• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake PC | Tech, performance and information thread

Angry Fork

I've just lost over an hour's worth of play because the Steam came up with a sync error with the steam cloud and my saves. Steam wouldn't let me play the game until I chose to either upload the save on my HDD to the cloud, or use the last cloud save. I chose the wrong option and now I'm back a chapter.

FFS dev's, GIVE US CONTROL OVER OUR OWN SAVE GAMES!!!! Let me save in multiple slots, relying on a single slot has fucked me over twice already and its pissing me off to no end.

I feel your pain. I lost 7 hours yesterday because the game doesn't upload the save content until you exit and then Steam updates it. I was playing and the computer just restarted out of nowhere so Steam didn't recognize whatever I had done and I played for 7 hours straight without exiting. I went back and was back at the beginning of the game, I raged so hard. When I went to replay everything I got paranoid and made sure I exited the game like every 30 min just incase it happened again. It really sucks that it only offers steam cloud save and no offline save/load states. ninja edit - Just saw your other post which I think referenced me so I guess this post was unnecessary =P

Xyber

constipation.gif

Max-Paynes-face.jpg

Persona7

Banned
As good as the nighttime scenes look, it's the daytime scenes that seemed to have improved the most graphically from the console version. Daytime scenes on the 360 seemed to suffer the most from the compromises they had to make. Now they look just as good as the rest of the game.

Yes. The retail version will release on March 2nd

Ok, I was just making sure because I did some extensive searching last night and the retail copy was not for sale anywhere and amazon does not even have a listing for it.

DTKT

God dammit.

I'm a big pussy. I hate horror movies. I don't like scary things. And now, I'm playing this and liking it? WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME...

As for the performance, anyone having "okayish" performance with a 5870? Everything on High, 2xAA, 4xSSAA and shadows on medium. Fluctuates from 40 to 60 tops.

Wow, loving this game. The gunplay really is fantastic which is what I loved so much about both Max Payne games, as different as they are. Remedy really do make stylishly fun games.

I will say that the save system sucks though and this talk of Steam failing to sync has gotten me paranoid. I was trawling through the Steam forums last night so maybe I should start backing up the save file located here? They should have gone with the Saints Row 3 style of saving, which physically stores a bunch of auto and manual saves on the system and uploads only the newsest one onto Steam Cloud.

C:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\xxxxxxxx\108710\remote

Sethos

Banned
Is this only an Alan Wake thing?

I've done it to Skyrim and Assassins Creed Brotherhood with no luck

Yeah, launch commands are usually unique for every game - They are not global commands.

They tend to work if the games are using the same engine. ( UE3 etc. )

time for episode 5 :)

Playing without a HUD is insanely good.

yeah, i finally took the advice on this one, and it really is. the only thing that's a minor shame is you can't see how many batteries you have, but it's minor, because at least on Normal (360 hard) you're always overflowing with the things.

i like to take my time on games like this. my steam play time is a bit off, because i've been leaving the game loaded and paused, but i think i'm averaging about 2 hours an episode. poking about, screenshotting stuff, looking for collectables (but not finding them all... i have all the pages so far at least, not counting the nightmare exclusive ones).

will finish up episode 6 later tonight, then take care of the specials tomorrow.

i like to take my time on games like this. my steam play time is a bit off, because i've been leaving the game loaded and paused, but i think i'm averaging about 2 hours an episode. poking about, screenshotting stuff, looking for collectables (but not finding them all... all the pages so far at least).

will finish up episode 6 later tonight, then take care of the specials tomorrow.

Same here, 9 hours in and I'm almost done with episode 4.

Dennis

Banned
Why has this thread slipped to the second page?

This IS the game the GAF elite are playing right now.

And 6 hours and at Episode 5? Are you a wizard? I am still on Episode 3 (best episode so far) and are well above 6 hours.

scitek

I'm 8 hours in and just wrapped up ep. 3. Been exploring environments and not rushing through it, and I jumped around a bit to get some screens so had to play back up to where I was at one point. :p

derFeef

If you like ep. 3 Dennis, then you are in for a threat.
A little sad that only 3 duders on my Steam friend list are playing this.

BeeDog

Surprisingly fun game once you trudge past the boring beginning (which I had experienced briefly on the 360 before). The combat system isn't anything to write home about, but the environments, the setting and the story keeps you hooked. I love how the game/engine makes use of its scope when it zooms to a distant object you'll visit later in the same stage.

Why has this thread slipped to the second page?

This IS the game the GAF elite are playing right now.

And 6 hours and at Episode 5? Are you a wizard? I am still on Episode 3 (best episode so far) and are well above 6 hours.

I was fully intending to finish it this weekend, but a family commitment got on the way. I'm playing for hours first chance I get.

Can anyone with a 120hz monitor confirm that the game runs at 120hz, and isn't locked to 60hz (assuming you can adjust your graphics setting appropriately)?

I don't have a 120hz monitor but I've played the game at 30hz and 50hz just fine, the game will simply use the refresh rate that your desktop is set to. You should be fine.

Does anyone here know the significance of these chairs (if there even is one)? When I played the game on Xbox I saw them and they seemed strange but I never knew if there was some hidden meaning. Now that I am going through the game on PC and just finished Episode 3 I am reminded of them. Are they from Max Payne or did Remedy just decide to put elegant chairs in very obscure areas for no good reason?
zvZaw.jpg

0FuIt.jpg

PFw3S.jpg

scitek

I think it's a reference to the red room from Twin Peaks?

Also, on the ferry coming into town, Sam Raimi's first car, the 1973 Oldsmobile he puts in his movies.

887.jpg

the-gift_288x216.jpg

alanwake.exe_2012-02-0kzho.png

alanwake.exe_2012-02-8sxdn.png

you'll see the oldsmobile elsewhere too. i spotted another Max Payne reference. one of the buildings in bright falls is Wahlberg Packaging. Mark Wahlberg played Max Payne in the film. coincidence? i think not.

hiverbon

Neo Member
you'll see the oldsmobile elsewhere too. i spotted another Max Payne reference. one of the buildings in bright falls is Wahlberg Packaging. Mark Wahlberg played Max Payne in the film. coincidence? i think not.

There's also two akimbo pistols in a display case in Alan's apartment in the flashback near the start of the game, gotta love Remedy! :)

To the guys playing with HUD, I'd totally recommend turning it off. The game looks incredible and none of the HUD is really a requirement for playing - I find I've learnt when I need to reload/change batteries over the first few hours and ridding the top of my screen of text means I can admire more pixels.

EDIT: And yes, another big episode 4 fan here... That "event" ticked all the boxes, and they did a great job of making it feel natural by fleshing out the background for that farm throughout the prior episodes, so when you hit it it didn't feel ridiculous.

Splatt

After playing the game for 15 minutes, screen goes black and my PC shuts down. Anyone have a similiar problem or a solution for it?

EDIT: And yes, another big episode 4 fan here... That "event" ticked all the boxes, and they did a great job of making it feel natural by fleshing out the background for that farm throughout the prior episodes, so when you hit it it didn't feel ridiculous.

I'd still it call it pretty ridiculous myself.

The only part about that which really pissed me off was what happened next.
Why the hell would I drink a bunch of moonshine after reading about the heavy metal bros filling it with water from Cauldron Lake?

There are a lot of deus ex machina moments like that in the game though, and considering how characters comment on the way that Wake writes, I can't help but think it's intentional.

bigace33

Uhh, why is my only resolution option locked on 720P? I love the look of the game so far. Everything is on high and maxed, but I can't choose my own resolution.

Awesome game!! Remedy knock another one out the park. I'm normally a gameplay 1st kinda guy but Remedy really do mix narative and gameplay so well together. Took me ~13.5 hours to go through which was a lot meatier than I was expecting. The Steam Achievements are a bit weird though - Easy and Normal difficulty correspond with the Normal and Hard completion achevements.

And Holy Shit the credits are long.

Does anyone here know the significance of these chairs (if there even is one)? When I played the game on Xbox I saw them and they seemed strange but I never knew if there was some hidden meaning. Now that I am going through the game on PC and just finished Episode 3 I am reminded of them. Are they from Max Payne or did Remedy just decide to put elegant chairs in very obscure areas for no good reason?
zvZaw.jpg

0FuIt.jpg

PFw3S.jpg

THANK YOU SO MUCH for screencapping these, I asked about those red chairs quite a few pages ago.

Did you turn on developer commentary, and was anything triggered at those points?

I'm guessing the redness is a reference to Twin Peaks?

THANK YOU SO MUCH for screencapping these, I asked about those red chairs quite a few pages ago.

Did you turn on developer commentary, and was anything triggered at those points?

I'm guessing the redness is a reference to Twin Peaks?

Yes, they are a reference to Twin Peaks. Watch the show. Seriously. It's awesome.

aeolist

Banned
OK played without the HUD thanks to this thread and I definitely prefer it. The game is simple enough for me to manage without it and the level design cues are perfectly intuitive so the minimap isn't needed.

Also props to Remedy for the perfect controls. I played some with my kb/m and liked it but it's just as good on my 360 controller.

Top Bottom