• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only have so much time+money: Guild Wars 2 or Mists of Pandaria?

sazzy

Decisions, decisions.

-Coming off of the Steam+Amazon summer sale, I'm a poor soul.

-My WoW Annual Pass sub from Diablo 3 is paid in full + extra 4 months for D3 CE (ends ~March 2013).

-Right now, I play WoW a couple of times a week or so. Obviously will play more if I get MoP.

-Guild Wars 2 comes out a month earlier. Dunno about Arena's track record though, and if the game will be buggy, crap servers, glitches, etc. at launch. Server problems will obviously apply to Mists.

-I'm also very, very bitter towards Blizzard because of D3. (I know, I know, different team, etc etc..)

edit-

-If I get MoP, it will probably be the retail CE - so I need to pre-order soon :(

Help me decide!

DJIzana

I'd say Guild Wars 2... there's no monthly fee so it'll help if you don't have a lot of time to play. I'm not going to list every feature, for that just check the Guild Wars 2 thread.

Ceebs

I am probably in the minority, but the GW2 beta did absolutely nothing for me. In fact I enjoyed The Secret World beta way more.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
GW2. It's fresh and different, and there's no monthly fee!

Arena's track record is pretty stellar.

I am probably in the minority, but the GW2 beta did absolutely nothing for me. In fact I enjoyed The Secret World beta way more.

Funny. I love GW2 and found Secret World mind numbing.

RSLAEV

If you're still playing WoW up to this point then there's no way you're not going to get MoP, no matter what anyone says.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

GW2 most overrated game in a long time, same old MMO with some small changes.

Beth Cyra

I got to be honest., I paid up front for the GW2 DD and after playing the beta I really, really wish I hadn't. The game isn't bad, but even being away from WoW for a year I know that come september I will have much more fun doing the new content and leveling in WoW then I will have in the life time of GW2 as it is.

I've been playing Guild Wars 2 since the first beta weekend and I would seriously recommend playing the game. Experiencing the game for the first time kicked me back to the feeling I had of playing WoW Vanilla for the first time in the EU launch.

The sad truth: You'll get to level 90 in Mists of Pandaria, raid and PVP for a bit and get bored after the game's no longer new and fresh.

chiablo

fry.PNG

sazzy

If you're still playing WoW up to this point then there's no way you're not going to get MoP, no matter what anyone says.

I started playing in early 2010, so it hasn't been that long... I want to max level a mage, warlock and priest still.

Ikuu

Yeah, really. You have to wonder what they played.

I'd say the exact same thing, it has some nice changes (removing the importance of leveling) but it's just the same MMO we've all seen before.

Have you spent any considerable time with the beta at all? Strike that, have you played the beta for any length of time? The statement "same old MMO", is puzzling.

Ceebs

Yeah, really. You have to wonder what they played.

Something that despite all the claims otherwise, felt like more of the same stale MMO gameplay.

It may get better further in, but I am not sticking it out if the first 15 hours of the game are a dreadful slog.

Einbroch

Banned
Buy MoP, play until March since you already paid for it.

When/if you get bored of WoW, buy GW2. No reason to rush into GW2 because leveling doesn't matter.

This is coming from someone who quit WoW two years ago.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm done with Blizzard for now. I even have an annual pass paid for and game time expires November.

GW2 if anything.

I'm not really feeling doing any MMO this year.

Dysun

I didn't care for Guild Wars 1, although I've heard 2 is pretty different and it doesn't have a subscription.

But WoW expansions are always fun for the first few months

I'd have to say MoP as a WoW fan

LTWheels

Since your Season Pass runs till March 2013, it makes sense to buy MoP first as you have already paid for the subscription.

Ikuu

Have you spent any considerable time with the beta at all? Strike that, have you played the beta for any length of time? The statement "same old MMO", is puzzling.

I spent a fair amount of time, it's standard MMO with some changes.

Card Boy

Banned

You are not in the minority about the GW2 beta. I can't comment on Secret World, never played it.

I truly fear for Guild Wars 2. i feel Arenanet is resting on their laurels and is only patting themselves on the back with positive comments from fanboys (both from the press and forum white knights) instead of listening to genuine negatives. To paraphrase Ramsey on Kitchen Nightmares, he is only interested in the negatives of his restaurant, not stroking his ego with the positives. Fanboys should be striving for the best game possible for GW2, not defending the game every-time someone criticizes certain aspects of the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Something that despite all the claims otherwise, felt like more of the same stale MMO gameplay.

It may get better further in, but I am not sticking it out if the first 15 hours of the game are a dreadful slog.

It's not, though. I mean, you can certainly play it like that, but you end up horribly underleveled as a result.

Guild Wars 2's biggest failing is that it does a poor job of explaining how best to play it.

LTWheels

GW2 is a good game that does things differently, but it has been way over-hyped. I am looking forward to play it but it is not the 'saviour of the mmo genre/WoW Killer/Second coming' as some people have been claiming.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
If you're short on money, go for Guild Wars 2. It'll probably take care of your MMO fix and there's no fee.

Trickster

Go with GW2. It's got no monthly fee, and it's a whole new game, not a 7 year old game that's probably gonna get boring to play 2-4 weeks after release.

thetrin

GW2 is a good game that does things differently, but it has been way over-hyped. I am looking forward to play it but it is not the 'saviour of the mmo genre/WoW Killer/Second coming' as some people have been claiming.

Who's saying that? Everyone in this thread is just saying it's fresh and rewards exploration over grinding, which is true.

etiolate

Banned
This thread is not a good idea.

My vote: Guild Wars 2

The game is full of content and different things to do. It makes other MMOs feel outdated in many respects. As for your concern, ANet is not Bioware or Turbine or Funcom. ANet has been running a successful MORPG for seven years. Yes, that's about as long as Blizz has run WoW. Before then, the heart of ANet came from Blizz where they worked on Diablo 2 and the previous BattleNet. Guild Wars had roughly 32 hours of downtime over its 7 years. That's very impressive server upkeep. Yes, it was instanced, but so is Diablo 3 and I'm pretty sure D3 has already surpassed that total in its downtime. Guild Wars still got new content as of this year, despite most of ANet being focused on the sequel. ANet is also very attentive to balance fixes. Sometimes they are overly attentive in fact.

Sothpaw

WoW has so many features at this point that I can't recommend any other mmo unless the monthly fee is an issue. And if you like pve then it is no contest.

Might as well pick up MoP since it seems like you're planning to play it anyway.

Did you get into the last BWE for Guild Wars 2? If not you should probably just wait until ArenaNet has some form of trial for people to check out the game after launch. Better to do that than waste $60 or so to find out it's not for you.
I couldn't really get into it over the weekend. I liked the combat though.

sazzy

Go with GW2. It's got no monthly fee, and it's a whole new game, not a 7 year old game that's probably gonna get boring to play 2-4 weeks after release.

If you're short on money, go for Guild Wars 2. It'll probably take care of your MMO fix and there's no fee.

The subscription fee is kind of irrelevant since my WoW sub is paid till March 2013.

Its more of a product cost+time available issue :\

Midou

A fair amount of time being, what, 3 or 4 hours? In a game genre meant to last years?

I've played a large number of MMOs, GW2 fixes 2 problems that typically bother me. The separate loot and exp for everyone around makes it so running around essentially makes you land in a party, and you don't need to sit in towns or ask for them. The dynamic quests make the boring part of an MMO less tedious, they all have them, but at least as per the first point, wandering around, lets you just trigger quests, then you can do them if you wish or move on, you don't need to keep them in your quest list and consider doing them later, you just keep going. I know this stuff has been done before to some extent or another, but I feel GW2 has done it the best. The PvP needs work but they have a good track record.

The fact mentioned earlier, that it rewards exploration over grinding is my main point in both of these instances, you can just go in a direction and you'll find quests to complete and people to help, streamlining a very annoying part of MMOs.

An MMO will always contain certain factors, like tedious quests, grinding and the likes. Containing these things does not make it 'standard' by default, it's essentially what defines the genre. You simply can't make a game that lasts years with entirely fresh and exciting content.

DJIzana

WvW is definitely not standard for your MMO... nor is explorable dungeon mode, puzzles, traps, platforming of any kind. (Except maybe for TERA, never played that game though.)

Skills 1-5 on land & underwater, EVERYONE being able to res in combat or outside of it... or help others without being in a group, while being able to get their own loot / xp... need I go on? xD

If your friends play WoW, get MoP obviously. MMOs are much better with them.

Although I'd buy GW2 now for that new MMO rush.
First retail week of online games are the best for me.

sazzy

Do you like WvW/RvR?

Not really sure... Only MMO PvP I've played is in WoW, and starting out was really difficult since everyone was decked out, and I wasn't because I didn't have PvP gear to start with, so I'd last about 0 seconds.

It seems fun when you're not constantly dying :\

I haven't tried the new PvP gear/system in the MoP beta.

Fjordson

I'll be going with Mists. After a two year break from WoW I've been having a blast with the game. And that's before all of the cool stuff coming in MoP. If your sub is paid until early next year, I'd imagine you'll enjoy MoP. Looks to be twice the expansion that Cataclysm was.

Ditto (on Guild Wars 2 and Secret World) It's been getting so much positive buzz for a while now, I was pretty surprised when it left me severely underwhelmed.

It could be that my recent return to WoW is making me biased and clouding my judgment a bit, since I remember enjoying the first Guild Wars when it came out. I might have to try it again next year to see if I feel differently. For now, though, it's mostly off my radar.

Trickster

The subscription fee is kind of irrelevant since my WoW sub is paid till March 2013.

Its more of a product cost+time available issue :\

You should still get GW2 over MoP imo. Though I guess it kinda depends on how you feel about WoW currently, if you still have fun playing it, then MoP is maybe more for you than GW2. I just don't think MoP is gonna offer anything worthwhile after you burn through the 5 new levels and get a bit of gear. It's gonna become the same old, same old very fast.

MoP gets my vote. Give GW2 a few months to either stand strong on it's own 2 legs or fall down and die. By that time you should be able to buy the game on sale, perhaps after the new expansion glow dies down from WoW in 3-4 months.

You know you will regret not getting the expansion when Sept 28th comes around!

Top Bottom