• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Maker Fes |OT| Free GAF-made games for any 3DS owner inside!

I think at this point my most desired features would be the ability to zoom out while making maps and having free cursor movement with the circle pad.

I think at this point my most desired features would be the ability to zoom out while making maps and having free cursor movement with the circle pad.

Zooming out would be amazing.

I've never used RPG Maker before and at this point, I'm having more trouble with map design than I am with setting up/triggering events & switches and stuff (although I still don't understand variables).

Ivellios

While I like the look of some of the assets and the Mario Maker-esque upload system, the memory size limit for your game and lack of features compared to their PC equivalents (though understandable) makes this title a pass for me. Might check out what the community comes out with on occasion, though the quality of the titles within the first few years will probably be...well bad.

Exit Fate? To the Moon? Lisa? :D

I actually played To the Moon and while its fantastic, i dont consider it a RPG. As for the other games i never played them but im going to give it a try, thanks!

The game i mentioned is called Umbral Dark Rebirth, where you play the villains instead of heroes, it has superb writing and gameplay along with a great OST.

B_Signal

The game i mentioned is called Umbral Dark Rebirth, where you play the villains instead of heroes, it has superb writing and gameplay along with a great OST.

Can you give me a brief run down of the plot in case I'm about to rehash something "well known" 😆

woopWOOP

Alright, screw it, I'm getting it. I can probably work with the limited sprites in the game. I already have a silly, basic idea. Hopefully something basic like that is allowed in a limited engine like this.

About the game checking for swear words, does it give an immediate alert or does it only complain when you try to export your project? The latter would be such a hassle when things like 'Just watch' triggers it

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Alright, screw it, I'm getting it. I can probably work with the limited sprites in the game. I already have a silly, basic idea. Hopefully something basic like that is allowed in a limited engine like this.

About the game checking for swear words, does it give an immediate alert or does it only complain when you try to export your project? The latter would be such a hassle when things like 'Just watch' triggers it

it just tells you no or something ..

if really really want to say f and c and other potty mouth doodoo words type a . after the swearword the system that detects is is pretty basic

Alright, me and a friend both picked this up yesterday he got a little side tracked playing Modern Warfare Remastered and as I was waiting for all the bloody updates to download and install for my copy of Modern Warfare I created the whole map from Game of Thrones.

I have to say I'm clueless as I start to build my RPG but I'm hoping to find some video tutorials of some kind. There wasn't much in the way of instructional help for the 3DS version when I searched last night but if anyone has links or some helpful insight they could post that would be greatly appreciated.

Alright, me and a friend both picked this up yesterday he got a little side tracked playing Modern Warfare Remastered and as I was waiting for all the bloody updates to download and install for my copy of Modern Warfare I created the whole map from Game of Thrones.

I have to say I'm clueless as I start to build my RPG but I'm hoping to find some video tutorials of some kind. There wasn't much in the way of instructional help for the 3DS version when I searched last night but if anyone has links or some helpful insight they could post that would be greatly appreciated.
There's really not much out there for Fes in English yet.
I've been browsing all the GameFAQs threads on it so far and they've had some decent information.
Is there anything in particular that's confusing for you?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There's some odd translations in here for events, but otherwise a lot of it is really quite literal. Of course, that's coming from someone who used RM2k back when you had you download it illegally from some weird ass Russion (Don Miguel according to the wiki).

I thought about doing a little FAQ, but I'm sure GameFAQs will cover a TON of stuff before I could.

There's really not much out there for Fes in English yet.
I've been browsing all the GameFAQs threads on it so far and they've had some decent information.
Is there anything in particular that's confusing for you?

Thanks for the heads up, I thought I was just missing something when I searched.

So maybe some general direction to start out, I've created my map and I assume you need to start with an "event" as its called - in game, like a starting point? I did that I'm just not sure I've done it correctly. I'm also wondering do you put cities and towns, other people along as you go or do you kinda pre-build that stuff on the world map and then write in all the story/ dialogue in afterwards?

I kinda wish I could figure out the basics too, like deleting/ editing characters/ events.

I suppose I will just need to play around with it abit more today and take some time to try and figure some stuff out, apologies for my rant/ questions.

The Dink

no, but I have still way more respect for those, who create something for the sake of creating something great (call it self-fulfilment if you will) versus those who do the same with the slight hope that they may be able to monetize it in the future.

I mean, I understand where you're coming from, but in my experience I've played much better and more passionate free projects from the XP/VX/Ace generation than I ever did during the 2k/2k3 one. That part of the internet will never die. And c'mon man, I love when passionate people make great projects to share with the world too but let's not look down on people looking to make money off of their projects.

I actually played To the Moon and while its fantastic, i dont consider it a RPG. As for the other games i never played them but im going to give it a try, thanks!

Oh right, I was just listing some of my favorite games made w/RPG Maker. Don't know why I missed you clearly saying RPG. I'll have to check out that Umbral game as well. I've seen it around but never actually took the time to play it. And yeah, let me know if you like my recommendations! Exit Fate is definitely my favorite RPG made w/the engine. Just make sure you set aside 60+ hours lol. And Lisa: The Painful RPG is one of the cruelest experiences I've ever had gaming. You'd have to buy that one although I think it's only like 5 bucks on steam right now.

Ivellios

Can you give me a brief run down of the plot in case I'm about to rehash something "well known" 😆

Well im gonna put spoiler tags in it just in case
you start the game on the final battle of the heroes against the evil God, but in this case you control said evil god, after this fight 200 years later basically you have a party of evil villains working for this God and for themselves toward bring the end of the world

The characters are well written as well each with their unique personalities and motives

I mean, I understand where you're coming from, but in my experience I've played much better and more passionate free projects from the XP/VX/Ace generation than I ever did during the 2k/2k3 one. That part of the internet will never die. And c'mon man, I love when passionate people make great projects to share with the world too but let's not look down on people looking to make money off of their projects.

Oh right, I was just listing some of my favorite games made w/RPG Maker. Don't know why I missed you clearly saying RPG. I'll have to check out that Umbral game as well. I've seen it around but never actually took the time to play it. And yeah, let me know if you like my recommendations! Exit Fate is definitely my favorite RPG made w/the engine. Just make sure you set aside 60+ hours lol. And Lisa: The Painful RPG is one of the cruelest experiences I've ever had gaming. You'd have to buy that one although I think it's only like 5 bucks on steam right now.

Im actually still playing Umbral, but after i finish it i will sure play your recommendations, i dont mind paying for Lisa, i would pay even more for games like these

N4Us

Hey guys, just uploaded a short demo of what I've been working on. It's "Black Weekend" and it's by roys2 or creator ID 27482. Let me know what you think.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Wow, they really limited features. I really wish they allowed creativity with skills and attacks. I wanted to make a sword that had an attack that if you attack an ally, you lose half your hp, but the ally gets revived and healed. It also creates an event that if used on a human zombie, the zombie flees after a text implies it's back to human. But you don't get much power over skills.

I also wish events could be attached to an action. Like using an item ANYWHERE, Not just next to an event npc. I made an invisible one that passes through you and follows you, but the fastest movement can't keep up.

And there's the lack of an event or skill that changes your picture and walking sprite. You can change your name, but not the picture.

Do the DLCs ever include mechavics?

B_Signal

does anyone know of, or is putting together, an idiots guide for this?

I've managed to make an intro text and a separate conversation, neither of which end when I test the level (whichever I set as first, which I had to do by deleting because it's not going off where I've placed the event).

I can't get the event chips to work, I can't start battles, I can't move when I have the intro.
I've made an enemy, I've made a hero, the enemy doesn't show up as an option on the 'X' battle (presumably) icon, in fact I've just got a grey box

I want to like this but it's fucking idiotic they haven't included a tutorial

does anyone know of, or is putting together, an idiots guide for this?

I've managed to make an intro text and a separate conversation, neither of which end when I test the level (whichever I set as first, which I had to do by deleting because it's not going off where I've placed the event).

I can't get the event chips to work, I can't start battles, I can't move when I have the intro.
I've made an enemy, I've made a hero, the enemy doesn't show up as an option on the 'X' battle (presumably) icon, in fact I've just got a grey box

I want to like this but it's fucking idiotic they haven't included a tutorial

Right there with you on that, sounds like you've progressed a little further than I have. I second this motion tho, if anybody comes across video tutorials please share links here please.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How do I capture video off my 3DS? I'll make some tutorials for people if that's desired. I'm sure other people will consider it, but until more comprehensive things exist, it could be fun.

B_Signal

Right there with you on that, sounds like you've progressed a little further than I have. I second this motion tho, if anybody comes across video tutorials please share links here please.

well, I've now managed to make my character move, but on rails, so I've made an onrails rpg. and every time he takes a step the 8 page intro text plays again

How do I capture video off my 3DS? I'll make some tutorials for people if that's desired. I'm sure other people will consider it, but until more comprehensive things exist, it could be fun.

honestly mate, I'd take your phone camera or telepathy at this point

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
well, I've now managed to make my character move, but on rails, so I've made an onrails rpg. and every time he takes a step the 8 page intro text plays again

honestly mate, I'd take your phone camera or telepathy at this point

I'm probably going to have to go that route. But I'd be happy to help out. It is a bit curious that they included nothing to help get people started.

Dragoshi1

Seems we most likely won't be getting the dlc for a while here in the US...

S3T8d31h.jpg

NeonZ

So, checking the list of events, it's possible to change a character's profession and name from their initial ones, but there's no way to change their portrait? I guess I'm not missing anything, though?

B_Signal

Ok, so I've worked some stuff out, hopefully it will help others who are going in completely green. Although, for context, at the minute everything I've done is one long scene, with the player only controlling combat, but I've worked out how to do combat

Go in to database, then character, pick a file, give it a name, nickname, graphic. press R. You can set the growth speed and the initial level. For what I'm doing I need my heroes to be strong so I've just set the initial level to 91. You can, I think, just manually set stats, maybe you need to make a profession for that

Anyway, make a few characters then go to Party and add them. You're going to need weapons and armour etc, so go back from Party and go in to Weapons. Pick a slot and either create new or pick from a sample. Go back to Character, pick a character, press R, give them the weapon, armour or accessory you've made

Go to Monsters,pick a slot, sample/create new. Here you can name, give them graphics, change their stats, plus what they drop (R again) and what gold/exp they're worth.
Each monster has a colour, this is their size. Unfortunately you can't have 3 'Death' in one formation, so bear that in mind with which monsters you make. Make a few of various sizes

Go to Group, pick a slot, pick a formation, then you should be able to click on 'no setting' to pick the monster(s) that will appear in that formation.

Encounter Chips will let you pick which formations (groups of monsters) appear, there's frequency and chance to it.

Place encounter chips lets you put the encounters on a map, so you could cover an area for random battles. I've not really got this to work yet

Instead I went to Event Settings,picked my map, then created an event. Easy create is stuff like shops, which you'll need to create items for. Instead I went to Create Event

I then did Event Content, add new event, subtitle, wrote my intro. You could have characters talking here, or presumably jump straight in to battle.
The problem I've ran in to is that my intro just repeats, I've no idea how to end it. So instead I added a new event, went to the footprints tab, move location, and walked my character to the point I needed him. Initially it repeated the intro every step, now it doesn't , not sure what I altered.

Then I Added New Event (still on the same area), then added some characters talking (you can delete, edit and insert stuff from the B menu). Then I added new event and selected bottom right (screen functions), selected Battle. Here you can either select Units and pick 1 of the monsters you've made, or Group, and pick on of the formations of monsters you've created. I then went to Status Control and added a level up to finish the fight, you could heal everyone, add more conversations etc

That's the approach I might take with this map. The player will have limited control, it's just one long sequence until I learn how to end it

Galactic Fork

So, checking the list of events, it's possible to change a character's profession and name from their initial ones, but there's no way to change their portrait? I guess I'm not missing anything, though?
That's right. No way that I can see either. Very annoyed by that. My game hinges on a few features Fes just doesn't allow.

NeonZ

In my case, my concept still can work by outright replacing a character with another one, since it involved changing their abilities anyway. I'm still annoyed by this though, since it means less possible party members.

In my case, my concept still can work by outright replacing a character with another one, since it involved changing their abilities anyway. I'm still annoyed by this though, since it means less possible party members.
Haha, this was gonna be my suggestion for your problem.
Fes is missing some features that are really handy in other RPG Makers but I think most of them have a workaround, even if sacrifices have to be made to attain it.

adroit

Hey guys, just uploaded a short demo of what I've been working on. It's "Black Weekend" and it's by roys2 or creator ID 27482. Let me know what you think.

That was pretty cute! Cup of filth FTW! 8D

Before I buy this game I need to write a story. I haven't written a story since grade school which, for me, was a very long time ago.

woopWOOP

I just learned there's no mid-battle events for this game. Bummer. Thought I'd be able to spice up boss battles by having them change forms, summon minions or change their attack stance and the like. Guess I'll have to do with the usual unique powerful attacks and status effects...
Cool, I'll check it out

NeonZ

I just learned there's no mid-battle events for this game. Bummer. Thought I'd be able to spice up boss battles by having them change forms, summon minions or change their attack stance and the like. Guess I'll have to do with the usual unique powerful attacks and status effects...

You can initiate battles through events, so, you could just start a 2nd battle for a boss' 2nd form.

woopWOOP

You can initiate battles through events, so, you could just start a 2nd battle for a boss' 2nd form.
Way ahead of you ;)

I need to get used to this interface still. Apparently I already spent 5 hours just cobbling a bunch of intro cutscenes together, lol

Kazerei

Banned
I bought this "game" yesterday on impulse. It seemed like a good way to just relax and screw around. So far I've only been drawing maps, and wow, it's more work than I thought. I keep wanting to edit little things, but eventually I'll have to force myself to stop. Whee.

Couldn't resist lol. Immediately hitting limitations but that was expected really. Time to probe the bounds of what I can do and how I can get around some of the limitations with a bit of creativity. Should be fun for working on things on the train or in bed.

Galactic Fork

OK, can somebody explain how the copy chips in surrounding range work? It doesn't seem to be a copy paste function cause it does nothing. I must be missing something.

woopWOOP

OK, can somebody explain how the copy chips in surrounding range work? It doesn't seem to be a copy paste function cause it does nothing. I must be missing something.
Whenever you select that button (and the move chips option) you'll have a little tree icon at your cursor. This means you can only highlight and move/copy ground objects. By flicking the 3DS circle pad up or down you can switch between the ground objects layer (tree icon) and terrain chips layer (land icon).

It's pretty annoying that it automatically jumps to selecting ground objects whenever you select those options, even if you go from the move action to the copy action right next to it.

Well it was a pain in the butt to work out but I now have a functional "crafting room" prototype.

I started trying to have the player add items to a recipe by using them next to a crafting station but turns out you can't stack multiple "use item" triggers on one event.

So I thought about doing it in menus but not being able to do evals in the event structure (beyond the two you can do per page) killed that idea.

So current solution is to have a 'slot' on the screen for each item that can go into a recipe. You add items to slots by investigating the event, which triggers a menu for confirmation. When an item is added the event marks itself as full, and contributes a set value to a variable that I'm using like a bitmask - eg. adding scraps adds 1 to the mask, power cell adds 2 and a fuse adds 4. Then when you pull the go-switch, I can detect the value of the mask is 7 and add 3 grenades to the player's inventory, clear out the variables tracking slot contents and reset the mask.

If I allow for 8 different items to be used in crafting that gives a possible 256 combinations, way more than I need or would use, but in practice I'm probably going to be limited by the number of pages I can attach to the "go" event. Still, satisfying to get this far.

adroit

So current solution is to have a 'slot' on the screen for each item that can go into a recipe. You add items to slots by investigating the event, which triggers a menu for confirmation. When an item is added the event marks itself as full, and contributes a set value to a variable that I'm using like a bitmask - eg. adding scraps adds 1 to the mask, power cell adds 2 and a fuse adds 4. Then when you pull the go-switch, I can detect the value of the mask is 7 and add 3 grenades to the player's inventory, clear out the variables tracking slot contents and reset the mask.

"Without any programming knowledge," they said. 8D

"Without any programming knowledge," they said. 8D

Well... it depends what you're trying to accomplish :)

Edit: It's also kind of an overcomplicated solution, because the event system has been designed for a very specific set of mechanics and I'm trying to do something a little outside of those.

Galactic Fork

Whenever you select that button (and the move chips option) you'll have a little tree icon at your cursor. This means you can only highlight and move/copy ground objects. By flicking the 3DS circle pad up or down you can switch between the ground objects layer (tree icon) and terrain chips layer (land icon).

It's pretty annoying that it automatically jumps to selecting ground objects whenever you select those options, even if you go from the move action to the copy action right next to it.
Oh wow, I feel ridiculous for not recognizing that.

Anyway! After hours and hours of workarounds to get the prologue I want, I start fiddling around with the combat... Now I am worried I have reached a roadblock I can't work around...

Encounter chips... I want entirely different enemy groups attacking in the same areas at different parts of the game. And short of duplicating all my maps, I don't see how to do it. At the moment I'm trying to design a new random encounter system using events... no luck yet.

So the timer is interesting. It's the only way I've found so far to have continually updating events, eg. changing weather. You can't get rid of the stopwatch graphics but thinking maybe I could work that into a game thematically. Then have a timer that loops between 00:00 and 23:59, and use other events to control changing the screen colour for time of day and setting the weather somewhat randomly.

Encounter chips... I want entirely different enemy groups attacking in the same areas at different parts of the game. And short of duplicating all my maps, I don't see how to do it. At the moment I'm trying to design a new random encounter system using events... no luck yet.

Would want something like this too to reflect different enemies at different times of day. I was assuming just an on-touch event with different pages for each time, each with a chance branch to have a certain encounter.

Galactic Fork

Man, I made a great random encounter setup, but then I discovered the whole "can't hide the timer" detail. It was doomed anyway. You can't flee from event encounters, so a Chrono Trigger type encounter setup isn't viable. Luckily my story isn't 100% dependent on it. But these unnecessary restrictions are getting frustrating. Is the PC version like this?

Man, I made a great random encounter setup, but then I discovered the whole "can't hide the timer" detail. It was doomed anyway. You can't flee from event encounters, so a Chrono Trigger type encounter setup isn't viable. Luckily my story isn't 100% dependent on it. But these unnecessary restrictions are getting frustrating. Is the PC version like this?

Yeah I so wish you could hide it. I'm going to just roll with it and try to write the timer into the story.

I only have limited experience with the PC versions, my understanding is that features do tend to vary a bit among the different released so some people prefer one over another and vice versa.. But no it's nowhere near this limited.

For instance in the last version I used on PC there were common events and parallel processes. This means you could have events ticking away in the background acting as more advanced timers or step-counters and so on. You could have items that can be 'used' to trigger an event anywhere instead of only when explicitly adjacent to that event. And then there's the whole Ruby scripting thing which you can use to hugely modify the base engine including combat etc. Here we are kind of stuck with a lot of stuff, like the inability to change resistance/element type names and the relative inflexibility of special skills. On the upside though... It's on the 3DS!

In the long run though there's always going to be restrictions you have to work with or around unless you roll your own engine. And if RPG Maker inspires someone to go do that, well that's pretty cool in it's own way.

Really interested in checking this out, but due to finances I can't atm. Here's hoping that FES has a long lasting community.

I've got a decent little no-battle game I've been working on that I might put up a partial version of soon. It's a comedic adventure that involves exploring and has a huge focus on the writing/my super weird sense of humour so I'm interested to see what people think of it. I have some super elaborate switch set-ups throughout the game as well that I feel would be made easier through the usage of variables, but I don't understand how to use them yet!

I think I'll incorporate a battle system into my next game, but it seems so complex to deal with leveling, gear, etc. I'm just having fun making myself laugh for now and seeing what I can come up with within the game's limitations.

I've got a decent little no-battle game I've been working on that I might put up a partial version of soon. It's a comedic adventure that involves exploring and has a huge focus on the writing/my super weird sense of humour so I'm interested to see what people think of it. I have some super elaborate switch set-ups throughout the game as well that I feel would be made easier through the usage of variables, but I don't understand how to use them yet!

I think I'll incorporate a battle system into my next game, but it seems so complex to deal with leveling, gear, etc. I'm just having fun making myself laugh for now and seeing what I can come up with within the game's limitations.

Sounds cool :)

Just think of variables like switches except instead of having two states, on and off, you can have a number from 0 to 999999, and you can set event page conditions to trigger when a variable is less than, equal to, or equal-to-or-greater-than some other number.

Eg. You could have an NPC that just grunts at you each time you talk to him, but also it adds one to a variable - let's called it talk-count. In the npc events you could have another page with the condition "talk-count >= 3" and a message along the lines of "can't you see I'm busy?"

You could even have another page with a higher priority (determined by page number - higher numbers have higher priorities) and the condition "talk-count = 4" and another message where they finally talk to you.

Another thing you could do is have say a way of counting how many cupboards you've searched in other people's houses. Have an auto-start event with the condition set to searched-times >= 5 and you could have the police come and arrest you after you've been through one too many underwear drawers.

Anyway, I'm having a gripe over the pause when executing events. I have set up a timer and I've got a bunch of pages that set a switch to create a 'tick' effect - so eg every 60 seconds the switch gets flicked which causes another event to become active, which in turn increases a 'hunger' variable and resets the switch (so it doesn't keep executing)

The problem is there's a small hitch in the gameplay every time this happens. It's particularly annoying at the moment since for testing's sake I have compressed all the times so instead of a game day being 24 minutes it's 24 seconds, and my tick happens every 4 seconds. I've tried running in the equivalent of release mode, without the debug output, and it doesn't really help. It's not an issue when I have the palette change for time of day or when I rain turn on and off, as those events pause and fade in anyway so it looks natural. But for just changing variables in the background it's a pain. Unless it's somehow avoidable by structuring my events differently I'm going to have to mask the pause by only doing these updates at same time as the day/night transitions.

Top Bottom