• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not shocking news by any means but for those keeping track: Amazon has re-applied tax to my tax-glitched Splatoon 2. On the other hand, my tax-glitched Crash shipping today does not have any tax applied still.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Not shocking news by any means but for those keeping track: Amazon has re-applied tax to my tax-glitched Splatoon 2. On the other hand, my tax-glitched Crash shipping today does not have any tax applied still.
It could be because there was a price change on Splatoon 2 and not on Crash.

RS4-

Im legit in shock right now.

I put my TE2+ fightstick up on Kijiji for $250.

Someone messaged me within minutes, is serious about buying it, very communicative and we arranged to meet later this evening. Only downside is he offered $230 but I'll take it considering how painless he's been to deal with.

It all feels so surreal.

I've had an easier time dealing with people on Kijiji rather than RFD. PC parts, maybe the last 10-15 games I've sold and the few that I purchased, no hassles at all.

Any reason to buy this that's not gaming related (if it can even do anything else)
Not sure if it is well known but with a couple of clicks you can access your desktop through your tv, Link also uses an attached keyboard and mouse if you have it.

Side note: I just started using the Link again now that I got a 1080p monitor to match my TV and it works pretty great which is sad because I see them on sale everywhere; I fear support is coming to an end for these

chrono01

Why is Nintendo of America so horrible? So many other Countries having their SNES Classic pre-orders become available (and subsequently sell out), while things are still silent in NA.

It's so stressful, checking these forums every day (multiple times), in fear of pre-orders opening up while I step away from an hour or so. :(

Any reason to buy this that's not gaming related (if it can even do anything else)

Uh yes.

You can minimize or exit big picture mode and then have access to your desktop on your couch.

I use it to watch vids on my HDD all the time. It's fantastic, especially with the steam controller.

Why is Nintendo of America so horrible? So many other Countries having their SNES Classic pre-orders become available (and subsequently sell out), while things are still silent in NA.

It's so stressful, checking these forums every day (multiple times), in fear of pre-orders opening up while I step away from an hour or so. :(

I don't expect any preorders tbh... unless the stock is plentiful and retailers can afford to take some.

jokkir

Uh yes.

You can minimize or exit big picture mode and then have access to your desktop on your couch.

I use it to watch vids on my HDD all the time. It's fantastic, especially with the steam controller.

What about using Chromecast for that? Can I just make the Steam Link act like a Chromecast? I have several Chromecast and I don't think I'll be using it much for gaming because of work :(

Canon

Banned
I complained about an item being damaged to Amazon then I received an email saying "your Amazon.ca accounts have been closed." However inside that email all it says is they've refunded me for something, it makes no mention of my accounts being closed. Mistake subject?

i-Jest

Are we seriously going to get placeholder price discussion for the rest of the year?

I'd honestly prefer this over shipping talk, and/or why someone didn't get something from Amazon day 1, fully well knowing how bad Amazon is with shipping.

After a while, and 20 pages later, it all becomes a little much.

I complained about an item being damaged to Amazon then I received an email saying "your Amazon.ca accounts have been closed." However inside that email all it says is they've refunded me for something, it makes no mention of my accounts being closed. Mistake subject?

Call them to inquire.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'd honestly prefer this over shipping talk, and/or why someone didn't get something from Amazon day 1, fully well knowing how bad Amazon is with shipping.

After a while, and 20 pages later, it all becomes a little much.
I'd prefer neither. ;)

I don't expect any preorders tbh... unless the stock is plentiful and retailers can afford to take some.

Pretty much. I expect this to follow the same path as the black friday N3DS and the NES Classic.

Small chance EB or Amazon (Prime) will secure very limited preorders like the Switch, just to generate hype/headlines for N.

What about using Chromecast for that? Can I just make the Steam Link act like a Chromecast? I have several Chromecast and I don't think I'll be using it much for gaming because of work :(

The Steam link's main purpose is to allow you to play the steam games that are on your desktop on your big screen TV that's somewhere else in your house. You can either use a controller or hook up a wired/wireless mouse/keyboard and essentially use your PC from your living room. If you don't think you're going to use it for gaming primarily, then I would suggest you not buy it. I really like mine because when I don't feel like playing, I can use it to access my desktop PC whenever I want and say for example, go to crunchyroll to watch content there without having to use an app.

The steam link is essentially an enhanced chromecast for Steam on your PC. I mean, technically if you can watch it on your PC, you can watch it on your big screen now through the steam link. However, you'll still need to open up your web browser or windows explorer and search for the content yourself in order to watch it. That's why I like using the steam controller. It'll never replace a mouse, but it does allow me to open up things on my PC without much hassle.

I've never tried it, but you could, for example, add VLC media player to Steam as a non-steam game, and open it up on your big screen TV and view content that way if you don't want to bother going on your desktop, but again, you're better off sticking with your chromecast in that case.

Canadian Gaming Deals GAF Discord V1.0 is go! (Quote to reveal Link)

Now features:
  • Custom Notifications (Divided by Console/Theme/Hunt)
  • Provincial Rank/Role notifications (For retail store offerings in your area)
  • Full mobile support & push notifications.
  • More Bot Features coming soon.
If anyone has any suggestions or feedback - or would like to talk to us in regards to being a moderator - please contact us through discord or reply to this post.

TheExodu5

Banned
Canadian Gaming Deals GAF Discord V1.0 is go! (Quote to reveal Link)

Now features:
  • Custom Notifications (Divided by Console/Theme/Hunt)
  • Provincial Rank/Role notifications (For retail store offerings in your area)
  • Full mobile support & push notifications.
  • More Bot Features coming soon.
If anyone has any suggestions or feedback - or would like to talk to us in regards to being a moderator - please contact us through discord or reply to this post.

A short guide on how to properly set up notifications would be good, or just a general indications at least. Should we be doing only @mentions for the bots to work properly? How do we invoke the notifications for others who are subscribed to a hunt to get them properly?

A short guide on how to properly set up notifications would be good, or just a general indications at least. Should we be doing only @mentions for the bots to work properly? How do we invoke the notifications for others who are subscribed to a hunt to get them properly?

Dealbot should PM you when you join the channel to get you started on the process. Essentially it boils down to going to #dealbot-rolecall and using the "!ranks" command to see a list of roles you can join.

From there, all you have to do is type "!rank [role name here]" to be given that role, and that's it. From then on - or until you use that command again - you'll be registered to get notifications for that classification of deal/hunt.

To ping/notify other users of a deal - let's say, for a Switch game - you'd go to the #deals-talk channel and ping the @Switch Deals role with a link to the sale you found. It's that easy.

TheExodu5

Banned
Dealbot should PM you when you join the channel to get you started on the process. Essentially it boils down to going to #dealbot-rolecall and using the "!ranks" command to see a list of roles you can join.

From there, all you have to do is type "!rank [role name here]" to be given that role, and that's it.

From then on - or until you use that command again - you'll be registered to get notifications for that classification of deal/hunt.

So the channel/server settings notifications have no impact whatsoever?

So the channel/server settings notifications have no impact whatsoever?

If you have a channel/server set to mute, you won't get any notifications from it.

In much the same way, you don't get any notifications for roles you aren't signed up for.

As long as you have it set to @mentions only or more, however, you'll get all relevant notifications that you've signed up to receive. (Assuming you, again, haven't muted anything.)

iLLmAtlc

has this happened to other amazon credit card users before?

my bank sent a payment on the 15th, on chase online it shows the transaction date as the 16th and the "posted" date as 19th. now they've charged me interest. payment was due on the 18th.

seems like some bullllshit

chronosic

So, BestBuy sent me Mario Kart 8 and the amiibo which I returned, and then sent me the switch which arrived today. I haven't been charged for the Switch, and there's no pending charges on my CC. Did I just score a free switch?

So, BestBuy sent me Mario Kart 8 and the amiibo which I returned, and then sent me the switch which arrived today. I haven't been charged for the Switch, and there's no pending charges on my CC. Did I just score a free switch?

Assuming nothing pops up in the next few days, it sounds like you might have!

Kyolux

Was in the same scenario. Was charged for the Switch today. But it hasn't yet arrived. So no idea.

MercuryLS3

Enjoy! Zelda on Switch has been one of the most engrossing gaming experiences I've had in a long time, right next to the Kingdom Hearts PS4 collection

Im on vacation right now and staying with my parents. So great to be able to play a full console Zelda game at their place at night. After the shitty DS screens, I'm so happy with the sharp 720p screen with nice viewing angles and colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom