• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2017)

besada

Banned
I finished Borne. It is a beautiful, sad, hopeful book, full of deeply strange images and creatures, as well as compassion, love, betrayal, fear, and ultimately hope.

I think it's fair to call it a dystopian novel, as most of the story takes place in a wrecked city, covered in toxic filth, ruled over by a sadistic and malign sixty foot tall flying bear named Mord. Humanity, in fear of Mord and his proxies, lives as scavengers. They eke out life in the margins, living in the center of a perpetual storm. The only luxuries they have are cast-offs from an earlier age, where biotechnology must have flowed freely. They can get drunk on minnows, or relive other people's memories. They have beetle-weapons capable of burrowing into flesh and exploding their venom sacs. The landscape is littered with dangerous and toxic artifacts. Children have been tampered with by unknown forces, mutated and changed into vicious killers.

In the center of this chaos, are Rachel and Wick, just trying to get by, until Rachel finds a blob of goop while scavenging.

It's a book that addresses family, betrayal, ecological destruction, and identity, but refuses to sink into the hopelessness that many dystopian novels do. It is a deeply human and humane novel about people in terrible circumstances doing the best they can for themselves and others.

Unlike the Southern Reach novels, it is told in a reasonably straightforward manner. In short, while there are twists and revelations, not every single narrator is wildly unreliable. There's still plenty of ambiguity here, because it's Jeff VanderMeer and ambiguity is part of his tool chest, but it's in the situations, rather than the narrative itself. In short, I think people will have much less trouble with Borne than some did with the Southern Reach novels.

I really enjoyed it, and the climactic section is a real treat, especially. I became very fond of all the characters, human and in, by the time I finished. I wished for better endings for all of them, but didn't feel brutalized at how things were left.

Number45

Finished Beneath a Scarlet Sky. If Amazon Prime First gives me more great stuff like this for free I'll be more than happy!

A beautiful and tragic story of a young man in northern Italy during the closing months of the Second World War. Based on a true story too, and the epilogue is fucking unbelievable.

Danielsan

Finished Ready Player One this morning. A fun read. I enjoyed most of the shameless 80s nostalgia. The solutions to whatever problems and conflicts arose were a bit too convenient for my tastes, but I was fine just going along for the ride.

Next up: The Lathe of Heaven.

Two thirds of the way through Clash of Kings and its happening again...

I'm getting really into it!

Granted, at this stage most of the secondary characters are visualised as the same generic dude (so many characters...) but it's certainly ramped up a lot. There was a bit of a boring spell during the middle.

I've sworn that I'll take a break from the series after this though. I need some sci fi.

Finished Ready Player One this morning. A fun read. I enjoyed most of the shameless 80s nostalgia. The solutions to whatever problems and conflicts arose were a bit too convenient for my tastes, but I was fine just along with the ride.

Next up: The Lathe of Heaven.
Wow from one end of the spectrum to the other!

fakefaker

I finished Borne. It is a beautiful, sad, hopeful book, full of deeply strange images and creatures, as well as compassion, love, betrayal, fear, and ultimately hope.

I think it's fair to call it a dystopian novel, as most of the story takes place in a wrecked city, covered in toxic filth, ruled over by a sadistic and malign sixty foot tall flying bear named Mord. Humanity, in fear of Mord and his proxies, lives as scavengers. They eke out life in the margins, living in the center of a perpetual storm. The only luxuries they have are cast-offs from an earlier age, where biotechnology must have flowed freely. They can get drunk on minnows, or relive other people's memories. They have beetle-weapons capable of burrowing into flesh and exploding their venom sacs. The landscape is littered with dangerous and toxic artifacts. Children have been tampered with by unknown forces, mutated and changed into vicious killers.

In the center of this chaos, are Rachel and Wick, just trying to get by, until Rachel finds a blob of goop while scavenging.

It's a book that addresses family, betrayal, ecological destruction, and identity, but refuses to sink into the hopelessness that many dystopian novels do. It is a deeply human and humane novel about people in terrible circumstances doing the best they can for themselves and others.

Unlike the Southern Reach novels, it is told in a reasonably straightforward manner. In short, while there are twists and revelations, not every single narrator is wildly unreliable. There's still plenty of ambiguity here, because it's Jeff VanderMeer and ambiguity is part of his tool chest, but it's in the situations, rather than the narrative itself. In short, I think people will have much less trouble with Borne than some did with the Southern Reach novels.

I really enjoyed it, and the climactic section is a real treat, especially. I became very fond of all the characters, human and in, by the time I finished. I wished for better endings for all of them, but didn't feel brutalized at how things were left.

Nice review besada, going to throw it on my to read list.

31522139.jpg

I must say, for a series that must play the "who's not dead" guessing game to continue, it was done very well without feeling like it tried to one-up itself every single time.

The protagonist is now Sigurd je Harkvaldsson, Shara's old comrade, a hard operator with a sentimental side. Who in my head canon, looked exactly like BJ Blazkowicz. Unlike Mulaghesh from the last book, he was very goal oriented and determined, he didn't spend much of his time fumbling around, falling one step behind at every step. This is a step up from the previous book and a great conclusion to the series' main characters. The first book is still the best one.

mu cephei

I do think that
Maia makes Fitz look bad, but I also think that Miles is the one I usually think to compare him to.

I'm sorry, I can't work out if you compare Miles to Maia, or to Fitz! Who was it? I would more readily compare Fitz and Miles - their desire for recognition as well as the long-form getting to know them - but then there is an inner self belief I think Miles and Maia share which Fitz doesn't have. But I don't have a good grasp on Miles yet.

proto

Now think about A Little Life!

This novel. I like how it starts out as a buddy novel between four young, well to do New Yorkers and then turns into a tome of sadness and despair 20% into the book.

Never have I had such mixed feelings about a novel before.

Fj0823

Finished Breaking Dawn

My girlfriend is not a reader so I challenged her to read the Harry Potter series,(you know, a well liked and entertaining series) as a way to try and get her to read some more.

She agreed on the condition that she would choose a series for me to read. She chose the one thing she knew I would hate as payback.

My review: It was shit, hell at least the first books tried, and failed but tried.

This read like Tumblr fanfiction of the worst kind, the entire fucking climax of this book is less than a joke. The character arcs don't matter. And the themes are creepy.

There's certainly a problem when you read the description of a baby as if the author wanted to molest the poor thing...but then she actually goes down that route in what could be one of the most regressive lines ever written.

Bella goes from being Mary Sueish to the biggest Mary to ever Sue

I fucking hate this book. The rest of the series was just mediocre.

And you know what? The worst thing about it is that it made me like the movies more. The movies turned putrid festering shit into just boring movies.

That my friends, requires a lot of talent and effort.

Mumei

I'm sorry, I can't work out if you compare Miles to Maia, or to Fitz! Who was it? I would more readily compare Fitz and Miles - their desire for recognition as well as the long-form getting to know them - but then there is an inner self belief I think Miles and Maia share which Fitz doesn't have. But I don't have a good grasp on Miles yet.

I contrast Miles with Fitz, normally. You brought up Maia and Fitz because of the timing of my rereading The Goblin Emperor so close to the release of the newest Fitz and Fool novel, though for whatever reason I don't normally think to make that comparison.

I think it's mostly because, well, Fitz grew up being trained for a particular role (sneakity sneaking and assassinations and spying and whatnot) and despite being told he's good at it (or in recent novels, how good he used to be), he's ... honestly seemed kind of incompetent on a grand scale. Maia, by contrast, stumbled into things when he was 18. He wasn't trained for that role (Idra, his nephew, was).

I think that Miles and Fitz have more in common in that respect (Miles had more agency in his life path, of course, but he certainly knew what he wanted as early as Fitz was being trained). And yeah, there is also that element that you talked about in their character. I also think of them as similar types—both characters who are supposed to get by on their wits and guile. It's just that after I read the Farseer books, my first thought was, "This [bad thing] definitely wouldn't have happened like if Miles were in this story,"

This novel. I like how it starts out as a buddy novel between four young, well to do New Yorkers and then turns into a tome of sadness and despair 20% into the book.

Never have I had such mixed feelings about a novel before.

Mixed between, like, sadness and rage?

proto

Mixed between, like, sadness and rage?

I don't know. I definitely 'liked' the book, it made an impression on me for sure. Each character feels so real, and the way they interact feels really genuine and fun to watch. But
once the book shifts focus to Jude, it was almost just too much for me. I know such suffering has existed before, but it was soooo apalling that it really pushed the limits of my literary 'empathy' so to speak.

awwwwwwwwwwww snap
??
You should check out this topic. You'll see both science fiction and fantasy responses there.

Now is probably the best time to start Robin Hobbs' Farseer Trilogy, the first series of books set in her Realm of the Elderlings universe, because the most recent trilogy is just now wrapping up.
Some of Ursula K. Le Guin's recommended books seemed to be parts of different series. Are they standalone? Or were they so good that they were singled out?

fakefaker

I killed off Dead Air by David A. Poulsen today. It was a sedate, easy reading mystery with a huge amount of plugs for music, coffee, beer and wine, pubs, and hotels that the author thought the reader would like to know about. I enjoyed most of the book, but would recommend it for readers who need a low stress mystery in their lives in case their heart might implode from over excitement.

Next up, the first book in the The Alchemy Wars with The Mechanical by Ian Tregillis.

9780316248006_custom-fc41f0e18658c9586502a471789310cc26b3473a-s700-c85.jpg

Interesting to see many people enjoying it. I read an excerpt of the first chapter I think and it bounced off of me hard. The prose felt like that of a typical dystopian YA novel forced through a "weird fiction" filter. Knowing Vandermeer it probably goes some wild places but it was not a good impression for me. I would like to be wrong!

Danielsan

Wow from one end of the spectrum to the other!
Haha definitely. I'm just picking off my "to read" list, but I also try change up the more challenging books with some easy reads. Certainly enjoying The Lathe of Heaven so far (about a third of the way through). I love the premise, but I also find myself looking up words a bit too often (thank god for the dictionary function in e-readers). I really need to improve my vocabulary. Sadly often when I look up words while reading, they don't register long term. Maybe I should start writing them down, but I feel that would be even more / too interruptive to the reading process and would really get in the way of my enjoyment of a book.

Slowly breaking through every canonical Sherlock Holmes story (novels, short stories, etc).

It should go without saying that these are great. They always paint a wonderful picture in the mind.

That is my plan as well! Although I've only read "A study in scarlet" so far, but I have the next two lined up.

I went to Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago and wanted to buy a book to take with me home. Since Arthur Conan Doyle was born there Sherlock was the ovious choice.

It's amazing how well the book holds up considering when it was written.

aravuus

But what if I haven't read the original trilogy?

Buy them all and read the original trilogy first, I guess. Which reminds me that I was supposed to get the second book soon. If I wishlist a book on Amazon, do they send you an email when it goes on sale or something?

Pau

??

Some of Ursula K. Le Guin's recommended books seemed to be parts of different series. Are they standalone? Or were they so good that they were singled out?
Le Guin's science fiction books (and short stories) tend to all take place in the same universe called the Hainish Cycle. But they work as stand alone novels. I don't think any character ever appears in more than one story but a planet will probably appear more than once.

She has two fantasy series: The Earthsea novels starting with A Wizard of Earthsea and Annals of the Western Shore starting with Gifts. The more famous one is the former.

Jag

But what if I haven't read the original trilogy?

It really is a fantastic series. McClellan said he wrote it to read as a standalone and considers it better than the first trilogy, but I think you need to read the first 3 books to really appreciate it. It is one of my favorites. Like Black Company meets Cornwell's Sharpe series.

Sean C

Secret%20History_zpsbx7de3zs.jpg

A densely researched account of the lives and philosophies of the creators of DC Comics' most famous superheroine -- the credited creator, Dr. William Moulton Marston, his wife Elizabeth Holloway Marston, and their partner Olive Byrne (Olive Byrne Richard, as she took to calling herself, having invented a fake dead husband to explain the two children who in reality were fathered by Marston). It's a fair way into the look before Diana herself makes an appearance, but the early going covers a startling array of material relating to the feminist movement of the 19th and early 20th centuries, as well as burgeoning into in psychology and the sciences, and the emergent arts of film and comics.

The most interesting angle to be drawn out by Lepore here is the connection between Wonder Woman and Olive Byrne's aunt, the pioneering feminist and birth control activist Margaret Sanger, who was a considerable influence on Marston, and whose exploits served as the basis for a number of features of the stories. Indeed, there was a remarkable amount going on in the in many respects deeply silly stories that Marston and his co-workers produced. Among other things, the comics came with a regular feature highlighting real-life famous women, all part of Marston's desire to promote matriarchy. Marston's philosophy emphasized female superiority, rather than equality, which explains a lot about the setup of the comics, when you think about it. He had a wide range of pseudo-scientific notions, in fact; one of the things one takes away from this was that as a Harvard-educated doctor, he was more than a bit of a crackpot, and definitely a huckster. He spent most of his life failing, only to strike gold in the last five years or so, relying on his wife to support the whole extended family financially in many of the intervening years.

This account also provides a rather interesting look at Dr. Frederic Wertham, a name that is well-known to comics fans for his infamous The Seduction of the Innocent, a book that led to the creation of the Comics Code Authority and decades of censorship that set back comics as an art form considerably. Wertham was particularly concerned with Wonder Woman, for a range of anti-feminist and homophobic notions (he was always fixated on the supposed homosexual overtones of Batman and Robin's relationship as well), but, in a detail I had not previously encountered, he also objected to the racist depictions of minorities that were frequently found in comics of the period (Wonder Woman being no exception).

This book highlights that Diana was a very political creation from the beginning, a feature that has often been muddled by her corporate ownership in the decades since Dr. Marston died (even while alive, he raged against his superheroine being degraded as the secretary of the Justice Society of America, rather than a crimefighting member) -- Robert Kanigher, the writer who took over the series in 1948, was particularly keen to erase the features that Marston had so painstakingly added to promote his ideas. If DC has often struggled for what to do with the character since, it's perhaps reflective of how singular her origins were.

WolfeTone

Finished In Cold Blood by Truman Capote last night. This was such a wonderful and horrifying story. Capote's capacity to humanize the individuals behind such an awful crime is astounding. I was also impressed by his incredible attention to detail. While I know much of the story was exaggerated or even fabricated, I came away with a sense that Capote described the core of this story and the people involved.

BumRush

Jurassic Park the novel has just the right amount of differences from the movie to be a new experience. Loving it (about 50% done).

mu cephei

I contrast Miles with Fitz, normally. You brought up Maia and Fitz because of the timing of my rereading The Goblin Emperor so close to the release of the newest Fitz and Fool novel, though for whatever reason I don't normally think to make that comparison.

I think it's mostly because, well, Fitz grew up being trained for a particular role (sneakity sneaking and assassinations and spying and whatnot) and despite being told he's good at it (or in recent novels, how good he used to be), he's ... honestly seemed kind of incompetent on a grand scale. Maia, by contrast, stumbled into things when he was 18. He wasn't trained for that role (Idra, his nephew, was).

I think that Miles and Fitz have more in common in that respect (Miles had more agency in his life path, of course, but he certainly knew what he wanted as early as Fitz was being trained). And yeah, there is also that element that you talked about in their character. I also think of them as similar types—both characters who are supposed to get by on their wits and guile. It's just that after I read the Farseer books, my first thought was, "This [bad thing] definitely wouldn't have happened like if Miles were in this story,"

I hadn't really thought of them as similar types, that's interesting;
they both are supposed to get by on their wits, it's just that Fitz repeatedly fails things always go wrong for Fitz! but I think because I read the Farseer books first, it more seems to me that Miles is astoundingly competent to the point that winning is almost his defining personality trait. Maybe it was the type of stories they were, or maybe it was Bujold imbuing the text with Miles' self belief, but in Cetaganda and Labyrinths I had no doubt he would succeed and wasn't concerned for the outcome (of course some bad stuff happened in the previous volumes though). But I have a long way to go.

On the suggestion of a friend I'm reading The Departure and Gridlinked right now, both by Neal Asher.

Gridlinked the a more enjoyable tale to be sure. The Departure is basically the answer to a question no one was asking: "What if Winston Smith was a cybernetically enhanced ubermensch?"

I started American Gods simply so that I'd be able to establish my own 'view' of the characters and locations before the TV bulldozes them into oblivion. I made it about 75% of way through before stopping. Not for me.

I've got a bunch of comics - Prophet, some Alien crud - on the go too. I plan to catch up on Southern Cross soon too.

Also just found out that Jeff Vandermeer has a new book out - Borne. I'll probably take that one down soon.

edit: I didn't see besada's excellent post about it up top! Might have to pick it up sooner than later.

Mumei

I hadn't really thought of them as similar types, that's interesting;
they both are supposed to get by on their wits, it's just that Fitz repeatedly fails things always go wrong for Fitz! but I think because I read the Farseer books first, it more seems to me that Miles is astoundingly competent to the point that winning is almost his defining personality trait. Maybe it was the type of stories they were, or maybe it was Bujold imbuing the text with Miles' self belief, but in Cetaganda and Labyrinths I had no doubt he would succeed and wasn't concerned for the outcome (of course some bad stuff happened in the previous volumes though). But I have a long way to go.

I think the difference
is twofold: First, Fitz is in a very different set of circumstances, especially in the Farseer Trilogy, and second, Hobb enjoys passing the Idiot Ball around to her protagonists, so I start trying to tell the characters, "Hey, maybe communicate with one another about your plans," or, "Why are you letting the little girl hang out with you while you say everything," or, "Look, you don't have to give Regal all of the initiative here..." or "Chade, this secrecy is actually becoming counterproductive; the only people you seem to be keeping in the dark is Fitz and the reader."

As for the circumstances, while they are both characters who are ostensibly highborn, they come to adulthood by very different paths. Whatever issues Miles suffers because of his physical handicaps, he has the unstinting support of his parents, he's friends with the Emperor; he has the opportunity to choose his own path in life (and if he feels the pressure to live up to his father's status, it's pressure he puts on himself rather than what comes from the outside). It's a generally supportive and open environment in which he grew up, notwithstanding wider society's issues with physical deformities.

Fitz, on the other hand, after being more or less unceremoniously bestowed upon Buckkeep is then practically raised in the stables to the extent that he forms a particularly intense Wit-Bond with Nosy (only to be traumatized by that separation and harms the relationship with Burrich). Even once he has been recognized by King Shrewd, he's still a bastard. His role in life as an assassin (the training of which furthers his tendency for secrecy and isolation) has already been set for him—except that the guy who is supposed to be teaching him to use the Skill despises him, makes him believe that he has no talent for the Skill, and tells him to kill himself. Oh, and he falls in love but can't actually have the relationship in the open because the King wants a more politically astute marriage.

Is it any wonder that he is deeply repressed, socially and emotionally isolated in his relationships with humans, or that those characteristics are maladaptive when he's faced with perceiving the contours of a conspiracy? Plus, he's also saddled with allies who don't seem to be of much use in the short term—everyone seems to know that Regal is up to no good, but all spend several novels talking themselves into inaction or talking in circumlocutions.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet is only £0.99 for Kindle on Amazon UK.

I got a notification that's it also $1.09 on Amazon US, but it's showing up at $7.99 for me. Strange.

Also, what's the consensus on the Stormlight Archives here? I think it's the highest rated fantasy book series of all time on both Amazon and Goodreads, and it came in second only to ASOIAF on Reddit's top sci-fi/fantasy series of all time (with a difference of only like 15 votes).

Is it really that good? I'm sure the Oathbringer hype is helping, but every time I read about Brandon's updates it's always like, "Look how long this book is!" I don't give a fuck, why do people get such hard-ons over word counts?

This superfluous "trait" of the series and the fact that one of Sanderson's most appealing qualities is that he constantly churns out books makes me inclined to question the quality of his works. But man, the feedback for SA is wild. Not quite ASOIAF levels, but I can't think of anything closer (Kingkiller?).

So, do you guys like it? Is it a genre-classic? How does it compare to something like Malazan, which I most recently read?

Mumei

I got a notification that's it also $1.09 on Amazon US, but it's showing up at $7.99 for me. Strange.

Also, what's the consensus on the Stormlight Archives on here? I think it's the highest rated fantasy book series of all time on both Amazon and Goodreads, and it came in second only to ASOIAF on Reddit's top sci-fi/fantasy series of all time (with a difference of only like 15 votes).

Is it really that good? I'm sure the Oathbringer hype is helping, but every time I read about Brandon's updates it's always like, "Look how long this book is!" I don't give a fuck, why do people get such hard-ons over word counts?

This superfluous "trait" of the series and the fact that one of Sanderson's most appealing qualities is that he constantly churns out books makes me inclined to question the quality of his works. But man, the feedback for SA is wild. Not quite ASOIAF levels, but I can't think of anything closer (Kingkiller).

So, do you guys like it? Is it a genre-classic?

It is not the second best fantasy series of all time, no.

I do enjoy Sanderson's formula, though.

Magus1234

Reading some Foucault but was able to score some super cheap used books at my local place. Got a stack of some Shakespeare I have not read and Death of the Heart by Bowen, which I recently finished. What a strange book, it's a loveless melancholy world with the main character being an orphan who recently moved in with her married affluent brother. Here is a quote out of the book which best describes itself.
Innocence so constantly finds itself in a false position that inwardly innocent people learn to be disingenuous. Finding no language in which to speak in their own terms, they resign themselves to being translated imperfectly. They exist alone; when they try to enter into relations they compromise falsifyingly–through anxiety, through desire to impart and to feel warmth. The system of our affections is too corrupt for them. They are bound to blunder, then to be told they cheat. In love, the sweetness and violence they have to offer involves a thousand betrayals for the less innocent. Incurable strangers to the world, they never cease to exact a heroic happiness. Their singleness, their ruthlessness, their one continuous wish makes them bound to be cruel, and to suffer cruelty. The innocent are so few that two of them seldom meet–when they do meet, their victims lie strewn all around.

I'm currently reading a Clash of Kings. I just got into Fantasy and I'm loving this series. After I catch up what series should I read next?
It's a bit of an obvious/cliché recommendation, but I really enjoy the Forgotten Realms series, specifically R. A. Salvatore's Icewind Dale Trilogy. FR is the basis for most well-known, "traditional" Dungeons & Dragons campaigns (including BioWare's Baldur's Gate), and Salvatore is one of the writers that fleshes that universe out and makes it such a pleasure to explore.

Are any of the star wars novels worth reading?

From the few I've read, I remember enjoying Star Wars: Death Star quite a bit. It gets away from the typical heroics of the universe and instead follows more down-to-earth characters. It also follows Grand Moff Tarkin, a villain overshadowed in the films.

Ratrat

I finished The People in the Trees. That ending was WELP

W E L P

SanctuaryWings-fullcover.jpg
I listened to the audiobook of People in the Trees. I immediately deleted and got a refund. I was so disgusted I didn't even want it in my digital library.

Also, what's the consensus on the Stormlight Archives here? I think it's the highest rated fantasy book series of all time on both Amazon and Goodreads, and it came in second only to ASOIAF on Reddit's top sci-fi/fantasy series of all time (with a difference of only like 15 votes).

This superfluous "trait" of the series and the fact that one of Sanderson's most appealing qualities is that he constantly churns out books makes me inclined to question the quality of his works. But man, the feedback for SA is wild. Not quite ASOIAF levels, but I can't think of anything closer (Kingkiller?).

So, do you guys like it? Is it a genre-classic? How does it compare to something like Malazan, which I most recently read?
That is messed up. I've read Way of Kings and its nowhere near top 10 material for the genre.

Le Guin's science fiction books (and short stories) tend to all take place in the same universe called the Hainish Cycle. But they work as stand alone novels. I don't think any character ever appears in more than one story but a planet will probably appear more than once.

She has two fantasy series: The Earthsea novels starting with A Wizard of Earthsea and Annals of the Western Shore starting with Gifts. The more famous one is the former.
Thanks, I'm going to pick a few up during sales.

I'm one of those who think the Stormlight Archive is so far just a mediocre series with waaaaaaay too many words and unnecessary scenes. I'd rather have a tighter story than these massive tomes. I especially thought the 2nd book could have been 300-400 pages shorter.

Top Bottom