• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

-Horizon-

First time I played Golden, I played on easy. :p

Don't fret too much over it. Normal can be plenty difficult if you don't have the experience with the series to make the best preparations.

I feel like I should've played on easy as well. 70+ hours so far and still only in November. Its very fun though.

Zebetite

Banned
I feel like I should've played on easy as well. 70+ hours so far and still only in November. Its very fun though.

Using the Endurance Run as a metric, Vinny and Jeff were at 77 hours when they beat
Namatame
. You're probably doing fine, Persona games are just heck of long.

-Horizon-

Yeah, definitely a long but still very fun game :)

I don't like the
new fog that rolls into town permanently, ruined the music :(

Forgot to mention I love the music in the
Heaven
dungeon. I hated how It would be interrupted when I had to fight a shadow.

Yeah, definitely a long but still very fun game :)

I don't like the
new fog that rolls into town permanently, ruined the music :(

Ruins a lot of the social link scenes too. It was this month where I ended up maxing out and the character reached their moment of clarity. But that moment is kind of loss when everything is a musty green.

-Horizon-

Ruins a lot of the social link scenes too. It was this month where I ended up maxing out and the character reached their moment of clarity. But that moment is kind of loss when everything is a musty green.

Yes! Dat
color, holy crap. It ruined my confession scene.

Anyway, now chasing after Adachi. The anime already spoiled a whole bunch for me before I ever got the game but I'm still enjoying the ride.

-Horizon-

I just beat
Adachi and the steam punk Death Star, took me a while to best that last thing, it spamming lasers twice in a row didn't help, now in January and Marie is missing and stuff

Fireblend

Banned
Been playing this for the last couple of days, just beat Kanji's dungeon and in the middle of June (I actually think I'm about to get the next storyline-heavy week).

I've played P4 before (never finished it though) and man, this game is so great. I'm so happy I got a Vita for it. I still think the amount of things to do is ridiculously overwhelming though. I'm trying to play it without a guide and just kind of enjoy my first playthrough, but it's really unnerving to know I might not be doing things right and missing important events and I keep checking the GameFAQs walkthroughs to compare.

Also, Doujima is such a shitty parent, at least the first couple of months
KuGsj.gif
I really feel for Nanako.

-Horizon-

Just beat the game, true end
and epilogue

First time

Difficulty - Normal

Time - 105:47

Social Links I didn't max out - Empress, Hanged Man, Death, Temperance, Moon, Sun, Jester

Managed to max out all my self aspects.

Got ~66% in the compendium.

I didn't finish reading every book and I didn't finish every quest
the latter quests for the Heaven dungeon and beyond

I really like
Kaguya's design http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120617200512/megamitensei/images/8/87/Kaguya_hime.jpg
Used her, Satan, and Trumpeter in the final battle

Amazing game, enjoyed every moment of it. I think I'll play the new game+ a little later this year.

Really love the music in this game for the dungeons and battles. Characters were great too, Kanji, you so funny.
Sorry Kanji, I stole Naoto from you.

10 out of 10 game for sure.

Caladrius

Just beat the game, true end
and epilogue
Social Links I didn't max out - Empress, Hanged Man, Death

: (

Managed to max out all my self aspects.

Got ~66% in the compendium.

I didn't finish reading every book and I didn't finish every quest
the latter quests for the Heaven dungeon and beyond

I really like
Kaguya's design http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120617200512/megamitensei/images/8/87/Kaguya_hime.jpg
Used her, Satan, and Trumpeter in the final battle

You have good taste in Personers.

Amazing game, enjoyed every moment of it. I think I'll play the new game+ a little later this year.

Really love the music in this game for the dungeons and battles. Characters were great too, Kanji, you so funny.
Sorry Kanji, I stole Naoto from you.

10 out of 10 game for sure.

Have you played Persona 3 yet? I greatly prefer 4 but it's still a pretty solid game that's worth playing.

-Horizon-

: (

You have good taste in Personers.

Have you played Persona 3 yet? I greatly prefer 4 but it's still a pretty solid game that's worth playing.

Aww, why the :( ?

And no I haven't played P3 yet. I want to but a part of me wants to believe that Atlus will put out a remake. I heard that theres 2 updated versions of P3 but they both lack something each or something.

Caladrius

Aww, why the :( ?

And no I haven't played P3 yet. I want to but a part of me wants to believe that Atlus will put out a remake. I heard that theres 2 updated versions of P3 but they both lack something each or something.

You missed two of the best social links!

And It's unlikely we're going to get a rerelease anytime soon what with Persona 5 coming (and there still being 1-2 films left before the movie series ends). Persona 3 Portable should be up for grabs on the Vita for like 20$ though. (or FES for 10$-15$ on PS3)

-Horizon-

Yukiko. But only for the trophy. As much as I wanted a "romantic relationship" with another character, none of them really caught my attention outside of Chie. Still though, made the most out of the relationship scenarios.
I was sad when I said "you're a good friend" for her social link or something along those lines.

You missed two of the best social links!

And It's unlikely we're going to get a rerelease anytime soon what with Persona 5 coming (and there still being 1-2 films left before the movie series ends). Persona 3 Portable should be up for grabs on the Vita for like 20$ though. (or FES for 10$-15$ on PS3)
Which one is better though?

LX_Theo

Banned
FES is more or less the definitive version of P3. P3 Portable updates the battle mechanics so that they're closer to P4 and gives you the chance to play as a lady. I'd go FES so that you don't lose out on the cutscenes.

At the same time, P3P has the better combat and more quality content.

I personally prefer P3P. Really, either work. The better one is the one whose flaws don't bother you as much.

Since you were like me and were annoyed by the
green fog,
I suggest FES over P3P, although I haven't played P3P myself yet. Presentation means a lot when conveying the more powerful moments of that story.

-Horizon-

At the same time, P3P has the better combat and more quality content.

I personally prefer P3P. Really, either work. The better one is the one whose flaws don't bother you as much.

Since you were like me and were annoyed by the
green fog,
I suggest FES over P3P, although I haven't played P3P myself yet. Presentation means a lot when conveying the more powerful moments of that story.

Hmmm, gonna look up more about what the 2 offer. Maybe if I put this off long enough, a remake with all the features will be made lol

LX_Theo

Banned
Ya know, I think the "killer" was spoiled for me when I was looking into that new Persona 4 Arena game. Ah well.

Lesson... Don't look too much into the prerelease material for the sequel to the story sequel of a game. Of course. I have no idea exactly what you saw, so who know's if you're making the right conclusion there.

SlickVic

94 hours of play time and just over 4 months since I started, I finally reached the ending to P4G. I basically bought a Vita to play the game as I really enjoyed P3P a few years back, so my expectations were set rather high for the game. I'm glad I bought it, as this was one of my favorite all time gaming experiences, and it feels a bit bittersweet to see it's finally over. The game really captures the passage of time as the events unfold over Inaba, between the main plot and all the support characters that are quite well developed for the most part. Reaching the end really made me appreciate just how much there was to experience over the past 94 hours. Sure, there's some fluff to pad the hour count such as a little grinding, but for the most part, the game's length felt it was appropriately justified by meaningful content.

I guess it's off to playing P4A now, and joining everyone in the wait for P5.

Shahadan

Does Yosuke become something else than a dick and a creep later? I kinda liked him in the first hours or so but now (camping trip) it's really hard to resist the urge to punch him in the groin.

Guess Who

Banned
Does Yosuke become something else than a dick and a creep later? I kinda liked him in the first hours or so but now (camping trip) it's really hard to resist the urge to punch him in the groin.

The camping trip has probably his most hate-worthy scenes. Outside of that, he's always kind of a dick to Kanji but otherwise he's mostly just a normal dude like you saw in the first few hours.

Z..

Started P3:FES on my PS3 last week. Played ~15 hours and was loving it... And then my TV died!

It'll be a couple of weeks before the replacement arrives, and the crave for more was getting cumbersome, so I caved and bought P4G for my Vita...
About to start it now.

I know I'm doing it wrong, but I hust can't wait!

How hard will going back to P3:FES be after playing this?

Ourobolus

Banned
Started P3:FES on my PS3 last week. Played ~15 hours and was loving it... And then my TV died!

It'll be a couple of weeks before the replacement arrives, and the crave for more was getting cumbersome, so I caved and bought P4G for my Vita...
About to start it now.

I know I'm doing it wrong, but I hust can't wait!

How hard will going back to P3:FES be after playing this?

You will miss the controllable party members. That said, it won't be unBEARable.

Fireblend

Banned
Well, I finally beat Persona 4 Golden, after leaving the original P4 incomplete on PS2 well over 4 years ago and trying to beat it several times since. I knew once I got a Vita last month this was the time to beat it, and yesterday I got to the game's true ending, about 70 hours in (which seems kinda low from what I've read, but I swear I didn't skip a thing!).

What an amazing, amazing game. I think the story dragged for a while, specially after
Namatame and all the false endings
but in the end I loved how much of an epilogue it had.

I think I'll wait before doing my second playthrough though; I'll probably beat Gravity Rush and Danganronpa first. Next time around I'm definitely going for all maxed out social links (I think I missed around 5 on this playthrough), all quests and hopefully getting a bit more into the fusion system (I'll need to if I want to max out Margaret, anyway). I went through most of the endgame with Kaguya and Metatron, with whom I was fairly happy, but I'd also like to try some of the ultimate personas.

An awesome experience all around. Might give P3 a shot in the future (similarly to P4, I gave up on it about 10 hours in a few years ago).

Manus

Oh man. At first I couldn't stand the soundtrack in this, now I can't get enough of it. I catch myself singing it while at work now. It's just so goooood.

-Horizon-

I'm thinking of being a jerkface and romancing all the girls on my current new game+ run.
I know of the consequences but I still want to do it lol

lionpants

I just picked up a Vita and decided to pick up Persona 4 Golden along with it due to all the praise it gets after not having played any of the previous Personas.

I forced myself to get through the slow start until I finally got to some game play. I have just cleared the castle and am about to view the midnight channel for the second time (I assume someone else will be kidnapped, opening a new world soon). I enjoy the battles and the story seems like it might be decent. But, I just can't help being bored most of the time I am playing, even the dungeon floors in the castle were all repetitive and enemy design doesn't seem to be my thing.

I'm about 12-15 hours in and just can't seem to build up the will to continue on, I am really close to shelving it but feel like I should give it another chance. I'm not sure what it is, maybe it's not just my type of game (RPGs, and some JRPGs are my fave genres though), maybe it's because I usually try and get 100% in a game and feel that due to all the choices in the game I am going to miss a bunch which demoralizes me into not wanting to play it and I know that playing it again in NG+ to get 100% will be super boring and tedious because the dialogue/story will not be fresh. Maybe it's just because I'm an older gamer now and I know that my time is more valuable and I could be playing something else in my backlog that has more of an impact.

There doesn't seem to be that sense of progression grab that pulls me into RPGs and keeps me hooked to see what new powers/skills I will unlock next. A minor thing that annoys me about the skills/magic in this game is how they're named. I can never remember what the status ailment skills do and constantly have to read descriptions, I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

Should I stick with it or is my progress in the game enough to close it down and shelve it?

Ourobolus

Banned
Disclaimer: This is one of my favorite games, and I'm glad you at least gave it a shot. That said...

I forced myself to get through the slow start until I finally got to some game play. I have just cleared the castle and am about to view the midnight channel for the second time (I assume someone else will be kidnapped, opening a new world soon). I enjoy the battles and the story seems like it might be decent. But, I just can't help being bored most of the time I am playing, even the dungeon floors in the castle were all repetitive and enemy design doesn't seem to be my thing.

That doesn't change much throughout the game. Each dungeon has its own style, but yeah, several floors of randomization + a couple set floors each time.
The story IS good, and does change up a bit as the game goes on, and the characters are all really well done, IMO. Battles are also fun and challenging throughout.
On this point, I'd say if you enjoy the battles and story enough, it can help you push through the dungeons, which thankfully aren't terribly long.

I'm about 12-15 hours in and just can't seem to build up the will to continue on, I am really close to shelving it but feel like I should give it another chance. I'm not sure what it is, maybe it's not just my type of game (RPGs, and some JRPGs are my fave genres though), maybe it's because I usually try and get 100% in a game and feel that due to all the choices in the game I am going to miss a bunch which demoralizes me into not wanting to play it and I know that playing it again in NG+ to get 100% will be super boring and tedious because the dialogue/story will not be fresh. Maybe it's just because I'm an older gamer now and I know that my time is more valuable and I could be playing something else in my backlog that has more of an impact.
It's really, really unexpected that you'll get 100% of all S Links and whatnot the first time through. Golden does give you more leeway than the original game, but it's still rough for a newcomer in that regard. That said, there's really no reason to get all of the social links completed. You should be able to max a good chunk of them by the end of the game, and the Personas they unlock are decent but not required to beat the game.

There doesn't seem to be that sense of progression grab that pulls me into RPGs and keeps me hooked to see what new powers/skills I will unlock next. A minor thing that annoys me about the skills/magic in this game is how they're named. I can never remember what the status ailment skills do and constantly have to read descriptions, I'm sure I'll get used to it though.
Well you just kinda get used to the names. Elements are pretty simple, so are stat buffs/reductions. Status Ailments can be a little tricky I suppose, but it IS pretty simple to also check what each skill does. Is it really much different than say, remembering what an Echo Screen or a Soft do in Final Fantasy? Just personal preference, I suppose.

Should I stick with it or is my progress in the game enough to close it down and shelve it?
I'm not sure, really. Some of your criticisms I can understand, but some of it is pretty negligible (like maybe writing down what skills do?).

Ultimately, do you like it? If you do, press on. If not, take a break/shelve it!

A minor thing that annoys me about the skills/magic in this game is how they're named. I can never remember what the status ailment skills do and constantly have to read descriptions, I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

At the stage you're at in the game I was really finding it difficult to remember what all the skills are etc - but you really do get used to it. They aren't as obvious as something like Final Fantasy where it might be called Fire rather than Agi etc BUT they do follow a formula and you will learn as you go along.

This game is huge, I'm still not all the way through and I feel like I've bee playing forever. Personally, I'd at least go through the next dungeon and the following bit of story just to see if it can click with you at some point.

But it's a huge game, and you simply won't be able to finish if that click doesn't happen.

LX_Theo

Banned
In general, RPGs are the type of game you want to give another chance when you feel as though you're losing the will to continue. They are very hard to get back into later on, and its worth the shot to get that thing that pulls you in by playing it a bit more.

lionpants

Thanks guys, I think I'll give it another shot tonight.

I agree; the story, characters, voice acting (Except Chie, can't stand her and try to read her lines and press X as fast as possible. Enjoying Yosuke a lot though.) are all very well done. These are probably what have held me this long. (Nanako is so cute! Ryotaro really neglects her though, I mean what's up with her doing all the house work and cooking dinner lol) The fact that I was able to type all of their names from my head and not look them up says something.

Like I said, the skill names are not a big deal and I will get used to them. Just a minor annoyance.

A few questions:
- Should I just focus on a few Personas (spread the magic elements out across 3 or so), and fuse for higher level ones to replace my core? I feel like using more than a couple thins their levels too much.

- You don't have to manage the other party member's Personas right? They will always have the single static Persona?

- Do you eventually unlock an ability to fully identify a new enemy? Using every magic element on each new enemy simply to identify their weaknesses gets pretty tedious.

- What's up with enemies that have a bunch of HP and seem to be resistant against all elements? Am I missing something? (The Princes in the castle as an example)

- Restoring SP; I assume there's a better way then buying out the pop every week from the vending machines/going to sleepy time?

Ourobolus

Banned

I agree; the story, characters, voice acting (Except Chie, can't stand her and try to read her lines and press X as fast as possible. Enjoying Yosuke a lot though.) are all very well done. These are probably what have held me this long. (Nanako is so cute! Ryotaro really neglects her though, I mean what's up with her doing all the house work and cooking dinner lol) The fact that I was able to type all of their names from my head and not look them up says something.
Ugh I hate Chie's new VA. The old one was so much better. But that's neither here nor there.

A few questions:
- Should I just focus on a few Personas (spread the magic elements out across 3 or so), and fuse for higher level ones to replace my core? I feel like using more than a couple thins their levels too much.
You should always fuse at some point. It's up to you whether you want to wait until they learn all of their skills or not though. But after they learn all their skills, unless you want to keep them around for their resistances or because you REALLY need a skill they have that won't transfer via fusion, you should fuse them.

Keep a full stock (minus some room to get some from cards). The various strengths/resistances are useful for all sorts of situations.

- You don't have to manage the other party member's Personas right? They will always have the single static Persona?
Yes and no. They upgrade their personas eventually, but that's dependent on you maxing their social links. As for managing, you get to determine what skills they replace once they learn 8 skills.

- Do you eventually unlock an ability to fully identify a new enemy? Using every magic element on each new enemy simply to identify their weaknesses gets pretty tedious.
Nope, not that I can recall. It's not too bad though.

- What's up with enemies that have a bunch of HP and seem to be resistant against all elements? Am I missing something? (The Princes in the castle as an example)
Not everything has a weakness. Use buffs and debuffs to your advantage (lower his defense, increase your offense, etc.). Also, those Kings are weak to Instant Death (Hama/Mudo), IIRC, so you can always try those "elements" out too.

- Restoring SP; I assume there's a better way then buying out the pop every week from the vending machines/going to sleepy time?
Yes. Eventually you can pay someone to restore your SP at the dungeon entrance. It's expensive, but as you level up that S link the price per SP goes down.

LX_Theo

Banned

Like I said, the skill names are not a big deal and I will get used to them. Just a minor annoyance.

A few questions:

- Fusion is very important. Its a much quicker way of increasing the levels of your personas than grinding them up. Highly suggested as long as you make sure to keep your bases covered elementally and general skills wise.

- You'll have to manage their skills once they start getting more than the 8 slots there, but that's it. They also have their Personas awaken into more powerful forms via the socials links.

- Eventually you'll have a social link for the navigator, and that social link unlocks a lot of abilities, including ones that enhance your ability to tell the weakness of enemies. The most extensive is that they do a scan at the beginning of battle and reveal one shadow's weaknesses.

- Some don't have any, but don't forget that there are also weaknesses to physical, light, and dark moves. The latter two of which are instant kill elements (and weaknesses make them hit much more easily).

- Shuffle time SP restoration, the SP restore purchases mentioned by another, and good SP management will be the most helpful methods.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Grinding for Rise's "Full Analyze" is annoying. :/ I just want all the weaknesses after three turns like Mitsuru did. WHY.jpg

Guess Who

Banned
Grinding for Rise's "Full Analyze" is annoying. :/ I just want all the weaknesses after three turns like Mitsuru did. WHY.jpg

You can't get Full Analyze until it's practically endgame no matter how much grinding you do, but yeah, I don't think anyone cares for the trial-and-error nature of finding enemy weaknesses.

-Horizon-

OK, I'm ~30 hours into new game+ and I think I've burnt myself with this game. Don't even want to look at it right now lol. I stopped around where Rise just joined up.

On to Bravely Default.

So I'm playing P4 for the first time with the Golden version and I think I screwed up my save.

First, I picked Hard difficulty because I kept hearing about how Normal was so easy. Well, it's fucking hard. I've no clue what to do. I absolutely cannot take down
Shadow Yukiko
because of the stupid Burn to Ashes attack and just generally being a massive damage sponge. Same goes for pretty much every other enemy in the dungeon. I hit them with skills of the element that they are weak against, they still take off maybe 1/8th of their health (weak! ...35 dmg...huh?). Meanwhile in many occasions I've gone from full health to dead in one enemy turn if there are ~3 enemies in a battle. With the constant skill spam I need to make in order to even have a chance at beating regular enemies, everyone's SP drains to zero. I don't have enough money to buy that many SP recovery items because I can't clear really that many enemies. I've already left the dungeon once to rest up and buy the best armor from the armor shop guy and I'm still getting my ass beat.

I'm on the 7th floor of
Yukiko's Castle
, just the one below the boss, I have no escape-dungeon items, I can't beat the boss because it's ridiculously hard, and I can't beat regular enemies because they're ridiculously hard, and I'm running pretty low on items.

I think I've backed myself into an unwinnable state right now. I can't even lower the difficulty because it's my first playthrough. If I can't get out of the rut I'm probably going to shelve the game permanently because I'm 7 hours in and there's no way I'm going to restart the game from scratch and going through the painfully slow introduction again...

redhairedking

So I'm playing P4 for the first time with the Golden version and I think I screwed up my save.

First, I picked Hard difficulty because I kept hearing about how Normal was so easy. Well, it's fucking hard. I've no clue what to do. I absolutely cannot take down
Shadow Yukiko
because of the stupid Burn to Ashes attack and just generally being a massive damage sponge. Same goes for pretty much every other enemy in the dungeon. I hit them with skills of the element that they are weak against, they still take off maybe 1/8th of their health (weak! ...35 dmg...huh?). Meanwhile in many occasions I've gone from full health to dead in one enemy turn if there are ~3 enemies in a battle. With the constant skill spam I need to make in order to even have a chance at beating regular enemies, everyone's SP drains to zero. I don't have enough money to buy that many SP recovery items because I can't clear really that many enemies. I've already left the dungeon once to rest up and buy the best armor from the armor shop guy and I'm still getting my ass beat.

I'm on the 7th floor of
Yukiko's Castle
, just the one below the boss, I have no escape-dungeon items, I can't beat the boss because it's ridiculously hard, and I can't beat regular enemies because they're ridiculously hard, and I'm running pretty low on items.

I think I've backed myself into an unwinnable state right now. I can't even lower the difficulty because it's my first playthrough. If I can't get out of the rut I'm probably going to shelve the game permanently because I'm 7 hours in and there's no way I'm going to restart the game from scratch and going through the painfully slow introduction again...

That's a tough spot to be in. I understand your frustration and wouldn't blame you for shelving the game, however I think you should definitely pick it up again at some point.

That's a tough spot to be in. I understand your frustration and wouldn't blame you for shelving the game, however I think you should definitely pick it up again at some point.

Well I did just figure out I could turn off the game and it put me at the entrance of the TV world :p I still have a day left before the fog set in, so I just grinded the lower levels a bit and am buying better gear.

I read somewhere the game gets easier after this second dungeon, so I'll at least keep playing past that point.

Ourobolus

Banned
Well I did just figure out I could turn off the game and it put me at the entrance of the TV world :p I still have a day left before the fog set in, so I just grinded the lower levels a bit and am buying better gear.

I read somewhere the game gets easier after this second dungeon, so I'll at least keep playing past that point.
Yeah, after the Bath House the dungeons seem to be a bit easier (well, the 4th one can be rough, especially the boss).

I recommend fusing a Slime if you haven't already. They have Red Wall, which you can use to prevent the boss from knocking Chie down with Fire.

How long is this game. I know play games "slowly", but wow. I'm over 70+ hours and the
supposed killer was caught. It's Halloween
and I wonder how much longer do I have before I can get to NG+

Tamanon

Banned
How long is this game. I know play games "slowly", but wow. I'm over 70+ hours and the
supposed killer was caught. It's Halloween
and I wonder how much longer do I have before I can get to NG+

Depending on which ending you get, I'd say you have between 10 and 30 more hours to go at that rate.

I managed to Platinum the game and I'm now watching Persona 4: The Anime.
A few things I still don't get.

If Personas consider themselves shadows, then why do they then turn into Personas for the protagonists to use?
Wouldn't that mean that Igor sent the Personas?

Top Bottom