• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Tragedies in Gaming History (Lost Games)

HKA6A7

The actual Prey 2 is, like, one of the best slow-paced FPS since STALKER. What are the odds the cancelled Prey incarnation would have been better than this? There honestly zero reason to lament the cancellation of that game given how good the actual sequel we got is. Hell, Prey 1 was completely average. There was no reason for Prey 2 to turn out this fucking good.
'cept that he is right, Prey 2 doesn't exist, at all. What we've got, is a "reboot" that has nothing to do with the original universe and it's concepts. In fact, it has been openly admitted that it was developed as a "System Shock 3".

The new Prey is not bad, but the tragedy is still there:
That bounty hunter, cyberpunk fantasy is lost, along with all the lore and ideas that the first game introduced.

Teh Lurv

Hellraiser for the NES is lost to time. Color Dreams was working on a video game adaptation when they became Wisdom Tree. As I understand it, all the development material for the game was thrown away.

While I agree that Silent Hills was potentially a huge loss, I'm more torn up about the Team Silent SH5 that was supposedly in pre-production in 2004. Based on old interviews it sounded like they were interested in doing some pretty ambitious things.

We ended up with the outsourced Homecoming from Double Helix and the wizards of Team Silent tossed into the wind. :(

big fake

Surprised MGSV hasn't gotten a post yet. Released in an unfinished form, and its essentially the end of the series at this point.

And don't get me wrong, I love Phantom Pain, but it's still clearly unfinished.

Survive, while clearly a spin-off, inspires no confidence they can continue the series after Kojima's departure. Could be argued the series is essentially dead
Did you even see how far ahead of the curb that game was with its mechanics and movement system. It was literally Titanfall before Titanfall. Had an insanely compelling location and a great premises. And from what we were told about the ending that never came to fruition the game was going to be breaking the 4th wall. This game had so much potential it could have accelerated the FPS genre before this gen.

Also what hurts Prey2 fans most is that this new incarnation is completely different and is just using the name. It has no real reason to, the first Prey was not well sold inspite being a great game. It's indeed a tragedy that Bethesda hamstrung the team into oblivion.

Ahasverus

Konami's loss is the biggest gaming tragedy of them all, because of that company literally has some of gamings few classic franchises under it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly believe Devils Third would have turned out a much better game if it had remained with THQ and had finished development and been released on PC/XB1/PS4. I'm grateful for Nintendo picking it up and letting Itagaki finishing it but I believe the development hell that game went through just didn't lend itself to quality at the end.

In terms of games being rushed you have:

Call Of Duty 3
Crackdown 2

Both made in less than a year and it shows.

In terms of games that never came out you have:

Six Days In Fallujah.

Can't speak for its quality or anything but a shame it never came out regardless.

No Megaman Legends 3? Y'all slacking

I get a feeling that MVC:I may be joining the unfinished state list depending on its launch content. I would argue that while I loved Splatoon, it's beginning state belongs on that list as well.
Mml3 is the fucking worst loved both especially the first game rented so many damn times

Lime

Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4 being lost forever

No one lives forever never coming out on GOG/Steam because big companies suck ass

Mechwarrior and Mechcommander only being lost because Microsoft doesn't know it is sitting on the IP

BasilZero

Hudson now owned by konami

Banjo kazooie now owned by MS

Breath of fire is now a mobile/mmo

Chrono series forgotten

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
-Nolan Bushnell leaving Atari, only for a bunch of suits to take over with no clue how to run a videogame company.

- The fact that many of our most loved publishers have practically disappeared, taking with them some of the greatest franchises ever made.

element

AHHzpME.png
I really don't get why people freak out about this. All the parts in the Xbox Alpha kits are off the shelf parts. Generic Intel Mobo, Intel Celeron 733A and Geforce 2. The XDK software has been floated for years, so there isn't anything special in the actual hardware on those kits.

My list:
True Fantasy Online (it was rough though)
HumanHead Prey 2
Star Wars 1313
This is Vegas - Almost had The Hangover licensed added to it as a last ditch attempt

Jeff-DSA

Too Human becoming a trash fire was pretty tragic. Game was pure hype for so dang long.

I remember mild hype for Four Horseman of the Apocalypse. The E3 demo sucked though. No surprise it got canned. It would have been too much to try and salvage.

Philippo

/thread

And I'm not trying to shit on XV.

I actually enjoyed XV.

But VsXIII was on another level.

Yep, that's what i wanted to say.

We all expected VsXIII to redeem Square Enix, save JRPGs and gaming in general, it was the Second Coming of Jesus of Videogaming.

Mr. Tibbs

My list:
True Fantasy Online (it was rough though)
HumanHead Prey 2
Star Wars 1313
This is Vegas - Almost had The Hangover licensed added to it as a last ditch attempt

Ha, that's amazing! I really loved Surreal's Suffering games, and would definitely have checked out TiV.

Human Head's Prey 2 (was an awesome game)
Amen: The Awakening
Looking Glass Software's Deep Cover
X-COM: Alliance (there's a couple of incomplete alpha builds floating around online)
Van Buren (according to this in-depth podcast with Chris Avellone, Black Isle had two attempts at Fallout 3)
Obsidian's Aliens: Crucible and Dwarfs - at the very least, would like to know more about these two.

Panzer Dragoon Saga still hurts like hell. One of the best RPGs ever made.
Speaking of Saturn games, Sonic Xtreme getting cancelled was a crushing disappointment at the time.

element

The source code to the Bladerunner adventure game is apparently lost.
I doubt it is lost. Probably on crazy lockdown due to all the different licenses required to do anything with it. I'm sure some dev has a CD with it someplace, just can't really do anything with it.

One reason why 'source code' is lost with many Japanese games is many of them didn't use any form of Source Control until early 2000's.

Pedersen

The cancellation of Sam & Max: Freelance Police. That one was pretty devastating and losing the original voice actors later made me not even want to play the episodes.

Loss or demise of a publisher/developer:

Panzer Dragoon Saga - Lost source code

So regarding the source code for that. It was assumed for the longest time that the source code was indeed lost, this was remarked by some ex-Team Andromeda members.

However, several years ago, Giancarlo Varanini at GameTap (old online game distribution service) apparently were working on a PC port of Saga using the original source code given to them by Sega. It was supposed to be the last game released on their service, sadly they shut down before development completed.

Unfortunately, he never went into further detail, so it's hard to state if it was indeed actual source code or if they were given the go-ahead from Sega to make a wrapper off the compiled code.

I hope we see a day where Panzer Dragoon Saga see's the light of day again. I want to believe.

Selandrile

Neo Member
The future of the Mass Effect series. With the relative failure of Andromeda the Mass Effect franchise's future is in doubt. I entirely blame EA for this. Before Andromeda I felt Bioware was pretty safe but after that I fear the chopping block looms closer by the day.

Hylian7

Probably should label this. I made a post on this one though.

The-World-Ends-With-You-2-character.jpg

Let me educate you on the sad tale of a sequel that we were never 100% sure existed, but likely did and was cancelled.

The World Ends With You was an incredible game that came out on the DS. It had an extremely unique battle system, and many mechanics that separated it from RPGs out there. The story was great too. It was a fresh take on the genre. Unfortunately it's sales didn't seem to meet Square Enix's expectations.

Back in 2012, a countdown on the TWEWY website started. Now most people know the warning signs for a Square Enix countdown:

Kjwis9z.jpg

Many people, including myself, chose to ignore it and had high hopes for whatever this was. The countdown added new layers of a godlike remix of music from the game. Then we saw some concerning posts from Duckroll. It wasn't looking good.

About a day before the end of the countdown, the result was leaked. A new soundtrack was coming out, that was probably it.

Then the countdown ended and there was technically more to it, however not what people were hoping for. Instead it was an iOS version with a gimped version of the battle system. The soundtrack release was nice, and there was new music for the iOS version, but it was a still a huge letdown.

Then when people finished the iOS version and finished the secret boss, they were rewarded with the image at the top of this post. No explanation behind it, just there. It was clearly a teaser for what was likely a TWEWY sequel. This was all back in 2012. To this day we have heard nothing concrete on what happened to the TWEWY sequel. Many believe that it was silently cancelled. It's a damn tragedy that this sequel was likely cancelled, and even sadder that we never got to see any of it.

Viewtiful Joe 3. Captain Blue said there'd be 2 more times where a hero must stand up to defend us... that day never came.

No, Double Trouble and Red Hot Rumble didn't count

Added Star Wars Galaxies - pre-NGE. Legacy WoW is also possible, but is way more accessible.

I'd go earlier with SWG and say pre-Combat Upgrade SWG.

Prior to the CU, mobs behaved according to their traits. So some mobs would always aggro and others would not. Post-CU mobs would behave according to their level and yours, so as long as your level was high enough, previous aggro mobs would no longer aggro.

Ruined the game for sure, and the concept was ludicrous: how would a bantha possibly know you're a higher level. Such bullshit.

It's really weird seeing all the hate for Bioshock Infinite these days.

I remember when it released the praise was so insanely effusive it was insane. Including Adam Sessler's pretentious word vomit review praising the themes of the game to no end.

Now apparently the game is and always has been shit.

Bioshock Infinite didn't deserve the praise it originally got and it doesn’t deserve the hate it now gets. Bioshock Infinite is a good but not great game. Here are some of its problems:

1. It starts out slow. There is very little combat in the first half hour and the story content is boring.

2. The game hid a lot of the tapes which had story content. This made it harder to understand what was going on. Tapes were not hidden in Bioshock 1.

3. The combat in the game is good but not great.

4. The final boss has a time limit. This sucks and made me not beat the game on hard mode. I did beat it on normal mode.

5. The game’s levels felt more linear than Bioshock 1. I felt Bioshock had a better level design.

6. Bioshock 1 had a good story with a good enemy. I really liked learning how Rapture fell. I also liked Bioshock 1’s antagonist. Bioshock Infinite’s story was hard to understand and just wasn’t interesting. I still don’t get what happened at the end of the game.

Bioshock Infinite didn't deserve the praise it originally got and it doesn’t deserve the hate it now gets. Bioshock Infinite is a good but not great game. Here are some of its problems:

1. It starts out slow. There is very little combat in the first half hour and the story content is boring.

2. The game hid a lot of the tapes which had story content. This made it harder to understand what was going on. Tapes were not hidden in Bioshock 1.

3. The combat in the game is good but not great.

4. The final boss has a time limit. This sucks and made me not beat the game on hard mode. I did beat it on normal mode.

5. The game’s levels felt more linear than Bioshock 1. I felt Bioshock had a better level design.

6. Bioshock 1 had a good story with a good enemy. I really liked learning how Rapture fell. I also liked Bioshock 1’s antagonist. Bioshock Infinite’s story was hard to understand and just wasn’t interesting. I still don’t get what happened at the end of the game.

I agree with all of that. Just weird how the overreaction positively at the beginning swung so far to an overreaction negatively. But I guess it is the internet after all.

Top Bottom