• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Tragedies in Gaming History (Lost Games)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Everytime I see a thread like this, everytime I have to post this:

7jOAtYvYTSmP4pTm7_-2jQ.png

WnceVam8QqWCFqrdB0QnVA.png

UVmstdO7QvSckMgSuNtPDw.png

SOMLQaPcRsycOPImD8H7QA.png

xon_LmFlSRu9N7fn8GOs-g.png

What a damn shame...

Oh, what could have been. There really aren't enough AAA open-world pirate games. I suspect that played a large part in the positive reception of Black Flag even among those who'd grown weary of the franchise. I have my fingers and toes crossed that Skull & Bones will have a substantial SP campaign, but the fact Ubi announced it after the Steam page went up, which just lists online multiplayer, leads me to believe it'll be something half-baked a la For Honor.

daveo42

Banned
For me, it was what we lost when the second disc of Xenogears was gutted to make release and budget. 20-30 hours of game reduced to a few fights and a 2hr text dump. On the same note, plans to do the entire saga and only getting one tiny portion of the story. Sure, we eventually got Xenosaga, but it's just not the same.

dyergram

Og duke forever should of been great! Unfourtunately what we got managed to destroy duke3d's legacy as well. And of course the other prey 2 looked brilliant and fresh.

GulAtiCa

Series that never got completed

Viewtiful Joe never getting the promised 3rd game. =(

In that regard. Bloodrayne never got completed too. Bloodryane 2 even had a damn cliffhanger lol. There was a XBLA game a while back for 360 and so on, so series isn't totally lost. But I don't believe it has been completed yet.

Fury451

Banned
Silent Hills will always be #1 for me. It was really too good to be true...
MGSV sure does hurt, but I adore what Kojima has managed to do despite the cut content.

Silent Hills having Junji Ito as part of the team is what makes it a true tragedy.

uzumaki.jpg

tumblr_lj9qoq4dEZ1qfwypjo1_500.jpg

Probably team ico not being around anymore. It's partly due to them because of the last guardian development history but all their games were 10/10 for me and inspired so many developers. Can only hope the new ueda team can deliver.
Also the whole kojima production team treatment from konamiz

Series that never got completed

Viewtiful Joe never getting the promised 3rd game. =(

This is the one. It's honestly a bigger deal to me than Half-Life 3.

Also, as far as lost games go, I never played Too Human and don't know if anyone actually misses it, but it definitely goes in the Uniracers file of completed games that are gone for good beyond the copies already in the wild. It seemed like a bigger deal once upon a time when the Xbox 360 was gunning for big exclusives and Silicon Knights had enough cachet coming out of the GameCube that people were talking about them as a near-repeat of what happened with Rare.

collige

Banned
I always wondered what happened to Sadness. The premise seemed really strong.

Fear & Respect could have been awesome too if it came out.

MGSV being as incomplete as it was is a tragedy, but I'm of the mind (please don't hate me) that it wouldn't really fix what was broken about the game. I just think Kojima's general sense of design was a dud here. The episodic style just didn't work at all.

I'll miss FFVersusXIII to my dying day. I'm well aware that all it was was a pile of concepts, but man, those concepts were fucking cool. Having three separate XIII games over the full console generation just twisted the knife that much more.

Silent Hills, despite me never playing the originals, had MASSIVE potential. Junji Ito, Kojima, Del Toro and Norman Reedus. That's like the most twisted cake ever baked. It would have been glorious.

Skull and Bones not being the pirate game I wanted. God dammit Ubisoft why don't you want my money!?

I always wondered what happened to Sadness. The premise seemed really strong.

Sadness (we're talking about that black-and-white European game for the Wii, yes?) was so obviously vapourware from the start that I couldn't (and still can't) believe the credulity of everyone whose wishful thinking led them to hope it was ever anything more than vapourware. It speaks volumes about the thirst of a certain underserved demographic on the Wii that the minutest, vaguest pre-production artwork got them that excited.

C.Mongler

I was all aboard this thread until I got to the Hot Takes section, otherwise titled Games released in an unfinished or rushed state. Like sure those weren't AAAA, everything-you-wanted-and-more releases, but come on, have you played a literally broken, unfinished game before? All those listed at least, for the most part, worked. If you thought it was disappointing, fine, but that's different than literally being nonfunctional.

sflufan

Banned
I was all aboard this thread until I got to the Hot Takes section, otherwise titled Games released in an unfinished or rushed state. Like sure those weren't AAAA, everything-you-wanted-and-more releases, but come on, have you played a literally broken, unfinished game before? All those listed at least, for the most part, worked. If you thought it was disappointing, fine, but that's different than literally being nonfunctional.

Yeah, that last category really has no business being part of this overall discussion. As for the "real" categories of this discussion, I will always have a hole in my gaming heart for "City of Metronome":

http://kotaku.com/5897582/on-the-trail-of-metronome-the-sound-bending-marvel-that-never-was

arhra

Psygnosis in the Publisher/Developer category.

They released a ton of awesome stuff in the 16-bit era, bought by Sony just before the PlayStation released, but still put out a good variety of games on PSX, then got turned into a Wipeout factory, renamed Studio Liverpool, and eventually killed after Wipeout's popularity dwindled.

Lost Planet 3 turn into a generic western story driven TPS.

Consider that Lost Planet 2 was one of the best Japanese third person shooter ever made I'd say that's a terrible tragedy.

The series went from this

57B617D20A0C3814D245239CF679001D4CEA3354

zfYCkpd.gif

K3aNuxf.gif

15XrJwb.gif

to this

LP3Finalized.gif

Duxxy3

More personal, but I think this should rank...

Back in the late 90's I let my brother take my Saturn and 20 games to college. So he had something to play. I think I had a PS1 by that point.

He lost, broke or sold all of it. The system. The controllers. Everything. Dragon Force was one of those games. Nights Christmas was in there as well. Nights and the 3D pad. Both Panzer Dragoon games.

Spacejaws

The actual Prey 2 is, like, one of the best slow-paced FPS since STALKER. What are the odds the cancelled Prey incarnation would have been better than this? There honestly zero reason to lament the cancellation of that game given how good the actual sequel we got is. Hell, Prey 1 was completely average. There was no reason for Prey 2 to turn out this fucking good.

I would give you this if Prey was actually a sequel but it's kinda like if following Metal Gear Solid 2 Konami somehow released Splinter Cell and called it a sequel after showing clips of a real continuation of the franchise. Not a bad game but I for one loved Prey 1 and wanted to see that world developed and the direction it was going in was incredibly intriguing.

The original Prey 2 not seeing the light of day (outside of the trailer and some images).

MGSV not being fully finished because Konami is a bunch of assholes.

EA killing Westwood. I find that they made better RTSs than Blizzard.

It's really weird seeing all the hate for Bioshock Infinite these days.

I remember when it released the praise was so insanely effusive it was insane. Including Adam Sessler's pretentious word vomit review praising the themes of the game to no end.

Now apparently the game is and always has been shit.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, as Resident Evil 4 is near-universally beloved, and personally it's probably one of the 20-or-so best games I've ever played. It's probably still my favorite third-person shooter game.

That said, I'm still heartbroken that Resident Evil 3.5 was cancelled. The initial version of RE4 that they showed, with the black fog and the castle and Leon being infected, is probably my most-wanted game ever. It looked to be the ultimate RE game, the culmination of the long-running story and a continuation of the dark, gritty stylistic approach that REmake and RE0 had. I was crushed when they scrapped it in favor of more action and less horror, and despite the final game being a masterpiece in its own right, it was never the RE4 that I wanted.

It hurts more because of the direction of the series since then, and the direction of the survival horror genre as a whole. Had that game come out instead of the final RE4, how many more "traditional" RE games would we have gotten? What would the series look like today? What about its contemporaries, Fatal Frame and Silent Hill?

Maybe RE 3.5 would have been crap and what happened was for the best, but the tragedy is never knowing what might have been. Put it this way -- in my mind's eye of everything that I hoped that game would be, nothing that's come out since has approached that potential.

Babylon 5 game with the creator J. Michael Straczynski writing the story was cancelled despite being playable due to management changes

Sotha_Sil

NoLF is a good one for obvious reasons.

I would say the loss of Monolith as a FPS developer is the real tragedy. These guys released NoLF, NoLF 2, Condemned, Condemned 2, FEAR, FEAR 2, Tron 2.0, and AVP in a 10-year span. 8 critically acclaimed and unique FPS games. Now they make generic LotR action games.

Mozendo

Project Wiki
an MMO that got shut down. People say Nintendo sued them since it looked a lot like windwaker but I don't think any court records were made public

There honestly zero reason to lament the cancellation of that game given how good the actual sequel we got is.
"Why do people care about a game that seemed promising when I enjoyed the reboot?! Stop complaining people!"

Jeff-DSA

Star Control 3 being developed by anybody but Toys for Bob. Kills me that one of the best games of all time didn't get a worthy sequel.

Steejee

UO:X/UO2's various iterations, all cancelled

Ultima IX in general (and VIII) - EA murdered an amazing franchise right after the growing brilliance of the IV/V/VI/VII set of games. IX was a total clusterfuck and basically ended one of the greatest CRPG series with a whimper instead of a bang.

Anachronox 2 - It'll never happen, and the first game shall retain its "Most brutal cliffhanger in gaming" status in my mind as a result.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Lost Planet 3 turn into a generic western story driven TPS.

Consider that Lost Planet 2 was one of the best Japanese third person shooter ever made I'd say that's a terrible tragedy.

I'm gonna have to stand up for Lost Planet 3 and say I very strongly disagree, in fact I'd probably consider LP3 my favourite game in the trilogy.

My biggest disappointment was going from Lost Planet 1 to 2 which I still don't really like to this day. Lost Planet 1 was fantastic, Lost Planet 2....not so much. I don't like how coop focused it became, wasn't a fan of that change at all, still not a fan of it. I played through it with 3 friends and by the end we couldn't wait for it to be finished.

With LP3 I thought it was a fantastically well written game and dialogue with characters I genuinely cared about, especially Jim. It works brilliantly as a prequel to LP1 as well. It's obviously a bit different gameplay wise compared to the first two but I still loved it, especially with how physical Jims RIG was and being able to play your own music in it was great. Was one of my favourite games the year it came out.

Top Bottom