• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie game developer Chloe Sagal attempted suicide on TwitchTV, not dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well maybe it's just a language thing. To me an absence of a law banning something doesn't necessarily mean that it's actually legal (which would mean that there's an actual law allowing such thing to happen).

In other words, even if there's no actual law banning discrimination against gender identity in Florida, someone there sueing their employer for such issue would win.

But then again I'm not a lawyer.

Yes. It also mentions cases being overruled, and others that involve things on top of the whole gender/sexuality issue (eg teacher / student relationship).

Again, that doesn't equate to it being legal.

In any at-will employment state, that's exactly what it means, as employers can fire employees for any reason that isn't related to them being a member of a protected class. As the article and graph shows, transgender is only a protected class in 16 states, and is not a federal protected class. So in the other 34 states, it is currently legal.

Raist

Banned

Sophia

Seriously if her surgery was so badly needed instead of lying online she could easily save up, work a second job and get the surgery in a year.

This is seriously harder than you actually make it out to be. Not everyone has a support network sadly, and people can turn to less-than-ideal methods to get money when desperate.

I wish i could pretend to be sad about this person like the rest of you.

Now that's just mean, and uncalled for. NeoGAF is not hivemind. Some of us have actually lived with depression before you now?

Being able to prove that they discriminated against you in an At-Will state is difficult however. They don't HAVE to say it's your transgender status.

Raist

Banned
I will look into it after I finish cooking and eating dinner. In the meantime, here's a link to my state's shenanigans in this arena.

Thanks. See, for me that would be an actual exemple of making it legal for employers to fire people because of their sexual orientation or gender identity. I'm assuming that if that jerk wants to pass such a bill, it means that by default people would be entitled to legal actions, precisely because it is not legal. Either way, I hope that asshole will get his ass kicked (and lose office).

Being able to prove that they discriminated against you in an At-Will state is difficult however. They don't HAVE to say it's your transgender status.

Yes, I understand this. Still doesn't make it legal. In a "people over 21 can legally consume alcohol" kind of way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom