• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMO/MMORPG Suggestions

K.Sabot

My personal suggestions would be to check out Wildstar and Guild Wars 2. Wildstar has quite a lot of potential and Guild Wars 2 is pretty fun.

Been playing some Final Fantasy XIV right now, so far "only" reached lvl 15 as a Pugilist but I would say my reactions so far isn't great. The combat is slow and the progression doesn't feel good at all, its taken quite a lot of hours to reach lvl 15 and I only so far have three abilities to use in combat that I cycle through constantly, literally cycle, 1. 2. 3. repeat. Gonna keep playing to see if it gets any better but I don't think I will continue after the included month.

It gets pretty damn complicated once you start factoring in job abilities, and having a optimal rotation is key for high level play. I say stick with it.
The global cooldown is higher than WoW because they wanted to keep a more tactical feel that FFXI had and I appreciate it for that, especially as a healer since it makes it so I have to think more about who to heal.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I wouldn't recommend GW2 at all, combat is incredibly floaty and the updates (apart from the April Fools) have been pretty dull, most of the time you seem to be waiting around for them to start.

K.Sabot

I wouldn't recommend GW2 at all, combat is incredibly floaty and the updates (apart from the April Fools) have been pretty dull, most of the time you seem to be waiting around for them to start.

Yeah, the leveling experience was spotty for me. Great for the first 20 levels, dragged for 20 levels, picked up again until level 60 and then just dragged until 80 thanks to the terrible high level zones.

The combat is also really lame and in need of drastic changes, it tries to skirt the ground of a non targeted combat system without proper hitboxes. Not to mention the terrible state dungeons were in when I was leveling, they've gotten slightly better (mostly changes to prevent people taking the easiest path to reward), but it's still mostly a clusterfuck if you aren't doing fractals.

That's another philosophy I don't really enjoy: how arena net's guide to balancing things, whether it be economy or class balance, is to nerf good or interesting things into the ground.

Cirdan

Neo Member
Guild Wars 2 is pretty nice even if you don't join a guild for friendlier dungeon running. You can easily put in a 100+ hours just by going 1-80 while exploring the world with your friend and completing your personal stories. After that there is the dungeons, WvW, pvp, finishing world completion etc. to do.

Check on the GW2 community side of things here to make sure you get in a well populated server so you don't go running through completely empty maps.

That said I'm on the wait for Tree of Savior too, but expect it to take a while anyway.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'd say Dragon's Nest and PSO2, but you already mentioned that. Vindictus and Dragon's Nest are both great 'side' MMOs if you don't burn out of them.
Still waiting for Blade and Soul...
It's been a long time since I played, but it was extremely standard trope MMO and the combat parts that I got to were not that great (Partly because the sword counter is just 5x as long and uses 1/3 resources Monk counter does, what?).

That said the game is has more actiony combat, is beautiful, and sky running and wall running trees doesn't get old.

Top Bottom