• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmonix / Hasbro announce DROPMIX

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Is there a reason Amazon lists they're not getting this until November?

Amazon isn't updating for some reason and even caught some direct flack from the devs on their last stream. Hmx assured that it will update and be shipped on the proper launch day.

What's the actual release date?
. Sunday September 24th in the US. TBD everywhere else in the world.

just did a youtube search and like noone has covered this game
Its a bit of a worry

It is more on the board game spectrum then video game. Honestly hasboro doesn't seem to be promoting this very well thus far and maybe hey are waiting til opening week to start throwing ads out there. hMX streams on twitch are your best resource for seeing how this game is played and new app features.

Munti

I saw some streams quickly, but I can't watch right now.
My question is: Does the music itself actually have a role in the gameplay or is it rather just decoration? Like, would this card game also be possible to play without the music?

vort3x

This game does look cool as hell. $100 seems steep plus another piece of plastic taking up room. I cant help but think it would have been much better as a digital game instead of a piece of plastic. Sell the game cards as dlc and put rare cards in crates like rocket league. Not sure why they went this route. Would have been a day 1 purchase if it was digital and cheaper.

The game just got submitted to app stores on 9/12 if that's what Harmonix's Nate means in this tweet:
22lxmZZ.png

I saw some streams quickly, but I can't watch right now.
My question is: Does the music itself actually have a role in the gameplay or is it rather just decoration? Like, would this card game also be possible to play without the music?

The music is the main draw. The card game itself isn't very complex and it's turn-based. There's no rhythm mechanics or anything requiring precise timing.

Just announcing that the ot will be named

You Just Activated My Trap Card

The banner luulubuu made is so good you guys. I helped choose the title. The joke is
Trap music and Yugioh
. Never helped with an OT before so hopefully they can pick up some of my slack.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
This game does look cool as hell. $100 seems steep plus another piece of plastic taking up room. I cant help but think it would have been much better as a digital game instead of a piece of plastic. Sell the game cards as dlc and put rare cards in crates like rocket league. Not sure why they went this route. Would have been a day 1 purchase if it was digital and cheaper.

From everybody that has played it thus far, thier takeaway seems to be that dropping cards into the mix (name pun) and having the music react feels like where the magic happens. The board and cards are also in a board game box which should help against the plastic bulk that drums and guitars are known for.

I'm not sure without the board and cards the actual card game itself would be able to have any longevity without the board gimmick (which sucks to say but it is totally true). And I've said this previously, but this game is really going to depend on how much money you sink into additional cards (like rock band DLC songs) to make a good case to bring it to a board game night repeatedly. I'm going to be dropping probably $220 for the game and all the playlists at launch but I know lots of other people won't. That's probably why the $5 discovery packs exist

Listonosh

I wrote a pretty in-depth review with a unit I was sent early this month. It's a fantastic presentation, the music is great, and the card game itself is simple enough that you can teach it on a single turn, but has surprising depth and strategy if you want to invest time into learning the cards.

But yes, the music is definitely just as an added bonus to the game. There's no skill or mechanics within the music composition itself.

DropMix GameZone Review

So two points I want to touch on. I don't really think this counts as "another piece of plastic taking up room" since it's intended to be a board/card game, that you place back inside its box and on your shelf of other board games. I don't think this is supposed to live on your living room table, or propped up in your storage closet. Think of other large board games with hundreds of miniatures and environment pieces. At least DropMix has literally 0 set up. You take it out, turn on the app and boom, you're playing.

As far as pricing goes, I somewhat agree. It is pretty expensive. You only get 60 cards, which essentially means you get enough for four players to play 2v2. However, with that limited amount of cards, you run into similar mechanics and strategies, especially if you really only have to learn 15 cards (per person). Doubling that to 120 would have made subsequent back to back games a lot more interesting with more variety. As I noted in my review, I paid somehwere around 80 for Skylanders which came with three figures, an NFC reader and a fully fledged game, so a $100 for a card game, albeit an extremely cool one, is a little steep.

I definitely disagree with your suggestion about putting digital rare cards into loot boxes. The game is a definite money sink if you plan on buying every card pack, but at least I like knowing that spending 15 bucks will get me the entire set of cards. If this went the TCG route, I probably wouldn't have been that excited about growing my card collection later.

vort3x

I wrote a pretty in-depth review with a unit I was sent early this month. It's a fantastic presentation, the music is great, and the card game itself is simple enough that you can teach it on a single turn, but has surprising depth and strategy if you want to invest time into learning the cards.

But yes, the music is definitely just as an added bonus to the game. There's no skill or mechanics within the music composition itself.

DropMix GameZone Review

Thanks for the review I'll check it out.

Point taken on your comments and makes sense. As for the crate thing I meant it only if they released it for cheap as a digital game. I wouldn't want that for this physical release. Like have a dlc for all the cards but special cards like they're giving away at cons make it like a crate pack. It would provide revenue for future songs and people who can't go to conventions have a chance of getting something rare.

This will be a Xmas list game for me because of the price point. If I get it great if not no biggie. Although it does look a lot of fun and I'm a huge djhero fan and this give me massive DJ hero vibes, so i would love to get it.

FyreWulff

This isn't DJ Hero or Wonderbook at all.

DJ hero is a beatmatch game. It's Guitar Hero/RB/DDR/etc lineage.

Wonderbook is AR.

Dropmix is a board game with deck building.

Listonosh

Thanks for the review I'll check it out.

Point taken on your comments and makes sense. As for the crate thing I meant it only if they released it for cheap as a digital game. I wouldn't want that for this physical release. Like have a dlc for all the cards but special cards like they're giving away at cons make it like a crate pack. It would provide revenue for future songs and people who can't go to conventions have a chance of getting something rare.

This will be a Xmas list game for me because of the price point. If I get it great if not no biggie. Although it does look a lot of fun and I'm a huge djhero fan and this give me massive DJ hero vibes, so i would love to get it.

Yeah, especially with the game's freestyle mode, which lets you just drop down cards however you want, even change the tempo and key on the fly. I feel like if someone got the timing right, this could potentially be used as a very amateur live performance device

Qwark

This is more of a technical question, but since all of the sound files need to be stored in the app (I assume since the card is just a chip), does that mean the app is going to get more and more bloated as more cards are released? Or wouldn't the sound files take up very much space?

Also, how are you supposed to keep cards straight when you clear the board? It seems like it would be hard to keep track of whose cards are whose.

PlatStrat

Neo Member
You know what I just thought of? Customs on this would be amazing. Since this is coming out on Android I can definitely foresee the files being reversed engineered like the Rock Band Pro Guitar customs and Rocksmith customs. I'd be interested in seeing the mixes that come out of that.

Listonosh

This is more of a technical question, but since all of the sound files need to be stored in the app (I assume since the card is just a chip), does that mean the app is going to get more and more bloated as more cards are released? Or wouldn't the sound files take up very much space?

Also, how are you supposed to keep cards straight when you clear the board? It seems like it would be hard to keep track of whose cards are whose.

1. The app currently is 1.16GB, and I'm not sure if it already includes the tracks for all the upcoming packs that also launch simultaneously with the board. My guess is yes, since I was also given one of the cheaper "booster" packs that contain 5 random cards, and they all worked.

2. If you're playing against someone using their own cards, and you're worried they'll get mixed, there are two solutions. You could always go by the bottom right of the card, which has the icon that matches the theme. However, if you're using a hybrid deck made up of multiple themes, you can always remove another player's card first before placing your own. It's an extra step, but this is specifically highlighted in the game's FAQs, to prevent mixing cards, or if you just want to keep stacks of themed cards while playing, and not have to separate everything after.

If anyone has any more questions, feel free to ask. I've been playing this game like crazy, so I can answer probably most of them

Qwark

If anyone has any more questions, feel free to ask. I've been playing this game like crazy, so I can answer probably most of them

Thanks for the answers, do you feel like you'll get tired of some of the music with the limited choices out so far? There's only so many times I can listen to Sexy and I Know It before I go insane. I mean, even if you buy every single card, that's still only like what, 50 sampled songs in total?

blurrygil

I just saw that goddamn Transformers promo card and oh my god give me

It's pretty dope. I snagged one at PAX West. <3

Transformers-PAX-Exclusive-Card.png

So I got to sample the game, of course, and it was pretty fun. Definitely a pure card game, albeit a bit simplistic for my tastes. But I imagine the game will get deeper as we move beyond the Core set of cards. All in all, I enjoyed it! The game heavily favors deck reads, or knowing what is in your opponents deck/hand, and then countering. But when all else fails, RNG WHEEL TO THE RESCUE!!! (I don't like it *that* much, but a little RNG doesn't kill a game for me) It's a fascinating card game spin on HMX's well-known music-based games.

I agree the price point isn't optimal for me. But I've preordered and cautiously optimistic--especially being the tabletop fiend that I am. :)

Listonosh

Thanks for the answers, do you feel like you'll get tired of some of the music with the limited choices out so far? There's only so many times I can listen to Sexy and I Know It before I go insane. I mean, even if you buy every single card, that's still only like what, 50 sampled songs in total?

So right now I'm only playing with the 60 included cards, and you definitely do start hearing a lot of similar mixes. I say similar because outside of the rainbow cards, which completely beat match and key match to their specific beat and key, the other cards will sound different depending on when they're laid down. If the first card I lay down is the bassline to I'm Sexy and I Know It, and then drop Afrojack's Take Over Control melody, it's going to beat and key match to LMFAO. However, if I reversed that, then LMFAO would beat and key match to Afrojack. I hope that made sense. So there can still be variety with the same exact cards, just depending on when they're dropped.

I think there are 300+ cards in total, and let's say each of them would have 5 separate parts, then there is a potential of around 60 songs. But you also have to count the rainbow cards as completely self contained songs, since they can be placed anywhere and completely change up the mix. So if there are around 20 packs you'll be able to buy, each one containing one rainbow card, you can add an additional 20 songs to that rotation, so at least 80+ songs.

So I got to sample the game, of course, and it was pretty fun. Definitely a pure card game, albeit a bit simplistic for my tastes. But I imagine the game will get deeper as we move beyond the Core set of cards.

Yeah, this is spot on. I hate to say this, since it's such an overused statement, but it's one of those games that are incredibly easy to understand, but difficult to master. Knowing your deck, the FX cards and the abilities, as well as when to play higher volume over lower volume cards is key. In just a few games, my buddy who is a hardcore board game player, and who was skeptical about this being nothing more than a tech demo, was impressed at how strategic the game can get. Of course, the RNG Dropmix wheel does somewhat eliminate that, but I do feel it's a necessary addition to clear the board.

Qwark

I think there are 300+ cards in total, and let's say each of them would have 5 separate parts, then there is a potential of around 60 songs. But you also have to count the rainbow cards as completely self contained songs, since they can be placed anywhere and completely change up the mix. So if there are around 20 packs you'll be able to buy, each one containing one rainbow card, you can add an additional 20 songs to that rotation, so at least 80+ songs.

Looking through the announced cards, I think there's enough of my favorite songs in there to keep me coming back... just gonna need to invest in card packs.

Just watched this twitch stream:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/172542789
Really digging the Emperor's New Clothes mix at the end.

Ack, wait for Christmas or splurge early?

Listonosh

I don't think this game will be selling out anywhere so you probably have time to wait. All I can say with confidence is that my group of board game friends have been really digging it. If you have a group of friends that you play board or card games with, or hell, even friends who dig music games, this might be enticing enough for them to try. The downside is that I do think it's worth buying some extra playlist packs along with the core game, otherwise multiple repeat back to back games will seem a little too similar

Neverfade

So Best Buy, Toys R Us, and Target have no in store pickup listed as an option as far as I can tell (makes me wonder if it'll even be on shelves slocally). I kinda want to get this in person since the playlist pack listings generally say "packs chosen at random".

What's everyone's buying solution to not get screwed over with duplicates?

So Best Buy, Toys R Us, and Target have no in store pickup listed as an option as far as I can tell (makes me wonder if it'll even be on shelves slocally). I kinda want to get this in person since the playlist pack listings generally say "packs chosen at random".

I've been led to believe it will be in stores on Sunday. If not, why would it be released on a day when nothing gets delivered? I just don't think that TRU does much pre-order for in store pick-up stuff at all. Like, I threw Battlefront 2 in my cart just to see if I could, and it says no.

I'm planning on hitting up TRU next Sunday, as I think it's probably the best bet.

Listonosh

To my knowledge playlist packs arent random, only the discovery packs are, unless I misread what you meant

To my knowledge playlist packs arent random, only the discovery packs are, unless I misread what you meant

There actually isn't any randomization at all, at least not in the traditional CCG sense. When you buy a discover pack, all the cards in it are the same set cards. The difference between the Playlist packs and discover packs, apart from having different cards, are price and number of cards. The thing is, the discovery packs are only differentiated at retail by whatever their front card is, instead of being like, "Hip-hop Discover Pack 1" and having separate SKUs like the Playlist packs.

So if you want to get all the cards, you have to either be there physically to grab all the discover packs to ensure you get all the different ones, or find a retailer selling a bundle of all the different ones.

Listonosh

There actually isn't any randomization at all, at least not in the traditional CCG sense. When you buy a discover pack, all the cards in it are the same set cards. The difference between the Playlist packs and discover packs, apart from having different cards, are price and number of cards. The thing is, the discovery packs are only differentiated at retail by whatever their front card is, instead of being like, "Hip-hop Discover Pack 1" and having separate SKUs like the Playlist packs.

So if you want to get all the cards, you have to either be there physically to grab all the discover packs to ensure you get all the different ones, or find a retailer selling a bundle of all the different ones.

Interesting, I was always under the impression that discover cards were random, and playlist packs were all set. So that means you not only have to buy every single playlist pack, but discover packs as well if you want every single card? Ay-yi-yi

Interesting, I was always under the impression that discover cards were random, and playlist packs were all set. So that means you not only have to buy every single playlist pack, but discover packs as well if you want every single card? Ay-yi-yi

If you want every card, yes. At least you aren't rarity chasing with random boosters, though.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
-4 playlists in the base game (60 cards)
-8 playlist packs (16 cards each = 128 cards)
-8 playlists split into 24 discovery packs (5 cards each = 120)
-1 promo transformers card (1 card)

309 cards so far announced in wave 1 and 2

Unique mixes with cards, beats per min, and note keys as stolen from HMXJosh on reddit "39,365,112,071,064"

If we want to go strictly money cost $340 + whatever you have to pay to get your hands on the transformers card.

Qwark

Looks like the app has dropped onto the google store first

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hasbro.dropmix

App is free so poke around and see what's up. iOS will surely follow in the next few hours.

The reaction thus far seems to be EU countries can't get the app due to restrictions (most likely musical licenses)

You can listen to mixes without having the game, right? I hope they start uploading some dev mixes soon.
Edit: Doesn't seem like there's a place to listen to shared mixes in the app, maybe I was misinformed.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
You can listen to mixes without having the game, right? I hope they start uploading some dev mixes soon.
Edit: Doesn't seem like there's a place to listen to shared mixes in the app, maybe I was misinformed.
I think you have to be linked a mix by somebody who made one and shared it. HMX said they will start updating thier twitter with actual app link mixes soon after app launch.

I’m interested (I have iOS so it’s not out for me yet) can you get into the collection tab and see the other secret cards from the playlist packs? Reddit has a list of the additional songs by somebody that mined them, but it would be nice to have confirmation.

Edit for anybody that wants to spoil thier playlist packs secret cards (this list isn’t confirmed yet but seems very plausible)

C301: Beethoven - 5th Symphony - Yellow - Lvl 3
C302: Harmonix Music - Doctor Who Theme - Yellow - Lvl 3
C303: Harmonix Music - Baker Street - Yellow - Lvl 3
C304: LEN - Steal My Sunshine - Yellow - Lvl 3
C305: Connecticut River Boys - Didgeridoo Stomp - Red - Lvl 3
C306: Harmonix Music - Wipe Out - Red - Lvl 3
C307: Davis Franklin - Beat Boxer - Blue - Lvl 3
C308: Bach - Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major - Green - Lvl 3

Thanks to bravogangus on reddit for the leaked cards

Chucker

If my 6 year old can grasp this I’ll buy it sight unseen as the premise sounds fun. I’ll check out some of these videos soon. A friend who works at Best Buy told me they have them on hand, but not sellable yet.

Qwark

I think you have to be linked a mix by somebody who made one and shared it. HMX said they will start updating thier twitter with actual app link mixes soon after app launch.

I’m interested (I have iOS so it’s not out for me yet) can you get into the collection tab and see the other secret cards from the playlist packs? Reddit has a list of the additional songs by somebody that mined them, but it would be nice to have confirmation.

Edit for anybody that wants to spoil thier playlist packs secret cards (this list isn’t confirmed yet but seems very plausible)

Thanks to bravogangus on reddit for the leaked cards

I can see the collection, but I don't think it has all the cards yet, at least I don't see any of those in the ones I've looked through, but I'm not sure which sets thouse would be in either.

Hope those are real though, I love
Steal My Sunshine

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I can see the collection, but I don't think it has all the cards yet, at least I don't see any of those in the ones I've looked through, but I'm not sure which sets thouse would be in either.

Hope those are real though, I love
Steal My Sunshine

They are part of the baffler deck but it looks that it isn’t in this until you unlock them

On a different note the wild in the chiller deck is
New Order - Blue Monday
which hasn’t been announced yet. Haven’t found where bell biv Devoe - poison is yet...

Qwark

They are part of the baffler deck but it looks that it isn’t in this until you unlock them

On a different note the wild in the chiller deck is
New Order - Blue Monday
which hasn’t been announced yet. Haven’t found where bell biv Devoe - poison is yet...

Ah, I see. Looks like there's Poison cards in the Fever pack, unless you're talking about a wild Poison card, I don't see that anywhere.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Ah, I see. Looks like there's Poison cards in the Fever pack, unless you're talking about a wild Poison card, I don't see that anywhere.

Lol nope you found it. I thought for sure that song was going to be a wild.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Update on international from HMXJosh

*Okay, international release update!*

US: 9/24 - More details on this to come soon, I've asked for some specifics on individual retailers based on the emails you've been sharing about your pre-orders
Canada: 10/16
Mexico: November
UK: November
Hong Kong: November
Singapore: December
Chile: December

For other countries (Australia and New Zealand included), I'm still waiting on confirmation.

Qwark

This Call Me Maybe/Scenario mashup is tight.

Is there an easier way to find these though? Or to know what I'm accessing before I click on the link?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
This Call Me Maybe/Scenario mashup is tight.

Is there an easier way to find these though? Or to know what I'm accessing before I click on the link?

Unfortunatly not unless the person specify it with the link

Also these are from a load that HMX dropped on the reddit page and thier twitter

That being said

Amazing disturbed disco remix https://share.dropmix.com/UeNvMY9hN5cvEbfvZn58IEnLOFetiXvyOSt-oIjOcTs

Ed Sheehan club banger https://share.dropmix.com/VeBxYwr_rkB2D-vEdKdR15tDeLLJ1ibShLppyUSawvs

We are seriously going to see somebody on stage before the end of the year that is trying to DJ with this thing guaranteed

Neverfade

Am I missing something with these shared mixes? Just goes to a blank mix board. Do I need the game to listen to them?
Edit: nevermind, its working now. Guess it had to finish downloading the tunes in the background.

Damn, this sounds pretty cool. Didn't realize it was announced 6 months ago. I gotta see it in action to get a better idea of how it plays out, but I really like the concept *searches youtube for video demonstrations*

vort3x

Thank God for bestbuy points. I pre-ordered this today for free! Yay! I'm so excited to play this. If it wasn't for the points I'm not sure I could have gotten this. These mixes are crazy good. I'm so hyped for this.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
this seems like it would be fun to play... once.

Clash has some decent depth, but it really will be a one or two time thing with people that are just interested in messing with the musical aspect.

HMX has said they have some extra game update ideas but it all hinges on the popularity of this and what Hasbro allows them.

Listonosh

So torn on this game. Sounds really awesome in theory, but in practice a lot of the mixes sound like a mess. And in order for this to become a long term platform like they’re hoping, they’re going to have to sell a lot. At $99 that doesn’t seem likely...

They do? Aside from a few cards like Sia's Chandelier getting pitch shifted even higher, I found that many of the mixes sound amazing ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Just got a response on twitter from @dropmixgame. Game is available on 9/25, *not* 24th

There are some brick and mortar stores such as target and Walmart that have already had employees say the game is already in their stores for the Sunday launch. Anybody ordering online, there is probably a zero chance that anything gets moving on a Sunday so later in the week or 25th is much more likely.

Top Bottom