Prima:

It's the last bit that worries me. Can I really not use Hurly with my PAL game? I bought the guide for Hurly from a UK based shop too (Book Depositary UK).

:-(

Just as an update to this. I see a UK version of the Prima guide has appeared on Book Depository, so I've ordered that. Hopefully the Gold Hurly that comes with that works outside NA :p

madhtr

Man, this game nearly gave me a heart attack... Thought I lost two and a half hours of work... but
thankfully there is a continue feature that just costs you 10% of your money.
I can handle that.

Lucent

Man, this game nearly gave me a heart attack... Thought I lost two and a half hours of work... but
I can handle that.

Only 10%? Well, I guess that's not bad. I remember you lost some money in Earthbound if you "died" in battle. But if you deposited all your money and carried none of it with you, you literally had no penalties really.

I've never wanted to be American till this game come out over there sooner than the EU, really jealous of you guys right now. Just another week to go over here!

madhtr

Only 10%? Well, I guess that's not bad. I remember you lost some money in Earthbound if you "died" in battle. But if you deposited all your money and carried none of it with you, you literally had no penalties really.

Yeah,
you also are placed at the last place you entered the field
, so it's not that awful of a penalty (I had wandered where I shouldn't have).

Edit: 5am? Probably a good time to go to sleep...

Sanctuary

Has anyone received their Amazon preorder code yet? I've yet to get an email, and there wasn't anything extra with the packaging.

Number45

I wish I heard of this game before it came out.things like thus bit hard to get.
If all you want is the game and you're in no rush, wait for the digital edition to go on sale. One of the positive benefits of digital versions is that you'll always* be able to get hold of them.

* I know this isn't quite accurate.

If all you want is the game and you're in no rush, wait for the digital edition to go on sale. One of the positive benefits of digital versions is that you'll always* be able to get hold of them.

* I know this isn't quite accurate.

It's also cheaper. I saw a thread at CAG saying it was $55, which factoring tax, is $10 less than I paid.

I just did the first reading comprehension quiz and I'm pissed. First of all, you have to type in the answer character by character. Second of all, you have to type it in specifically how they want it phrased. And worst, the answer they wanted for this particular question was wrong.
The third SMALLEST is the lion, but the answer they wanted was the west dragon, the third LARGEST

mileS

First impressions - Like everyone has said thus far... the music :O the graphics. I'm just completely sucked in already. The in-game book, and even the friggin world map, such an insane amount of detail put into something so small and minor. You can really tell a lot of love and care was put into this game.

Another note. and I'm not sure how long this will keep up or how involved it will get. But I'm getting oldschool PC adventure/rpg game vibes when I have a real note pad in front of me, deciphering codes, and going back to read the insanely detailed in-game book. So completely in love with this game right now.

Lucent

It's also cheaper. I saw a thread at CAG saying it was $55, which factoring tax, is $10 less than I paid.

I just did the first reading comprehension quiz and I'm pissed. First of all, you have to type in the answer character by character. Second of all, you have to type it in specifically how they want it phrased. And worst, the answer they wanted for this particular question was wrong.
The third SMALLEST is the lion, but the answer they wanted was the west dragon, the third LARGEST

You do school in the game?

That's it, I'm out.

-runs-

lol j/k

anddo0

Played for 7 hours straight... I haven't done that since I played Minecraft for the first time back in the alpha state days.

The game is truly amazing.

Only other games to hook me like this were Souls and Persona.. Time flies when you're playing this game. Totally hooked.

Amneisac

Only thing I don't really like so far is how battles seem to wind down to how quickly you can get through the menus to cancel an attack, switch characters and defend (as an example). Unless I'm missing something that seems like it'd be better with some hot keys.

I actually kept thinking the WiiU game pad could be awesome for this game. Reading the wizard compendium on it and during battles you could have all your familiars up and just tap to switch between them. Anyways, loving the game!

Andrew.

Banned
I was only able to get up to the very first tutorial battle in Another World before I had to turn it off from being so blown the fuck away. It feels like such a masterpiece already, evoking those old feelings of unknown grand adventure that were birthed for me back in the prime SNES Squaresoft days.

I played for about 6-7 hours last night. Hate to sound like a fanboy, but this game is amazing. Just the art style alone is worth noting for being amazing. I hope the rest of the game delivers!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Holy smokes this game is great! I got to the cat king and did that quest but I have to be up early tomorrow.

As someone said, this feels like the first real jrpg on HD consoles. Maybe I'm wrong and missed some but this is where I imagined jrpgs going in the future. Great looking, lots of side quests, stat tracking for monsters killed, Pokemon style creature helpers, etc etc. a lot of little things that I love to see

Can't say the story is too cookie cutter tbh. Not like you're some outlaw who plays by his own rules but god dammit gets the job done. I like the story, characters and world so far. The Cthulhu looking villain is cool although I've only seen the portrait from early in the game

If you like jrpgs or want to experience one for the first time in a long time then you won't be disappointed

Quite the tidy post.

I agree with you, game so far (2 hours in) has been nothing but fun so far. Based on my early impressions I hope the game does really well and we start getting some copycats in this style.

Tadale

Trying to stay out of this thread while I wait for my Wizard Edition.

I take it that nobody has picked up a copy of the CE yet? I haven't seen any pictures online save for what Namco has released.

h3ro

Can't really expound much more on what's already been said about the game thus far in the thread but this game is just an absolute joy to play.

Bliss.

sammy

Threw in a good 2 hours last night with this game, what a state of pure glee. This one's something special, so I'm looking forward to it being such a huge adventure and not in the mood to rush anything.

While different in its own ways, Xenoblade was the last great console JRPG I played (and am still working on completing) - A lot of fun was had with that one, but Ni No Kuni is in a category all its own.

Z3M0G

I can handle that.

I died when I was grinding the first time you are on the world map... I was up to 54G and lost ALL of it!

What a lovely, sincere and charming game.

A little bit heavy to start with regarding the situation around the protagonist's mom. At least...it was heavy for my almost-seven-year-old daughter.

They didn't belabour it though.

It's difficult to discern the differences between the normal mode and easy mode but all in all, this has been an excellent reminder as to why I used to love JRPGs.

Also, I LOVE the details in the wizard's companion. I want to buy a copy of it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does anyone know how and why tactics settings sometimes stick and sometimes don't? I'll tell my companion to not use any abilities, and she won't for several battles. Other times, I'll tell her to not use abilities, and the next battle she is set to use abilities again.

It seems it would be pretty hard to pull off a "sleep" spell in this without constantly juggling tactics because you don't want your partner to ever attack the sleeped mob. First you have to select your main guy, put him in battle, select "tactics" , select "do nothing" for you partner, go back to battle, select sleep-casting familiar, cast sleep, select your main guy, put him in battle, select "tactics", then select "attack same target as me" for your partner.

That's just crazy. Unless there is a better way?

gunstarhero

Has anyone gotten a notification from Namco regarding when the Wizard Edition will ship? The order status they supply is completely useless.

Wunder

Is there any reason not to
metamorphose your familiar?
The only reason I see could be extra abilities or something, but it keeps notifying me after every level-up. Also
party battles
seem pretty annoying so far, wish you could just switch straight to your familiar, I always get caught off guard and spiral into a chain attack of death.

drippy makes me think of yangus

Yesss. The DQVIII vibes I'm getting are great.
The soundtrack is living up to the hype I had before release. I just stopped playing last night after I got
the wand from the cat king guy
. Looking forward to playing for another 4 or so hours tonight.

So he's just talking crap and this game doesn't have excessive amounts of grinding?
I don't really know the guy that well, except from his decent Jimquisition videos, so I don't know the general consensus here regarding his work. If he is wrong, please let me know, because I'm incredibly curious about this game.

I don't think he's talking crap, per se. I think he's trying to explain away the tough time he had with the game the only way he knows how. That, and he saw the game becoming a sacred cow and thought to himself "why write another glowing review when I could write something controversial"?

I didn't have any real problems with the review, really, despite him saying over and over how difficult it is to like this game. I don't know what universe that sentiment came out of.

Z3M0G

Has anyone gotten far enough in the game to learn to hit SQUARE in battle to perform "All-Out Defense" ?

This is outlined in the game manual... and there is debate of if it is even possible. Was it possible in the 2nd segment of the demo, where you have multiple party members?

Willectro

Banned
Played about 2.5 hours last night and I'm impressed. My only complaint so far is some of the dialogue is long-winded, but that may change as the game progresses.

Danj

#1 on Amazon UK now:

rXSOuUn.png

Awesome.

I am really impressed by the excitement this game is garnering. A couple of my friends and some online people are playing this game and they are not anime fans at all. At E3 I saw clips of it in the main Sony montage and thought they sent it to die. 8-4play they didn’t like the game that much complicated play mechanics and long boss battles.

But despite all of that I hope this game does well, I would love to get it but I am swamped in a couple of projects in and out of work.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There is definitely something magical about this game that I've been missing as of late.

Between this and my recent discovery of Dark Souls (a game I put off playing for too long) I feel as if the Japanese style of design is something I've ended up missing quite a bit. This is a very special game and definitely the best thing to come out of Level 5 to date.

Dinosur

Played for about six hours last night (finished everything in Ding Dong) and love it. As is the common opinion, the art and music are absolutely glorious.

I still don't feel like I'm understanding combat completely though. I'm trying to play it like a Tales game, but it feels like it's more a war of attrition of "I'll stand still and you stand still and we'll whack each other until someone dies." I especially don't understand the point of the second familiar you get because he seemed absolutely worthless until leveled up to around 7.

I'll spoiler the continuing question just in case (end of Ding Dong stuff):
I get that you're supposed to use Psyche Up - Go Wild to interrupt major attacks, but there never seems to be enough time to pull it off. I ended up beating that mouse boss just by running around in a circle along the arena edge, throwing out the first familiar, healing, repeat.

I'm embarrassed even admitting any of this confusion because it shouldn't be a problem. I just want to be sure I'm getting everything out of the game tactics-wise.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Has anyone gotten far enough in the game to learn to hit SQUARE in battle to perform "All-Out Defense" ?

This is outlined in the game manual... and there is debate of if it is even possible. Was it possible in the 2nd segment of the demo, where you have multiple party members?

Does that automatically break any action anyone is doing and put them into "defend" mode? What about creatures that don't have a defend ability?

Top Bottom