• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how important is the multiplayer aspect of the Souls series to you?

CHC

The game just wouldn't feel quite the same without that feeling in the back of my mind that I could be invaded, or that I could summon on a hard boss fight.

That said, I don't really use the online features much. I platinumed Bloodborne mostly offline, and I really only PvPed for the sake of PvP in Dark Souls II.

Zesh

I don't care much for the PvP, but I like the co-op a lot. I enjoy helping people with tough bosses (also provides an easy way to fight them again).

Massicot

I like summoning for bosses and being summoned for bosses. It's a great feeling with a victory either way.

Don't care about pvp at all in these games.

Juraash

By far the least important thing to me in the entirety of the game. If the option is there, offline with no help and no pvp is my way to go. These games feel best to me as solitary experiences. Invasions, summons, hints, bloodstains and all that stuff clutters the experience for me.

Chris R

Hate being invaded, I just look for the quickest way to kill myself to get it over with. I never summon help or invade other worlds.

The messages can be cool though.

Novocaine

Is this a stealth Switch port begging thread?

Anyway the online aspect is an integral part of the game as far as I'm concerned.

Opa-Pa

If I had to give up one thing from these games, it'd probably be that.

I mean I think it's a neat thing, I enjoy the bloodstains especially and sometimes helping out people by getting summoned, but I don't care much about it. I recently got The Surge and it having no online has made absolutely no difference to me.

Invasions are the worst parts of the game and can kill pacing. If they made another game in the series I wouldn't be upset if they completely eliminated the feature entirely.

I liked the hints and would be bummed if they got rid of them. Co-op was fun as well, but so had no interest in using it for my first run throughs of the game.

Haluko

Im not a big PVPer so I don't care much that part. I do think its an important part of the series. I like the unpredictability of getting invaded, it adds to the dread of the setting. I think seeing peoples ghosts and signs is really cool too. Ive been startled by a player's ghost coming around a corner. All this adds to the horror vibe of the game.

Summoning players, or helping others is fun too. I like helping others fight bosses I found fun. So overall i think multiplayer is a huge part of the game, and if you ignore it you are missing part of what makes the game special.

Whales

Banned
I didnt get much into pvp until dark soula 3 to be honest

but once you do start PvPing its pretty fun, at this point id say multiplayer is moderately important for me.

Also invading is fun :D

when ringed city launched and it took less than a sec to invade, I was having ton of fun

Sanctuary

Not that important at all. I enjoy that it's there, and the messages and being able to view bloodstains is a nice feature, but I play the game offline more than online, so I don't really need them, and wouldn't miss them. PvP does nothing for me. It's primarily a lag issue though, not the idea behind it. Now maybe if everyone had a stable connection my opinion would differ, but I have zero tolerance for lag in PvP or fighting games in general. Unfortunaltey that's pretty much the status quo now.

I love getting summoned and helping out the newbies. Adds a nice layer to the game for me personally after I either solo or npc summon my way through everything.

Rocketz

I really enjoy it. I like helping people on bosses or getting some extra help on the more difficult ones that I can't seem to beat myself.
Nameless King

The fight pit in DS3 was really fun when I played. If the lag would of been better I would have done that for longer.

Also don't give up, skeleton!

Sullichin

Multiplayer blew my mind in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. I liked the PVP in 2 and 3 but I miss invading and chasing people across entire levels like Sen's Fortress. Or showing people secret paths.

Not important at all. I like co-op with friends but I don't enjoy PvP at all. Most of my time in Soulsborne games is usually solo anyway, sometimes an NPC phantom.

Insaniac

extremely important. I always play souls games with my friends because it is so much fun to explore the strange crazy world

Bogler

Neo Member
I've played DS only offline and, storywise and conceptwise, they are fundamentally solo games for me. Co-op would ruin the constant fear and struggle caused by being alone.

usp84

I don't play PvP a lot but summoning other and especially getting summoned is pretty important to me.

However I would definitely want a Souls game on Switch even if it is offline.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely the most important part of the Souls games to me. I mean how else am I going to call in 2-3 people to fight a boss for me whilst I stand at the back doing gestures ?

genuinely though I love the online coop and to a lesser extent PvP, it's great fun. Though I mostly played Bloodborne offline, the coop in that was so bad on release for me connection wise I could barely play with anyone

Not much. They're mostly solo affairs for me, but I appreciate that it's there.

PVP: useless to me.
Co-op: underutilized by me but, again, appreciated.

Lelcar

Being able to summon and be summoned is 100% of the appeal for me. I wouldn't play any Souls that didn't have that feature

masterkajo

Hugely important. I always play through the game alone once and then coop ith with friend or help others clear areas, defeat bosses or invaders. I love the covenants that summon you to help other players when they get invaded. Really great to help someone out when he is about to die and you save him.
Also, the thrill of being invaded the first time you play through the game. No NPC or boss fight comes close as to face off against a human opponent. Great game design, IMO.

Least important aspect IMO. I played Bloodborne & Dark Souls 3 almost entirely offline because I prefer to go solo. I dabble in Nioh's online from time to time, but only because it's the fastest way to earn Glory and get transformations.

Yogg

I don't care about Pvp, appart from grinding a covenant, that I sometimes wish I "didn't have to".

I do like the optional help on bosses, as I used it on a few occasions in most of my first playthroughs. And I like the ability to grind a few extra souls helping others after I beat a boss.

The soapstone messages are a great feature. I got a few laughs and reached secrets I wouldn't have otherwise (better than the looking-it-up-online version).

I'm not a fan of bosses with pvp mechanics. It's an original surprise at first, but always gets annoying.

I do think it's integral to the whole concept tho; each one of those games drops you alone in a very dark and hostile world, and the occasional multiplayer interaction can be a great relief or a fun distraction.

Overall I prefer it. I've gone offline on a couple of instances when I didn't want outside interferences, and I like having that choice.

Wagram

Least important really. I do like that we're connected with messages and what not, but i'm not one for PvP.

batrush

put 100s of hours into these games, not once touched multiplayer/npc summoning. these games are pure single player experiences for me

The most gun co-op experience I've had in the last few years (maybe ever) came from playing Souls games with my friends. So very important. PvP I don't like though.

mikeGFG

Banned
I think I summoned someone one time across all three games.

Also the PVP is rife with cheaters, not even worth engaging with.

None at all. I stopped clicking on the messages, as most were trolling, and I don't summon people. And I hate being invaded, so I play offline as it is.

Nose Master

I enjoyed people dropping in to my game to murder me, usually. Was kind of bummed how much they limited that in ds3 and bb. Never did a ton of invading myself.

PvP in souls is kind of shitty, though.

I like the "passive multiplayer" elements of the Souls series. I like watching people that died near my position, messages either trying to deceive me or helping me and the occasional phantom running around. I also like the feeling of knowing that I could be randomly invaded (when it works, I hate them when they're laggy as hell)

But I never willingly use the "active" multiplayer element of the games. I've only invaded once or twice in my entire Souls career (all games, currently playing DS3) and I've only summoned for help once or twice in the original Dark Souls, when I was starting.

Perhaps it is because I've never played any of them alongside a friend, but as it is stands right now for me, there would be no real difference to me if they removed the active multiplayer element of the game in an hypothetical Dark Souls 4 or Bloodborne 2, other than the invasions, but I'm sure they could make them AI with player data instead and would be the same.

They could remove it entirely and I wouldn't personally be affected. I think messages can be hilarious but I always have them off for the first playthrough as they can spoil some encounters and ruin the atmosphere if they're littered all over the ground. The PVP itself seems alright but the way it's set up is pretty convoluted, kinda wish there was a pvp arena thing you could launch from the main menu. I do like getting invaded though, that's one thing I miss when I go offline.

the pve? I never use it except for sometimes ng+(or ++ etc.) when I'm going against a super hard boss and don't feel like beating it again

Van Bur3n

I could easily play Souls without it, but I still like it. One if the most unique takes a multiplayer taking part in the worlds of others. Be you there to help them or become an enemy in their environment.

As terrible as it is, I love invasions. Tis a fine feeling to force my way into another's game and toy with them.

ghibli99

PvP isn't important to me, although the fear of getting invaded definitely elevates the game's intensity. I like all the notes though... even the dumb joke/immature ones.

ChrisD

Wouldn't even notice it missing. Played Bloodborne entirely offline and preferred it over DS3 online. I'm just not a big fan of invasions/PvP in general, and 90% of the time the messages on the ground just say "try but hole" or "thrust but hole"

Chibot

I wouldn't miss it if there were no multiplayer. Sometimes the hints are nice, but I'd honestly rather be surprised and figure things out myself. I took advantage of help for bosses in Demon's and Dark Souls, but then realized I wasn't getting much better at the series. I stopped doing it half-way through DSII and have gone solo through Bloodborne, DSIII and SotFS.

I love messages and bloodstains.
PvP I hate with a passion because lag turns it into a incomprehensible clusterfuck (I got parried 5 secs after attacking, backstabbed from 10m away, backstabbed from the front, etc...).
Co-op I'm indifferent towards.

Griss

I'm that rare guy who thinks that the games are better offline, at least for a first playthrough.

It's not the multiplayer I dislike, it's the messaging system, which in my opinion is a very poor piece of game design. That's not a popular opinion, but it's how I feel.

Once I've solo'd the game I like to go back and do co-op and get invaded etc. It's just a shame you can't have invasions without the messages.

Top Bottom