• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

Alastor3

Im about to download the game soon, but my friend keep saying it's only a card game where you need to have the strongest cards to win, is that all of it?

Musan

I've been enjoying Foltest as well, utilizing weathers and witchers. Plays a little similarly to Dagon Fog, but different enough to feel fresh. Being able to delay turns by playing golds (Foltest, Dandelion) is quite useful as well.

Naar

Im about to download the game soon, but my friend keep saying it's only a card game where you need to have the strongest cards to win, is that all of it?

Uh no. You need a brain to win ;)

What's the point of laying your powerful cards down if the opponent removes them? Sometimes going into round 3 I will Mulligan a high card I have because I think the opponent will have something to counter it with and use another card with a different effect.

It is not only about card strength

frontovik

Banned
Exactly. It's not a mindless pay to win/get the best cards game. Playing all your best cards at the start of the round will likely cost you Round 2 and the rest of the game.

Some would argue it's more of a .. spam weather/spell and then win game, but others would digress.

finally rolled a crit with my baron deck

Oc4NDT9.jpg

frontovik

Banned
I despise Swim for his cheesy decks that's the definition of Gwent net decks.

I managed to beat a recent NG deck in which you buff a unit a high as possible with Ambassadors, copy it with Fringilla for the swing, and Combat Engineer the duplicate for the next round.

In Round 2, Letho the duplicates for a single 100+ points boost on the board.

I only just found out about it through experience. Fortunately my control deck already had shackles, scorch, and Margarita on my hand.

He lost...

Naar

I managed to beat a recent NG deck in which you buff a unit a high as possible with Ambassadors, copy it with Fringilla for the swing, and Combat Engineer the duplicate for the next round.

I only just found out about it through experience. Fortunately my control deck already had shackles, scorch, and Margarita on my hand.

He lost...

Yea but something like that needs to be built up and pray you draw the right cards (which for nilfgaard is pretty easy I admit)

I wish scoiatel had an easier time buffing units like other factions :\

He lost...

Well, if there is a card that copy the strength of another card... are you going to use it to copy a low value card or the maximum value card?
And if you have a card that gives resilience, are you going to put the effect of a 5 str card, or in a 25 str card?
It's common sense.

What's really happening it's that it seems good ol' Scorch has fallen out of the meta.

Stalwart

God forbid he spends his time experimenting with decks every day instead of playing the exact same things over and over again. No idea what you're going on about with "definition of netdecks" either.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I meant it in the sense that many players are copying his decks on the ladder, hence my perception of net deck.

Welcome to every card game (computer or physical) ever made. Netdecking is thing that is impossible to get around in these games. There will always be someone going to the internet looking for "the best deck". They will probably have watched a streamer or know their favorite player's deck and will then try to emulate that. It is impossible to avoid.

The key is to be one step ahead and know what decks (or cards more likely) will BEAT that deck. That is the real skill in deck building and the way to gain points in the ladder. Find the best deck in the meta (Axemen probably?), beat that and find a way to get a decent win percentage against everything else. Then the meta turns and your deck is the one being netdecked and the cycle repeats. You gotta ride the waves rather than trying to swim against them.

JustinBB7

4-12 today. Dropped from 6k leaderboard to like 13k+.

This always depresses me so much, feels so hopeless, but I can't do anything about it. Unlucky draws, cancer ST decks twice in a row, a few misplays here and there and I end up with this shit. I already put max rank out of my head but at this rate I won't even be top 5k at the end.

Stalwart

4-12 today. Dropped from 6k leaderboard to like 13k+.

This always depresses me so much, feels so hopeless, but I can't do anything about it. Unlucky draws, cancer ST decks twice in a row, a few misplays here and there and I end up with this shit. I already put max rank out of my head but at this rate I won't even be top 5k at the end.

I wouldn't even bother with ranked at your MMR until they implement the new system changes, honestly. Even if you went 8-8 you probably would've barely budged.

I wouldn't even bother with ranked at your MMR until they implement the new system changes, honestly. Even if you went 8-8 you probably would've barely budged.

I don't actually think they want a climb to be inevitable at higher ranks, if you don't have significantly higher than 50% WR. That's why they made the change in the first place.

Then again they've reverted positions on this the first time they changed MMR gain back in closed beta, so who knows.

Stalwart

I don't actually think they want a climb to be inevitable at higher ranks, if you don't have significantly higher than 50% WR. That's why they made the change in the first place.

Then again they've reverted positions on this the first time they changed MMR gain back in closed beta, so who knows.

The devs have already confirmed that they're tweaking the current MMR system.

Naar

Does anyone here use movement or ST in general? After some play I got adjusted to how to play movement ST, and although I still struggle when weather appears (only have 1 weather removal card) I usually just power through it.

After tinkering and losing a LOT, I am finally climbing back up

Haven't been playing Ranked the past 2 days (busy with work/watching Dota), only been logging on to do first round of daily rewards. I noticed I haven't really dropped at all from my position on the ladder ( 3.8kish MMR). Under the old system I would have dropped like 100 places per day or something.

It does feel like I'm feeling the effects of the tighter matchmaking now, in casual when I don't cancel out after 30s I often let the timer tick up past a minute and a half, only for it to cancel out on me, or for me to be matched against people who are Rank 1. On the other hand, I did run into Garunah while he was fooling around with Nilfgaard in casual and managed to beat him, so that was nice
charm_smile.gif

JustinBB7

Haven't been playing Ranked the past 2 days (busy with work/watching Dota), only been logging on to do first round of daily rewards. I noticed I haven't really dropped at all from my position on the ladder ( 3.8kish MMR). Under the old system I would have dropped like 100 places per day or something.

It does feel like I'm feeling the effects of the tighter matchmaking now, in casual when I don't cancel out after 30s I often let the timer tick up past a minute and a half, only for it to cancel out on me, or for me to be matched against people who are Rank 1. On the other hand, I did run into Garunah while he was fooling around with Nilfgaard in casual and managed to beat him, so that was nice
charm_smile.gif

Yea the main thing I like about the mmr update is that you don't drop as much by not playing. But I'd like that if I was high like in closed beta better... now I'm in the dumpster it's less fun.

The problem with that 37 card NR deck, and pretty much all quasi-viable NR decks is that they're dependent on Witchers as their finisher. Having to use three neutral silvers as your finisher is a bad sign and limits deck options. But that is also is a symptom of NR's awful Silver selection. Afte all, the best NR silver is Neneke... who you use to replay Witchers.

JustinBB7

The problem with that 37 card NR deck, and pretty much all quasi-viable NR decks is that they're dependent on Witchers as their finisher. Having to use three neutral silvers as your finisher is a bad sign and limits deck options. But that is also is a symptom of NR's awful Silver selection. Afte all, the best NR silver is Neneke... who you use to replay Witchers.

Playing that deck now and actually winning again, 3-0 and got Draug in a keg. So I stopped there. Deck is fun and viable at least. And maybe with the next patch it will be stronger as well.

Playing that deck now and actually winning again, 3-0 and got Draug in a keg. So I stopped there. Deck is fun and viable at least. And maybe with the next patch it will be stronger as well.

But the thing is, really any NR deck that is capable of winning round 1 is "viable." Since your goal is to win round 1, drain round 2, and play Witchers round 3. So the question becomes, is that deck any more reliable than any other NR deck at winning round 1?

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
But the thing is, really any NR deck that is capable of winning round 1 is "viable." Since your goal is to win round 1, drain round 2, and play Witchers round 3. So the question becomes, is that deck any more reliable than any other NR deck at winning round 1?

I feel like at this point with NR you need to just be surprising or go against whatever the popular NR deck is at the time. People tech against the popular thing, so if this 37 card deck is popular, then you want to play machines or Radovid control or something else.

You're right that everyone knows that NR can only win Round 3 with Witchers or Reavers (and Reavers are worse than witchers at this point). So having a different play than whatever they are expecting on R1 and 2 is going to be key to winning the 3rd round.

Naar

How to nerf axemen

Only damage from your units count. Weather and special actions don't.

I have been playing skellige decks that feel more like mages than pirates. 6 fucking weather cards in 1 deck??? The rest of the deck was axemen, bears, and those units that resurrect

I fought at least 4 decks with similar set ups

They also were spamming white frost. I don't even see scoitatel spell decks spamming this much weather. Thier axemen were getting +40 points each

AndersK

As important as Crones and Witchers can be for their respective factions (Witchers are neutral, doesn't feel like it) i absolutely hate having to play them. half your silvers gone, and the amount of times i draw 2 witchers round 1, mulligan one to get the other, and then mulligan that in round 2 to get the first one again. Urrrrrgh. I hate it.

Now that Im not playing Medic NG deck, what are the best ways to deal with the annoying Queensguard?

Opponents are constantly recycling them, strengthening them, and then dropping them in the 3rd round thanks to 3 bronze resurrect cards. And then using the Bear transformation cards on the 1 power resurrect cards.

Naar

Now that Im not playing Medic NG deck, what are the best ways to deal with the annoying Queensguard?

Opponents are constantly recycling them, strengthening them, and then dropping them in the 3rd round thanks to 3 bronze resurrect cards. And then using the Bear transformation cards on the 1 power resurrect cards.

I don't play NG but in my experience as long as your units are buffed then you can shutdown queensguard or play units with shield on

I don't play NG but in my experience as long as your units are buffed then you can shutdown queensguard or play units with shield on

Yeah but they strengthen their units very easily. With boost, they can often reset.

And man, I hate Frost decks. It's worse than RNR weather because you can apply it about 5 times. It freaking sucks to deal with.

JustinBB7

Another day of 4 wins 11 losses.

At one point I was top 800 on the leaderboard, now I'm at 17047.
At one point I had 2850 mmr now 2404.
At one point I had 30 wins over my losses, now 4.

Close to being done, it's a shame because I love the game so much and I love the witcher universe so much, but I hate losing so much I don't think I can continue this. No matter what deck I play I lose lately. Not sure what to do, another repeat post but I'm just frustrated with losing. Even went back to my 60% Skellige deck but just kept losing with that too. I stopped playing it because people were countering it too much so I guess that makes sense it doesn't work anymore. Was playing the 37 cards NR deck but just got bad draws/mulligans and no win condition in the last round. Nilfgaard/ST suck and I don't have any monster cards, only faction I don't have any cards for besides like 2 bad golds.

Maybe the patch will help but man I'm sick of this.

Actually saw a rank 17 guy at this trash tier level too, he must be even more pissed off than me.

So I was bored and now I'm trying to do a SK deck but without Axemen, Bears or abuse of weather. So basically I'm trying to do a deck with Queensguard and Shieldmaiden as the core.

But... right now it doesn't work. Because i have low damage I even have problems killing Hjalmar's giant, i have the Shieldmaiden but they need for the target to be wounded already to do all the damage.
so Any help with it?
Personally I'm more into playing the card game than in the deckbuilding aspect.

I was wondering if I should put some more damage or just skip Hjalmar and choose another gold.

Zemm

I haven't played for almost 2 weeks at this point, FeelsGoodMan

Can't believe they haven't even announced an upcoming stream or anything. I wonder if the console cert is making the patching process slow or if it's just CDPR?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I haven't played for almost 2 weeks at this point, FeelsGoodMan

Can't believe they haven't even announced an upcoming stream or anything. I wonder if the console cert is making the patching process slow or if it's just CDPR?
Same. Best feeling

JustinBB7

Actually doing well with my (semi) own made ST buff deck past 2 days, but I try not to play too much. Lost by 1 point and lost to X-Men of course. Even though I have 2 locks, gigni and 3 weather clears/row movers..

OK so since Frost is the superior weather card, I think it should only activate its effect at the END of the affected player's turn.

Aenima

He lost...

I got owned by that deck cuz in round 2 i trew away my D. Shackes as i was not expencting letho. I had Shackes and igni in my hand before the muligan, would be a easy win as i had like 7 card advantage as i made an early pass, and the other player spent almost all cards to set up the play. Never again, now i always save my shacles if i see someone buffing a unit like crazy.

Top Bottom