• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 3 Q&A and impressions

Avalon

Prime crotch said:
Troika died but the community fixed some of the bugs. The worse part isn't the bugs which aren't game breaking its simply the coding that can make even a rig that can run Crysis on ultra settings have a hard time playing the game smoothly. It's still fully playable and one of the best RPGs I've ever played but the overall wonkiness of the perfomance can be annoying.

Did you try lowering the games priority to low? Once I did that, the memory leaks were either fixed or they were so gradual that they never got to the point where they seriously compromised the gameplay.

High recommended game, it's what all modern CRPGs should work towards in terms of dialogue and character interactions.

golem

TreIII said:
Then why all this cloak and dagger? If they can incorporate these things, then by all means, tell us SOMETHING about it. It'd be good news to hear! It'd also do more to ease the few worries I have, as well as do more to shut up the people at NMA for at least a FEW minutes... :lol
lol i just read the thread there.. first they called me a liar then illiterate.. hahah

Avalon said:
Did you try lowering the games priority to low? Once I did that, the memory leaks were either fixed or they were so gradual that they never got to the point where they seriously compromised the gameplay.

High recommended game, it's what all modern CRPGs should work towards in terms of dialogue and character interactions.
It was a few years ago but I remember I couldn't run it at high settings. My PC is not that good of a rig, it's a...8 year old PC now I think. The only saving grace of it, is his 9500 modded into a 9700. But anyway when the game came out I was in the medium range the requirements, but even on low the game had a shit perfomance on some areas. It's weird really, one some open areas it ran good, but others like the beach area with those breedless vampires it ran poorly.

Durante

I only played it fairly recently, and with the latest official & community patches I got through the whole game without encountering a single bug. Also, I played at 1600*1200 with 4xAA, full AF and transparency AA and it was smooth throughout. (My rig at the time was a 2.6 GHz A64, 1 gig of good RAM and a 8800 GTS 320.)

Highly highly recommended game.

Durante

The environments do look very Fallout-ish, I have to give them that. The overall graphics aren't very impressive compared to most other stuff coming out of E3, but that's not at all important. Good thing my PC will have AA though :lol

ethelred

Durante said:
The environments do look very Fallout-ish, I have to give them that. The overall graphics aren't very impressive compared to most other stuff coming out of E3, but that's not at all important.

I think the game looks a lot better than those three screenshots might lead you to think. They don't really do justice to a lot of what Fallout 3 is showing off visually.

Quazar

So, wait. They showed F3 behind closed doors or something? You actually get to play it or did someone play it in front of you? Where's the previews??!

EDIT: Or is no one is allowed to talk about it?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Celebrities only Ron Perlman?
That's all thats been announced? He wasnt the uh... only one in the demo

Phthisis

Quazar said:
So, wait. They showed F3 behind closed doors or something? You actually get to play it or did someone play it in front of you? Where's the previews??!

The devs played the first 45 minutes of the game or so at at their booth while a theater of journalists watched. It was effing amazing. I'm working on a preview right now, so I'll post it as soon as it's done.

Quazar

Phthisis said:
The devs played the first 45 minutes of the game or so at at their booth while a theater of journalists watched. It was effing amazing. I'm working on a preview right now, so I'll post it as soon as it's done.

THANK YOU. Damn I wish I could see it. :((((((((

ethelred

Avalon said:
Is this based on it's own merits or because it managed to stay to true to the Fallout name?

I think the only fair way is to evaluate it on its own merits as a game, don't you? I think what was shown was phenomenal, really, and very exciting to me (even as someone who was never really enthused by earlier Bethesda games, to boot).

Phthisis said:
Truth. I went to the Bethesda presentation today, and all I can say about it is:

Holeeeeeeey Balls. Amazing shit.

Yup. Great show.

Quazar said:
Where's the previews??!

Here you go.

TreIII

epmode said:
But another stat still does, right? Charisma?

Yeah, but it just won't be the same without the ability to either have a character who can spout off loads of technobabble that nobody else would understand, or, on the other hand, a character that's as dumb as a rock, and everybody else gets wierded out because of it. It was one of the many things that gave the original games their humor, and I'll definitely miss it this time.

Hopefully, INT will be tied to other things, because otherwise, the losers at NMA will actually have a point in that it may end up being a "dump stat".

Any way...for right now, my spirits are mostly high, especially after I read these positive remarks in blogs and articles. Again, I just want a lot of what I loved about the originals to come back, while still being able to blend in a good deal of whatever new flavor Bethesda can inject.

Shoot, I live in Columbia, MD...I could probably drive up to their front door and ask 'em myself, if I was so inclined...(and could force/charm/sneak my way past security...depending on my SPECIAL stats...) :lol :lol

Avalon

ethelred said:
I think the only fair way is to evaluate it on its own merits as a game, don't you? I think what was shown was phenomenal, really, and very exciting to me (even as someone who was never really enthused by earlier Bethesda games, to boot).

That's fine and if it was an original project I would agree completely. But what's the point of using the license if you are not going to remain faithful to the franchise? Part of me is really relieved that it looks like it's turning into a really good first-person action RPG. The other part of me is pissed though. My only hope now is that they truly capture that frantic feeling of trying to survive. I fear these qualities will be gone because they will try to make the game accessible to everyone.

Armitage

Dragona Akehi said:
INT doesn't change dialogue. :(

I've seen so many people say this. Can you explain why this is such a big deal, keeping in mind I've never touched a Fallout game in my life?

Jenga

Banned
Armitage said:
I've seen so many people say this. Can you explain why this is such a big deal, keeping in mind I've never touched a Fallout game in my life?
It made a big difference towards what your character could understand or do. Let's say, your character has a high INT. He could have access to quests lower INT couldn't, you could even talk your way out of fights. You could even beat the boss without fighting, using reason to make the enemy or final boss understand why they shouldn't fight. A low INT means your character is basically retarded. Can't form any proper sentences, and literally has dialog choices like "UGG!" or "Ghh!?".

Ark-AMN

Banned
Playing through Oblivion again now and reading this makes me want this game so much more, because it looks to both fix the problems with Oblivion (level scaling, Console interface on PC) and at the same time stay relatively true to the Fallout story.

I just want Deathclaws! :D

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Dragona Akehi said:
INT doesn't change dialogue. :(

It's changes like this that make me truly long for Van Buren... Having read the design doc it really would have been an amazing game... Sigh. It was 95% done too!

Clevinger

Takeda Kenshi said:
Van Buren... Having read the design doc it really would have been an amazing game... Sigh. It was 95% done too!

No, no it wasn't. It got canceled in December, and they'd hoped beforehand (though it sounds like it might have been overoptimistic and would have missed the date) that they could have it out by the next winter holidays. It was around half done, if not somewhat less.

Clevinger

Jenga said:
It made a big difference towards what your character could understand or do. Let's say, your character has a high INT. He could have access to quests lower INT couldn't, you could even talk your way out of fights. You could even beat the boss without fighting, using reason to make the enemy or final boss understand why they shouldn't fight. A low INT means your character is basically retarded. Can't form any proper sentences, and literally has dialog choices like "UGG!" or "Ghh!?".

Regardless of dumb speak, they've already said speech is one of the three ways they're trying to make as a viable option in the game alongside stealth and combat. It sounds like it's just wholly dependent on your speech skill (and charisma?) this time.

golem

ethelred said:
Yup. Great show.
yeah I don't know if I made it super clear in my first post or not, but at first i was a little questionable about this game. But after seeing the demo, I'm really looking forward to it!

golem said:
Thanks to Emil, Todd and Pete for the demo and answering all these questions and thanks to fellow gaffers for your input!

Weather system?

Yes.

Wicked. Thanks for asking them my question!

Jenga

Banned
Clevinger said:
Regardless of dumb speak, they've already said speech is one of the three ways they're trying to make as a viable option in the game alongside stealth and combat. It sounds like it's just wholly dependent on your speech skill (and charisma?) this time.
Doesn't sound too bad. If it weren't for the dialog options in the originals, I've would've thrown the extra points into perception or endurance.

White Man

Prime crotch said:
Troika died but the community fixed some of the bugs. The worse part isn't the bugs which aren't game breaking its simply the coding that can make even a rig that can run Crysis on ultra settings have a hard time playing the game smoothly. It's still fully playable and one of the best RPGs I've ever played but the overall wonkiness of the perfomance can be annoying.

Most modern PCs can run the game without a hitch (although there are still a number of bugs and glitches). If you want to play Bloodlines, go buy it on Steam (it's really cheap) and apply the fan patch. Great game.

Heck, I played through it in Vista.

Clevinger

Yeah, Bloodlines plays like shit on my system even with the patches, yet it remains one of my favorite games. No one should miss playing it, especially anyone who likes Fallout.

Decado

Clevinger said:
Dumb speak would double both the writing and VO work. While it's funny, is it worth that trade-off?
The trade off would be not to have voice overs for every line of dialog.

But wait! Bethesda's target audience can't read. Never mind.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Are they actually going to voice the protagonists dialog? That's really unnecessary I think... I'm mean, it's gonna be ****-annoying if the line of dialog is cued when you mouse over it, and if it's voiced after you have chosen your line, you've already read it! stoopid.

White Man said:
Most modern PCs can run the game without a hitch (although there are still a number of bugs and glitches). If you want to play Bloodlines, go buy it on Steam (it's really cheap) and apply the fan patch. Great game.

Heck, I played through it in Vista.
When I get my so long awaited PC upgrade I'll get the game again, even though I've already finished back when it came out it's a really great CRPG.
Clevinger said:
I doubt they'll voice player character lines when neither Oblivion or the previous Fallout games did.
Doubt that as well, they might have some voice clips though but not entire dialogs.

Top Bottom