• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How big is PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds for Xbox this Autumn?

Chris1

Possibly biggest time-exclusive game Xbox ever got in its library. Very smart decision by Phil.
100% sure this is Ybarra's doing not Phil's. Phil might have been the one to cross the T's and dot the I's but the driving force behind it is definitely Ybarra

Dude has loved that game and been tweeting about it for months.

If MS is smart they will bundle it this holiday. It's literally free advertisement that the game is on Xbox when you walk into a store.

Sugarmonkey

It'll be yuge. Like the biggest, most american thing you could possibly imagine. People will be on the other side of the wall wishing they could get their hands on it, believe me.

N7.Angel

Difficult to say, it's probably the biggest game of the entire Xbox One library but it'll be on PS4 as well, I think it depends of how long the exclusivity will be...

LKSmash

Their biggest game is a timed exclusive ea game. That's pretty sad.

I don't see how having the year's most popular title as an exclusive for any amount of time is a bad thing for MS. What are Sony's tentpole exclusives this fall? Knack 2 and GT Sport? MS is answering both of those plus providing a juggernaut on top of that.

Tagyhag

I don't understand the "how will this play on a controller" challenge.

We never had TPS / FPS on console before ?

You've never had a TPS or FPS like this on consoles.

They'll make it work, but it'll be very restrictive (I'm talking a shitload of aim assist).

It will be fine with a controller because everyone else is on a controller. Much faster paced games work fine in an all controller environment (overwatch, cod, battlefield etc).

I have it on PC and I can see it being a big hit on console. Its a shame from what i hear it will prob be 30fps but it will still be great as long as its stable.

There is at least one advantage the console version should have. Consistent visuals and performance. Right now its a shit show on PC with how unoptamised it is and people with better systems just using lowest settings so they can see people easier. This is a non issue on console (well maybe XBX might force more shadows or something?). So in theory they could force the game to look better and everyone has it looking that way.

Either way its a great game and i think it will work just fine on console. Will prob buy it again on PS4 when it comes out on that as i know others who would prob buy it. I dont know anyone in RL who has it on PC.

Dabi

it's big. But I suspect as publishers begin to put their spin on the mode, it'll quickly get put aside.

ps3ud0

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being their most important exclusive (albeit it timed? ) this generation. MS first parties aren't anywhere close to anything as significant as PUBG (damn forgot about Minecraft ;))

Its a really great move by MS and whoever engineered it should perhaps play a more instrumental role in Xbox.

ps3ud0 8)

n1iNuku.gif

and I'm confident that Microsoft realizes what a huge [potential] hit they have on their hands, and will do their best to help with any refinements and support that is needed.

Dynomutt

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being their most important exclusive (albeit it timed? ) this generation. MS first parties aren't anywhere close to anything as significant as PUBG (damn forgot about Minecraft ;))

Its a really great move by MS and whoever engineered it should perhaps play a more instrumental role in Xbox.

ps3ud0 8)

Ironically Minecraft was purchased as well. But agreed this has the potential to have a nice impact. I would not be suprised if the discussion came up. I think the term partnership implies Bluehole wants to retain autonomy in the big picture.

Purest 78

Hard to say success on PC doesn't mean anything for the Console space. Cod and Battlefront will dominate this game on consoles.

Skeeter49

Depends on how long they can label it an exclusive.

I think they need to hold it into 2018. If Sony can reveal it at PSX this year, that's a bit of a misstep.

Until then it's pretty big.

I think it's going to be pretty big.

I wish that they would go the extra mile and make it Play Anywhere. Cross-buy between PC-Xbox, and allowing cross play with Steam would be huge.

The Steam version already supports controllers, but obviously you can be at a disadvantage versus the M/KB players. If they had a checkbox to matchmake based on your input, it would actually be a big win for Steam players who want to play with a controller as well, since they could choose to only matchmake against other controller players, which would include the Xbox player base. I doubt such an option would do well on Steam without cross play, since the amount of people playing with a controller on Steam is almost certainly significantly lower than M/KB player base. It's another reason why I think cross-play between all platforms is a benefit to every platform.

A friend at work and I are both excited to pick up PUBG on Xbox. I'll be playing on 1X, not sure if he's decided to upgrade yet but most likely he will. I watch it on Twitch now and then and it makes me want to pick it up on PC but I'm holding out because realistically I just don't currently game on PC that much.

Kill3r7

There will be a lot of buzz around but it won't top Destiny, COD or BF2. That said, the game is on an incredibly trajectory right now on PC.

Top Bottom