• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dark Souls Announcement Coming? Like a Facebook page to find out.

It'll probably be for something worthless but I'm hoping this is for an expansion rather than an announcement for a port. Or maybe it's for both!! /dreamworld

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Handhelds are not the proper platform for Souls games. It would come at a high price. Consoles flying through the air crushing on walls and whatnot.

The same could be said about lots of games (Zelda, Uncharted, Resident Evil) but there have been fanastic portable entries for these series, so no.

Guevara

I don't know about Dark Souls Vita; I own a Vita and would play it of course, but the online mode would suffer greatly imo. Even minor stuff like messages would be unavailable much of the time if you take your handheld on the road.

Kyoufu

I don't know about Dark Souls Vita; I own a Vita and would play it of course, but the online mode would suffer greatly imo. Even minor stuff like messages would be unavailable much of the time if you take your handheld on the road.

3G would work for messages.

ironcreed

Banned
Doubt this has anything to do with it, but they have recently stated that they would like to return to the King's Field series. Regardless, I am hoping that will be their next game. As that series is godly, especially The Ancient City. Imagine what they could do with it today.

Foffy

Banned
Not to start burning bushes here, but wasn't there a rumor that the 'Dark Forest' thing for Dark Souls had something to do with March?

Not to start burning bushes here, but wasn't there a rumor that the 'Dark Forest' thing for Dark Souls had something to do with March?

There's a huge forest area near the talking cat in darkroot garden that you can only see past the cliff. And it looks pretty dark down there, too. Maybe it's the name of the expansion pack.

Zeliard

It would feel just as cohesive as painted world.

Yeah but the fun with Dark Souls' world is how interconnected it is outside of the post-Anor Lando areas. Slapping on some extra areas that you get through via portal wouldn't be very satisfactory, at least to me. Not to mention you'd be limited in co-op to whoever else has that piece of DLC, on top of the level ranges.

There's plenty of areas in the game they could expand on, which remain mysteriously sealed off. The blocked passageway by the bonfire for the Daughter of Chaos is probably the biggest one.

The new broken archstone :p

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Dunno that it would feel very cohesive.

The entire area of
Anor Londo
including the
Duke's Archive and Painted World
is already segmented off from the world connected to Firelink. It'd be entirely possible to add something like that to the game without it feeling out of place.

Guevara

THE BUZZ: From Software’s 2011 release Dark Souls was a hit with countless fans around the world—fans who soon will be able to extend the adventure via upcoming DLC.
A source close to the project has told EGM that some form of expanded content is in the process of being finished up for Dark Souls, and will be released as DLC at some point in the first quarter of this year.

While we were unable to get further details on what this new DLC will feature, late last year it was discovered that From Software had filed for an interesting trademark in Japan. That trademark was for “Yami no Mori”—which could be translated as “Forest of Darkness” or “Dark Forest”.

While we have no reason at this point to believe that the two are connected, we also have no reason to instantly discount the idea.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/exclusive-dark-souls-dlc-exists-coming-soon/

Why we still got Darkroot Garden?

Bumhead

Banned
PC version would be brilliant because it would be the absolute best version of the game.

Vita version would be brilliant because I own a Vita and desperately want a meaty single player game like Dark Souls for it (and I care little for concerns about disrupting the portable experience. My Vita never leaves the sofa).

Inevitably anyone expecting anything as good as entirely new versions of the game on entirely new platforms to be revealed on Facebook is kind of setting themselves up for disappointment.

Zeliard

The entire area of
Anor Londo
including the
Duke's Archive and Painted World
is already segmented off from the world connected to Firelink. It'd be entirely possible to add something like that to the game without it feeling out of place.

Yeah but those were some of the least satisfactory points! :p I did like the
painted world
, especially visually.

I'll just be honest: I'd like a PC port of Dark Souls far more than DLC. I think that would be much more of a game-changer.

K.Sabot

I hope the rumored DLC extrapolates more on Ash Lake, that place felt unfinished, but it had an amazing atmosphere.

DLC and PC port with DLC included at no addition cost.

and a unicorn!!!

I hope the rumored DLC extrapolates more on Ash Lake, that place felt unfinished, but it had an amazing atmosphere.
I'm with you there. Ash Lake seemed to have so much more potential. Then again, most areas after Blighttown did.

Guevara

Some of the later areas felt unfinished to me, especially Ash Lake. I never really got what the point of that area was.

Demons Ruins I just ran through. Lost Izalith was a bit slim too.

DLC could do a lot to flesh out some areas.

Foffy

Banned
Ash Lake seemed to have so much more potential.

Perhaps Ash Lake seems like that as
it appears to be the home of the dragons who were later eradicated by Gwyn, Seath, Nito, and Izalith. So maybe it's intentionally empty.

Some of the later areas felt unfinished to me, especially Ash Lake. I never really got what the point of that area was.

Demons Ruins I just ran through. Lost Izalith was a bit slim too.

DLC could do a lot to flesh out some areas.
was going to post about ash lake. it's completely useless aside from faction stuff and is a giant dead-end. DLC could add something to make it more worthwhile.

Guevara

was going to post about ash lake. it's completely useless aside from faction stuff and is a giant dead-end. DLC could add something to make it more worthwhile.

Also you can see it (and Demon Ruins) from Tomb of the Giants. They make such a big point of showing you it on your way to Nito. It would be cool to connect some or all of those areas.

Zeliard

Taking an existing area and expanding on it would be far preferable to adding a new area that you get to via portal or whatnot. And a PC version would yet be more preferable.

The best would be, of course, getting both. Expanded area(s) for the existing console versions, and then just include that seamlessly into the PC version when it's out, as if it was always there.

Either way, I hope they don't sit on this announcement too long.

Top Bottom