• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are non-whites generally perceived as whites still non-whites ?

Some massive brainwash shit has been done to people of latin american origin in the US that they now think latino is a race instead of someone that comes from the region of the Americas where Latin derived languages are predominant.

very sadly that is the case, however it's not just in the US, it's deeply rooted in Latin America as well.

check out this video: https://youtu.be/3e6ChgL1EC4

they are clearly indigenous (or mixed) people of the America's yet they identify as Hispanic. When the options are white, black, or native american, many Hispanics will default to white because "well I'm not black...I'm not american...so I'm white!". Some real brainwashing went down

utlimately you have to remember that there are super white latinos, and they are just as racist if not more racist than americans. It's just not as immediately obvious because the world's eyes isn't on them. There is an even more clear distinction of poverty between blacks/more native american looking latinos and the whiter ones.

Carnivals can still have black face and many don't see how putting it on is offensive. And those that come from european heritage are straight up 'you better not date a black girl' racist. My mom's side of the family is fairly white, and the older members of that family are pretty damn racist in a 'I don't hate other races, but don't bring them to the family' kind of way.

notaskwid

I'm white in the country I was born (Portugal) and my skin is very light. I don't know if I'm white in the US, never went there.
Maybe I'd be identified as Hispanic? My eyes and hair are light brown.

Italians are White though, at least in America. Is it different elsewhere?

Asians will probably never be considered White in America regardless of their skin color.

Many White supremacists have no problem having biracial kids with Asian women. Some of the biggest alt-right figures have Asian wives. White supremacists, as they become more paranoid about White population numbers and birthrates, will probably allow Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese to enter the "honorary White" club, because they dont fear White racial characteristics will be annihilated when they partner up with fair skinned Asians.

Southeast Asians are on the outs with Nazis though, and probably always will be.

utlimately you have to remember that there are super white latinos, and they are just as racist if not more racist than americans. It's just not as immediately obvious because the world's eyes isn't on them. There is an even more clear distinction of poverty between blacks/more native american looking latinos and the whiter ones.

Carnivals can still have black face and many don't see how putting it on is offensive. And those that come from european heritage are straight up 'you better not date a black girl' racist. My mom's side of the family is fairly white, and the older members of that family are pretty damn racist in a 'I don't hate other races, but don't bring them to the family' kind of way.

Don't start me on this, i think racism is WAY MORE outspoken here than in the USA.
There is simply no taboo about racism. It could be argue that it's some time more "colorism" than proper racism, since you can hear the worst thing from people who would clearly identified as black in the US.

An interesting documentary I recommend you watching is Little White Lie that explores race and identity in America through the true story of a bi racial light skinned Black girl raised as a White girl in a small community and everybody else believing in this delusion, and how society made her question her identity as she got older until she found the truth and had to reconcile her new identity with her old one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxHLpgYwcVY

Also here's a clip after Georgetown labelled her Black and she was immediately accepted into the Black community on campus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPan8Wcj7-U

I'm white in the country I was born (Portugal) and my skin is very light. I don't know if I'm white in the US, never went there.
Maybe I'd be identified as Hispanic? My eyes and hair are light brown.

Hispanic is linguistic,

Portuguese are Lusitanic, not Hispanic

Hispanic simply means of Spanish as mother toungue.

nothing to do with ethnicity, race or geniaology

An interesting documentary I recommend you watching is Little White Lie that explores race and identity in America through the true story of a bi racial light skinned Black girl raised as a White girl in a small community and everybody else believing in this delusion, and how society made her question her identity as she got older until she found the truth and had to reconcile her new identity with her old one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxHLpgYwcVY

Also here's a clip after Georgetown labelled her Black and she was immediately accepted into the Black community on campus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPan8Wcj7-U

Thanks you man, seem very interesting.

Disxo

Hey hermano, vamos arriba UruGAF ;)
Wow, this doesnt happen everyday.
Like finding a needle in a haystack, thought Salsa was the only yorugua fellow around here.
The Uru Gaf is growing :D

Chile definitely not since a good chunk of the population clearly look "mestizo".
Argentina yes, if you don't take in consideration the north of the country.
Uruguay is the definitely the whitest country of South America, but 10 % auto-identify as afro-uruguayo. It's very uneven though.

Fascinating stuff now that I look closely at the demographic census, apparently immigration towards these countries was triggered and incentivized out of racism.
Huh...I never knew there were so many afro uruguayos, well, thats what happens when you live in the interior.

Many White supremacists have no problem having biracial kids with Asian women. Some of the biggest alt-right figures have Asian wives. White supremacists, as they become more paranoid about White population numbers and birthrates, will probably allow Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese to enter the "honorary White" club, because they dont fear White racial characteristics will be annihilated when they partner up with fair skinned Asians.

Southeast Asians are on the outs with Nazis though, and probably always will be.

Oh I could see that. Asian women will be allowed in, not Asian men.

Thanks you man, seem very interesting.

Your welcome. You should look up her interviews too because she went on an American media tour. Here's her talking about it on a popular New York hip hop station Hot 97.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWHrA_-5Fp8

Wow, this doesnt happen everyday.
Like finding a needle in a haystack, thought Salsa was the only yorugua fellow around here.
The Uru Gaf is growing :D

Fascinating stuff now that I look closely at the demographic census, apparently immigration towards these countries was triggered and incentivized out of racism.
Huh...I never knew there were so many afro uruguayos, well, thats what happens when you live in the interior.

;) I am french-uruguayan, i don't know if i'll be fully recognized as UruGAF but i certainly hope so ;)

Yes it's amazing the difference between countryside/capital. I live in a special part of the capital and easily 30 % of people have black/mixed/indigenous features.
It make sense, since the indigenous/mixed was the countryside poorest population and they massively moved to the capital with industrialization. Also, Montevideo was the center of the slave market and they were especially used in the construction of the port in colonial time, and in the leather industry they were massively used.

JordanN

Banned

On the subject of white supremacy, during the apartheid era South Africa considered Asians to be honorary whites. Although it also extended to a few black people and aboriginals as well.

They were willing to bend the rules of skin color/ethnicity when they saw fit.

Your welcome. You should look up her interviews too because she went on an American media tour. Here's her talking about it on a popular New York hip hop station Hot 97.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWHrA_-5Fp8

It's fascinating, she kinda look like me though my skin is whiter. I remember when i passed through adolescence, when my nose got bigger, some aunt said "What the hell ! He have the nose of a black man!". There is a big part of racial denial in my family too.
Racial ambiguity is really bad since you're almost always take off-guard and never really understand if you're racially abused or not. I remember when i was teenager a drunken cop told me to "go back home". It took me sometime to understand what he meant.

I can recommend you that book:

8723098.jpg

And also about Uruguayan black history:

515HCvncGzL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Amazing book

at the end of the day, all races are fluid. But we're too invested in this race thing, no going back now ;)

I don't like how we use race in the US today, because you're either white, black, Asian, or american Indian.

Using white and black as races are confusing for the exact reason you mentioned. To my understanding, most Indians (as in from India) are actually of the white race, but because they do not have white skin an are from the continent of Asia, they fall under the Asian race. Do Indians look like east/south east Asian? Not to me.

I prefer these terms:

Caucasian
Negroid
Mongoloid
Australoid

but what do I know, I didn't study anthropology
Those terms are generally considered pretty racist. They come from a system that generally either explicitly placed Caucasians at the top or simply assigned them the most desirable traits. Those terms were the result of trying to rationalize racism.

And if race seems confusing and arbitrary, good. Because it is. It's designed to consolidate and withhold power. It's not and has never been something with strong biological backing.

nasax

I'm 2/3 European, 1/4 Native American, the remaining 10% is 6% African (4% of that being North African) and the remaining last 4% is Western Asian (consists of the Caucasus and the Middle East).

Fuck if I know how to identify myself. I'm truly Mr Worldwide. Welcome to the future.

My grandfather on my mother's side is from Guyana and he is black. I far more identify with that side of my family then English, Welsh or Irish. My skin colour is more yellow than anything.

At school I found that kids more readily attached what ever prejudices they had to me because I don't clearly fit in any one race. Was a tough time in school...

Latino isn't a race. Here:

kW51xMb.jpg

20120128_AMP003_0.jpg

Brazilian-women-are-friendly.jpg

All of these people are latino/latina

Latino in the European sense meant one from a Romance speaking country like France, Portugal, Italy, Spain, Romania.....

Latino in the Americas means exactly the examples that what you have posted.

So it gets really confusing when talking about the word "Latino" depending on what continent we standing on.

the term has no Racial meaning

Peagles

Honestly all it seems to result in is people saying racist shit a little louder cos they don't think they need to keep it quiet around me.

It's interesting too cos it seems like the more racist people are the more likely they are to mistake me for white.

FZZ

Banned
Light skinned brown guy

Lots of people think I'm Mexican

I've even gotten Russian lmao

Overall tho no clear benefits, but girls of other races more willing to say I'm cuter than my darker skinned brethren smh

It's fascinating, she kinda look like me also though my skin is whitter.

I can recommend you that book:

8723098.jpg

And also about Uruguayan black history:

515HCvncGzL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Amazing book

I've actually been meaning to read the first book because a lot of people are unaware of the "Passing" that occurred between Black Americans becoming White Americans.
The 1920s in the United States was a period marked by considerable anxiety and discussion over the crossing of racial boundaries, the so-called "color line" between blacks and whites.This anxiety was exacerbated by the Great Migration, in which hundreds of thousands of blacks left the rural south for northern and midwestern cities, where, together with new waves of immigrants, they changed the social makeup. The practice of persons "crossing the color line"—attempting to claim recognition in another racial group than the one they were believed to belong to—was known as "passing". As many African Americans had European ancestry in varying proportions, some appeared visibly European. The legacy of slavery, with its creation of a racial caste, and the imposition in the early 20th century of the so-called one-drop rule (by which someone with even one ancestor of sub-Saharan-African origin was considered black) led to a hardening of racial lines that had historically been more fluid; at any time, the concept of race was "historically contingent." Although the exact numbers of people who passed is, for obvious reasons, not known, many estimates were made at the time. The sociologist Charles S. Johnson (1893–1956) calculated that 355,000 blacks had passed between 1900 and 1920.

Also one of African American first film actresses that gained recognition in the early 1920's and 30's was Fredi Washington who could've easily passed for White and made her life and career much easier but she refused too. Even White people constantly questioned why she didn't just pass for White. I love her quotes.

In 1945 she said:
"You see I'm a mighty proud gal and I can't for the life of me, find any valid reason why anyone should lie about their origin or anything else for that matter. Frankly, I do not ascribe to the stupid theory of white supremacy and to try to hide the fact that I am a Negro for economic or any other reasons, if I do I would be agreeing to be a Negro makes me inferior and that I have swallowed whole hog all of the propaganda dished out by our fascist-minded white citizens."

She told reporters in 1949 she identified as black "Because I'm honest, firstly, and secondly, you don't have to be white to be good. I've spent most of my life trying to prove to those who think otherwise ... I am a Negro and I am proud of it."

Also thank you for your recommendation for Blackness in the White Nation. I never heard of it, but looks like it's right up my alley for me to learn more. I appreciate it.

From my perspective as an Asian American this is a subject that confused me in the early 2000's when I realized celebrities like Antonio Banderas​, Enrique Iglesias, and Penelope Cruz weren't actually​ Hispanic, they're​ Spaniards from Spain. I started wondering "Wait, if they're white does that mean Hispanics like Jennifer Lopez, Ricky Martin, or Salma Hayek are white to since they have a similar look?".

It just kind of threw my perspective of what white people are supposed to look like out the window because up until that point I don't think I thought of people from Southern and Eastern European countries with a certain look to count as white from the perception I grew up with.

Latino in the European sense meant one from a Romance speaking country like France, Portugal, Italy, Spain, Romania.....

Latino in the Americas means exactly the examples that what you have posted.

So it gets really confusing when talking about the word "Latino" depending on what continent we standing on.

the term has no Racial meaning

I know hence me saying "Latino isn't a race"

Same situation for me. Once I was asked after someone in te US found out I was Mexican "but... you're white! How can you be Mexican?"

Fun times.

Uh, there are a LOT of white mexicans.

By the very definition of the word "Hispanic" in an ethnic context, you have to be part white lmao.

Italians dealt with discrimination by "superior" Whites, but they were always considered White in America. Our Laws that applied for Whites applied to Italians, Jews, and Irish. Our laws that applied specifically to Non Whites didn't apply to Italians, Jews, and Irish.

This ones a mixed bag. While Italians weren't in the African American class, they definitely were not initially viewed as "white". Ditto with Jews and the Irish, especially in New York.

The concept of forsaking your direct European heritage and simply becoming "white" came about when rich white Americans wanted to create a further class divide amongst poor Europeans and blacks. This was crucial to the wealthy at the time because they saw that black slaves and poor Europeans were starting to establish a rapport that could have been dangerous. By giving them "white" status they made them feel better as well as gave them a chance to look down on African Americans, and they wouldn't feel any where near as bad about their social status.

Yes and no. On paper we're non white and in real life we're white, but more like a token minority that gives people permission to make racist jokes.

Half Filipino, half English checking in. But in the eyes of people I may as well be full Filipino. But most of the racism I encounter is China or Japan centric, lol.

I have an English name and sound English (because I am, duh) but have been discriminated against in job interviews where white men had expected somebody more... like them, haha.

So that made it easy for me to come out as trans. Fuck everyone :) But yeah, if you haven't experienced being on the wrong side of privelage you really can't imagine how fucked it is.

I used to often think how much easier it would be if I had inherited more of my Father's side, but these days I just think fuck everyone (in a nice, humorous way.) Being trans, I really don't give a fuck. Just try not to kill me plx

Metroxed

One of my buddies was born in Mexico City but you would definitely mistake him for just a white kid. He doesn't have an accent or anything either. Happens to him a lot.

And his name is pretty white too, Arthur.

Huh? That would be implying that only Anglo-names are "white", wouldn't it? Names like "Juan Fernández" or "Luis Rodriguez" are super common in Spain where people last time I checked where European, so we could argue that those are white names too (just like Italian names, Slavic names, etc.).

Juan Mata for example:

juan-mata-629766_191912.jpg

Or Fernando Torres:

781652_heroa.jpg

In respect to being born in Mexico... "Mexican" is a nationality, so that really does not determine whether one is white or not. Guillermo del Toro was born in Mexico to Mexican parents, for example.

Seems like people keep thinking of Hispanic/Latino as a race when it isn't.

IrishNinja

it's a shitty, arbitrary club, y'all

305686.jpg

You're asking, "if you can pass, do you pass?"

Yes, OP. If you're light enough with enough features to slip by, you can indeed slip by. Unless your name is uniquely ethnic. Whether you choose to "pass" is up to the individual, assuming he or she knows their heritage.

man this speaks to so many light skinned cuban friends i have out here

Hypron

You sure about that? I'm French and I've never, ever heard the term 'latino' used when referring to French people. In some circumstances I guess you could use the adjective 'latin'. But 'latino'? Not as far as I know.

Edit: Yeah I checked Wikipedia and there's an article for Latin peoples, but the article about 'latino' only refers to people from south america.

My mother is a light skinned indian and my father was european.
I'm sort of white passing.
Even tho I've always identified mostly as white while young growing up showed me that white people will "downgrade" you if you do something the don't like.
It is a sad lesson to learn but it has opened my eyes to how the world works in relation to race and heritage.

Things I didn't really consider now make a pattern.
Like how new people who I don't know wanna know my place of birth. And then if I answer it they still aren't satisfied and ask about my parents.

One of the things I like most about being in Lissabon is that everyone speaks portuguese with me.

This ones a mixed bag. While Italians weren't in the African American class, they definitely were not initially viewed as "white". Ditto with Jews and the Irish, especially in New York.

The concept of forsaking your direct European heritage and simply becoming "white" came about when rich white Americans wanted to create a further class divide amongst poor Europeans and blacks. This was crucial to the wealthy at the time because they saw that black slaves and poor Europeans were starting to establish a rapport that could have been dangerous. By giving them "white" status they made them feel better as well as gave them a chance to look down on African Americans, and they wouldn't feel any where near as bad about their social status.

It's not a mixed bag, I pretty much addressed it in another post later in this thread. Read further. Italians were always considered WHITE, they may'be been treated as a different class or sub group of WHITE, but it was still WHITE.

it's a shitty, arbitrary club, y'all

305686.jpg

There goes that book misinforming people again. SMH

Trokil

Banned
Most racism in Europe is white on white. British towards the Irish, Swiss towards the Italians in the 50's and 60's, Northern Italians towards Southern Italians, German speaking Europe towards people from former Yugoslavia in the 90's and 00's and so on.

Skin color is not really a factor, people can be racist for different reasons. And you also don't get any benefits just for the color of your skin.

Most racism in Europe is white on white. British towards the Irish, Swiss towards the Italians in the 50's and 60's, Northern Italians towards Southern Italians, German speaking Europe towards people from former Yugoslavia in the 90's and 00's and so on.

Skin color is not really a factor, people can be racist for different reasons. And you also don't get any benefits just for the color of your skin.

Yeah, nah.

Most racism is against people from North Africa and the middle east.

Don't know about other European countries but at least in the german speaking part of Europe the concept of race isn't really used anymore.
In the US someones "race" is a point of interest, but here in the German speaking part of Europe the distinction between different races ended some decades ago. Nowadays people just ask which country someone is from.
White or caucasian is also not used to describe people. You'd get weird looks if you say someone looks caucasian. And white is pretty much everything thats not black. Japanese and Turks for example would be considered white.

Europe has learned to focus on nationalities. So even the racism is structured according to that line of distinction.
So in Germany you'll find negative stereotypes about the Polish, but its obviously impossible to recognize polish people by the way they look.
And Islamophobia is a new form of non-race-based racism, but thats a worldwide phenomenon I think.

RockmanBN

Don't know where I count. I'm half Cuban and Guatemalen. My father is darkish Brown and my very white in skin tone. I'm game most after her and my skin appears whiter than most whites. Around other Latinos in school I've been counted as white as I wasn't dark, but I've used scholarships because of my ethnicity. Don't know what to count myself.

Half Filipino, half English checking in. But in the eyes of people I may as well be full Filipino. But most of the racism I encounter is China or Japan centric, lol.

I have an English name and sound English (because I am, duh) but have been discriminated against in job interviews where white men had expected somebody more... like them, haha.

So that made it easy for me to come out as trans. Fuck everyone :) But yeah, if you haven't experienced being on the wrong side of privelage you really can't imagine how fucked it is.

I used to often think how much easier it would be if I had inherited more of my Father's side, but these days I just think fuck everyone (in a nice, humorous way.) Being trans, I really don't give a fuck. Just try not to kill me plx

I'm half Filipino and half dutch, but in the people eyes might as well be 100% Filipino.
And yeah you get 100% of the Asian racist jokes/comments.

Yeoman

Most racism in Europe is white on white. British towards the Irish
By the English you mean. During the troubles. There's literally no "racism" against the Irish by English people nowadays and there never was any from the other people of the British isles in the first place.

gerg

I'm a Caucasian Jew and feel that the Jewishness complicates my "whiteness". On the one hand, I certainly do not suffer any race-related prejudice; on the other hand, I come from a distinct ethnic minority.

Hypron

Yeah, nah.

Most racism is against people from North Africa and the middle east.

Yeah, I grew up in rural France and while I would hear some people bitch about Eastern Europeans or black people every once in a while, the vast majority of the racism I heard (and I heard quite a bit of it) was directed towards 'Arabs' (or anyone that looked even remotely brown, like my father who's a tanned white guy or one of my mates who was half Turkish). Like, it's crazy how overt people were about it.

I know it's not the same everywhere. Actually, both places I grew up in ended up voting for Le Pen in the first round of the last election so they're probably not the best representation of Europe as a whole, but still.

jesu

By the English you mean. During the troubles. There's literally no "racism" against the Irish by English people nowadays and there never was any from the other people of the British isles in the first place.

Well Paddy and Mick jokes were told in Scotland when I was growing up.
And doing something wrong was doing it the Irish way.

Some massive brainwash shit has been done to people of latin american origin in the US that they now think latino is a race instead of someone that comes from the region of the Americas where Latin derived languages are predominant.

I think It's just an education thing. I took a class on the African slave trade and it's effects on the americas. I had no idea the amount of slaves that were taken to South America. South America is really diverse and I couldn't even show you on a map where each country was located before that class. We don't really learn much about South America in high school.

I also had no idea South America has similar issues with race between dark and light skin people just like America. I remember wondering as a kid why most of the actors on Mexican soaps are so light skinned.

I have significant ancestry that is Romani. I have no idea if that's considered white. I've always considered myself white though because I look white and I've always been given the privilege that it comes with by society.
I am in a similar boat. Funny enough, I never had been questioned about my race before my girlfriend my entire life until my current girlfriend (Who is Southeast Asian) who said she thought I had some South Asian facial features.

But yeah, I have never been discriminated against or treated negatively and both my parents identified as white. I get comments on my surname from time to time but mainly because it is unusual to most people, nothing discriminatory. It would be weird if I adopted some other identity. If everyone in the world perceives you as being white when they meet you then yeah, you are white.

Top Bottom