• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Origins |OT| A Far Cry From Historical Fact

G-Bus

Banned
Haven't got into an AC game since the original 2. Only a couple hours in but I'm enjoying it. Not suprised at all but I can see the game has changed a bit...

Hopefully the wife goes to bed at a reasonable hour so I can stay up and dig in.

norm9

If I'm coming from Syndicate directly to Origins will I find it tedious and "more of the same"?

Made the mistake of playing Syndicate directly after Unity. Despite my love for the setting it felt like I was playing more Unity. I forgot you don't play this series back to back.. lol

I really liked III, BF, and Unity. Skipped out on Syndicate so I feel I'm ready. I have been playing a ton of Primal, so the general concepts are the same.

All in all, I find the ubisoft games have a shit narrative in alk their games but I like doing the collecting stuff. Probably not what regular folks like, but killing time in a virtual city is fine with me. It's busywork, but fun violent busywork.

Stiler

So I ended up basically capping at 30fps (since I was getting so much stuttering bouncing from 40's-60's) and it's been ok at that, no huge spikes or stuttering, it's not 60fps smooth but it'll do.

So far I'm really enjoying the game, exploring the first town/area around it is nice and lots of little details.

Just finished up a tomb and felt like there were still things I left uncovered (area's I couldn't access or figure out how to get there). Hopefully the tombs in the later game are even harder with some more puzzle elements as well.

Can anyone tell me, I was looking through the menu's and noticed the store tab and saw lots of awesome looking armor/weapons/mounts there (I want that damn mummy armor and unicorn...don't judge me lol), are these things you can still get in-game through finding them/buying them later on or are they all store exclusive items you have to pay real money for?

Also another thing, I climbed a tower and Bayack mentioned bringing the bird up there (at least I think that's what he said), how do I do this? Is there a button to call the bird to come to you and land on your arm or something I'm missing?

I took control of the bird and flew it right there but couldn't see anyway to land or anything.

TheRed

Yo guys, this game is fucking incredible. Especially the PC version. I'm in awe. I can see the Witcher 3 influence clearly and it is a good thing. Sure it might not be as good a story and acting as The Witcher but it's pretty interesting so far. Also the gameplay is a lot more interesting than the Witcher 3 in my opinion even it combat can feel a little clunky sometimes. Just an awesome game so far.

This is a good direction for the series.

Commander Keen

Neo Member
Yo guys, this game is fucking incredible. Especially the PC version. I'm in awe. I can see the Witcher 3 influence clearly and it is a good thing. Sure it might not be as good a story and acting as The Witcher but it's pretty interesting so far. Also the gameplay is a lot more interesting than the Witcher 3 in my opinion even it combat can feel a little clunky sometimes. Just an awesome game so far.

This is a good direction for the series.
So excited! Not gonna play on PC but will play on x1x. I watched some HQ “4K” videos downsampled on my 50” 1080p 120hz LED tv and it was stunning. The VIDEOS looked almsot better than any game I’ve played on my PS4Pro. I’m sure the PS4Pro version looks good too but for consoles the X1X version looks beautiful.

Alebelly

So I ended up basically capping at 30fps (since I was getting so much stuttering bouncing from 40's-60's) and it's been ok at that, no huge spikes or stuttering, it's not 60fps smooth but it'll do.

So far I'm really enjoying the game, exploring the first town/area around it is nice and lots of little details.

Just finished up a tomb and felt like there were still things I left uncovered (area's I couldn't access or figure out how to get there). Hopefully the tombs in the later game are even harder with some more puzzle elements as well.

Can anyone tell me, I was looking through the menu's and noticed the store tab and saw lots of awesome looking armor/weapons/mounts there (I want that damn mummy armor and unicorn...don't judge me lol), are these things you can still get in-game through finding them/buying them later on or are they all store exclusive items you have to pay real money for?

Also another thing, I climbed a tower and Bayack mentioned bringing the bird up there (at least I think that's what he said), how do I do this? Is there a button to call the bird to come to you and land on your arm or something I'm missing?

I took control of the bird and flew it right there but couldn't see anyway to land or anything.

Kotaku: "You get 500 Helix credits if you buy the game’s $40 season pass and 200 for finishing the game’s prologue. Other than that, you’ll have to spend real money to get them"

TheRed

So excited! Not gonna play on PC but will play on x1x. I watched some HQ “4K” videos downsampled on my 50” 1080p 120hz LED tv and it was stunning. The VIDEOS looked almsot better than any game I’ve played on my PS4Pro. I’m sure the PS4Pro version looks good too but for consoles the X1X version looks beautiful.
Specifically I feel the Witcher influence in the world design, it feels vast and natural, where you are really traveling places, which I haven't got the feeling from in this series since AC1 really. Also they seem to try more with giving side quests some story to them which I feel they do more than this one. They might not be amazing but it's appreciated. I'm sure X1X version will look amazing with what I'm seeing on my PC, it should be the same or close besides the 60 fps of course.

Megatron

They just told me how to use the bird and I can't remember. How do I get the bird again? If only games still had physical manuals...

Edit: never mind, I got it. You have to tap the up arrow, not hold it.

Stiler

Just a tip, apparently you can unlock the Altair/Ezio outfits via the ubisoft club website without having to wait for the rank-up like you do on the uplay client,

https://club.ubisoft.com/

Just go to the rewards section and you can unlock them there and then get them in game.

TheRed

Just a tip, apparently you can unlock the Altair/Ezio outfits via the ubisoft club website without having to wait for the rank-up like you do on the uplay client,

https://club.ubisoft.com/

Just go to the rewards section and you can unlock them there and then get them in game.
Been playing with Altair outfit and love it, fits the setting pretty well and it feels like home again with nostalgia for when I first played AC1.

Some screens from my photo mode time today.

24129749288_0a53be0820_o.jpg

37980840541_6d2c89ca8c_o.jpg

24129748258_3fd2348613_o.jpg

And there are many more great ones. It's astonishingly pretty.

gfxtwin

Let's see how hyped I can get before starting this tonight once the download finishes...

To those who have been playing:

- Does the environment feel as expansive as it seems to be? Does traveling through a desert really feel kinda like you just went through a desert, where you feel kinda lost and insignificant in an endless horizon of sand and sky?

- Do NPCs in towns have smart AI? Does it feel like you're walking in a real city where people are going about their lives doing jobs and being a part of the community, or does it just feel like walking through crowds of NPCs that are just wandering around? Are there some instances where there are specific events talking place that NPCs are engaged in (Think GTAV, where you see NPCs doing all kinds of stuff everywhere and you feel like you get some personality in response to messing around with them)?

- Is the game as authentic as advertised? Can anyone who knows quite a bit about anthropology/archeology/Egyptian history confirm the extent of how accurate what you've seen is?

- How frequently are you dragged into combat? Is it possible to explore for hours without a single fight?

- Can you pit the wildlife against enemies? Like get a lion to charge you and bait him into following you to a group of enemies, only to quickly bail and watch as they and the lion duke it out?

- How much of the game is set in the present day? How much of it is the sci-fi animus matrix knock-off type stuff?

Klocker

Has anyone been able to link their twitch prime account to ubisoft yet?

THe website redirects to ubisoft.com instead from reward page

Apocryphon

Let's see how hyped I can get before starting this tonight once the download finishes...

To those who have been playing:

- Does the environment feel as expansive as it seems to be? Does traveling through a desert really feel kinda like you just went through a desert, where you feel kinda lost and insignificant in an endless horizon of sand and sky?

I'm about 5 hours in so I'll do my best to address the questions you have from that perspective.

The environment is large and very convincing. You are unlikely to get very lost is you stick to the missions but there is plenty of places to explore and you'll constantly be finding surprising new things.

- Do NPCs in towns have smart AI? Does it feel like you're walking in a real city where people are going about their lives doing jobs and being a part of the community, or does it just feel like walking through crowds of NPCs that are just wandering around? Are there some instances where there are specific events talking place that NPCs are engaged in (Think GTAV, where you see NPCs doing all kinds of stuff everywhere and you feel like you get some personality in response to messing around with them)?

It's better than the previous AC games but still doesn't compete with GTA V.

- Is the game as authentic as advertised? Can anyone who knows quite a bit about anthropology/archeology/Egyptian history confirm the extent of how accurate what you've seen is?

Semi. You'll be happy enough.

I was actually really impressed with the games references to how old the various ruins and culture is. The game acknowledges the late age it is set in relative to how old ancient Egypt actually was.

- How frequently are you dragged into combat? Is it possible to explore for hours without a single fight?

Incredibly easy. You will only really be forced into combat if you trespass in certain estate-like areas and if your not careful around predators. You can explore plenty without having to worry really.

- Can you pit the wildlife against enemies? Like get a lion to charge you and bait him into following you to a group of enemies, only to quickly bail and watch as they and the lion duke it out?

I've seen NPC's fighting wildlife but I didn't cause it. Hopefully somebody else can provide a clear answer.

- How much of the game is set in the present day? How much of it is the sci-fi animus matrix knock-off type stuff?

I'm sure it gets more prevalent later on but I've only seen one little bit that lasted all of 2 mins in my first five hours.

Stiler

Answering a few that I know of so far, put almost 4 hours in so far.

Yes. In the first city I legit walked around and noticed npc's doing a lot of different things. From some gathered to listen to a priest to an npc sitting in a chair whittling away on a piece of wood with a knife, among traders moving goods via camels/donkeys, etc.

They only drawback to this is how often dialogue might repeat if you "stick around" for a bit, the things npc's say (like the priest bit) will loop over again once you've listened to the whole event.

It's a lot like previous AC games in that you can avoid combat but it depends on where you go. If you go into an area you aren't meant to be and an npc guard sees you, prepare for combat.

However if you walk around town or just explore the wilderness bits you can avoid combat for the most part (minus running into wildlife that might be aggressive, like hyenas for example).

Can you pit the wildlife against enemies? Like get a lion to charge you and bait him into following you to a group of enemies, only to quickly bail and watch as they and the lion duke it out?

There is a skill in the game called "tame." It works via you using a sleep dart on an animal and then you can "tame" it and it will then follow you around. The picture shows a lion following you so yep, you can totally pit wildlife against people and have your own pet. I am not sure how in depth it is though since I haven't got that skill yet (takes like 12 skill points to get to it IIRC).

Still greyed out. Says you have to complete the associated challenges.

Weird, I did it earlier when I read about it on the ubisoft forums and it unlocked them for me even though I didn't do the challenges. Maybe they've fixed it then?

SJRB

Gold Member
Am I crazy or is there no slow-motion skill for the bow, other than when jumping?

So weird, seems like a no-brainer to include something like that.

Seyfert

Am I crazy or is there no slow-motion skill for the bow, other than when jumping?

So weird, seems like a no-brainer to include something like that.

This.

I hope it has because I got spoiled by other game, It can be consume focus gauge or something like that.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Had a crash 5 mins in but since then, nothing but awesome. It's a looker too, imagine the One X version will be amazing.

Seems pretty cool so far but haven't gotten very far in only did a few of the first quests. It looks amazing and I love the location and timeframe.

bratpack

anybody tell me what the missions are like in this one??

is the mission structure the same as all the other creeds or is it alot more varied/new/interesting/different etc

every creed game felt like it had the same missions which put me off them
so not sure about this one

Bessy67

I just started the game and I feel like I missed something. Does the game eventually fill you in more on who you are and why you're doing what you're doing?

xviper

how are the side quests ?? are they similar to The witcher 3 ?

i remember before release, Ubisoft said something about that they were inspired by The witcher 3 for making AC:O

Horizon have tried to mimic The witcher 3's Side quests quality and failed, how did AC:O do ?

Peroroncino

how are the side quests ?? are they similar to The witcher 3 ?

i remember before release, Ubisoft said something about that they were inspired by The witcher 3 for making AC:O

Horizon have tried to mimic The witcher 3's Side quests quality and failed, how did AC:O do ?

Similar to Horizon minus dialogue options.

What type of "Gods" made this game?! I'm a grown ass man and this is the only game makes me to come back and explore this stunningly gorgeous Egypt...high 5 Ubi.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I discovered you can use Senu while you're auto-running on your mount, and you'll keep going towards your objective.

This game is awesome. It's going to be pretty hard for Ubi to follow up after this one. Maybe if they do another similarly longer development time and use a setting equally as exciting as ancient Egypt.
Feudal Japan, going by popular requests

Though after seeing this one, I would like another in a Mayan/Aztec period or Inca, something like that would be great.

Stiler

I just started the game and I feel like I missed something. Does the game eventually fill you in more on who you are and why you're doing what you're doing?

Yes it's a cold open, a few hours down the road it fills in that blank of "the hell did he do that for?"

This game hits all the points Black Flag did for me - the story isn’t the star of the show - the lush environments and rewarding exploration of them is

Drewfonse

I haven't found a single hidden tomb. Do they have question marks where they are? Probably not, because...then they wouldn't be called hidden, haha

I’m a few hours in and holy shit this game is top tier quality!
The visuals are insane on pro. The sound is super visceral and atmospheric. The setting, by all intensive perposes, is GOTY territory.
The exploration, the verticalalty of the game space is awesome.
The only downsides at this point are the controls. A little clunky. More than likely most of that though is just myself needing to get adjusted.
So if your on the fence. Get this game.
Should also be noted that this is my first ass game sense ac3, Which turned me off the the series for many years.

I’m a few hours in and holy shit this game is top tier quality!
The visuals are insane on pro. The sound is super visceral and atmospheric. The setting, by all intensive perposes, is GOTY territory.
The exploration, the verticalalty of the game space is awesome.
The only downsides at this point are the controls. A little clunky. More than likely most of that though is just myself needing to get adjusted.
So if your on the fence. Get this game.
Should also be noted that this is my first ass game sense ac3, Which turned me off the the series for many years.

Exactly, that's what I'm saying, this deserves GOTY for exploration alone.

G-Bus

Banned
Little blown away with how big the map is. My goodness. Don't think I'm going to make it too far with only having the game for a week.

daftstar

Blown away by how good the game world looks. I'm warming up to the combat as well now after realizing you can't brute force enemy encounters anymore so you gotta play smarter. Plus some of the outfits look awesome and I'm a sucker for aesthetics.

Itching to jump back in as the game has that addictive quality to it for me. I think it's already in my top 5 of 2017 list after 10-12 hours in. Only wish the ambient OST was better/more prominent to be honest.

Top Bottom