• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just borrowed $40,000 and want to start a business. Ideas?

I am a licensed CPA but I don't have enough experience to open my own firm and I'm starting to think that it was the wrong career for me because accounting is boring

I think this kind of demonstrates that you're probably right, and maybe it is a good time to do some soul searching and try a different career path.

But don't do that with a $40k loan hanging over your head. Give the money back and then start exploring your options without the interest clock ticking over your head.

Wait,

Can you even get a business loan without a business plan and all kids of shit prepared beforehand?

Most of it was through a personal loan. The rest was through an SBA loan and I did give them a comprehensive and thorough business plan and cash flow projection.

Someone above made a good point that I could be in violation of that loan if I do something else with it. So if my original idea does fall through then yeah, it'll be time to just return it.

Rival

Gold Member
This makes less sense than Enzo Amore being the cruiserweight champion. Give the money back before you go bankrupt.

ZeoVGM

Banned
You could let me borrow like $3,000. Just for a few months.

(But if not, yeah, you should probably just give that back.)

(After letting me borrow $3,000.)

Seik

Banned
Dude OP you've got it backward.

Usually you borrow the money once you have some kind of foundations of an idea, a plan, SOMETHING!

Give it back and borrow once you've made a solid plan.

Well that was fast. I guess that probably is my best bet. It just bums me out to think about going back to a normal 9-5 job again. Thanks guys

Are you fucking with us? Because otherwise someone at the bank really fucked up by approving that loan. Playing with debt money can get very serious very quickly. The banks are relentless and won't stop until they pulled your life inside out. You should be thankful to go back to that 9-5 job of yours.

Brakke

Banned
All on black, baby!!

Roulette-2.png

I need for you to tell me why you thought it was a good idea to get a huge loan and accrue interest before you had a business idea to use the money on.

It's going to kill me if I don't find out.

he had one, he even says so in the OP

Too bad it didn't work out Lunarian last you talked about your idea you sounded like you had most things figured out, aside from the viability.

The fact that you're an accountant makes this thread even more confusing. Just return it, take the hit on fees/interest and take this as a lesson in doing your due diligence in the future.

I had a business idea and borrowed money to get it started, but right now it looks like my idea might not work.

So now I have $40,000 that I borrowed from banks and, assuming that I'm right and my original idea won't work, I am looking for other ideas.

I like to play board games and puzzles. I've been into Magic the Gathering for 23 years. I follow politics very closely and consider myself a left wing social justice warrior. I am a licensed CPA but I don't have enough experience to open my own firm and I'm starting to think that it was the wrong career for me because accounting is boring. I like musical theory but I'm not very talented at performing. I really enjoy ballroom dancing and spent 9 months as an instructor at Arthur Murray. I am not very charismatic in person usually. I am an okay writer, but not good enough to make a career of it. I currently own three houses, two of which I am renting out at a tiny profit, and I am interested in eventually acquiring more real estate but I don't think I have enough capital to actually do that. I think I would make a great director for either movies or theater but I have no idea how to hone that skill.

I am paying interest on this money so I can't just give it away.

I don't want to invest it in some other business because I can't make a living off of that.

I am not a rich man so $40k is just about all I'll be able to spare.

That's all. I'm just looking for ideas here. Thanks folks

You have no idea how the real world works.

What did you think was going to happen when you got that money? Seriously?

Well that was fast. I guess that probably is my best bet. It just bums me out to think about going back to a normal 9-5 job again. Thanks guys

Thank you for taking their advice.

I like to play board games and puzzles. I've been into Magic the Gathering for 23 years. I follow politics very closely and consider myself a left wing social justice warrior. I am a licensed CPA but I don't have enough experience to open my own firm and I'm starting to think that it was the wrong career for me because accounting is boring. I like musical theory but I'm not very talented at performing. I really enjoy ballroom dancing and spent 9 months as an instructor at Arthur Murray. I am not very charismatic in person usually. I am an okay writer, but not good enough to make a career of it. I currently own three houses, two of which I am renting out at a tiny profit, and I am interested in eventually acquiring more real estate but I don't think I have enough capital to actually do that. I think I would make a great director for either movies or theater but I have no idea how to hone that skill.
incredulous.gif

Kevtones

Don't tell us you quit your CPA job too?

I am impressed you somehow got $40k for a fundamentally flawed business plan. Means you've got either charm or credentials.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Your easiest path forward is to either return the money or purchase another rental property. I don't know how cheap the houses are in the poor parts of where you live but they often generate good cash income especially if they're section 8.

If you can't purchase a rental property with $40,000 then I would return the money.

I'm an accountant also and yeah the work is boring but I would keep at it until you either get promoted to a position that's more interesting, get enough experience to start your own business, or work long enough until you can develop a business plan.

Being an accounting grunt is awful work but at many corporations you'll eventually get promoted out of the monotony and into something a lot less structured and more self driven. If you own your own small CPA firm eventually, the aspects of running the business and dealing with clients is not monotonous either.

When did you get the money? Should have bought some ETH or LTC 3 days ago then cash out today. Return the 40k and pocket the profit.

adj_noun

Put half in blue chip sub-prime derivative hedge indexes and half in spread trans-atlantic portfolio yield futures.

massoluk

Banned
What shitty bank is this that give you this kind of business loan

You wouldn't get pass the customer service check at my bank without some real concrete business plan

Choomp

Banned
I don't know how this stuff works but why would you borrow money without being 100 percent sure of what you were doing with it?

FooTemps

Give it back. I was only 1/3 of the way to fully funding a brewery expansion, we went for it and it ended up forcing us to close down our whole operation. Don't do it if you haven't spent the time doing homework on a new business and if you haven't raised enough capital to cover the entire scope of work + 50%

Aselith

10 k on lotto tickets on four separate weeks. Due to volume of tickets purchased, you are guaranteed to win at least one of the weeks

he had one, he even says so in the OP

Too bad it didn't work out Lunarian last you talked about your idea you sounded like you had most things figured out, aside from the viability.

Thanks. There's still a chance it might work, but my idea relies on getting access to a Magic card pricing API and the only site that has been even mildly cooperative has been dragging its feet for over a month now so I'm getting skeptical that I'm going to get anywhere with it (plus the clock is ticking).

You refuse to believe people make bad choices?

I take informed risks in my life. This time the risk looks like it may not pan out and I'm going to have to take the hit for it. That doesn't mean I make bad choices.

People said I was crazy for buying three houses as a pizza delivery guy too, but it's been 12 years since that started and it's still working out for me.

Top Bottom